Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Hadlock posted:

So I wanted to do a quick sanity check. I read the first page and the last 10 pages and didn't see this mentioned at all.

What is the consensus on cheap Chinese bikes? Specifically I am looking at the Lifan 200 GS. I want a scooter to commute 2.4 miles to work with, downtown. Top speed is 30-35 mph with no highways. I hate the vespa form factor and top tank mopeds cost $1500 here in Dallas.

The bike is 17hp and 290lbs with 29" standover height. I am about 5'11" with a 30" inseam and 165lbs. I figure I would put just under 1000 miles a year on it riding 3 days a week. Also there's a Lifan dealership 20 minutes from my house. The 200 GS has an out the door price of just under $1800.

From what I've read, these are basically Chinese clone of an early 90s Honda and in fact the carb and other parts can and do bolt right up.

So for my use, is this at all acceptable? Lifan has been selling these since 2009 and I don't see any rash of complaints about them. Or is the chain going to explode like a clamore mine the second I hit a bump?

z3n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

.... According to Google, he has a Ninja 250, is that what you're getting at? Sorry, I am new to AI and don't know what he's (in)famous for.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What is the consensus on cheap Chinese bikes? Specifically I am looking at the Lifan 200 GS. I want a scooter to commute 2.4 miles to work with, downtown. Top speed is 30-35 mph with no highways.

It's a cheap, well build and reliable little bike with excellent spare-part availability. I wouldn't compare any other cheap Chinese bikes to Lifans latest (3-4 years) products.

If it suits your needs, you should buy it. You'll get a lot for your money.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's the answer I was hoping for! Thanks! With a glut of cheap scooter websites these days, it makes it hard to spot the quality vs the no-name brands.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My experience with any of the chinese bikes has been wildly negative, but I haven't been hands on with one of the lifans because I've never had a reason to go for one when you can get a perfectly decent UJM for half the price.

Also you can't really get them reliably titled and street legal in CA. Some people have snuck them by the dmv, some have ended up with offroad only registrations. That's enough to keep me away from them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2932445160.html

What is the consensus on the ZRX1200's? Somebody recommended me one from this thread I made and the look pretty snazzy. I saw one on the freeway yesterday and despite the rider being a total idiot weaving in and out 20 miles above 70mph traffic, the bike looked pretty rad

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That bike looks super rad. I want one. (Also didn't know they existed)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Xovaan posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2932445160.html

What is the consensus on the ZRX1200's? Somebody recommended me one from this thread I made and the look pretty snazzy. I saw one on the freeway yesterday and despite the rider being a total idiot weaving in and out 20 miles above 70mph traffic, the bike looked pretty rad

one of the guys I ride with has one in green. cool bike. I haven't ridden it but I know that when I've ridden behind him the bike can get squirrely at speeds our other bikes don't and he has complained about wobbling in turns etc. could just be his bike has an issue but I'd test ride it first at a normal pace.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

My experience with any of the chinese bikes has been wildly negative, but I haven't been hands on with one of the lifans because I've never had a reason to go for one when you can get a perfectly decent UJM for half the price.

Also you can't really get them reliably titled and street legal in CA. Some people have snuck them by the dmv, some have ended up with offroad only registrations. That's enough to keep me away from them.

At $1800 I don't see the value prospect. That easily gets you a really good used Japanese bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/2895879979.html

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille

I saw the bike already, I purchased a trials bike from this same fellow. Looked great, and he had dirt bike bars on the thing so it's relatively upright which is more my stile.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

At $1800 I don't see the value prospect. That easily gets you a really good used Japanese bike.

That's exactly what I was thinking, for $1800 you could probably pick up a workable Ninja 250 or a GS500. I got my last bike for $400 put about $250 into it and had a bike that ran with almost no maintenance for about a year. I think you can do far better for that amount of $$$.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille

I saw the bike already, I purchased a trials bike from this same fellow. Looked great, and he had dirt bike bars on the thing so it's relatively upright which is more my stile.

Yes. Great bikes, lots of fun, but he's asking too much for it. That should be a lot closer to 3k or maybe even less, considering age and that you can pick up a more modern one or the R model with ohlins and lightweight wheels for around the same price. Also that doesn't look like one of the original paint schemes, so it looks like it's been down or bodged together. Or he pulled all the stickers off of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Z3n posted:

For some reason I never see motorcycles for less than $1500 on craigslist, at least, not here in Dallas. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or do they just get snatched up so fast that they're only listed for a few hours?

There's a Lifan on craigslist right now, presumably you can title them here in TX as the dealership advertises the price "+ TTL" and I don't think they would both carry stock and sell untitled road bikes on the lot.

Are post-1995 EJMs available here in the US? I really like them, but I don't have enough time to struggle with maintaining a 20 year old motorcycle as my daily commuter.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

VTNewb posted:

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2943525769.html

R model with Ohlins, higher mileage but heck the engines are solid and 25k miles in 12 years isn't much at all.

If I didn't have my eye out for a Tuono i'd probably pick it up.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What's the diff between those and the Tuono? The clip-ons?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Basically yes. The Tuono is just a more upright version of the Millie but it's still very much a race bike.

In other news, I'm checking out a 2011 V-Strom 650 this weekend. Exactly the power I want with the ride height I want. Not a fancy Italian bike but eh, I'll take what fits me best. :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

Or do they just get snatched up so fast that they're only listed for a few hours?

This. You'd be surprised how many people snipe motorcycle Craigslists, usually to resell cheap stuff. I tend to check the listings every 30 minutes to an hour if I'm actively looking for a new bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Tuono has handlebars and loses the lower fairings.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So I'm headed out this weekend to check out this to get me through school, grad school, and beyond. I think ultimately what I'm getting with something like a Vstrom is a lot more than I'd get with one of the exotic brands but that's just me. The upgrades seem like they're solid enough to warrant the higher price, considering that I'm gonna be packing miles on this thing.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That's a very nice V-Strom.

I must be the only tall guy who doesn't like the V-Strom 650 seating position. I'm not very flexible so the low, set-back seat and high pegs made me feel more cramped than on a true dual sport or even a Tuono. However, it's got long bars, and a tall seat would be just fine if you need some more space for the legs.

Edit: Looks like tall seats and lowering brackets are available.

Bracket: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/62278-ricks-footpeg-lowering-kit.html
Seat: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4269

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

VTNewb posted:

I purchased a trials bike from this same fellow.

Where are you riding your Trials bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd probably try and get him to toss in some of the aftermarket stuff for that much money, but the bike is very nicely set up.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Didn't even notice that. Definitely press for the accessories, you're going to need a centerstand, skidplate, radiator guard, and crash bars for graduate school the Transamerica Trail. The price is pretty high to begin with (just because it's a new model, not saying it's a bad deal) compared with equivalent but older Stroms, so I think you could get him to throw in the doo-dads if you bring cash and make a case for it. Install them again yourself.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 28, 2019

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Didn't even notice that. Definitely press for the accessories, you're going to need a centerstand, skidplate, radiator guard, and crash bars for graduate school the Transamerica Trail. The price is pretty high to begin with (just because it's a new model, not saying it's a bad deal) compared with equivalent but older Stroms, so I think you could get him to throw in the doo-dads if you bring cash and make a case for it. Install them again yourself.

He's throwing in the center stand, crash bars, and sliders for $8k total. I'm gonna see if I can also get the guard and kick stand as well though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jose Pointero posted:

I'm broke but want a bike. Don't mind wrenching on a fixer-upper for a while until I can afford proper gear+take the MSF. My dad is pretty experienced working on bikes so I can call him up if I get stuck.

So tell me, how dumb am I to be considering this?:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2953022310.html
(screencap)

E-mailed the guy, he says everything is in the shed except for the key...just needs to be put back together. Seat is torn, needs to be repaired or replaced. Selling it because he's moving out and needs it gone quick.

If you feel confident that you can do the work, why not. it could also be a good times having your pops help you with the build too.

I'd offer him $150 though just because the whole key thing sucks. And it's in pieces. The title is good though!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

VTNewb posted:

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille

Is that a stock paint scheme? I think it's an OK but not great price for the bike.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 28, 2019

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Hadlock posted:

For some reason I never see motorcycles for less than $1500 on craigslist, at least, not here in Dallas. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or do they just get snatched up so fast that they're only listed for a few hours?

There's a Lifan on craigslist right now, presumably you can title them here in TX as the dealership advertises the price "+ TTL" and I don't think they would both carry stock and sell untitled road bikes on the lot.

Are post-1995 EJMs available here in the US? I really like them, but I don't have enough time to struggle with maintaining a 20 year old motorcycle as my daily commuter.

Just because they are asking more doesn't mean they won't sell if you show up with cash in hand and play hard ball. It would serve you well to read some of the threads here especially the what bike should I buy thread. Bring up things like tires, chains, sprockets etc. and try to get a discount out of them for those things. If they act like an rear end walk away, there are plenty of other bikes for sale. It's worth it to take your time and do the research so you get EXACTLY what you want.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I know they're super rare but has anyone here ever owned or ridden one of these?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2953173203.html

Not a bad price considering it's pretty unique with that single sided swingarm front end, although I think they should have designed it with a single sided rear swingarm too. I've seen them with very high mileages too so 42k miles doesn't seem a lot and it looks good for it's age.

Kalev
Dec 8, 2006
Alright! Take two. Apparently the honda shadow I was looking at earlier was being sold by the next best thing to hitler. I believe he went to the 'insult your customer and immediately jack up the price on first sight, then try to con him' school of salesmanship. The poor shadow was leaking oil everywhere and looked like it had been dropped down a flight of stairs. Several times. Not a $1700 deal.

Lesson learned!

We've found this, however.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2949385500.html

Seems to be legit, aside from the lol70s seat. Anyone familiar with yamahas at all? Kelly prices it around 900 dollars, so it -seems- to be a deal, provided it doesn't fall apart when we go take a look at it. Or explode. Or the guy turns out to be a horrible jerk.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

I know they're super rare but has anyone here ever owned or ridden one of these?

Not a bad price considering it's pretty unique with that single sided swingarm front end, although I think they should have designed it with a single sided rear swingarm too. I've seen them with very high mileages too so 42k miles doesn't seem a lot and it looks good for it's age.

Really nice bike for longer trips, if it wasn't for the high fuel consumption (about 26-29 US MPG). Engine pulls quite well from about 3500 rpm, but it runs out of breath long before redline. Not the best bike in the twisties, and quite heavy when doing slow-speed manoeuvres, but very stable and the suspension eats bumps and rough spots on the road like no other bike I've tried. Since I've never tried a Telelever BMW, it feels really weird when you brake and the front doesn't dive. Braking in mid-corner seemed completely undramatic.

Some parts are hard to find, and if you find them they are super expensive. The cat for example, last I saw a price for one it was 1400 euros (1800 USD)...

Yes, I still want one.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Kalev posted:

Alright! Take two. Apparently the honda shadow I was looking at earlier was being sold by the next best thing to hitler. I believe he went to the 'insult your customer and immediately jack up the price on first sight, then try to con him' school of salesmanship. The poor shadow was leaking oil everywhere and looked like it had been dropped down a flight of stairs. Several times. Not a $1700 deal.

Lesson learned!

We've found this, however.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2949385500.html

Seems to be legit, aside from the lol70s seat. Anyone familiar with yamahas at all? Kelly prices it around 900 dollars, so it -seems- to be a deal, provided it doesn't fall apart when we go take a look at it. Or explode. Or the guy turns out to be a horrible jerk.

Those are cool bikes. Are you short? It isn't a short person bike, it is a little top heavy and tall. The triple is pretty smooth, makes decent power and an awesome noise. 2 weak spots:

The wiring, which is pretty much the story on any '70s Yamaha.

And there was a 2nd gear falling into neutral issue on some of the 750s, ask the seller if it's been fixed.

That one is missing an airbox in the pics.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

infraboy posted:

I very, very vaguely remember those bikes when they first came out and being utterly fascinated. Looking at it now, other than the neato front end, looks ST1100-ish to me.

I think you should buy it just because.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

slidebite posted:

I very, very vaguely remember those bikes when they first came out and being utterly fascinated. Looking at it now, other than the neato front end, looks ST1100-ish to me.

I think you should buy it just because.

I've done it so many times before already, and I already have a BMW with the cool tele-lever!

I may consider a supermoto in the coming months, While I like the DRZ400sm I keep thinking I REALLY want a KTM 690 but they do cost a lot new or used while the drz400sm can be had for around 3000$ for a good one. I'm surprised theres very little inbetween, until I found this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2954671919.html

Don't know much about Husqvarna but they've been around a while and seem like a fun alternative.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
What's up, guys? I'm taking my test at the end of May but I'm shopping around for a bike now.

I'm a new rider, but I do a lot of pedal cycling and I had a 125 scooter for a couple of years when I wa younger, so I know the ropes of riding. I'm looking for a 250, mainly because insurance on anything else is ridiculous (I'm 23) even though I have no claims and no problems.

I'm mainly looking at Honda 250 models and this CB250RS popped into my sights. It looks pretty sweet; I prefer the classic look to a sporty one, though both can be really nice.

I'm looking for something fun and fuel efficient to commute on and do some light touring -- I don't want to break the speed limit, I just want something reliable and fun as hell. :)

Any thoughts or advice on it?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Mouko posted:

I'm looking for something fun and fuel efficient to commute on and do some light touring -- I don't want to break the speed limit, I just want something reliable and fun as hell. :)

Browsed your UK Ebay for "reliable fun like hell": http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD350-LC2-YPVS-31K-matching-numbers-/140737056875?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20c495106b

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mouko posted:

What's up, guys? I'm taking my test at the end of May but I'm shopping around for a bike now.

I'm a new rider, but I do a lot of pedal cycling and I had a 125 scooter for a couple of years when I wa younger, so I know the ropes of riding. I'm looking for a 250, mainly because insurance on anything else is ridiculous (I'm 23) even though I have no claims and no problems.

I'm mainly looking at Honda 250 models and this CB250RS popped into my sights. It looks pretty sweet; I prefer the classic look to a sporty one, though both can be really nice.

I'd try and find an older ninja 250 instead. Probably cheaper and more reliable, plus very forgiving for new riders and great gas mileage.

infraboy posted:

I've done it so many times before already, and I already have a BMW with the cool tele-lever!

I may consider a supermoto in the coming months, While I like the DRZ400sm I keep thinking I REALLY want a KTM 690 but they do cost a lot new or used while the drz400sm can be had for around 3000$ for a good one. I'm surprised theres very little inbetween, until I found this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2954671919.html

Don't know much about Husqvarna but they've been around a while and seem like a fun alternative.

Cam chains every 10k or so.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Going to look at this today, basically the bike I want in every way. Everyone is telling me to pay asking price, I wanna see if he'll throw in the saddle bags along with it for 3K? This will be my first bike.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2952516511.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
Any thoughts on this SV? Seems like a good seller, and he's done a lot of great stuff to it, but the price is really high for an SV650.

I really want this bike, but I really don't feel like paying more than 3 for it. Anyone have anything I can come at him with (what the market is usually like, etc.) to help me haggle?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/2960590303.html

The Saboteur fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2012