Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rose Booties
May 16, 2004

Attn: I am suit
Are there any differences between the EU and US versions of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

sudonim posted:

Jump into the river.

I jumped in to the river last night and a bunch of level 70 fish ravaged my body.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

sudonim posted:

Jump into the river.
Preferably from as high up as possible!

Loving the game so far, but I'm afraid my completionist tendencies are going to be my undoing. I've basically done every quest and developed my Affinity Chart as far as I can for time being, despite the advice of people in this thread! I just can't help myself!

Well... I did skip one quest in the Marsh, but that was because it involved collecting apparently-rare items from the field and rare drops from Upas.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Louisgod posted:

I wish everybody that has a semblance of interest in playing this game would read this sentence because of how true it is. It takes a special game to dethrone Skies as best JRPG.
I wish Skies of Arcadia wasn't so expensive nowadays, I'd really like to try it :(

I also try reaching the end of this game before the end of the Easter holidays. I'm just gotten the last party member, so about how far is that? 80% or so?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Allan Assiduity posted:

I wish Skies of Arcadia wasn't so expensive nowadays, I'd really like to try it :(

I also try reaching the end of this game before the end of the Easter holidays. I'm just gotten the last party member, so about how far is that? 80% or so?

You just got heropon Riki? Not even close. 60% or so.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

J Detan posted:

You just got heropon Riki? Not even close. 60% or so.

Uh Riki isn't the last party character.

Allan 80% is about right if you've just got the 7th member

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Bland posted:

Uh Riki isn't the last party character.

Allan 80% is about right if you've just got the 7th member

Well, I was trying to be coy because most people don't expect number 7, but yeah. I'd say 75% is about accurate for getting that one.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Ragequit posted:

I jumped in to the river last night and a bunch of level 70 fish ravaged my body.
I didn't say it solved every problem.

On one hand, level 70 motherfuckers all over the maps gets a little annoying when you're exploring the beautiful and expansive giant corpse and then one pops out nowhere and splatters your face. On the other hand, it makes me look forward to getting to 70 myself, just so I can come back and reap sweet revenge.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It caps at level 50 :ssh:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Quick question: If I'm not going out of my way to try and tank, do Dunban's arts draw that much aggro? I want to mix up my party a little bit by switching Shulk with him, but I definitely don't want him trying to do Reyn's job.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Has anyone in this thread been playing the hidden "Dropkick level 75 monsters in Gaur Plains off the cliff, killing them instantly and collecting late game loot" minigame yet? You can do it around level 40 or so, if not sooner, and it's so satisfying. gently caress those drat Cliff Rats

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

rt4 posted:

It caps at level 50 :ssh:

:confused: The max level is 99.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

sudonim posted:

edit: ^^^ Can someone go into the appeal of Skies of Arcadia? I didn't think it was bad, but I felt it was kinda generic and anime. I got bored and never finished.

It hasn't aged particularly well. The premise wasn't original, but it did have a pretty unique setting, presentation, and gimmick. It really stood out among that generation of RPGs, though; most of them were starting to take themselves way, way seriously, in the wake of FF7, and here was something that was incredibly bright, colorful, featuring an upbeat cast of characters and a hero who was optimistic to a fault, having an adventure that was an adventure for the sake of ADVENTURE! Give or take an evil empire doing evil empire stuff. :v:

You know, putting it all in perspective, it occurs that Xenoblade could be very accurately described as the bastard lovechild of Xenogears and Skies of Arcadia.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Quick question: If I'm not going out of my way to try and tank, do Dunban's arts draw that much aggro? I want to mix up my party a little bit by switching Shulk with him, but I definitely don't want him trying to do Reyn's job.

Dunban has a few aggro management/tanking skills.
1. Battle Eye (aura) causes the Lock On status, which is a forced single target provoke. Increases Dunban's double attack rate.
2. Blinding Blossom transfers aggro from another team member to Dunban. This is useful when a DPS character like Shulk takes aggro and you want it back.
3. Peerless (aura) draws aggro of surrounding enemies when activated. Boosts Dunban's strength too.
4. Serene Heart (aura) increases Accuracy and Evasion. The effect gets stronger as your health gets lower.
5. Heat Haze (aura) completely resets Dunban's aggro so only use this if you're just being DPS instead of a tank. I don't bother slotting it since I use Dunban to tank.

He holds aggro by doing damage. Either way you want to stack a lot of Agility and Double Attack/Haste gems on Dunban. If you have him set up properly, he shouldn't be getting hit at all against even level mobs and will mostly dodge mobs ~2 levels above him.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Skeeter Green posted:

It's the little things that make me like this game a lot. There's a scene I just got to early on where a female character joins and Reyn says she should stay back and let him and Shulk fight the monsters. She gets a bit angry and explains that she's an experienced combat medic and she can pull her weight. Reyn's response is basically "a medic, awesome! I get hurt a lot!" That's it. No misogyny, no angst, just a quick misunderstanding and Reyn demonstrating that he's a big lug but not a pighead.

Unfortunately this "experienced combat medic" is dressed like she's heading to Ladies Night at the local country bar, but hey. Baby steps.

Yessss, I like these sorts of things too.

I also love how Shulk & Reyn stay positive with all this crazy poo poo going on, not once have I see either of them mope for longer than a couple seconds before the other snapped 'em out of it. I'm so glad this isn't another "..." mopey-teen story.

I need more party slots because I can't get rid of the Shulk & Reyn bro-fist experience and the medic is too helpful to switch out! I'm not even sure what role in a party Dunban is supposed to play. (Just hit the swamp area)

BabyRyoga posted:

Has anyone in this thread been playing the hidden "Dropkick level 75 monsters in Gaur Plains off the cliff, killing them instantly and collecting late game loot" minigame yet? You can do it around level 40 or so, if not sooner, and it's so satisfying. gently caress those drat Cliff Rats

Where have you been doing this and how? The sword stabbing push-back attack with Reyn?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So upon playing more and more last night I have determined this is one of the best games I have played in the last couple of years. The story telling is fantastic, I actually care about the characters, and am having a blast with the combat system, crafting gems, etc. The open world feel and exploration is fantastic, and the more I play it, the more I quit realizing the game isn't in 1080p. I hope that there are more games like this that come out. I am about 5-6 hours in and only now leaving the starting area after defeating The Face Mechon

I usually am not a collection player, but I find myself more interested in making sure I collect whatever I can. I cannot explain this one, so I have no clue what they did differently for me to care - on the surface it feels the same. Maybe it's the sense of exploration or a new OCD complex I have when it comes to just this game. I do have a question, because this one monster even with my characters at a higher level destroys me.

In the cave after the starting city, there is a monster in there almost immediately with 4-5 adds around it. I lure it out so I can fight it one on one, but this thing kills me within abut 30 seconds. Are there any tips or tricks I am missing here?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

The trick with Dunban is that he doesn't care about gaining aggro, since he should rarely be hit; physically speaking, a high Agility (and some of his auras) make it very hard for him to be hit. Ether is harder to dodge (I think?), so make sure to use armour that complements his ether defence.

Dunban's auras are all very useful, and should probably make up at least half of his battle set. The aggro-to-zero one is handy if you're getting a little overwhelmed (or want Reyn to tank), since I believe it also sets his critical-hit rate to 100%. Serene Heart is the one which I put up at the start of any fight on equal footing, since it means that Dunba can draw aggro all day with no problems. Peerless ups strength (excellent), and makes him draw more aggro. He's a wonderful party leader, and is also cool as gently caress in general.

(I haven't touched this game for a while, but still remember this. Why.)

Thanks for the feedback on the 80% mark. Might try and rush the end of the game, before being inevitably distracted by sidequests :toot:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zombie Defiler posted:

Where have you been doing this and how? The sword stabbing push-back attack with Reyn?

Around the lake, any ability that pushes back can knock an enemy off and deal 100% damage. When you attack something that high you are likely to miss though unless you put them to sleep with Melia right on the ledge and have her kick them off with her physical move.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just to note, if anyone is getting overwhelmed by the amount of sidequests, or is finding the game too easy because the sidequest rewards are leaving them too well-equipped or over-leveled, don't be afraid to ignore them. It makes the game more challenging.

Furthermore, the game has a new New Game + option, and it's a perfect opportunity to just relax and explore the gently caress out of these dead gods.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blind Sally posted:

Just to note, if anyone is getting overwhelmed by the amount of sidequests, or is finding the game too easy because the sidequest rewards are leaving them too well-equipped or over-leveled, don't be afraid to ignore them. It makes the game more challenging.

Furthermore, the game has a new New Game + option, and it's a perfect opportunity to just relax and explore the gently caress out of these dead gods.

I don't know, I did every sidequest I could before leaving Colony 9 and drat near got my rear end handed to me by the Queen Arachno in Tephra Cave. Maybe the level disparity gets a lot worse later (I just got the third party member and my team is L21 or so), but I'm still finding the plot stuff relatively challenging, and the optional fights against the monsters are still pretty tough.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I keep getting distracted by sidequests. Last night, I popped back to Colony 9 to finish off one I'd left, then spent the next two hours picking up more. I think I have a problem. :suicide:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Oh, by the way. Is it bad that I spent about twenty minutes dicking around in the (snowy mountain location spoilers) Hollow Bone? So much fun to keep sliding down to the bottom, reloading, going back to the top...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Allan Assiduity posted:

Oh, by the way. Is it bad that I spent about twenty minutes dicking around in the (snowy mountain location spoilers) Hollow Bone? So much fun to keep sliding down to the bottom, reloading, going back to the top...

Not at all. Hell, you need to be really good at it for one quest.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Allan Assiduity posted:

Perfectly understandable. One of my favorite things to do in that area is to start from the altar secret location near the entrance to Valak. Then I run down to that slippery piece of ground. If you jump at just the right moment you'll launch yourself like half a mile to your death. Soooo much fun.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2012

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Dunban has a few aggro management/tanking skills.
1. Battle Eye (aura) causes the Lock On status, which is a forced single target provoke. Increases Dunban's double attack rate.
Ah, I've been wondering what the hell "Lock On" was, thanks.

I take it there's no way to view derived stats like evasion, accuracy, and double-attack rate? If not, are there any good (non-spoilery) writeups out there?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I keep getting distracted by sidequests. Last night, I popped back to Colony 9 to finish off one I'd left, then spent the next two hours picking up more. I think I have a problem. :suicide:

That's one of my favorite things about this game. There's always something to do, and it's paced so that there's always something actually doable within 15 minutes or so.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rt4 posted:

That's one of my favorite things about this game. There's always something to do, and it's paced so that there's always something actually doable within 15 minutes or so.

Is it correct that the sidequests are auto-generating? They don't seem too thought out, but goddamn if they aren't awesome and make me feel awesome for doing them.

The first few hours of my game were spent trying to return to the NPC to hand in my Kill X quests. Then I found out that they turned themselves in automatically.

This game is so loving good.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

I'm not very far in the game but is it fine to play as a damage dealer and let someone else tank? Or do I need to take more control over tanking?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Is it correct that the sidequests are auto-generating?

No, there's just a ton of them and most of them are very simple and repetitive. There's certainly a few interesting ones, though, and some of them will take you a while to figure out.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
So I just beat the metal faced guy on the cargo elevator in the mine then made Metal Face run away outside of Colony 9 and got Dunban. What is a good party makeup for using him as a main at this point? Does he take over Shulk's role as DPS, Reyn's role as tank (sounds like he can do both with high agility) or does he replace the medic since the mobs will die much faster?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 11, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

So I just beat the metal faced guy on the cargo elevator in the mine then made Metal Face run away outside of Colony 9 and got Dunban. What is a good party makeup for using him as a main at this point? Does he take over Shulk's role as DPS, Reyn's role as tank (sounds like he can do both with high agility) or does he replace the medic since the mobs will die much faster?

Fixed your spoiler.
Dunban can be used to replace Reyn easypeasy. Just equip him with Agility gems to make him evade better and armor with high Ether Defense. Alternatively yeah, you can remove Sharla since things WILL die much, much faster with him.

rt4 posted:

No, there's just a ton of them and most of them are very simple and repetitive. There's certainly a few interesting ones, though, and some of them will take you a while to figure out.
Word of advice: Quests given by Nopon tend to be the most fun ones.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just got to The back of the Bionis and spent more than an hour swimming around the giant lake and down the river just looking for items. What's wrong with me!

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009
Asked this before and didn't get an answer: Do I need to keep the status effect or resist gems/crystals, and if so, which ranks? My inventory is getting cluttered with these things.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Picked this game up on Saturday but haven't played it much yet (Gamestop was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale so I picked up three other games at the same time.)

Just barely past the part where Fiora gets killed and Shulk and Reyn decide to leave and I'm pretty impressed with the game so far. I started a sidequest and I really liked how they use the Monado's ability to see the future to show you outcomes to sidequests if you do nothing. I saw that and thought to myself, "This is what Kingdoms of Amalur SHOULD have been!"

Also, all the voice acting is so delightfully British and I love it :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

lactomangulation posted:

Asked this before and didn't get an answer: Do I need to keep the status effect or resist gems/crystals, and if so, which ranks? My inventory is getting cluttered with these things.

Honestly, it's up to you. Some Status/Resist gems are kinda hard to find, so maybe getting rid of your previous tier of gems isn't a good idea until you find a steady source of new ones.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

After Bionis' rear end swamp' how much more is there? I seem to be roughly halfway up him.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Sankis posted:

After Bionis' rear end swamp' how much more is there? I seem to be roughly halfway up him.

Xenoblade: "swamp rear end" is literal

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Sankis posted:

A lot, that's still fairly early in the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Sankis posted:

You're maybe 20% of the way through, if that. You have a LOOOOOONNNGG ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

I'm not very far in the game but is it fine to play as a damage dealer and let someone else tank? Or do I need to take more control over tanking?

I played through the entire game with the damage dealers as my party leaders.

• Locked thread