Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Eventually you can equip him with that skill, link him with another one that increases all of his stats by 20 if he's not wearing any gems on his armor and equip a max level agility gem on his weapon and he'll be pretty much untouchable.

Do not be seduced by naked Dunban. There is probably a tiny window in the late game where if you had built him properly to be naked, he will be a good tank. 99% of the time he will be infinitely better using light / medium armor with a total of 50 agi slotted into armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Now I have a question I shouldn't care about. But all my quests in my book(that are possible for me to complete right now) I've accepted are complete except for just one! I can't find "Light Skeeters" in the beginning of the game. Where are these?

I've just started again, and think I've managed to do this quest by default. Think they might be around the base of colony 9 at night. Not sure though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've just started again, and think I've managed to do this quest by default. Think they might be around the base of colony 9 at night. Not sure though.

Thanks. I swear I looked everywhere and also at night but I certainly glossed over an area. All I remember seeing there were Vangs. But next time I fire it up, I'll look.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If we can ask dumb questions about quests, I've got one.

There are two giving me trouble. One is to get some kind of nectar from skeeters in Tephira Cave. Skeeters are rare in that cave, and nothing is dropping any kind of nectar, just insect parts. Is there a trick to it?

The other says I have to find an enemy at the Sky Stage. I've been all over that drat place and not a single thing is showing up. I found the monster that only appears during a thunderstorm and this one won't show up?! :argh:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Silver Falcon posted:

There are two giving me trouble. One is to get some kind of nectar from skeeters in Tephira Cave. Skeeters are rare in that cave, and nothing is dropping any kind of nectar, just insect parts. Is there a trick to it?

The other says I have to find an enemy at the Sky Stage. I've been all over that drat place and not a single thing is showing up. I found the monster that only appears during a thunderstorm and this one won't show up?! :argh:

I'm not sure what that area is but it's a Big Ardun(?). The dinosaur looking dudes with the horns and it was running around the plains close to the refugee camp. It aggro'd me when I was fighting some of the goblin things.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Kawalimus posted:

Thanks. I swear I looked everywhere and also at night but I certainly glossed over an area. All I remember seeing there were Vangs. But next time I fire it up, I'll look.

Skeeters were during the day I think, either up the hill or along the left coastline.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Holy poo poo Fiora sounds like she is dying when she jumps. :aaa:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do not be seduced by naked Dunban.

This is my favorite sentence in this whole thread.

I actually just got Dunban, and I am extremely hesitant to upgrade his armor ever because that half-cape is just so fly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Silver Falcon posted:

If I remember right, the nectar comes from skeeters both at the pool of glowing water where there are spiders and you originally buried a few lost merchants, and also the other pool of water where you can harvest ice although you might need to throw a rock at them from the high pass since they'll float quite high.

If it makes you feel better, I had the evil rabbit near the entrance to Tephra spawn twice, and then took around 2 hours of dicking around to show up again once I had the quest.

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings
It's the little things that make me like this game a lot. There's a scene I just got to early on where a female character joins and Reyn says she should stay back and let him and Shulk fight the monsters. She gets a bit angry and explains that she's an experienced combat medic and she can pull her weight. Reyn's response is basically "a medic, awesome! I get hurt a lot!" That's it. No misogyny, no angst, just a quick misunderstanding and Reyn demonstrating that he's a big lug but not a pighead.

Unfortunately this "experienced combat medic" is dressed like she's heading to Ladies Night at the local country bar, but hey. Baby steps.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Easiest way is to not actually be in sky stage, but just south of that Vilieria Hill (You should be south of the nameplate on the map), and then change the time to 3am.

A giant raging Bull-dinosaur thing will be rampaging about

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Well I ended up back in Colony 9 by the gem NPC and noticed I had several tier 3 crystals with +electric damage. Fast forward through a few reloads and I finally get mega heat with Shulk/Reyn which produced 2 +40% electric damage gems(level 4's, I can't wait to see level 6 ones), Melina has a 3 slot staff but I don't have crystals for a 3rd electric gem, however with just those 2 gems she hits stuff in the Sea area for 8-10k damage on normal hits. Shulk has to backslash from behind, and usually with shadow or the enemy's defense lowered, to break 10k. I think I was doing 14-16k in Melina's damage mode but stuff died to fast to get consistent numbers. She really is completely over the top, I need a ton of -aggro gems for her armor though.

With the damage multipler in chain attacks, does that multiple the damage a DoT skill does? Like if someone inflicts bleed/burn with a 3x multiplier does that mean it'd tick for 1500 instead of a normal 500?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I finished that last night and had the opposite situation because I got rid of shulk for Dunban, who outright butchered Tyrea since between the 75% haste using a weapon with 25% double attack, and his special skill combo, was a buzzsaw. I had to wait probably 5-10 minutes for the Telethia's stupid aura to go away though and only hit about 2-3% of the time while it was up. As soon as the aura went down the Telthia went from 50% to 0% hp in less than a minute. I was level 41 at that point so I was at zero risk the entire time. Exploration really is killing the challenge at this rate since I'm getting in to a 3-4 level advantage over stuff. :sigh:

Yeah, I hadn't done much questing at that point, so I was under-leveled. Shulk was a big help against the Telethia, so I targeted it first. Barely survived, but afterwards I was able to concentrate on Tyrea and just use Shulk's Monado buffs to help everyone else.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well I ended up back in Colony 9 by the gem NPC and noticed I had several tier 3 crystals with +electric damage. Fast forward through a few reloads and I finally get mega heat with Shulk/Reyn which produced 2 +40% electric damage gems(level 4's, I can't wait to see level 6 ones), Melina has a 3 slot staff but I don't have crystals for a 3rd electric gem, however with just those 2 gems she hits stuff in the Sea area for 8-10k damage on normal hits. Shulk has to backslash from behind, and usually with shadow or the enemy's defense lowered, to break 10k. I think I was doing 14-16k in Melina's damage mode but stuff died to fast to get consistent numbers. She really is completely over the top, I need a ton of -aggro gems for her armor though.

With the damage multipler in chain attacks, does that multiple the damage a DoT skill does? Like if someone inflicts bleed/burn with a 3x multiplier does that mean it'd tick for 1500 instead of a normal 500?

Yes it multiplies the dot damage and keeps the damage going even after the chain ends. And yes Melia owns so hard if you control her. The rank 6 gems completely max out the bonus at 100% damage, so you can pick 3 elements to do double damage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If I just got to the tree town, where is a good place to get some -aggro gems or materials to make them? Nobody can keep the enemy's attention off Shulk so he can get in his backstabs and sidestabs.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Is there any clear cut way to eliminate all the crackling in my audio when I play the game in Dolphin? Is there a special audio plugin to use, or something else I'm missing?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My Nintendo copy arrived today in the mail, not sure why people were saying it was shipping at the end of the month.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't have my game yet (Though the tracker says it'll be delivered on Monday! :dance:) I just had one question in preparation.

I've read posts on here talking about stat-ups after level-ups. How significant are these? I'm pretty OCD when it comes to stats. Not to a min-max level, but pretty close, especially when I have direct control over their growth. Is this a game where I'll get by fine if I just put them into whatever I feel like, or do they have a big effect and I'm going to be playing with a stack of growth charts beside me?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
There are ways to manipulate your stats, but stat growth through levels is automatic. Your manual stat adjustments (I'll let you play the game to find out how you do this) are also not permanent, so you don't have to worry about screwing a character up.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just got my pre-order copy from EB, too bad I don't have a wii anymore :negative:

Is it really worth buying a wii over or should I just wait until the WiiU comes?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Violently Car posted:

There are ways to manipulate your stats, but stat growth through levels is automatic. Your manual stat adjustments (I'll let you play the game to find out how you do this) are also not permanent, so you don't have to worry about screwing a character up.
Excellent! This was my only real worry about the game. Spending days of my life crafting and sidequesting is my own fault, but getting halfway thru the game and realizing I've royally messed up my characters is never a fun experience to have. (Curse you, SaGa Frontiiiiier)

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

dvorak posted:

Is there any clear cut way to eliminate all the crackling in my audio when I play the game in Dolphin? Is there a special audio plugin to use, or something else I'm missing?

There's a special fix here http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356 but I can't remember on which page the one I have that was working is. Somewhere towards the end.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I rather enjoy that there's a marsh on bionis' rear end.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This game is incredible and i'm only four hours into it, and I feel like i've accomplished so much yet i'm not even out of the exposition yet.

It's managed to avoid literally every single problem I have with jrpg's - there's no dumb savior bullshit, there's no thinly-veiled robotic relationship bullshit, and I don't feel like any of the characters are literal children, and the introduction wasn't a hastily thrown together tutorial sequence/segue to lots of angst. The combat and stat system reminds me a lot of monster hunter except it actually makes sense and doesn't make you want to kill yourself, and because of that it's pretty unique for a jrpg. poo poo, i've never been able to play any JRPG for more than an hour before quitting in boredom/anger but i'm completely hooked on this. It loving owns.

It also looks amazing at 1080p and runs flawlessly on a tri-core phenom.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I was expecting to be disappointed with this game, but I bought it anyway because of all the rave reviews. Boy am I glad I did. Everything I read about the battle system just turned me off to it, but after actually playing with it I'm completely in love.

I honestly feel like I've been silently drowning in a sea of needlessly gritty western "rpg's" for years now and I've just now surfaced. This is certainly the best RPG since Skies of Arcadia, and possibly the best one ever. I'm going to be very depressed when this game is over.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's impossible for me to get anything done in this game because I keep doing sidequests and exploring, like I'm supposed to be doing poo poo in some mines or something, but I went in the opposite direction and I found a sweet-rear end waterfall, so I followed that water around, then I try to find my way up those cliffs in the distance...

Then the next thing I know it's 20 minutes later, and I'm completely lost, trying to figure out if I can make Rayne distract a level 76 hawk so I can check out that cave in the distance. Anyway, the bird sees me and does twice my hp in damage, flinging me off a cliff.

It's incredible!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I adore this game. Its gameplay is great, but it's the story that still sticks with me, six months after I first beat it. It's just so... endearing. So many beautiful, sad and hopeful moments - and though the characters don't always have much depth, I still love them because they feel and act like real persons.

I really recommend a new game plus playthrough, there are a lot of scenes that reveal things you're likely to miss on your first playthrough.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Endgame question:

Do the teleporters to the top floor of Alcamoth castle permanently shut off after the High Entia turn into telethia? I've finally unlocked two heart-to-hearts up there, but I can't enter that area any more, and I think I'll just have to come back in new game plus.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A good poster posted:

Endgame question:

There is a quest line to reactivate the teleporters. Go talk to the drunk Nopon who used to live in Alcamoth (Nelo, I think?). He should be near the entrance to Frontier Village at night.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I preordered this game but I haven't gotten a lot of time to play it because I've been busy at work lately. I got to the point where leveling Arts and skill trees become available and stopped because my stupid powergaming brain couldn't stand the idea of spending points on something less than optimal. The guides for this game seem pretty barebones at this point, does anybody who's played the game before have any suggestions on what Arts and skill trees are good to focus on early in the game? Or are AP/SP common enough that you'll be able to max out everything without too much trouble? Any advice would put my dumb RPG OCD at ease.

Also, can you move socketed gems between equipment without destroying them? I hate it when RPGs do that because I always end up hoarding them.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Grozz Nuy posted:

Also, can you move socketed gems between equipment without destroying them? I hate it when RPGs do that because I always end up hoarding them.

I don't know about the other questions, but yes, move gems around all you want.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mister Snips posted:

This game is incredible and i'm only four hours into it, and I feel like i've accomplished so much yet i'm not even out of the exposition yet.

It's managed to avoid literally every single problem I have with jrpg's - there's no dumb savior bullshit, there's no thinly-veiled robotic relationship bullshit, and I don't feel like any of the characters are literal children, and the introduction wasn't a hastily thrown together tutorial sequence/segue to lots of angst. The combat and stat system reminds me a lot of monster hunter except it actually makes sense and doesn't make you want to kill yourself, and because of that it's pretty unique for a jrpg. poo poo, i've never been able to play any JRPG for more than an hour before quitting in boredom/anger but i'm completely hooked on this. It loving owns.

It also looks amazing at 1080p and runs flawlessly on a tri-core phenom.

Thanks for one kickass new background.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My computer was top of the line around 2008, so Dolphin, at least ridiculously sweet-looking cranked-up Dolphin, doesn't seem to be a good option. Ah well, I've been meaning to buy a Wii sooner or later anyway. :v:

I've got a really nice 1080 screen, but my PS2's graphics, plugged in through the three-prong composite cables, look like they've been smeared in old vaseline. I don't want Xenoblade looking like that. Composite cables are those five-prong dealies, yeah? Does anyone have a particularly recommended brand, or does it not matter much so long as they're functional?

vvv Well then! :buddy:

Mrit posted:

Remember that you have to change your settings in the Wii System Settings to get the full benefit of these cables.

Anything exotic, or is this a fairly straightforward menu-options affair?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 11, 2012

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Here.
Its Prime, its $5, its perfect.
Edit: Remember that you have to change your settings in the Wii System Settings to get the full benefit of these cables.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I preordered this game but I haven't gotten a lot of time to play it because I've been busy at work lately. I got to the point where leveling Arts and skill trees become available and stopped because my stupid powergaming brain couldn't stand the idea of spending points on something less than optimal. The guides for this game seem pretty barebones at this point, does anybody who's played the game before have any suggestions on what Arts and skill trees are good to focus on early in the game? Or are AP/SP common enough that you'll be able to max out everything without too much trouble? Any advice would put my dumb RPG OCD at ease.

You aren't going to max every single art unless you really grind, but you do get plenty of AP and SP, so you don't really have to make too many super hard choices. You can put a few points into every art just to try them out and still max all the ones that you wish to stick with and a few extra as well, probably.

So really, don't worry about it. The game allows you to experiment a good deal without being punished.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
How many arts would you say you could maximise in an average run through? And man, levels mean a lot in this game. I was happily trundling along not really getting challenged and then I reached the marsh and mobs just a level higher started kicking my arse which is good because I like a challenge and was worried about out levelling stuff from all the side quests.

The bad guys in this game are great, the whole few scenes with Xord and the music had me hooked on the story completely.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Man, this game just does so much right. I'm right about eleven hours or so into it and I just keep finding things that other JRPGs should be doing. I was downright amazed when I wasn't required to hammer the a button to move cutscenes along, and when it comes to having stuff to do outside the main quest, Xenoblade has it in spades.

Also, it is Reyn Time. At the tone it will be Reyn Time. Daily exercises will be carried out at Reyn Time.

e: Oh god I just beat Xord and fought off Metal Face and now it is going to be difficult to contain this much asskicking in one party.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 11, 2012

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
Finally picked it up from Gamestop, immediately reversed the cover to see what the art was, and then played for several hours despite having beaten it already. God this game is great.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Flynn Taggart posted:

This is certainly the best RPG since Skies of Arcadia, and possibly the best one ever. .

I wish everybody that has a semblance of interest in playing this game would read this sentence because of how true it is. It takes a special game to dethrone Skies as best JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

Also, it is Reyn Time. At the tone it will be Reyn Time. Daily exercises will be carried out at Reyn Time.
Reyn is the best meathead bro in videogames.

Non-spoiler Xenoblade awesome - I love how many problems in this game are solved by jumping into a river. Being attacked by a level 70 rear end in a top hat hawk? Escape by jumping into the river.

poo poo going down at the town across the river? gently caress going back through the caves, jump into the river and swim on over in a hurry.

On some stupid plot-enforced solo mission through a field of hungry monsters? gently caress 'em, jump in the river and swim around them.

Jump into the river.

edit: ^^^ Can someone go into the appeal of Skies of Arcadia? I didn't think it was bad, but I felt it was kinda generic and anime. I got bored and never finished.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 11, 2012

• Locked thread