Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Cab posted:

Cool, thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a try. Should be a surge in players with the free DLC coming soon.

Marathoning uncharted has really made me want more Naughty Dog games. I want a release date for the last of us.

If your PC can run The Heist then it's probably better to just wait for a steam sale.

People weren't kidding about Uncharted 2 being a huge improvement over the first one. I'm actually enjoying the shooting segments this time. My only pet peeve is the constant "THIS CAN'T BE REAL" dialogue. In the last game you found the corpse of Francis Drake in a pit with cave zombie spanairds because there was a magic casket made of gold.

Come on, just skip the skeptical comments and make the bad guy say crazy stuff.

And I really want to punch Nolan North.

sidenote: Everyone should start playing Dog Days multiplayer because it sounds really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma since I never beat it on the Xbox and I'm starting to remember why I put this game down in the first place. I feel like I'm crazy because everybody talks about this being the best action game ever, but I hate the controls. It never feels like Ryu does what I want him too, he's too twitchy and his air control sucks. Maybe I'm too used to the Devil May Cry style of fighting, it's really difficult without a hard lock-on.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What's giving you trouble, exactly? NGS' controls are very responsive, at least for me. This isn't like DMC, you need to block half the time and find an opening. You aren't graded for variety or anything, so just stick to what works for you. Feel free to spam izuna drops and flying swallows.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

notZaar posted:

I picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma since I never beat it on the Xbox and I'm starting to remember why I put this game down in the first place. I feel like I'm crazy because everybody talks about this being the best action game ever, but I hate the controls. It never feels like Ryu does what I want him too, he's too twitchy and his air control sucks. Maybe I'm too used to the Devil May Cry style of fighting, it's really difficult without a hard lock-on.

Also the Sigma games are considered more fanservicey than the actual xbox games.

I believe the sigma controls are a little out of whack. It's clear the first priority of the team was to stuff in more content, but not worry about the porting as much.

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was a game where you had to know your combos, and wait for good opportunities to attack. It's also fabled for it's difficulty, of which was mostly toned in sigma 1 and 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

The absolute biggest difference between NG and DMC is that DMC is offensive and Ninja Gaiden is defensive.

With DMC, everything you do is designed to get you to attack. The most defensive move you have is Royal Guard and even that is much better used offensively to tank a hit than as a turtle.

With Ninja Gaiden, you really are looking for openings in the enemy's defenses to pull off a simple combo, usually the Izuna Drop. You're not looking for long combo strings, just simple safe attacks. If you're having trouble with air control, it is probably because you're jumping when you shouldn't be.

Also, Sigma and Sigma 2 just are not as good as the X-Box originals. It's been so long since I played Sigma that I can't say how noticeable the differences are, but the difference between it and Black was pretty noticeable when i played it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah that explains why I always liked DMC so much better, I didn't like how Ninja Gaiden was so defensive and rewarded spamming the same couple of moves.

Also, NG1 came out at the same time as DMC1 right? By the time you get to DMC3 the series has become tons better but NG just fell in quality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also, NG1 came out at the same time as DMC1 right? By the time you get to DMC3 the series has become tons better but NG just fell in quality.

Not even close. There was a three year difference. NG1 came out close to DMC2 than DMC3.

They really are different games though. High level play in NG is nothing like high level play in DMC. Liking one doesn't really mean you're going to like the other because they both have different strengths and weaknesses.

Now it has just become a question of if DmC is going to be worse than NG3... :smith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

The absolute biggest difference between NG and DMC is that DMC is offensive and Ninja Gaiden is defensive.

With DMC, everything you do is designed to get you to attack. The most defensive move you have is Royal Guard and even that is much better used offensively to tank a hit than as a turtle.

With Ninja Gaiden, you really are looking for openings in the enemy's defenses to pull off a simple combo, usually the Izuna Drop. You're not looking for long combo strings, just simple safe attacks. If you're having trouble with air control, it is probably because you're jumping when you shouldn't be.

Also, Sigma and Sigma 2 just are not as good as the X-Box originals. It's been so long since I played Sigma that I can't say how noticeable the differences are, but the difference between it and Black was pretty noticeable when i played it.

I didn't find there to be that much of a difference between Sigma and Black to be honest. There was some added content that most people would say suck, but I don't think they made the original content any worse.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Spermando posted:

What's giving you trouble, exactly? NGS' controls are very responsive, at least for me. This isn't like DMC, you need to block half the time and find an opening. You aren't graded for variety or anything, so just stick to what works for you. Feel free to spam izuna drops and flying swallows.

Sometimes it just seems so random, it drives me nuts. Last time I played this game I gave up at Alma, right now I'm early on and getting unconsensually sexed by the spider clan ninjas. It seems like one time I'll kill them easily, and another time I'll get destroyed instantly. The problem with combos and such is that it's hard for me to tell exactly what pressing an attack button will do, because so many of the combos and moves are very context sensitive.
The game also definitely plays like a last gen title: continuing in this game takes too long, there's no automatic saving, and the camera sometimes really sucks. The level designers like to ambush you around corners and the camera does not keep up. Still, I'll keep at it, at least until I find a copy of the DMC HD collection.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Now it has just become a question of if DmC is going to be worse than NG3... :smith:

I dunno, despite all the hate it's getting the videos of the game play in the new DMC look pretty cool. It does look a little stiffer but it still looks combo-tastic. NG3 always looked awful.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

notZaar posted:

Sometimes it just seems so random, it drives me nuts. Last time I played this game I gave up at Alma, right now I'm early on and getting unconsensually sexed by the spider clan ninjas. It seems like one time I'll kill them easily, and another time I'll get destroyed instantly. The problem with combos and such is that it's hard for me to tell exactly what pressing an attack button will do, because so many of the combos and moves are very context sensitive.
Don't think of them as combos - Ninja Gaiden has almost flat combo hierarchies, with very few chains (and only one or two you actually want to use). Focus more on dodging and maneuvering until you see an opening, then sprinting in to punish it. Ideally, sprinting at them ALONG A WALL because that's awesome.

The trick with the spider clan guys is avoidance. Learn to dodge their attacks and wait, because they will punish you to hell and back if you just sprint toward a group of them. The other trick is to learn where your invulnerability frames are. Done right, you can roll through a stuck bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

The trick with the spider clan guys is avoidance. Learn to dodge their attacks and wait, because they will punish you to hell and back if you just sprint toward a group of them. The other trick is to learn where your invulnerability frames are. Done right, you can roll through a stuck bomb.

This is a really important thing. Learning what is and isn't invincible is actually a really useful skill to have in NG, moreso than even in NG, because invincibility frames can be very easily turned into an offensive opportunity where none exists normally.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Just wanted to pop in and post that holy hell, while Uncharted 1 was "pretty good," Uncharted 2 and 3 (played them back to back) are ridiculously good. Wow.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Uncharted 3's too much like 2 to be truly great, but it's still loving good. The difference in style between Uncharted 1 and 2 is great because 1 is contained in a specific area and everything felt meticulously put together, then 2 came along and its this globe spanning epic quest to save the world from bad russians.

3 felt like a step back because loads of it was kind of copy-pasted from 2 and they didn't actually answer any of the questions they promised about Drake's past i'm not counting Drake meets Sully while Sully's nobbing Helen Mirren and that's it, because that's bullshit. Also the multiplayer has project ten dollar syndrome, read from that what you will.

The series as a trilogy is fantastic though, Naughty Dog are one of the best studios around at the moment and their games have such a glorious level of polish it seems disgusting to thing that most games ship with bugs or framerate issues and have to be patched at a later date.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
like you said. Uncharted 3's issue with me is that they main storyline is fine, the main "mission", but they drop so many hints at random poo poo and "side" plotlines that never get wrapped up. But in the end its a videogame and a really good one so I wont let it bug me.

I was mad they stopped making Jak and Daxter stuff for Uncharted but then when I played it I wasnt mad anymore.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I might be in the minority (?) but I thought UC3's multiplayer was a big improvment to UC2's. I don't know what it is but something about that 3rd person traversal-heavy MP style really clicked with me, I loved them more than any FPS I've ever played and I've put in more time than all of the combined.

The SP doesn't stick out as much for me in any of the games, I'll load up the highlight levels sometimes but don't remember much of the stories for any of them. Basically if someone mentions the games, my mental picture is 1: fort, jungle 2: snow, train, helicopters 3: fire, ocean, horses. The stories are fun but IMO none of them are memorable, although the acting and production quality are obviously top-notch.

2 is the best but it's a pretty slim margin between 2 and 3. At the point where they're cheap I would say there isn't a compelling reason to not have both if you like that sort of game.

badwater
Nov 19, 2008
What was everyone's opinion on the Resistance 3 Doomsday Edition ?

Resistance 3 interests me a bit, but having the PSMove and all the stuff with it sounds pretty good. Is the Move still worth it today?

I can get the bundle for like 90 CAD. it sounds good, but I still don't know if I should.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Uncharted 3's issue with me is that they main storyline is fine, the main "mission", but they drop so many hints at random poo poo and "side" plotlines that never get wrapped up.
What side plot-lines are you referring to? I can only think of a couple that are pretty self-explanatory.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

badwater posted:

Is the Move still worth it today?
No. The move is neat in concept, but very few games have used it to the point where it would be worth a purchase.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

badwater posted:

Is the Move still worth it today?

Given the lack of support, it's worth at most 20 bucks. I would have already got rid of mine if BioShock Infinite wasn't using it in a big way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the truth posted:

Given the lack of support, it's worth at most 20 bucks. I would have already got rid of mine if BioShock Infinite wasn't using it in a big way.
It is? Please tell me it's optional and not somehow emulated in some lovely way if you're using a normal controller.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I thought UC1 was frustrating in a lot of ways, but decided to just power through it and ended up having fun with it. I thought UC2 was one of the best games on PS3 and I couldn't put it down. I think I finished it in two sittings. I had really high hopes with UC3, but something about it left me a little disappointed. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high, but in a lot of ways it did feel like a step back.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Crows Turn Off posted:

On Uncharted 3
What side plot-lines are you referring to? I can only think of a couple that are pretty self-explanatory.

There's loads of poo poo that isn't explained properly really: (sort of spoilers but not since none of it gets answered)

Drake's real identity, what actually happened to his parents and how he ended up in Cartahagna

Sully's relationship with Marlowe or his whole past for that matter

What happened between Drake and Elena to make them split up yet AGAIN

the fact that Chloe and Cutter just gently caress off for the last third of the game and aren't mentioned again and the relationship between them

They also really don't explain what the villains are up to in Iram until very late on in the last area (after you fight a couple of waves of Djinn warriors that aren't real)

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

There's loads of poo poo that isn't explained properly really: (sort of spoilers but not since none of it gets answered)

Drake's real identity, what actually happened to his parents and how he ended up in Cartahagna

Sully's relationship with Marlowe or his whole past for that matter

What happened between Drake and Elena to make them split up yet AGAIN

the fact that Chloe and Cutter just gently caress off for the last third of the game and aren't mentioned again and the relationship between them

They also really don't explain what the villains are up to in Iram until very late on in the last area (after you fight a couple of waves of Djinn warriors that aren't real)

Drakes previous identity doesn't matter because he has had his current one for the majority of his life. He latched onto Drake because he liked the idea of greatness of small beginnings. More focus is placed on if he can grow out of the adventure seeker identity that a child used to escape reality.

Sully seems to just be a treasure hunter/rogue like Drake/Chloe/Harry who are willing to work for the highest bidder, in that case Marlowe.

I wouldn't say AGAIN. I don't think there were an item between UC1 and 2. Likely Drake choosing to live a more constantly more dangerous life soured Elena on the relationship because it is the only thing she really admonishes him for.

Chloe and Cutter though, yeah, I could have used more of them but she didn't really get any strings that got left hanging in my opinion. Cutter though has been explained before in that he did indeed have his appearance cut shorter than ND would have liked.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
All what he said, I also thought there was going to be some sort of thing about the villains being immortal or unable to die or something, not only do all the main generic villains look exactly the same for the whole game, but the team makes constant remarks about how there's an endless amount of them and then that one dude gets shot in the face/heart and doesnt get phased or die.

Maybe a stretch since they cant just make every villain in the game different but even the big goon dudes are all the same guy/model in different clothes except for the one pirate.

Also there were always those spiders in every part regarding the plot items they needed.
These are tiny things, if anything it dropped my personal score from like a 9.9 to a 9.8. No big deal.

I was looking forward to god of war 3 being mailed to me from gamefly to keep the good game high going but instead it sent me something super low on my list that I just wanted to sorta play. :(

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 10, 2012

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

1 Drake's real identity, what actually happened to his parents and how he ended up in Cartahagna

4 the fact that Chloe and Cutter just gently caress off for the last third of the game and aren't mentioned again and the relationship between them

I think #1 was explained, maybe in the cafe cutscene between Yemen and the boat sequence? The devs stated that #4 wasn't supposed to be a plot hole, but the actor who played Charlie cutter had to leave early to go film The Hobbit.

Uncharted 3 was enjoyable, but it would have been better as Uncharted 2. There were too many setpieces, the climbing sequences are atrociously linear, and the narrative was weak and disjointed. I'd still recommend Uncharted 3 to just about everyone, but Naughty Dog set the bar a bit too high with Uncharted 2.

the truth fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 10, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well, Dead Souls sure is awesome.

Did I begin playing this game expecting to see Daigo in drag? No, I did not. But that's what I'm looking at right now and it is loving hilarious. And did I expect Majima to ever call Daigo "sugar tits"? Nope!

Majima is perfect in this game. He is the best crazy rear end in a top hat ever :D

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Charlie Cutter was the best character in 3 by far, especially Drakes little doodle of him with the label 'Pedantic Thug'

I don't actually mind most of the issues I just raised,it's just I would have liked more flashback sequences about the rollicking adventures of Young Drake and Sully, Marlowe mentioned Drake's mother's suicide, which just begs more answers, but it's never brought up again and there's no mention of his father

maybe a one off sequence involving Cutter having a bout of fisticuffs with the hooligans of 'Lahndahn' would be nice too(being English, I always have enjoyed the American portrayal of every english person as either being Ray Winstonish roop-de-doo cockney or a sinister posh toff)

In other news, I'm playing Enslaved, and Andy Serkis is doing his best John DiMaggio impression. Good game, one chapter left to complete, could have done with some kind of optional lock on system for the melee combat because I sometimes miss them at point blank range because the camera's gone wonky

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey nobody told me I could have bought Catherine in full from the PSN.

I don't really feel like playing it anymore but it would have been nice to know (I could not find it in any stores around here)

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

BotchedLobotomy posted:

All what he said, I also thought there was going to be some sort of thing about the villains being immortal or unable to die or something, not only do all the main generic villains look exactly the same for the whole game, but the team makes constant remarks about how there's an endless amount of them and then that one dude gets shot in the face/heart and doesnt get phased or die.
Talbot isn't really immortal. He survives being shot in the chest because he's wearing a bulletproof vest. In the part where he disappears behind a corner he used a zipline to get away.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Well, Dead Souls sure is awesome.

Did I begin playing this game expecting to see Daigo in drag? No, I did not. But that's what I'm looking at right now and it is loving hilarious. And did I expect Majima to ever call Daigo "sugar tits"? Nope!

Majima is perfect in this game. He is the best crazy rear end in a top hat ever :D

The first Yakuza game was the only one to get an English voice-over. They cast Mark Hamill as Majima.

If you can play as Japanese Joker slaughtering zombies one moment, then singing karaoke the next, I'll never need to buy another video game again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lost Planet 3: Now with dudes who have faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2UE6tJ1MBU&hd=1

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So now that Yakuza: Dead Souls has had time to settle, is it as bad as it looked or is it worth picking up when I finish my other games?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Lost Planet 3: Now with dudes who have faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2UE6tJ1MBU&hd=1

Yes yes yes yes and no no no no! I really liked how they were leaning towards a fast paced Monster Hunter in space kinda thing.

I'll be a little upset if we get a totally character driven story but I'll still buy it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Question Mark Mound posted:

So now that Yakuza: Dead Souls has had time to settle, is it as bad as it looked or is it worth picking up when I finish my other games?
It's a fun game but it's the worst in the series and the gameplay is even more repetitive than usual. The story and characters are very funny.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lost Planet 3 is another one of those Western-made Capcom games. Spark Unlimited is making it. They, uh, made such hits as "Legendary: The Box" and "Turning Point: Fall of Liberty"

Ya know, Capcom, when you picked Slant-Six to do ORC that was at least in the same ball park.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Lost Planet 3 is another one of those Western-made Capcom games. Spark Unlimited is making it. They, uh, made such hits as "Legendary: The Box" and "Turning Point: Fall of Liberty"

Ya know, Capcom, when you picked Slant-Six to do ORC that was at least in the same ball park.

Well gently caress.

Turning point was an fps that sucked balls. Legendary was too.

Well it's gonna be nearly impossible for us to get something close to lp2. Didn't lp2 do well? Why are they doing this?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

LP2 had hints of a very unique direction but apparently it didn't do all too hot.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lost-planet-2-substantially-underperformed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

They got the guys who made the loving shitpile that was Legendary? Capcom, what the hell. Have you not learned by now that "Western Developer" is not synonymous with "Good developer?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

LP2 was admittingly pretty fun, if not frustrating in multiplayer. It had some good set pieces and levels (the train was awesome). I wonder how dated LP3 will feel if it's another game on the same engine.

• Locked thread