Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
God drat nuts & bolt store didn't have any hardened metric bolts for my Konis.

"You can order a box of 25.." doesn't really help me when I just need one or two bolts to suck the inserts into my strut housings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had to order some from Fastenal. I'll have my M12x1.50 65mm bolts for this long weekend.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wonder what the wife would think of some Star Specs? She's already chewed through most of the front tires at 25,000km.

I'd also like to get winter rims for the van (or find some Mazda6 17" rims and mount the summer rubber to that).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

God drat nuts & bolt store didn't have any hardened metric bolts for my Konis.

"You can order a box of 25.." doesn't really help me when I just need one or two bolts to suck the inserts into my strut housings.

Usually the local dealer will sell them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

Usually the local dealer will sell them.

It's not a factory bolt - it's the provided one from Koni that holds the strut insert into the bottom of the housing. I just need a longer bolt until the insert is deep enough, then switch to the provided one.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockington posted:

It's not a factory bolt - it's the provided one from Koni that holds the strut insert into the bottom of the housing. I just need a longer bolt until the insert is deep enough, then switch to the provided one.

So wait, why would you need the hardened one if it's only an install tool?

Annnnd what I imagine yours will look like:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sterndotstern posted:

So wait, why would you need the hardened one if it's only an install tool?

I don't want it to break inside my insert and have few options to remove it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Sockington posted:

I don't want it to break inside my insert and have few options to remove it.

Why don't you just cut the housings to the size asked for in the instructions then use the supplied bolt?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It holds load when the shock is controlling rebound.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

blindjoe posted:

Why don't you just cut the housings to the size asked for in the instructions then use the supplied bolt?

The extra length doesn't really matter in the end, so it's more of an :effort: thing if I can skip cutting them again. If they aren't going in smoothly, then out comes the grinder again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't have a problem sucking mine in using the provided bolt. It's probably faster to break the grinder or drillpress out than to wait for a nicer bolt.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't have a problem sucking mine in using the provided bolt. It's probably faster to break the grinder or drillpress out than to wait for a nicer bolt.

One of the threads I was thinking of was this.

Koni says to chop off 40mm of strut housing. If you were to follow these instructions EXACTLY, you'd find the supplied bolt is too short.

quote:

2)As some have mentioned, the instructions that come with the Konis suggest that you take 40mm off the top of the stock struts when gutting the stock struts. This doesn't put the bottom threaded portion of the insert close enough to the bottom for the supplied bolt to thread up, so I ended up taking off about 62mm. This allowed just a bit of engagement with the bolt, so I could suck the inserts into the strut body.

The supplied bolt is 25mm.
I have 47mm from the bottom of my strut housings to the highest thread on the insert.

You'll notice on his photo, he cut an inch or so below the gold coloured locking caps.

I cut mine AT the gold caps. If I need to trim them again, I left that window open. If you trim too much off at once, then you're pretty much hosed. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What'd I tell you? Worked like a charm. :iamafag:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, this is going to be a fun wagon. I have a lot of the same parts on my WRX and you can have a frankly terrifying party in that car.

Combine that with a car that needs momentum driving like this, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything more fun sold new for under $40k.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, this is going to be a fun wagon. I have a lot of the same parts on my WRX and you can have a frankly terrifying party in that car.

Combine that with a car that needs momentum driving like this, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything more fun sold new for under $40k.

I really hope so. :allears: Hearing all these good things is helping me push to finish this.

Got the rest of the inserts installed this morning. Everything went smoothly. I just need to pickup some blue locktite so I can torque the bottom bolts.

So I wire-wheeled for a bit, wiped it down quickly, and covered some of the "repaired" exposed metal. I'll give everything a proper coat (even over the original undercoating where there's no rust) once I've finished all the spots where there's trouble.

(sorry for the poo poo pictures, but the wife's pretty clear about what will happen if I get paint - especially por-15 - all over the camera)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sockington posted:

(sorry for the poo poo pictures, but the wife's pretty clear about what will happen if I get paint - especially por-15 - all over the camera)

"Do you believe this? Huh? It's about the size of a cigar...Do I stutter? You see this is what you get in my house when you spill paint in the garage."

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
It'll be interesting to see how well the POR15 holds up a few years later when you decide to work on the car again. I know its supposed to be good stuff, I just have a hard time believing it'll hold up well to winter salted roads for that long.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had a bit more time today to tackle the rust. Nothing exciting.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It'll be interesting to see how well the POR15 holds up a few years later when you decide to work on the car again. I know its supposed to be good stuff, I just have a hard time believing it'll hold up well to winter salted roads for that long.
POR15 is the poo poo. I painted the undercarriage of my '66 Bel Air with it back in the day, and it looked just fine even after a couple Cleveland winters.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got some of the seams cleaned up. Rust was starting in some spots where the metal overlapped.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

POR15 on bare or lightly rusted metal will not come off ever. You'll have to grind it off.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Removed the rear sway bar.

Every bolt broke. This is going to be fun.

Cleaned off some more seam sealer to get out the rust.

A little bit whenever I can gets me closer to the finish :unsmith:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Looking good my man.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Sock, your thread is a continuous source of inspiration.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Canadian Tire guy said I could find "seam sealer" over in the tent section. :3:
My search will continue.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Sockington posted:

Canadian Tire guy said I could find "seam sealer" over in the tent section. :3:
My search will continue.

Buy some cavity wax too...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

Sock, your thread is a continuous source of inspiration.

Thanks. :allears: I think with a new set of sway bars, I'll have every piece of the suspension replaced. Should fly through the safety inspection.

ultimateforce posted:

Looking good my man.

This means a lot to me coming from a professional welder and master of project madness.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
:unsmith:

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The Por15 itself will hold up great along with what ever metal it covers. The problem comes from the inside of the stamped steel "frame rails" or whatever you want to call them. Those rails have so many little holes and perforations that they WILL rot from the inside out in a year or two longer than it'd take the outside to rust through. Even if you were to say seal those holes(ask me how I know)there will be issues because it will trap moisture.

To prevent rotting from the inside out you need a to have oil like Crown or that cosmoline stuff Zeibart uses sprayed in. God I hate salt.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or you could use this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Thanks for the info guys. That stuff leica linked sounds fantastic too, you gonna give that a shot as well Sock or is the POR15 more than enough to keep you happy for a while?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sockington posted:

I dare you to get it on your dick and report her reaction.

DARE YOU.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
that is a cute little swaybar. 13mm? does the rear end ask "did you turn yet?"

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 8, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

DARE YOU.

Oh, I'm already black from the waist down... :whatup:

Because I've been sitting in a pile of undercoating goo and rust all week. In fact, starting a bit early today and I'm sure my neighbours are going to love that. :ssh:

jamal posted:

that is a cute little swaybar. 13mm? does the rear end ask "did you turn yet?"

I never got to run it yet. I'm planning on contacting FUNCTION AUTO for some replacement bars soon I think. I'm sure you could relay my regards to the owner. :tipshat:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Handiest thing in the world for grinding under the car. No poo poo in the face and particle filters included.

Some of the rust at the seams I need to take care of.

After much cleaning.

After removing the seam sealer, I find another section that has already been stitch welded together. Must be from the factory this way (that last bit is for Ziploc if we meet at an autocross and I'm in the stock category :ssh:)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

DARE YOU.

He's married with a kid, his wife doesn't see his dick.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Sockington posted:

Handiest thing in the world for grinding under the car. No poo poo in the face and particle filters included.

Also handy for other things.

Where do I get one of these if I don't have a meth lab? I can't help but think it would be nicer for sandblasting than a welding mask.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
If only someone half a decade ago suggested turning a swimming pool into a full-chassis rust electrolysis chamber. It's just like what auto factories do to apply primer!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

He's married with a kid, his wife doesn't see his dick.

I wouldn't say that, she's got kid number two in the cooker. :nyd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Sockington posted:

I wouldn't say that, she's got kid number two in the cooker. :nyd:

Make sure to apply POR15 when the baby comes out so it doesn't rust.

• Locked thread