Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mazed posted:

I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive from Nintendo, but I decided I'd indulge myself and listen to the soundtrack.

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

I thought Xeno-music had been peaked with XS3's Godsibb. I'm so glad when I'm proven wrong.

This is pretty sweet too.

(mind the Youtube comments, which are probably spoiler-laden)

The first track's title is a gigantic spoiler, might wanna mention that in your post (and be careful what tracks you listen to yourself ;))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

SomeChump posted:

The first track's title is a gigantic spoiler, might wanna mention that in your post (and be careful what tracks you listen to yourself ;))

Thanks. Made some changes, had a sneaking suspicion.

And, figured...always a slight risk of spoilers via music, albeit ambiguously so. But, having listened to the whole four-disk collection through, I don't regret doing so in the slightest. This is a god-tier soundtrack, and the three composers behind this have done proud, if not surpassed previous games of the Xeno title.

If anyone is interested, Here's a non-Youtube full playlist that I put together. As with before, mind possible title-related spoilers.

I cannot wait for this to arrive. For once, it seems like excitement for a new game may actually be justified.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 10, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My copy and art book are out for delivery!

Now to wait on UPS...

Or I could just go to sleep, that'd probably help.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so we all know that Riki's (the one in the cutscene where you recruit him) theme music is the most ridiculously appropriate awesome and badass-in-a-cute-way theme for a hilariously ineffectual character.

I need your help, now.

(Spoilers for the area with a hidden village)
What is the name of the music track that plays when Dunban and Riki have a campfire chat before meeting up with Shulk & Co.? It's some kind of mellow and wistful remix of aforementioned theme and i must hear it again.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

HenryEx posted:

(Spoilers for the area with a hidden village)
What is the name of the music track that plays when Dunban and Riki have a campfire chat before meeting up with Shulk & Co.? It's some kind of mellow and wistful remix of aforementioned theme and i must hear it again.

I want to say it's this but I could be wrong.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Alris posted:

I want to say it's this but I could be wrong.

Hell yeah, it is. Just listen to the part from 1:40 on, awesome.

The auto-advance text option for voiced dialogue is ingenious. Some of the voiced dialogue scenes are timed really well with the music if you let them advance automatically.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

KoB posted:

Its really disapointing that playing the game on its native console will never look even 1/10th this good.

This is simply untrue. Don't dissuade people from playing it on the Wii - it still looks great.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ragequit posted:

This is simply untrue. Don't dissuade people from playing it on the Wii - it still looks great.

Speaking of this - what is the best way to get a good picture on the Wii? I have my roomates console, but he only has the standard component input, and not the composite one. I saw a couple of HDMI converters on Amazon - are they worth it?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of this - what is the best way to get a good picture on the Wii? I have my roomates console, but he only has the standard component input, and not the composite one. I saw a couple of HDMI converters on Amazon - are they worth it?
I think you mixed up "composite" and "component"...

Component cables make a tremendous difference, especially on larger screens. HDMI converters will do nothing to improve the actual picture quality; they can't add any information to the video signal. They only exist to help those people who have ample HDMI inputs but few other inputs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I assume you mean the opposite (Composite is standard, Component is the best you'll get with the Wii)? Component cables tend to help a lot, but short of fiddling with a few TV settings and hoping for the best, there's not much else you can do.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

HenryEx posted:

Okay, so we all know that Riki's (the one in the cutscene where you recruit him) theme music is the most ridiculously appropriate awesome and badass-in-a-cute-way theme for a hilariously ineffectual character.

Come again?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think he's trying to say that the TV only has composite and HDMI inputs. If you have component cables, tehre are component-to-HDMI converters that may work, but they're also expensive, and wouldn't really be worth it for a Wii of all things.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Ragequit posted:

I have the game now and while I really like it a lot (Playing 480p on component in 16:9 on the Wii) it doesn't look anything like that screen shot and makes me a little sad actually. It looks fine for a Wii game and I will still have a lot of fun playing it (Thanks for the recommendation Louis God, I would have never even looked at this game otherwise) but that screenshot looks amazing compared to the actual Wii visuals.

Great game though. I bought a classic controller and have been playing with that (Been meaning to get one for the older Nintendo Games) and I am becoming obsessive compulsive with finding the blue shiny things. I need to become better at Combat. It takes a little getting used too after playing games like Skyrim for so long. And I have died to a few higher level monsters. I also like if you have the right characters in your party, being able to go to a heart to heart icon and learning more about the backdrop of the characters themselves in a cut scene, but I also like that it is optional. I'll be doing them simply because of the character development and so far they have done a great job on that. I wish I could remap my B button to my A button and reverse those. Blame that on my PS3 and Xbox playing, but I am used to pressing the right B button to navigate backwards through the UI/Menu not to progress forward, while A, the bottom button, activates what is on the menu. Is there a way to do this and I have not found it?

I love the voice acting, and the story really seems to take off and is fluid. Good character development as well, without all the teen angst emo stuff. (There is still a little, but I guess that is to be expected in this genre) There is a ton to learn, and tons of things to figure out. It's almost information overload, but it's nice you can always go back and read more tutorials. So many things to know though, which is good and bad I guess.

Overall, really impressed so far.

PS: When I complete a side quest, does it complete when I find the item/kill the monster/deliver the good? Or do I have to go back to the NPC giver? (I am about two hours in and did a few of these, but didn't know if they fully completed or not)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 10, 2012

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

HenryEx posted:

a hilariously ineffectual character.
He's actually the best character in the game. I had used Shulk as my main character all game, but once I got to the end of the game, I was having trouble. I switched to Riki and despite having almost no affinity links created with my other party members (which meant chain attacks basically didn't go past three, ever), it made the final fight a lot easier. His DoTs just do absurd damage. I didn't even have the final skill book for Burninate and it still ruined everything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Utnayan posted:

PS: When I complete a side quest, does it complete when I find the item/kill the monster/deliver the good? Or do I have to go back to the NPC giver? (I am about two hours in and did a few of these, but didn't know if they fully completed or not)

It depends on the quest. Some will have you go back to the quest-giver, but the majority do not.

You could always look for crowns on your quest-list.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not sure how the English voices are, but I'm using Japanese with subs and everything (but particularly the awesomely evil Mechon) sounds like an over the top shonen anime. I was grinning like an idiot during all of the cutscenes leading up to and after The fight with Xord in the Colony 6 mines and the subsequent appearance of Metal Face and Dunban. It's such a welcome change of tone for JRPGs. I highly recommend playing through in Japanese during your next playthrough if you're playing in English now, especially if you're into things like Gurren.

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 10, 2012

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

d0s posted:

I'm not sure how the English voices are

They are really well done. I was very surprised actually at the voice acting quality in this game, and it surpasses anything else I have seen in the video game genre. Good tone fluctuation and emphasis on important events or in dramatic scenes. Everything else I have played when I hear good voice acting tossed out I just roll my eyes. This game actually has it, and has it throughout the game itself so far. Not just restricted to one character, and then the next character is bland and monotone because it's a different actor. It makes me wonder if they had them all in the studio at the same time, rather than seperate throughout.

That is the problem with most video game voice acting. When movie studios do it, they put everyone in a room together like they are really acting through the characters in the movie. For video games, it's all captured seperately and edited in throughout the entire game and definitely doesn't have the same result.

Either way, great stuff.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
English voices absolutely make the (mild Colony 6 spoiler) Faces, seriously. They just have the most amazing, cackling, over-the-top English accents I've ever heard in a videogame. Any cutscene with one of them in it is instantly The Best Cutscene.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
One of the things this game does well is the dialog speed. There is a moe natural length pause between characters taking turns speaking. It's in stark contrast with FF13 which had huge pauses between dialog, it is really awkward.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is it possible to raise your playable character affinity without having them all in use at some point? I don't wanna spend forever grinding affinity with the new characters I just got.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OmegaZultan posted:

Is it possible to raise your playable character affinity without having them all in use at some point? I don't wanna spend forever grinding affinity with the new characters I just got.

You can give them gifts, but you better have a TON of them. It is easier to just use them.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the items screen, you can have characters give gifts to each other which can raise or lower affinity.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Utnayan posted:

That is the problem with most video game voice acting. When movie studios do it, they put everyone in a room together like they are really acting through the characters in the movie. For video games, it's all captured seperately and edited in throughout the entire game and definitely doesn't have the same result.

Either way, great stuff.

I wonder if Xenoblade did that, what with the praise for the English VAs. Man. Why is this not done more. Naughty Dog does, and it's the reason the Uncharted series is so commended for memorable character interactions--hell, the actors do the mo-cap and voice-acting both.

Granted, going to these lengths may not be possible for localizations (no one's gonna re-animate the whole thing to accomodate a new voice cast) but why big-budget game studios don't at least bring actors face to face is beyond me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

OmegaZultan posted:

You can have a character gift a blue sparklie item to another character which will raise their affinity. It's ridiculously slow, but you can improve their relationship that way.
Each character has favorite items, depending on their personality (for instance, Shulk, the scientist, prefers mechanical items above all others) and also hated items which will lower affinity (Riki, the resident cute thing, detests other cute things).

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Other than gifting, how can you raise affinity? Do you have to swap around which party member you control and which order they're in? Right now I'm trying to get Dunban and Reyns affinity up so I have Dunban in #1 and Reyn as #2.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When you take new quests, your main character will raise affinity with the others depending upon how the conversation goes. Also, heart-to-heart events will have big affinity boosts. There's really nothing besides heart-to-hearts (which are few and far between) that gives a big boost to affinity.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Other than gifting, how can you raise affinity? Do you have to swap around which party member you control and which order they're in? Right now I'm trying to get Dunban and Reyns affinity up so I have Dunban in #1 and Reyn as #2.

You get affinity boosts during combat by
  • Starting a chain attack. This gives a small boost to affinity for every character pair in your active party.
  • Using burst affinity (the button prompt that sometimes appears when a character dodges, misses or scores a critical hit). This increases affinity between the character that triggered the burst and each of the other two party members, and the bonus is increased if you time the burst perfectly.
  • Using the "help" and "encourage" commands. This boosts the affinity of whichever two characters are involved in the event.

If you want to increase affinity between Dunban and Reyn, make sure that either of them is on point so that you benefit from affinity bonuses from side quests. Other than that, character order doesn't matter.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do Dunban and Reyn require more affinity between one another than other characters or something?

And only your top 3 get affinity from sidequests? Is it the top 3 when you accept the quest or finish it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Times! posted:

Do Dunban and Reyn require more affinity between one another than other characters or something?

And only your top 3 get affinity from sidequests? Is it the top 3 when you accept the quest or finish it?

It is whoever is in your party when you accept and complete the quests. You notice that sometimes the lead character will talk to one or both of the party members.

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings
Thanks for the preorder thread, I picked this up because of it and would have never known about it otherwise. I burned out on JRPGs a long time ago due to the mechanics becoming beyond stale and the developers on a quest to out-anime each other. Barring a few exceptions, the genre simply refused to change. From Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy 13, over 25 years, we got more linear environments and some convoluted post modern art where you learn skills. This game bucks enough of the JRPG conventions to make it a fresh experience while still being at heart Japanese RPG.

And the characters are actually likable! No emotionally broken sociopath emo fucks for angsty teens to 'relate to' here! I'd prefer it if Shulk weren't a teenager, but he's generally pretty mature so far so I guess I can forgive them.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One of the more convinient ways to raise affinity is to find an enemy with a status effect spike, equip the character with low affinity gems so they're immune to that status and then mash B next to them as the AI keeps getting inflicted with the status effect trying to hit the enemy.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Skeeter Green posted:

Thanks for the preorder thread, I picked this up because of it and would have never known about it otherwise. I burned out on JRPGs a long time ago due to the mechanics becoming beyond stale and the developers on a quest to out-anime each other. Barring a few exceptions, the genre simply refused to change. From Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy 13, over 25 years, we got more linear environments and some convoluted post modern art where you learn skills. This game bucks enough of the JRPG conventions to make it a fresh experience while still being at heart Japanese RPG.

And the characters are actually likable! No emotionally broken sociopath emo fucks for angsty teens to 'relate to' here! I'd prefer it if Shulk weren't a teenager, but he's generally pretty mature so far so I guess I can forgive them.

I thought Shulk was like 23 until I read that he was 18. He doesn't act like an anime teenager and is very mature. From what I've seen he only gets really emotional or upset at pretty appropriate times. At one point early on he yelled at Reyn, "No complaining!" when he started to talk about being hungry or some dumb thing in a cutscene. That made me really appreciate the characters.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Some heart to hearts require a certain affinity level between characters so I was just trying to get theirs up a little bit to the green smiley face.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

I thought Shulk was like 23 until I read that he was 18. He doesn't act like an anime teenager and is very mature. From what I've seen he only gets really emotional or upset at pretty appropriate times. At one point early on he yelled at Reyn, "No complaining!" when he started to talk about being hungry or some dumb thing in a cutscene. That made me really appreciate the characters.

Yep. That's one of the best things about the characters - they behave like adults who grow and mature as their power level grows. It's just so refreshing after dealing with so many JRPGs where your characters grow to possess immeasurable and unrivaled power, yet they never develop a shred of confidence and retain the emotional maturity of a young teenager.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Question: How do you play Dunban effectively? Because I've found him the least effective member of my party. Reyn and Riki are better tanks, Shulk and Melia do better damage... it just doesn't feel like he has much of a niche.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Question: How do you play Dunban effectively? Because I've found him the least effective member of my party. Reyn and Riki are better tanks, Shulk and Melia do better damage... it just doesn't feel like he has much of a niche.

Lots of agility. He's actually a good tank because he just doesn't really get hit that often, and he does a lot of damage so he keeps aggro well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pierson posted:

English voices absolutely make the Faces, seriously. They just have the most amazing, cackling, over-the-top English accents I've ever heard in a videogame. Any cutscene with a Face in it is instantly The Best Cutscene.

I gotta say, when the first one started talking, it was a big oh-poo poo moment. I'm gonna spoiler that because of that fact. They really must've had the whole gang together for the dialog recording because it sounds like they're actually conversing for all the cutscenes.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I think I'm finally going to leave the first area after 8.5 hours- This game is massive :stare:

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I'm about four and a half hours into this game and I'm running around on the leg with the fourth party member. I really like the battle system, fights feel more like puzzles and less like button mashing, at least for big monsters. I like finding places to see and monsters to fight but I don't care for the characters or plot at all. Then again I'm not even five hours into the game so maybe things will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

just finished buying everything i need to run the game (my laptop can't handle emulating it)

Xenoblade Chronicles $50
Wii $80
classic controller pro $15
Tax about $10

if this game sucks im gonna toilet paper louisgod's house

• Locked thread