Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't think so. It was there last year though I believe.

Lynx Winters posted:

Sign up anyway because even if you lose you will still come away with new people to play who will probably not mind helping you get better.

Buhbuhj posted:

It's day 1 so barely anyone is going to have any time with the game prior to the tourney. I'm sure there are going to be some people that can get by on pure fundamentals but I wouldn't worry about it.

Cool, sounds good. I'll sign up soon. I don't mind losing at all so worst case scenario is me being a fun practice funny.

Also sorry if I bothered anyone with the post I got banned for. I wasn't trying to be a douche but it probably wasn't the best thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Final FNF before release!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/728881
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/728883
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/728885

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Has there been any custom Peacock stick art yet?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

One thing that concerns me after watching these videos is that the infinite prevention system seems way too sensitive. There was like 5 or 6 different moments in that video where they could burst out despite not being in anything even mildly resembling an infinite.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
I forget did we already know about the Rockafeller laugh on happy birthdays? Also what is that Filia color a reference of I swear it's something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AXE COP posted:

One thing that concerns me after watching these videos is that the infinite prevention system seems way too sensitive. There was like 5 or 6 different moments in that video where they could burst out despite not being in anything even mildly resembling an infinite.

It doesn't resemble an infinite because it stops it before it gets obvious. :v:

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
I wonder if having customizable assists is gonna make alpha counters more prevalent than in other fighting games?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GOD THIS GAME IS SO CLOSE NOW I CAN ALMOST TOUCH IT AAAAAAAAH

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Zaa Boogie posted:

Final FNF before release!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/728883

I didn't notice before, but it looks like characters lose their red health for DHCing in. Has that always been how it is in this game?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Xuuel posted:

I wonder if having customizable assists is gonna make alpha counters more prevalent than in other fighting games?

You can do a lot of crazy/dumb stuff with alpha counters in this game. For example, special moves can be kara-cancelled into supers. This lets you do something like Cerecopter for an assist, and alpha counter cerebella in, and kara cancel into 360 super to punish stuff that feels like it should be safe.

You can also set unconventional stuff like dashing to the assist, and then crouch cancel it (if the character can wavedash) off an alpha counter to be mostly safe-ish and maybe have some cool punish opportunities.

Alpha countering owns in this game and I can't wait for people other than mike z to start doing it.

Eeevil posted:

I didn't notice before, but it looks like characters lose their red health for DHCing in. Has that always been how it is in this game?

Yeah, that's how it was in all the old vs games. Marvel 3 bucked the trend because ?????

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Just wanted to post some awesome Peacock stuff I've been getting linked to me.

http://askpeacock.tumblr.com/post/19614519344/can-anyone-guess-what-day-it-is

This guy owns.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AXE COP posted:

It's because the IPS rule is so basic that it catches anything that even resembles a loop.

The rule is, "Don't link into a move you've used before."

The upside to it is that it's impossible to perform an infinite that doesn't break that rule. The downside is that you have to be really creative with your combos to make them last beyond, say, 3 or 4 links (which is a secret upside for spectators).

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

AXE COP posted:

Bits of explanation from SRK:

Mr. X posted:

Round 2

@1:10 jHP - Section 1 The combo into Blockbuster was section - Section 2 Combo after Blockbuster - Section 3 Combo after Launcher - Section 4
IPS kicks in because Section 5 began with the same starter as Section 3

@1:55 Ground chain - Section 1 Air Series - Section 2 Combo into Super after landing - Section 3
IPS kicks in at Section 4 because after wall bounce of Blockbuster, his combo began with the same move that started section 3

Round 3

@1:33 I think there was an air dash cancel before the first jMP which began Section 3 (Section 1 being the ground chain, Section 2 being post launcher and pre-air dash cancel) after Blockbuster, he used jMP to combo after the wall bounce

Also

Mike Z posted:

Good thinking. More like to showcase the existence of the IPS, but yeah, they're 100% on purpose.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I plan on playing Solo Parasoul so these videos are very enlightening and exciting.

Using the tear pop to pick someone off the ground after the crumple from sniper shot into launch is just so :swoon:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Man, I'm so excited for this that I'm playing through all my fighting games, which I now realize is a lot, in like an 80's style training montage.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

IN one of those videos, the announcer says "this is tuna with bacon!" for his show time bit. What's that a reference to?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

IN one of those videos, the announcer says "this is tuna with bacon!" for his show time bit. What's that a reference to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpM0irAOZvA

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Boxman posted:

Capcom vs SNK 2's London stage had a slight chorus to it. You would often hear "This is true love we makin'", but needless to say, the voice makes that particular line sound ambiguous, so... it's another fighting game in-joke.

EDIT: ^ or that.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Can this be this be the Skullgirls version of the club avatars?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm gonna go with no. Hopefully there's no club avatars this time, even though I made like 20 of them last time :(.

darkjeffro
Oct 19, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is this going to be newbie friendly or are most of you fairly decent at fighting games? I'd really love to join but I don't see myself doing very well at all.

I'm not very good at fighting games, but I'll give it a whirl too

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Two days away people! Get hype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgOvyEAqME

Thankfully this game is coming out the day after I finish two big exams, and not the other way around.

I wanted a Ms. Fortune club avatar with text "It costs an arm and a leg to get into this club!" but if Buhbuhj won't make it again for me out of the kindness of his big buh heart I don't know who will. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Saw a Cerebella at PAXE with what amounted to a gigantic cheeto on her head.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SpaceBees posted:

I wanted a Ms. Fortune club avatar with text "It costs an arm and a leg to get into this club!" but if Buhbuhj won't make it again for me out of the kindness of his big buh heart I don't know who will. :(
I have access to PhotoShop! :science:

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2012

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If I hadn't just switched to the Archer club I'd be all over one of Ms. Fortune's seperated head and its derpy expressions.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

Saw a Cerebella at PAXE with what amounted to a gigantic cheeto on her head.

Dangerously Cheesy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Saint Freak posted:

Dangerously Cheesy.

Can't wait for the Chester Cheetah reveal trailer.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

dj_de posted:

I forget did we already know about the Rockafeller laugh on happy birthdays? Also what is that Filia color a reference of I swear it's something.
I kind of want to say Battletoads.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Dangerously Cheesy.

To be fair Cerebella is probably the hardest character in the game to cosplay.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There was a pretty good Valentine too, didn't get a pic

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I guess you could go hatless, but that's missing her second biggest asset.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SpaceBees posted:

Dude, Double.

(unless you wanna cheat and use her pre-fight look but gently caress that)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

SpaceBees posted:

I'm pretty sure doing some Balloon work would make a good Samson [I think that's the hat's name..]

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Holy crap Painwheel has a Pleinair color scheme, that loving owns. Anyone know if Parasoul has a Mitsuru Kirijou scheme? Their overall appearances are extremely similar.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Vanrushal posted:

Anyone know if Parasoul has a Mitsuru Kirijou scheme?

She most definitely has one. I'm pretty sure it was one they chose to show off when talking about palette swap references early on in the game's life.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

I'm pretty sure doing some Balloon work would make a good Samson [I think that's the hat's name..]

Samson is filia's hair, Vice-Versa is Cerebella's hat ^_^

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The upside to it is that it's impossible to perform an infinite that doesn't break that rule. The downside is that you have to be really creative with your combos to make them last beyond, say, 3 or 4 links (which is a secret upside for spectators).

Wouldn't this place more of an emphasis on hitting the same bnbs over and over though?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV oh god

kater fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 8, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

I was watching the IGN preview of Ms. Fortune from awhile back and realized that when she grabs you and puts you in the yarn ball for her back throw, the yarn is actually made of the muscle tissue of her legs, and her legs disappear during the animation and reattach when she's done. Its the little things that make this game great.

Overbite posted:

There was a pretty good Valentine too, didn't get a pic

That's really unfortunate. Were there anymore cosplayers?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

kater posted:

Wouldn't this place more of an emphasis on hitting the same bnbs over and over though?
frankly, it's too early to tell. At the very least it won't look boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

kater posted:

Fights will basically resemble this but with less floating and mashing to build meter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

But the trick is that you can extend a combo by varying the moves used in the combo, and being careful what you use to start chains. So, for instance, the following no longer works due to Peacock changes but the combo itself is totally legit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmoqIYzba38

edit: details

Shoryuken Wiki posted:

The complete combo can be written out as:
j.MK, j.HP xx air dash, j.MP, c.HP, s.HK xx qcf+LK, s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK, walk forward, s.MP (lander) > s.HK xx qcf+LK, walk forward, s.LK (lander) > s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK, walk forward, c.LK > s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK, walk forward, c.LP > s.MP (lander) > s.HK xx qcf+LK, s.MK xx super jump, j.MP, j.LP > j.MP, s.LP > s.LP > s.MP > s.HP xx qcf+MP, wall bounce, knockdown, c.MK > s.HP xx qcf+HK xx qcf+PP
Breaking this up into what the IPS considers loops gives the following:
  • j.MK > j.HP xx air dash, j.MP - The 1st loop, ignored by IPS, ending when the attacking character hits the ground.
  • c.HP, s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 2nd loop, also ignored by IPS, ending with a non-cancelled special move.
  • s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 3rd loop, and the first watched by IPS. IPS sees s.MP as the opening move of the chain and the loop ends with a non-cancelled special move. Even if there was an infinite detected here, the Infinite Escape will not trigger on the third loop.
  • s.MP (land) > s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 4th loop, starting with s.MP, ending with a non-cancelled special move. s.MP will trigger infinite detection if used to start a loop for the third time.
  • s.LK (land) > s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 5th loop, starting with s.LK, ending with a non-cancelled special move.
  • c.LK > s.MP > s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 6th loop, starting with c.LK, ending with a non-cancelled special move.
  • c.LP > s.MP (land) > s.HK xx qcf+LK - The 7th loop, starting with a c.LP, ending with a non-cancelled special move. This sequence shows IPS does not care about landers.
  • s.MK - The 8th loop, a lonely s.MK. This single move loop ends with the super jump cancel.
  • j.MP, j.LP > j.MP - The 9th loop, starting with j.MP, ending when the attacking character hits the ground.
  • s.LP > s.LP > s.MP > s.HP xx qcf+MP - The 10th loop, starting with s.LP, ending with a non-cancelled special move. The defending character enters a normal knockdown after the ground bounce.
  • c.MK > s.HP xx qcf+HK xx qcf+PP - The 11th loop, ending the combo. This starts with c.MK, using the one OTG hit for the combo.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 8, 2012

• Locked thread