Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

Yeah, they just afirm that they will tell the truth and understand the penalty of perjury.

Yep. Commonly the oaths are part of satisfying Rule of Evidence 603, or its state equivalent, which is pretty flexible. (Yes, I have an evidence exam in a few weeks. Don't remind me. Ugh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

entris posted:

You reveal your bias. So-called "tax cheats" are just ordinary folks patriotically defending their freedom against an over-reaching and unconstitutional governme-:barf:

Couldn't finish with a straight face.

As a tax lawyer in France, during my internship I worked in a team with very versatile clients: medium sized companies and wealthy individuals. Although I had no problem whatsoever working for companies, helping rich people pay less taxes was really the worst for me. Plus most of the time those people were unlikable half retards rambling "go'venment wont touch mah money". For companies it's different really. At least in France the texts are clear and straightforward and the tax authorities always try to find ways around them so it feels like more of an even game, at least bad faith is on both sides.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 9, 2012

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Alaemon posted:

You know how you recognize an extroverted tax attorney?

He stares at YOUR shoes when talking to you.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pro: I'm getting a lot more interviews than I was right after law school

Con: they all want someone who has worked at a law firm before

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even know why I get called in to interviews if the sticking point is always "why haven't you worked in a law firm before?"

Did nobody look at my resume?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I don't even know why I get called in to interviews if the sticking point is always "why haven't you worked in a law firm before?"

I read your prior post before you posted this, and that was my exact question.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Possibility 1) No, none of the lawyers actually looked at your resume. After you left, the head of attorney recruiting got chewed out for bringing in a candidate without any law firm experience.

Possibility 2) You are using a headhunter and they massaged your background to get you in for the interview. E.g., "Sure, he has several years of relevant experience! as a patent examiner"

Possibility 3) They are getting desperate for qualified candidates and are bringing in borderline people in the hope that someone will wow them in an interview. You failed to wow them.

Possibility 4) You did something off-putting, weird, or otherwise disqualifying, and "Lack of law firm experience" is an easy way to let you down. See also, a recruiter trying to keep your confidence up (Sure, you did great in that interview, they just wanted someone with more law firm experience!) so you keep searching with them.

Possibility 5) They were willing to hire someone without law firm experience, but ended up finding a candidate who they liked equally as well, but who had law firm experience. Ergo, the reason you didn't get hired was your lack (comparatively) of law firm experience, even though it was not an explicit requirement for the position.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 9, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

nm posted:

Yeah, they just afirm that they will tell the truth and understand the penalty of perjury.

I figured as much, but the guy was suspicious that he was being tricked. I wondered if unwilling witnesses would battle in criminal cases by pretending like the affirmation was a cloak for a secret gov't oath.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

woozle wuzzle posted:

I figured as much, but the guy was suspicious that he was being tricked. I wondered if unwilling witnesses would battle in criminal cases by pretending like the affirmation was a cloak for a secret gov't oath.

Well, constitutionalists and sovereign citizens and their ilk do it all the time, which is hilarious.

We took out the god part of our oath a while ago. "Do you swear or affirm to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, I really need to not take rejection so personally. I've been just sitting around the house moping all day. This job's way too isolating.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Man, I really need to not take rejection so personally. I've been just sitting around the house moping all day. This job's way too isolating.

Doesn't your job basically consist of you sitting on your arse half the day doing gently caress all? What are you complaining about? It sounds like you (A) have plenty of time to dedicate to your job search, (B) make more than a fair amount of money for what you currently do, and (C) actually get invited to interview at places. There's no shortage of people who would love to be in that situation; as it is, however, I have the distinct pleasure of going in to work long hours for insulting pay and come home to face my second job of figuring out how to find a new job.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not really; I've been slammed lately with a lot of work, so I'm pulling 12 hour days. Yes, it's at home, but 12 hours is 12 hours.

The thing that sucks, though, is I drop my wife off at the metro at 8:30, then she gets home at 9 from gym/rugby practice/whatever, so basically I'm completely without human interaction for 12 hours a day, five days a week.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

so basically I'm completely without human interaction for 12 hours a day, five days a week.

Which is different from being a patent prosecutor in a firm who would instead....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Which is different from being a patent prosecutor in a firm who would instead....

Maybe have interaction with another patent prosecutor while walking to the bathroom.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

Maybe have interaction with another patent prosecutor while walking to the bathroom.

Pretty much

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Pretty much

Dang man just Skype some people or something

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Chat Roulette is the best solution.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Try having people talk to you for 30 minutes before going with a "more experienced" attorney.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainScraps posted:

Try having people talk to you for 30 minutes before going with a "more experienced" attorney.

I've been more taken aback by the presumption that I don't know my way around the contents of a patent application. Hurf blurf I've only examined some 600 applications over the past five years, so it's not like I don't know the difference between a good application and a poo poo application.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I've been more taken aback by the presumption that I don't know my way around the contents of a patent application. Hurf blurf I've only examined some 600 applications over the past five years, so it's not like I don't know the difference between a good application and a poo poo application.

I feel your pain man. I think we've got the same problem from different sides of the coin.

gently caress it, I'm dying some gray in at my temples.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Can you do some part-time work with a smaller firm while still doing your current job part-time? Or even a solo fellow doing whatever it is that you want to do? It might give you the chance to interact with a single individual, so that you can practice regaining the social skills that your interview failures are telling you that you lack. (or, if I'm being less of a complete rear end in a top hat, it'll let you get some firm experience/application writing experience without going out too far on a financial limb, and is less of a risk for whoever is hiring you) This is a good place to talk to your other friends who are attorneys working in your field.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Have you considered just getting one of those offices that share kitchens and bathrooms and a secretary?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The thing that sucks, though, is I drop my wife off at the metro at 8:30, then she gets home at 9 from gym/rugby practice/whatever, so basically I'm completely without human interaction for 12 hours a day, five days a week.

I know we dog on Baruch for wanting a new job when his current job is really attractive, economically speaking, but this issue is a much more important problem for him, long-term. Years of working as he has described will seriously gently caress him up. Humans are not meant for extended periods of isolation, day after day after.

I don't blame you for looking for a new job, Baruch.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcturas posted:

Can you do some part-time work with a smaller firm while still doing your current job part-time? Or even a solo fellow doing whatever it is that you want to do? It might give you the chance to interact with a single individual, so that you can practice regaining the social skills that your interview failures are telling you that you lack. (or, if I'm being less of a complete rear end in a top hat, it'll let you get some firm experience/application writing experience without going out too far on a financial limb, and is less of a risk for whoever is hiring you) This is a good place to talk to your other friends who are attorneys working in your field.

Huge conflict, so no. I mean, I could work traffic cases or misdemeanors or something like that given the time that I would be able to spare, but that's outside my area of knowledge. I definitely couldn't start filing patent applications, unless I want to go to the jail or something; I'd imagine that that wouldn't be looked on kindly, and would probably be more serious than getting disbarred. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about isolation, zing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

I know we dog on Baruch for wanting a new job when his current job is really attractive, economically speaking, but this issue is a much more important problem for him, long-term. Years of working as he has described will seriously gently caress him up. Humans are not meant for extended periods of isolation, day after day after.

I don't blame you for looking for a new job, Baruch.

I feel like Hookars was complaining about some time like 6-12 months ago before she got fired if I recall correctly.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I feel like Hookars was complaining about some time like 6-12 months ago before she got fired if I recall correctly.

Just get a webcam and chatroulette during work.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't understand why you guys keep mentioning chatroulette as a solution. How is he supposed to do his work with one hand jerking his dick in front of a webcam all the time???

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

entris posted:

I don't understand why you guys keep mentioning chatroulette as a solution. How is he supposed to do his work with one hand jerking his dick in front of a webcam all the time???

It should be no problem. Except for the "in front of a webcam" part, I don't see how that's different from what patent examiners normally do for a living.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

. . . so basically I'm completely without human interaction for 12 hours a day, five days a week.
Is it possible to work at the PTO itself for a day or two each week, without committing to being in the office all the time?

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Not really; I've been slammed lately with a lot of work, so I'm pulling 12 hour days. Yes, it's at home, but 12 hours is 12 hours.

Would you be able to work from a Starbucks or a public library or something? Or do you work with SUPER SECRET things that you can't have lying around in public?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You should become a raging alcoholic. Then twelve hours alone is, like, really convenient and fun. As monty python said, always look at the bright side of life.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Is it possible to work at the PTO itself for a day or two each week, without committing to being in the office all the time?

All examiners are anti-social shut-ins and I get more interaction hanging out with my dogs.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lilosh posted:

Would you be able to work from a Starbucks or a public library or something? Or do you work with SUPER SECRET things that you can't have lying around in public?

More that it's a pain in the rear end not to work with my multi-monitor setup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

have you considered chatting on gchat with friends or something?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I will be glad when this phase of the thread gives way to "Baruch: man working for a firm sucks oh ho ho wasn't my decision quite one of folly?" or possibly "Baruch: hey why isn't there the blissful social interaction with flower petals strewn about and second-rate cake on staff birthdays and grabbing a beer at the office bar that I speculated about?" or maybe even "Baruch: so I quit my firm job to become a bartender because seriously that's a job that deals with interacting with people on a daily basis not staring at patent applications 9 hours a day maybe I should not have sunk all that money into a JD if I actually wanted to talk to people for a living."

This is worse than loving S1 How I Met Your Mother where Buttercup Bakery girl is all like hey Ted let's be super romantic and by that I mean being psycho about giving you serious blue balls and when I smile with my eyes I look like a serial killer beep boop cupcake fellowship!

What I mean to say is, is I hope something happens. Good luck Baruch!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't go, jobs, die alone

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Green Crayons posted:

This is worse than loving S1 How I Met Your Mother where Buttercup Bakery girl is all like hey Ted let's be super romantic and by that I mean being psycho about giving you serious blue balls and when I smile with my eyes I look like a serial killer beep boop cupcake fellowship!

wtfits (what the gently caress is this poo poo)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
International Be Kind to Lawyers Day

http://www.bekindtolawyers.com/page1.php

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

About goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Don't go, jobs, die alone

Well, doesn't sound like working in the office is much better! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474813