Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its still not as effective as using her yourself but controlling her yourself means *Late Game SPOILERS* You cant manually control the 7th character which is incredibly powerful when controlled by hand

Unless I did it wrong, I am pretty sure you can just set that char to basically auto attack only with 50% haste, double attack and crit. Link in a few more skills to boost crit, double attack and the self heal when crit and you have a beast. Toss in a few skills to use and they are set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I'm playing this on an old 90's TV through composite cables and the UI looks really bad. Is it better on component? It certainly feels like it was designed for that because the non-dialogue text is kind of blurry and hard to read. I can't even tell the difference between a landmark & a quest on the minimap.

I haven't really had this problem with other wii games and I do all of my hdmi stuff on an LCD monitor, so those cables were never really much of a concern to me. Looking at the screenshots makes me wish I could run this on dolphin.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What's a good way to get my talent thing up quickly during battle? I'm at the second such battle where I absolutely need to use a chain attack, and this fight seems to drag on forever. Is it supposed to be this slow or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

What's a good way to get my talent thing up quickly during battle? I'm at the second such battle where I absolutely need to use a chain attack, and this fight seems to drag on forever. Is it supposed to be this slow or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Party gauge increases during burst affinities, IIRC, those are when B suddenly appears on screen and you press it in time. Also properly using arts with bonus effects like backstabs will raise it quickly. If you don't get the bonus effect then the gauge doesn't raise.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I must just be doing a really poo poo job of using my moves then. I knew that put the gauge up but what happens is somebody in my party dies and I have to revive them and it takes everything down. I'll try the fight again next time I play but I had to just quit because the thing I was fighting wouldn't shut up and just kept saying the same thing again and again and again. I just couldn't take it anymore.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009
Are those status effect or resist gems worth keeping? Currently running out of inventory space and wondering if I should just sell them.

I'm level 60+ and have mainly used all Strength/Ether gems depending on character, and maybe swapping to Muscle/HP for bosses. Not sure if I'll need those status effect gems at some point. :ohdear:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm level 38 and only reached Eryth Sea). I should stop doing sidequests but I just can't help myself.

At the rate I'm going through this game (25 hours in) I'm guessing it'll be 50-60 hours until I finish it

You are so adorable I want to pinch your cheeks.

Serious Frolicking posted:

None of the side quests that unlock new skill trees are timed, right?
That's right, you have all the time in the world to do them. Some of them are ballbustingly hard, though.

EDIT

Bovineicide posted:

Is there a predictable way to tell when the B prompt for the Party Gauge comes up? Like is it after X number of Arts, or am I at the whim of the Random Number Gods?
Whenever your characters miss an attack or arte, there's a chance you'll be able to cheer them on. You know, to make them feel better about not hitting the enemy.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 10, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Is there a predictable way to tell when the B prompt for the Party Gauge comes up? Like is it after X number of Arts, or am I at the whim of the Random Number Gods?

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm having a hard time trying not to burn myself out on optional content for this game. I really like the combat system and story, but the sheer volume of sidequests is sort of daunting. Does anyone have good advice for when it's time to move onto another story event and forsake sidequests if not attempting a 100% run?

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast, but I got a little frustrated after the Colony 9 finale and I returned to town to find a bevy of other things to do before I could move on in good conscience.

e: Good stuff - thanks all.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 10, 2012

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

What I've just done so far is do a few quests in the area till I get tired of it, then just move on with the story. I like to explore so as long as that's still being done then I'll still keep doing quests.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm having a hard time trying not to burn myself out on optional content for this game. I really like the combat system and story, but the sheer volume of sidequests is sort of daunting. Does anyone have good advice for when it's time to move onto another story event and forsake sidequests if not attempting a 100% run?

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast, but I got a little frustrated after the Colony 9 finale and I returned to town to find a bevy of other things to do before I could move on in good conscience.

There's no actual need to do any of them. Move on when you want as far as you want.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

There's no actual need to do any of them. Move on when you want as far as you want.

Yeah, there's a few sidequests that give extra rewards, but even those you literally never need to touch to complete the game. If you're threatening to burn out, you should know that there's a New Game+ mode, so just hit the story. You can always do all the sidequests when you loop back around, or you can be like me and barely start it and realize that maybe 130 hours of Xenoblade is enough for now.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Yeah, there's always time to come back later. I think even in Colony 9 there's level 80 uniques running around, so you can pace yourself however you want.

Unicornicus
Feb 12, 2008
Not actually a Unicorn.
My Nintendo order finally made it to my apartment today after sitting in the UPS warehouse three blocks away all weekend. I rushed home from work to put it in.

Sometimes, goons hype games that I end up not enjoying for some reason. Interface issues, boring story, whatever. I have a pretty short attention span when it comes to games I'm not sure about.

This is definitely not one of those times. I've only played it for two hours and wow. I am blown away by how fun it is. For anybody still waiting around, or hoping to get ahold of a copy later, let me just say a few things:

-I really hate it when games, especially RPGs, take ages to get going. If you have a fun battle system, don't make me spend two-three hours running around town after a brief three minute fight before I can start doing anything. I think the total amount of time before I was running around making authentic progress was about 6-7 minutes. Granted, not everything is unlocked for you at that point, but it doesn't feel like you are worthlessly running around for no reason.

-It seems like every possible negative about RPGs the last few years has been taken out. You can switch what skill you are learning at any time, without losing progress in your previous skill? Yes please.

-Sidequests seem plentiful, but where I am near the start of the game, none of them seem like they have such amazing rewards that I absolutely have to stop doing what I want to go focus on it or I will be gimped forever. I assume that there are eventually some sidequests like this (maybe not gimped forever, but with very nice rewards), but it certainly seems like the game doesn't want to punish you for not doing everything.

-The biggest point for me right now is the characters. They are all likeable in some way, and the voice acting is pretty good. No super annoying high pitched voice, no character who spends 99% of the time whining about everything that happens. Just a few likeable characters, running around fighting monsters.

Really the only issue I have is that when I get a new collectable I HAVE to immediately stop and put it in the Collectapedia. And that is my own personal issue, not one with the game.

Basically, all the hype that this game has been getting here over the past month or so? It totally lives up to it. As long as there is not a severe drop off in quality as the game gets moving, and having read posts in here I very much doubt there is, then this is absolutely a fantastic A+ plus game.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
The spider queen in Tephra Cave keeps kicking my rear end despite me getting new armor AND and other gear before heading in there, levelling up my arts, and generally at least TRYING to prepare. :argh:

Any advice on how to defeat it? The little ones keep slowing me and Reyn down, and then the spider queen uses the silk spit attack and it all goes downhill, even with me using the Monado Shield correctly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Unicornicus posted:

Really the only issue I have is that when I get a new collectable I HAVE to immediately stop and put it in the Collectapedia. And that is my own personal issue, not one with the game.

This and trying to fill out every map of every new area I get to are my only OCD things with this game. For some reason I can't be bothered to care about or keep up with sidequests, I just accept them all and if I happen to complete some while working on the main game, it's a nice bonus. I really don't get the people hating on the game because it give you a lot of completely optional things to do.

EDIT:

InfiniteJesters posted:

The spider queen in Tephra Cave keeps kicking my rear end despite me getting new armor AND and other gear before heading in there, levelling up my arts, and generally at least TRYING to prepare. :argh:

Any advice on how to defeat it? The little ones keep slowing me and Reyn down, and then the spider queen uses the silk spit attack and it all goes downhill, even with me using the Monado Shield correctly.

I had problems with this until I went up one level hunting various things around those caves, and then it was very easy. I think just one level makes a huge difference in this game. I don't remember what I was at the time but try leveling a bit and see where that gets you.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 10, 2012

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Wow. I was cruising along in the mines below Colony 6 when the boss came and suddenly kicked my rear end. Twice. I like playing as Shulk, but should I be playing the healer for that fight? She's the first person to fall in my party and then its always downhill from there.

FYI He's level 25 and I'm 26.

e: VVV It goes on for a while with a few cutscenes here and there. You run into the guy right when you get to the bottom of this gigantic chasm.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 10, 2012

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheLoser posted:

Wow. I was cruising along in the mines below Colony 6 when the boss came and suddenly kicked my rear end. Twice. I like playing as Shulk, but should I be playing the healer for that fight? She's the first person to fall in my party and then its always downhill from there.

FYI He's level 25 and I'm 26.

Oh, this is scary, I'm saved right outside of these (for the first time) and I'm only level 20. Does this happen right when you get there or is this later in the game?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Well, poo poo. The boss fight I was stuck on still seems bugged, & the game audio started cutting out to boot. I have the receipt; does anyone know how Gamestop is handling returns & exchanges for a limited run like this?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Behonkiss posted:

Well, poo poo. The boss fight I was stuck on still seems bugged, & the game audio started cutting out to boot. I have the receipt; does anyone know how Gamestop is handling returns & exchanges for a limited run like this?

I was stuck on the exact same fight for a while too. Here's how I got around it. Put Dunban in as party leader, then start a chain attack. What you want to do is start with Dunban using an art that inflicts break, then Reyne can use his topple move in the same chain.

From what I'm told, it's the only way to do serious damage to faced mechon.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

TheLoser posted:

I was stuck on the exact same fight for a while too. Here's how I got around it. Put Dunban in as party leader, then start a chain attack. What you want to do is start with Dunban using an art that inflicts break, then Reyne can use his topple move in the same chain.

From what I'm told, it's the only way to do serious damage to faced mechon.

Xord is honestly one of the hardest bosses in the game. By no means does the game get easy after that, but that particular fight does take some doing.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bovineicide posted:

It appears when one of your characters whiffs an attack and makes you encourage that character. So yeah, it's a random number gods thing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I just picked up the fifth playable character, Dunban. One of his skill trees suggests he can tank while not wearing armor.

How practical is this? Because if I can have a badass samurai running around in shorts wrecking up the place, I absolutely will.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Chaltab posted:

It appears when one of your characters whiffs an attack and makes you encourage that character. So yeah, it's a random number gods thing.

I like that it's random - it adds some extra challenge because you have to react, rather than know exactly when it's coming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I just picked up the fifth playable character, Dunban. One of his skill trees suggests he can tank while not wearing armor.

How practical is this? Because if I can have a badass samurai running around in shorts wrecking up the place, I absolutely will.

It's not practical until the late game but he can indeed do this at some point and it's awesome.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Allan Assiduity posted:

Sharla is easily my least favourite part of the game, since her armour is terribly designed and obviously male-pandering.
Yeah, it's pretty lame that Sharla's armor is unavoidably boobular. Why would you sexy up the Big Sister / Mother Hen character anyway?

The character you mentioned in the spoiler though... it's a mixed bag. Their Power set is pretty cool, looks like something you put on to wreck dudes. But the Speed set, especially the body armor, is kinda embarrassing.

But that Haste V gem is so good...

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sankis posted:

So I can't seem to get rid of this "Story memo" icon on the top of the screen.

I feel like I'm missing super obvious but I've done about all I can think of. I've even hit Y and then right bumper to view "Story Memo" and it didn't do anything!

Its really disapointing that playing the game on its native console will never look even 1/10th this good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SirLarr posted:

Hey I reviewed this game too!

It's really loving good.

Good review! One complaint: it's spelt "Collectopaedia."

Also, the boss in the mines, Xord ain't nothing. EDIT: though his voice actor is great and he's one of my favourite villains; he's just so comically evil. He went down like a chump. I had more trouble with the on-foot Mumkhar battle on Zakar Mountain.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

edit: dumb post, didn't see the quote.

I'm mostly having trouble with the guy sending waves of enemies on me that surround my party. There isn't any space for me to make distance between the mobs, we're all just cramped together in one space. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 10, 2012

Feldheim_C
Oct 8, 2010

Some sort of strange mechanical man.
Got my copy on Saturday, finally was able to get around to it today. I was two hours in and my TV died on me.:suicide:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I had more trouble with the on-foot Mumkhar battle on Zakar Mountain.
No kidding, that fight was tense. It didn't help that the first ten tries or so I didn't realize that Shulk could hurt him despite the whole Monado not being able to hit humans thing while the rest of the party's damage was awful as though he were a Mechon.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chaltab posted:

No kidding, that fight was tense. It didn't help that the first ten tries or so I didn't realize that Shulk could hurt him despite the whole Monado not being able to hit humans thing while the rest of the party's damage was awful as though he were a Mechon.

Did you completely zone out during the cutscenes before you went to Valak? The shackles have been broken, so the Monado can damage anything now. And the boss has Mechon armor, so it makes sense that you'd need Monado Enchant or ether attacks.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I feel like there should be more "What the gently caress. Guys. What the gently caress. We live on the corpse of our Ancient God. We can look up and see it. What the gently caress?" but maybe everyone is used to it by now. It's so cool when you look out and see Mechronis. The panning right when you get to the Knee is kind of amazing.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Did you completely zone out during the cutscenes before you went to Valak? The shackles have been broken, so the Monado can damage anything now. And the boss has Mechon armor, so it makes sense that you'd need Monado Enchant or ether attacks.
Oh, right! I didn't zone out, I just wasn't able to play for a long time and completely forgot that plot point.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I've never had trouble with the bosses in this game; I'm doing my best to ensure that I get to them when I'm on-par with them, as opposed to far above or way below them. So far, so good; this game's boss theme is pretty great, and it's always fun to listen to it while fighting.

Also, Sankis, it gets better from here. The sheer scale of this game is pretty amazing at times.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AI Riki isn't good at lining up the heal spell, often only healing one of you instead of both of you. Melia can do some spot healing as well but she's not very good at it. Melia's AI is also not very good at, well, anything. It doesn't use her heal abilities well, it doesn't know how to use copy to effectively spam spells, nor does it know when to keep an aura up. I like Riki, Dunban, and Shulk or 7th, but melia isn't a terrible choice, she's just not really good at all unless you control her directly.

If you DO control her directly, and know the tricks, god drat is she ever absurdly powerful.

Can you give some insight into what tricks you are referring to? I just poked at her and was... underwhelmed to say the least.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive from Nintendo, but I decided I'd indulge myself and listen to the soundtrack.

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

It's like the composer deliberately set up to surpass XS3's Godsibb. They may have succeeded.

This is pretty sweet too.

(mind the Youtube comments, which are probably spoiler-laden, EDIT: as are possibly track titles. May want to open in new tabs/windows and simply listen)

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brackhar posted:

Can you give some insight into what tricks you are referring to? I just poked at her and was... underwhelmed to say the least.

Do Bolt, Copy, then summon and discharge a third elemental (Ice, Wind, whatever) until the Bolt cooldown ends. Summon it, and instantly discharge all three Bolts you now have summoned. Congrats, you've just done immense damage that will assuredly pull aggro if whatever you're targeting isn't somehow dead. If you're in Burst mode, you'll end up doing more damage than most chain combos. Throw in a Mind Burst at the end just for kicks.

Medium health trash mobs will die to this routine. High health mobs will not, so you may want to soften them up a little first. For low health mobs, it may be best to just keep two Bolts out while alternating summon and discharge for your third elemental slot. Even this will be powerful enough to draw aggro, most likely, but they'll die first.

For boss fights... I honestly don't know. I never played as her during a boss fight. I suppose keeping Water summoned would be reasonably important. Just going all out nuking would draw too much aggro.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 10, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

U-DO Burger posted:

I was really happy when this happened. I struggled with the boss fight in the High Entia Tomb, as Shulk wasn't able to dish out any damage to Tyrea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Welp, I've somehow corrupted my save game. Good thing I'm only level 18ish.

My Wii sees the save data existing, but XC won't load it. Any ideas, or should I just resign myself to rushing through and taking advantage of the skip cutscene feature?

• Locked thread