Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Yep, I feel the same way. The same thing can be seen in Minecraft too, where the first night is easily the most compelling part of the game purely because you can't explore thoroughly, set a base camp up AND start gathering needed resources before nightfall (unless you're lucky or very familiar with the mechanics).

NEO Scavenger-wise I like that you're given a vague goal of going East and it's up to you how you want to achieve it. It would be great if later goals could also crop up in an organic way - encountering different factions, landscape features etc could give different micro-goals, such as scouting out a hostile area from the safety of your camp or collecting plot info from enemy camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Playing the demo, cannot for the life of me figure out how to load this rifle I found with these bullets. What am I missing? Put the bullets in the guns container slot! Nope that'd be logical.

EDIT: Wrong bullets, I'm good at video games.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 11, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another news post. BBG is throwing out some pretty good ideas including some proposed changes to lighting/visibility and will include dusk/dawn. See screenshots:

Dawn

Day

Dusk

Night

quote:

You may see a few surrounding hexes with sources of light, as in the city tile above, or DMC tiles. But the map will be covered in nearly complete blackness at night, even the distant hexes you've previously visited. Stumbling around in pitch darkness isn't a good idea in the best of places, forget about a post-apocalyptic wilderness and ruins. Getting around without light is going to cost you.

A quick overview of some of the proposed changes:
  • Moving at night is going to be slower with possibly a slight chance of accidents.
  • Players in lit hexes avoid movement penalties.
  • Scavenging will be less useful at night.
  • Torches/Flashlights may be added to negate movement penalties.
  • Crafting may use a movement point for each completed recipe. The idea being that campsites should be the goto safe(er) spot for doing your crafting.
  • Possibility for creatures to have activity cycles and have to deal with light too.
  • Have some creatures try to avoid fights while others actively hunt.
  • Loot and scavenge icons to be hidden on hexes except those that are in your current view.

quote:

I'm aware that some of them might be too drastic or reduce the fun factor, so I'll be testing it myself, and watching for feedback after they're in.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Suggestion to go along with the new changes: make squirrel corpses last at least like 24 hours before they rot. Camping in one spot and recipes taking AP will make hunting more than 2 tiles from your camp pretty useless.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
News post concerning changes to creature AI is up. It's worth reading the full thing, the explanation is short and also gives a bunch of logged entries of the cycle in action. A few examples:

Looter, looting:
code:
Looter wandering.
Looter approaching loot.
Looter looting.
Looter approaching loot.
Looter looting.
Looter heading home.
Raider, raiding:
code:
Raider approaching loot.
Raider looting.
Raider following scent of Looter
Raider looting.
Raider attacking.
Raider looting. 
Man's best friend:
code:
Dogman sleeping. 
e: Tacking this next news post on here:

News post, no new build today.
  • Found a bug in the wounding code which was causing insta-death.
  • Found a bug which caused items in the ingredients box to disappear if the player ended the turn while the ground had no space left.
  • Found a couple of bugs in camp items that allowed camp stats to achieve crazy levels.

Xik fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 14, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
News update which you can read on the site. Here is a brief overview:

Night Blindness and Night Vision:
  • Created Blindness condition.
  • From what I gather blindness is applied when entering a hex which has a light level below your/creatures "minimum light level" skill.
  • Blindness means you can only move one hex per turn.
  • Night vision as a starting skill may be removed, but you can still obtain the ability via night vision goggles and possibly other items.
  • Dogman has the Nightvision ability by default.
  • "Detection sensitivity" introduced so the player and creatures can stumble into others at night. If they don't detect the creature then they lose their current turn otherwise they can move/attack as normal.

Torches are being worked on:

• There will possibly be two types of torches, fast and slow burning.
  • Fast burning: Stick with a rag.
  • Slow burning: Stick with either a rag+lighter fluid or rag+twigs.
  • Not actually mentioned, but I assume you would still need an original source of fire to actually light it, campfire or lighter maybe?

Fixed bug where clothes reaching 0% condition which would destroy the wrong layer of clothing, and get stuck on the player at 0%.

Sounds good to me, I'm not sure what is going to be changing the detection sensitivity each turn but perhaps it could be effected by how tired/alert you are. Even if you can't see, in theory if you are more awake/alert you would be more likely to notice someone/thing in front of you and if you are tired you would be more likely to just stumble into them.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Xik posted:

News update which you can read on the site. Here is a brief overview:

Night Blindness and Night Vision:
  • Created Blindness condition.
  • From what I gather blindness is applied when entering a hex which has a light level below your/creatures "minimum light level" skill.
  • Blindness means you can only move one hex per turn.
  • Night vision as a starting skill may be removed, but you can still obtain the ability via night vision goggles and possibly other items.
  • Dogman has the Nightvision ability by default.
  • "Detection sensitivity" introduced so the player and creatures can stumble into others at night. If they don't detect the creature then they lose their current turn otherwise they can move/attack as normal.

Torches are being worked on:

• There will possibly be two types of torches, fast and slow burning.
  • Fast burning: Stick with a rag.
  • Slow burning: Stick with either a rag+lighter fluid or rag+twigs.
  • Not actually mentioned, but I assume you would still need an original source of fire to actually light it, campfire or lighter maybe?

Fixed bug where clothes reaching 0% condition which would destroy the wrong layer of clothing, and get stuck on the player at 0%.

Sounds good to me, I'm not sure what is going to be changing the detection sensitivity each turn but perhaps it could be effected by how tired/alert you are. Even if you can't see, in theory if you are more awake/alert you would be more likely to notice someone/thing in front of you and if you are tired you would be more likely to just stumble into them.

You're the best for keeping up with this game Xik and your cat wearing headphones always amuses me. :)

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Xik posted:

It sounds like smart players will hunker down and camp during the night. If implemented right, this will make the game more paranoid and tense at night. Poorly implemented, it might mean a lot of cheap, unavoidable eviscerations-by-dogmen.

I put my faith in the developer, though, because so far he's been really good about pouncing on bugs and balancing issues.

Blooshoo posted:

You're the best for keeping up with this game Xik and your cat wearing headphones always amuses me.

Seconded. Though I always assumed those were earpro headphones, and he was actually a gun-toting operator cat. :iiam:

EDIT: I forgot to ask - does a torch make the player more visible to NPCs, the same way that a campfire does?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

It sounds like smart players will hunker down and camp during the night. If implemented right, this will make the game more paranoid and tense at night. Poorly implemented, it might mean a lot of cheap, unavoidable eviscerations-by-dogmen.

I put my faith in the developer, though, because so far he's been really good about pouncing on bugs and balancing issues.

EDIT: I forgot to ask - does a torch make the player more visible to NPCs, the same way that a campfire does?

BBG has earned my trust at this point I think and seems more then capable of adapting features until it positively impacts the game. If it forces players to think about setting up camp and using night as "downtime" to rest/craft (like BBG says) I can see it working, the major concern will be how often enemies end up "accidentally" walking into you or dogmen finding you. This is even more of a concern since the combat at the moment is so poor and basically relies on you running away, which wouldn't be possible if a dogman pounces on you while sleeping at night.

Regarding torches making the player more visible to NPC's:

quote:

In theory, the torch should lower the MinLightLevel for the purpose of blindness testing in the dark, but it won't affect the vision range at night. It'll also bump up the user's visibility.

Bold mine. I assume this means visibility to other NPCs, because he already states it won't affect vision range? Or perhaps he means that it won't change maximum vision range but will change both player vision and the ability to be seen? I'm not overly certain to be honest.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Seconded. Though I always assumed those were earpro headphones, and he was actually a gun-toting operator cat. :iiam:

Blooshoo posted:

You're the best for keeping up with this game Xik and your cat wearing headphones always amuses me. :)

It's actually a fugitive space cat from a great little space combat game called Flotilla.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another news post which I think clears up the question about the torch light source.

quote:

I wanted day/night ambient light to adjust how visible a creature was, but not the visibility of their light sources. So now, a creature's visibility goes up and down with daylight, but a torch will blow their cover at night.
Bold mine. So from what I gather, the player/NPC visibility is affected by the time of day Dawn/Day/Dusk/Night and then another visibility check on top of that for any light sources in the current tile (torch, campfire etc).

quote:

I also added a slight penalty to a creature's awareness based on their fatigue level. I may expand this into other conditions as well, if I find others that make sense.
Awesome, it's almost as if BBG is reading this thread :swoon:

Also, regarding the torches, there are now 13 different recipes for them:

quote:

3 to create the two different types of torch, and 10 for lighting each of them with the various sources of flame.
A bunch of AI changes are also in the works related to ambushing and fleeing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: :frogsiren: HUGE BUILD UPDATE: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Beta Build: 0.930b (Build number wasn't incremented :ohdear:)

Full news item is on the site, but it's literally this exact list. Luckily BBG already made this update into a list so I didn't have to go through and pick out the "good bits". If you are curious what a particular list item does, the last half dozen posts by me in this thread pretty much explains most of the new mechanics (which are based on previous news items).

• Added dawn/dusk tiles.
  • Changed map to use dawn/dusk tiles within 2 hours of dawn and dusk, respectively.
  • Added light levels per hex type, per time of day.
  • Changed nightvision property to lower minimum light level for seeing, rather than visual range at night.
  • Visual range scales down with light level when below a creature's minimum.
  • Changed visibility code to return a minimum of center hex, instead of center + adjacent ring (night time may only reveal current hex).
  • Changed visibility code to compare hex light level against creature's minimum light level.
  • Some explored night hexes are black silhouettes now.
  • Crafting now takes 1 move, and cannot be done with 0 moves left.
  • Changed tile icons to only be visible if tile is.
  • Added night blindness based on time of day and hex type (e.g. wooded hexes may still be too dark to see at dawn/dusk).
  • Added light level modifiers to scavenging.
  • Added a new creature property: Detection Level. Changes per-turn, and is used to detect hidden creatures.
  • Added creature detection code to calculate creature visibility, detection, and lighting levels.
  • Added creature detection level modifier based on fatigue.
  • Some creatures will flee now, depending on their behavior/wound level.
  • Creatures now have activity cycles, and will often sleep during their preferred down time.
  • Dogmen are nocturnal now.
  • All creatures start with random fatigue, hunger, thirst, and other stats, for variety.
  • Torches added to the game, to help combat night blindness in low-light conditions.
  • Campfires and tiny campfires also contribute to lighting (and detection).
  • Updated intro tutorial sequence so map tutorial is immediately before seeing map, and scavenge tutorial is only at first scavenge attempt (anywhere). City intro scene still on first city.
  • Fixed a bug in the opening encounter that caused repeated injury after dealing with dogman.
  • Moved nightfall encounter later to coincide with new actual nightfall.
  • Fixed a bug with items not degrading in unseen hexes at night.
  • Fixed a bug with ingredients degrading at end of turn without updating crafting output.
  • Added recipes for 2x and 3x water boiled in pot.
  • Fixed bug in factions where bandit and player shared faction.
  • Added code to make AI temporarily avoid hexes they previously got ambushed in.
  • Added code to make a cornered AI try to run in a random direction.
  • Fixed a bug in degrading items that would cause some items to be left behind, stuck with 0.0% condition.
  • Fixed a bug in the way camps were saved (added items were overstacking stats).
  • Dogman now starts with night vision.
  • Added surprise outcomes when bumping into unseen creatures.
  • Fixed a bug where removing an item from a rotates stack caused remainder to rotate.
  • Fixed a bug in wounding which caused players to die prematurely when using Fragile or had a Mortal Wound.
  • Fixed a bug which deleted crafting ingredients if player ended turn with not enough ground space for ingredients.
  • Fixed a bug where non-stacking conditions would stack when items added to camp.
  • Fixed several camp save/load bugs.
  • Fixed a bug in fire and noise traps not working in camp.
  • Fixed bug in dissassembled tarp shelter recipe.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Xik posted:

It's actually a fugitive space cat from a great little space combat game called Flotilla.

I remember that game! I played it a little when it first came out. There wasn't much to it, but the art direction and the sense of humor were very endearing.

This update is super exciting. I can't wait until I get some downtime later today.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Excuse the doublepost, please.

I snuck in a couple sessions this morning. Two very important things to note:

1. Dusk and dawn are difficult times. Nighttime is downright murderous.

2. :siren: Make finding a lighter your first priority. :siren: Night time comes on fast - if it's evening and you haven't found one yet, consider killing a looter/raider for theirs. It really is that important.

Without a torch, you will have a very difficult time finding shelter and other essentials to make it through the first night. Meanwhile, your chance of stumbling into a Dogman is . . . regrettably high.

How do you make a longer burning torch, instead of a "crude" torch?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It sounds great, hopefully I'll have some time later today to play a few games.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

How do you make a longer burning torch, instead of a "crude" torch?

According to the previous news item:

Fast burning: Stick with a rag.
Slow burning: Stick with either a rag+lighter fluid or rag+twigs.

e: VVVVV The Nightvision ability should be gone from the ability selection screen. It was removed with this patch.

Xik fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 21, 2012

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Gonna try a nightvision/medic/melee/tough guy next time I play to see how everything is, even though combat is still in its infancy. Maybe with Metabolism and Tracking so that I can still wear my squirrelsuit while I eat squirreljerky.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: New Build :frogsiren:

A new build has been released. It is the exact same build as previously mentioned but with the build number incremented. Make sure you are running version 0.931b when you load it up, if not, try a hard refresh (Control+F5 in Firefox) or clearing your cache.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: New Build: :frogsiren:

Beta Build: 0.932b

Full news item is on the site.
  • Fixed AI big which would cause a cash.
  • Crafting of rifles should no longer delete ammo inside the rifle.
  • Change to attack mode: when equipping a better weapon it will be the selected attack instead of reverting back to "punch".

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
So how much does the beta add on top of what the demo had going on? I've run through the demo a lot and think I've seen all there is to see (been to the sprawl and then some).

However, this game really grabbed me so if there is more going on in the beta then I'm happy to donate to see what's going on and help development.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

tokyosexwale posted:

So how much does the beta add on top of what the demo had going on?

Demo Build: 0.916d
Beta Build: 0.932b

In terms of features, the beta has a quite a bit. Every update that I've posted about over the last couple weeks (at least) has been beta only. In terms of plot encounters/continuing the story it has nothing more then the demo.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: Build Update: :frogsiren:

In todays news: Xik won't stop posting and NEO Scavenger gets a new build.

Beta Build: 0.933b

• Fixed invalid creature condition which would cause crashing.
  • Fixed scent tracking bug in dead creatures.
  • Slight change to the AI movement penalties for night blindness.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Xik posted:

In todays news: Xik won't stop posting and NEO Scavenger gets a new build.

Xik shouldn't stop posting when NEO Scavenger gets a new build :colbert:

Seriously, I don't check out the website that often, but I enjoy reading the thread, and I get the updates at the same time. Win-win!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Darval posted:

Xik shouldn't stop posting when NEO Scavenger gets a new build :colbert:

Seriously, I don't check out the website that often, but I enjoy reading the thread, and I get the updates at the same time. Win-win!
Same here. Keep it up xik. Thanks for keeping us updated.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
Yeah. Blue Bottle games is pushing out updates at incredible speed but you've also been ridiculously diligent about updating this thread. I check this thread whenever I see a new post so keep it up.

Also, it happened a few pages back, but I just want to give kudos to Blue Bottle for such a rapid turn around on the paypal thing. You could have just said, "Eh, that's how it is," and not done anything but instead you called them up and had it changed really fast because people had issues with it. That's pretty cool, man.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another news update, no new build.

BBG is working on a couple of neat little additions, including:

• Alphabetize the recipe list.
  • Fixed bug where AI would walk into critical plot hexes
  • There is a discussion about creature detection over on the forums. If you have an opinion, you should make it heard (I know you do because this is the Internet).
  • Some encounter editor draw optimizations in preparation for extending the plot/adding more encounters.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
Hey Guys! I wanted to echo the praise for Xik's diligent updates. This thread is probably the most consistently active discussion on NEO Scavenger outside of the BBG forums, and I check back regularly to see what folks are saying. So kudos, Xik!

@tokyosexwale - My pleasure! I'm all for making the purchasing process as painless and transparent as possible. I'm hoping that in the future, especially when there is a stable build to download, I can expand into some more traditional storefronts (e.g. Desura, Steam) so people can choose the method that suits them most.

Regarding the demo vs. beta, Xik pretty much nailed it. The plot content is about the same right now, whereas the beta's features have evolved quite a bit from the demo (e.g. save/load, richer day/night gameplay, camps, AI behaviors, improved UI, lots of bug fixes). More plot is currently a front-runner on the voting page, just after larger resolution/fonts, so that expansion is on the way.

Surprisingly, combat is a few ranks below that, despite it's relative primitiveness and the frequent frustrations people voice. Though, I'm not exactly sure how to improve it yet, so maybe that's okay.

Back to the original point, though, thanks for the active discussion and thoughtful feedback. It's been very helpful!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've said it before, but I'll say it again; thanks BBG for keeping up with the thread and taking our problems/suggestions into account.

Beta Build: 0.934b

• Player quick recipe buttons are now alphabetized.
  • Added scavenge locations to save game data.
  • Made the "rest+heal" button stay visible when resting, to allow player to stop resting.
  • Creatures should no longer enter or spawn in junk store and critical path encounter hexes.
  • Added mummy sack item to game. This is a new sleeping bag which is much more portable than the original bulky one. It's more rare, however.
  • Pill bottles now have a smaller storage space, more appropriate to their size.
  • Pills now stack 10 high, making their storage more logical, and in-line with the new pill bottle size.
  • Changed the medkit to only fit nanorobot refills inside.
  • Increased gelli bear and ketchup stack limits.
  • Updated treasure to work with optional items (e.g. bulky sleeping bag OR mummy bag, rather than a chance of both)
  • Fixed a bug whereby scavenging was blocked by an undetected nearby creature.
  • Fixed a bug in quick recipes that caused recipe hints to fail to update list when picked up.

This is the first time I've heard the term "Mummy sack", so naturally I searched for it. The first result was a mummification/bondage fetish fan fic site. Never change Internet. (FYI: It's just a type of sleeping bag.)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Beta Build: 0.935b

• Added camp icon.
  • Large update to creature conditions.
  • Added container preview to tooptips.
  • Sleep button has been moved to the camp page.
  • Changes to visibility system including reduced visibility when not moving for an entire turn.

Camp Icon:

Creature Conditions:
  • Extreme hunger and thirst conditions now negatively affect encumberance.
  • Fatigue now contributes to increased metabolism rate.
  • Shivering and heat exhaustion conditions now reduce sleep quality, potentially waking player up.
  • Sleep now lowers metabolism and raises healing rate.
  • Myopia now reduces player's creature detection chances.
  • Eagle eye and optics now increase player's creature detection chances.

Container Toolip:

Sleep Button Moved:

The visibility system change which will have the biggest impact appears to be:

quote:

Creatures that stand still for at least one turn are now harder to spot. Moving creatures have about the same visibility as what players are used to. However, if the player or another creature stands still for a whole turn, their visibility drops.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BlueBottleGames posted:

Surprisingly, combat is a few ranks below that, despite it's relative primitiveness and the frequent frustrations people voice. Though, I'm not exactly sure how to improve it yet, so maybe that's okay.

To some extent, this is self-fufilling. From the start, combat has been a horrible death-trap and the best way to handle it was "ignore combat, train to be good at everything else". So the people who continue to play the game are people who accept that the combat is crap and are willing to play it anyway. Those people by nature would not have combat as a high priority, or else they wouldn't have kept playing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Zaodai posted:

To some extent, this is self-fufilling.

There is probably some truth to that. Those that care that much about the combat probably would have passed over the game already and those that are still here are more interested in the survival/plot side of it as reflected in the player voting.

A quick news update. BBG has been doing some PR related stuff including an interview which I'll post here when he posts it.

There may be changes to the crafting system coming in the future:

quote:

..ingredient substitutions (e.g. using the various types of water in a purification recipe, or the various sources of flame when lighting a torch), as well as identifying which ingredients are tools vs. consumed items.
This was sort of mentioned before when all those recipes had to be individually created for the various flame sources for the torch. I think the idea was that some items become grouped so when implementing a recipe it would be possible to just add the group. So you would have say [torch recipe] + [flame source group] = lit torche or something. But this is all speculation on my part and may not be implemented so take it with a grain of salt (plus it wouldn't directly change anything for the player, but make it easier for BBG to add recipes later).

quote:

It also may be time to start looking into our next voted feature: higher resolution.
Higher resolution/fonts is next up in feature voting and then more plot encounters after that if the voting hasn't changed.

e: bad@engrish

Xik fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 27, 2012

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Xik posted:

There may be changes to the crafting system coming in the future:

This was sort of mentioned before when all those recipes had to be individually created for the various flame sources for the torch. I think the idea was that some items become grouped so when implementing a recipe it would be possible to just add the group. So you would have say [torch recipe] + [flame source group] = lit torche or something. But this is all speculation on my part and may not be implemented so take it with a grain of salt (plus it wouldn't directly change anything for the player, but make it easier for BBG to add recipes later).

I was actually about to suggest something like this.
Giving each item internal "tags" or "attributes", like "Fire Source" "Edible" "Liquid" "Clothing", etc. would make item handling a lot smoother, as lighting a torch would be as simple as adding the stick plus "Fabric" or "Clothing" plus "Fire Source" (plus possibly "Fuel" for longer burning torches) and there you go, instead of creating a hundred recipes for every permutation capable of making this one item.

Also, when clothing degenerates into unusability, it should become a "Rags" item, which can be used to repair other clothes (possibly with a needle and thread/sewing kit) or used in recipes like the Torch or even making a rifle sling or a rucksack (Stick plus "Fabric" or "Clothing", makes a container about as large as a plastic bag inside, never breaks, must be carried in hand)

Just a few thoughts.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
In a complex game with a shitload of items, that's really the only way to do crafting without requiring a wiki open in another browser. I kinda hoped the game crafting was already like that.

Also makes it easier to add in new crafting recipes and items for the devs.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
A short news update:

The crafting system changes have been put on hold for now.

quote:

So after a morning of wrestling with crafting system redesigns, I took a few steps back, and realized it was a huge amount of work for relatively small gain.

And some votes have been dumped into plot encounters which means it is now equal with bigger resolution/fonts.

There is also a small :frogsiren: Build Update: :frogsiren:

Beta Build: 0.936b

• Fixed bug where where sleep was triggered when visiting the camp screen.
  • The crafting area is now cleared of skills before an encounter starts.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
A very quick news update:

BBG is going to be working on plot/encounters for a while so updates will probably slow down.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Beta Build: 0.937b

• Fixed a bug where noise traps wouldn't update the camp stat bars.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause item images to remain in inventory after being removed due to encounters.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause hexes to get stuck as "seen" if revealed by a scavenge creature appearing.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented scope/binoculars from immediately changing nearby creature visibility when equipped.
  • Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause hexes not to be revealed correctly when scope/binoculars equipped.
  • Fixed bug where creatures could keep moving after attacking.
Work continues on the plot...

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Xik posted:

[*]Fixed a bug where noise traps wouldn't update the camp stat bars.

Oh sweet, I thought I was using them wrong. Trapping will be even more useful now.

I've noticed that botany seems to find me a lot more water when scavanging. Is that actually real or am I imagining it?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is an interesting interview with Daniel up on some site I've never heard of. It's part one of two, this first part is more about him setting up BBG, indie game dev, inspirations for NEO, piracy etc. If you are only interested in reading specifically about NEO then wait for part two, which I'll post tomorrow when it's up.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Xik posted:

There is an interesting interview with Daniel up on some site I've never heard of. It's part one of two, this first part is more about him setting up BBG, indie game dev, inspirations for NEO, piracy etc. If you are only interested in reading specifically about NEO then wait for part two, which I'll post tomorrow when it's up.

I have to say, Daniel seems like my kind of chap! Interesting read..can't wait for the 2nd one.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Part two of the interview is up and is exclusively about NEO, definitely worth a read.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

That interview was pretty good! Some stuff I assumed or expected but some interesting stuff about deadlines and effort into plot and games beyond. Got me to start playing this again after having taken a break for awhile since I'd end up sinking hours into it trying to get further and further. Something I noticed that still occurs just like it did a month ago is the newspaper scraps that you learn recipes from. Clicking them into your inventory gets recipes just fine. But then when I click to get them out of my inventory, they give me more recipes. And if I put them back I get more recipes. I can usually cycle that two or three times before it runs out of recipes to give me. Is that meant to be intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Beta Build: 0.938b

• Fixed a bug in the UI that would cause a crash when encumbrance limit was < 0.
  • Fixed a bug that caused camp stat bars to show wrong value when increasing/decreasing stacks within.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause some scavenge-spawned enemies to disappear when switching optics in/out on character.

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Something I noticed that still occurs just like it did a month ago is the newspaper scraps that you learn recipes from. Clicking them into your inventory gets recipes just fine. But then when I click to get them out of my inventory, they give me more recipes. And if I put them back I get more recipes. I can usually cycle that two or three times before it runs out of recipes to give me. Is that meant to be intentional?

You can actually do it indefinitely and get a whole bunch of recipes last I checked. It wasn't intentional and was originally reported as a bug on the official forums but has sort of been left in so new players can abuse it if they want.

Daniel's response on the official forums posted:

It is indeed a bug! Though, a somewhat useful one :)

I plan to eventually fix that, but for the moment, I'm ok with people getting extra hints. But never fear, magic paper scraps are duly noted!

• Locked thread