Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So I realised today that of all the comics I read, GC is the one I look forward to the most every update. It's really great that it won that poll, I hope it gives Tom a lot more readers and publicity.

I would love to buy myself an avatar but I just can't decide, there are so many amazing panels to choose from. Ysengrin is my favourite character in the story right now so I'd love one of him being his grumpy self. I also love Kat and her many wacky faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalkdust
Jan 16, 2007
Dinosaur Gum

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

So I realised today that of all the comics I read, GC is the one I look forward to the most every update. It's really great that it won that poll, I hope it gives Tom a lot more readers and publicity.

I would love to buy myself an avatar but I just can't decide, there are so many amazing panels to choose from. Ysengrin is my favourite character in the story right now so I'd love one of him being his grumpy self. I also love Kat and her many wacky faces.

Even if it didn't win I was glad for the publicity it brought GC, but I'm definitely happy it won. If nothing else it's vindication that people on the internet can have good taste. Go Tom!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Guys if you deliberately try to invoke the avatar fairies the spell will be broken and noone will get free avatars.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Speaking of Zimmy, did Annie's etheric perma-cheek cut actually come from their first confrontation or did that just reveal it?
The cut was caused by Jeanne, and Zimmy has the ability to make things from the ethereal realm manifest in the real one (unless Gamma is nearby, who provides stability).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

VanSandman posted:

I'd get one but I like my Morpheus avatar :(
It's kind of funny reading page after page of avatar-chat and thinking 'what are they talking about? They all have one alrea... oh right."

In our hubris we have insulted the avatar fairies and have been cast down.

Luckily, these avatars are awesome, so we come out of this whole situation on top

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

JT Jag posted:

Somewhere, Lowtax is looking at the cashflow and wondering if people are buying a bunch of new Homestuck avatars because that was the last time he got this much booze money in such a short period of time.

No, I think there was another, more recent, time period when a lot of avatars got bought all at once.

I got my Volume 1 in the mail last week, and I immediately sat down and read through all the early strips again. It's fascinating to watch the art style change and mature.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SirSamVimes posted:

Guys if you deliberately try to invoke the avatar fairies the spell will be broken and noone will get free avatars.

Nah it works they just get mad at you.

Curse you avatar fairies! From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Geomancing posted:

No, I think there was another, more recent, time period when a lot of avatars got bought all at once.

I got my Volume 1 in the mail last week, and I immediately sat down and read through all the early strips again. It's fascinating to watch the art style change and mature.

Volume 1 and volume 3 arrived today, I'm waiting for volume 2 to get here before I start reading again though.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I thought vol 2 was out of print. You may be waiting a while.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

And for those who want disapproving glares at their own posts!

Has this one been taken yet? It's perfect, and from one of my favourite pages to boot.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Has this one been taken yet? It's perfect, and from one of my favourite pages to boot.

If Kat gets strangled because of you I will be so upset.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SirSamVimes posted:

VanSandman posted:

I'd get one but I like my Morpheus avatar :(
It's kind of funny reading page after page of avatar-chat and thinking 'what are they talking about? They all have one alrea... oh right."

The avatar fairy is a trickster. I think we can narrow it down to people with Coyote avatars.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If it's a mod the avatar changes are free guys.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What I'm wondering is what the hell is in that rocket to make it do that weird and cool warping effect as it launches.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

If it's a mod the avatar changes are free guys.

I thought the avatar had to have already been used before the mod could give it to somebody?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Walker posted:

I thought the avatar had to have already been used before the mod could give it to somebody?
I think it's like normal avatar buying but free.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
As far as I know, mods need to request avatar changes from admins, who can upload images like separately from the avatar purchase page. These avatars are arriving a bit too quickly for it to be a mod, also I think giving custom titles out like this would be frowned upon by the admins.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manyorcas posted:

As far as I know, mods need to request avatar changes from admins, who can upload images like separately from the avatar purchase page. These avatars are arriving a bit too quickly for it to be a mod, also I think giving custom titles out like this would be frowned upon by the admins.
Either way, I like the mystery of it. :allears:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Nettle Soup posted:

These two are just beautiful. (And I see that Instant Sunrise has either snapped one up or been visited by You-Know-What)

little_firebird posted:

:toot:

Is it strange that I'm excited to finally have an avatar on SA?

Not at all! I was thrilled to get mine. :3: Chibi Rey. :3:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

VanSandman posted:

The avatar fairy is a trickster. I think we can narrow it down to people with Coyote avatars.
I don't know about that but somebody posted before that one of the faeries is someone with a Gunnerkrigg Court avatar, so that narrows it down to pretty much everyone hth

Fighting Trousers posted:

These two are just beautiful. (And I see that Instant Sunrise has either snapped one up or been visited by You-Know-What)

The picture your avatar comes from is what made me really start to appreciate Tom's art.
also dammit avatar fairy I wanted that one back then

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Wrist Watch posted:

I don't know about that but somebody posted before that one of the faeries is someone with a Gunnerkrigg Court avatar, so that narrows it down to pretty much everyone hth

Best part is that the longer this goes on, the more potential people it could be.

Chibi Rey is one of my favorites.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

How does Tom manage to cram that much emotion into that few lines?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
So, my Police Quest 2 LP is over and I finally got around to buying a new avatar. Giving it a test run.

I'm betting the avatar fairy is multiple people as well. Whoever it is, though, you are awesome. Just saying.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, I sat and looked at that page for a good ten minutes, that panel was my favourite, glad somebody took it, now I can see it every time they post! :)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Geomancing posted:

Nope don't know what you're talking about.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

idonotlikepeas posted:

So, my Police Quest 2 LP is over and I finally got around to buying a new avatar. Giving it a test run.

That's a cool avatar. Did you make it yourself?

The avatar faeries are really quite something. I wonder how much money's been spent on these changes so far...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nondevor posted:

That's a cool avatar. Did you make it yourself?

Yep. You can tell by how everything is a blobby blob.

Nondevor posted:

The avatar faeries are really quite something. I wonder how much money's been spent on these changes so far...

Quite a lot. I have seen people in other threads asking about them, though, which seems to have led some of them here, so hopefully they're having the desired effect.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Nettle Soup posted:

I think I want to take this one, but I can't think of any good text to go with it at all.

Dodgeball posted:

"That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!"
Ahahahaha, I love it! Buying as soon as I get out of work.

Clam Chowdown fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 10, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
"That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!"

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nonbaka posted:

I think I want to take this one, but I can't think of any good text to go with it at all.

"We'll just have to trust it."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nonbaka posted:

"What!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nonbaka posted:

"!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Y'know, I'm beginning to think I'm too much of an abrasive rear end in a top hat for a Shadow 2 av. Considering switching to something with GKC visuals and MSPA text or vice-versa. Something like

quote:

DAUGHTER,

IF YOU ARE READING THIS YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHED A MICROSATELLITE INTO ORBIT.

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU.

except not that one because someone else already took a technopipe avatar :mad:

Anyone have any other suggestions along those lines?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

loquacius posted:

Y'know, I'm beginning to think I'm too much of an abrasive rear end in a top hat for a Shadow 2 av. Considering switching to something with GKC visuals and MSPA text or vice-versa. Something like

except not that one because someone else already took a technopipe avatar :mad:

Anyone have any other suggestions along those lines?

Hm, how about...

quote:

Do you have even the SLIGHTEST CLUE how many times that wolf head over there has SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME?????

Of course with that quote any other Ysengrin may do.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Hm, how about...

Do you have even the SLIGHTEST CLUE how many times that wolf head over there has SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME?????

Of course with that quote any other Ysengrin may do.
I love Homestuck, and that loving wolf gets me every time.
Renardine trumps all those references, though.

If you have Ysengrin playing along, you get
"TREMBLE AT MY TERRIFYING POWERS OF GARDENING!"

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Oh hey more avatars:

I think I want to use either this one:

this one maybe?

or this one:

It's hard, Coyote is such a charming fellow.

As for text I'm thinking "Maybe one day I will tell you my great secret!" or "Coyote is no liar"

Thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot to thank Brannock, HoN thread poster extraordinaire for exposing me to this comic with his Coyote avatar.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 11, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Alright, so I'm thinking it's about time to get myself a new avatar. I really like the Court symbol, but I can't decide between

or something like

Thoughts? (Text would have to be something along the lines of "It grew from the seed of Bismuth", obviously.)

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

How does the black one look with a transparent background instead of white?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Like this.

E: Scratch that, that doesn't look transparent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If I got a Coyote moon av (which I wouldn't anymore, after my Paranatural av), I'd have to make the title "they say the moon smells just like a cherry bomb."