Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Superstring posted:

I'm way early and about to head to Colony 6 and Reyn is starting to have some difficulty holding aggro. I've had him in defense improving gear and gemming for defense as well. Should I give him some dps gear instead or gem for strength?

Do you have Shadow Eye on Shulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm only at Satorl and really absolutely loving this but man I wish the (END? STORY TWIST THEORIZING AND I'M 99.999% SURE I'M RIGHT)the whole thing about the face mechons being former humans was really obvious. The first few scenes where Metal face showed up I immediately guessed "oh, hey. It's that dude from the intro". Maybe there's another twist later on, though. I'm still pretty early.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

My only complaint so far is that I feel like it takes way too long to check/compare/change my gear. So many other things about this game are already so streamlined compared to most other RPGs, but an option to equip things on people right when you purchase them would go a long way.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Sankis posted:

I'm only at Satorl and really absolutely loving this but man I wish the (END? STORY TWIST THEORIZING AND I'M 99.999% SURE I'M RIGHT)the whole thing about the face mechons being former humans was really obvious. The first few scenes where Metal face showed up I immediately guessed "oh, hey. It's that dude from the intro". Maybe there's another twist later on, though. I'm still pretty early.

You got like, 1 of the 4 or so plot twists in the game. Do not fear, there is more crazy poo poo coming. That's probably the smallest one and the game actually tells you as early as Colony 6 fight against Xord. You can talk to a girl in Colony 9 who says her dad Xord had a weapons shop in town

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

PirateNipple posted:

My only complaint so far is that I feel like it takes way too long to check/compare/change my gear. So many other things about this game are already so streamlined compared to most other RPGs, but an option to equip things on people right when you purchase them would go a long way.

Also gems should transfer over when you change equipment. It's not gamebreaking but with all the other brilliant design choices you'd think they would get something so obvious and inconvenient.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Superstring posted:

I'm way early and about to head to Colony 6 and Reyn is starting to have some difficulty holding aggro. I've had him in defense improving gear and gemming for defense as well. Should I give him some dps gear instead or gem for strength?

Take a look at all the Arts you have equipped to him, and make sure he's got a lot that increase aggro. His auras are especially useful, and the Bone Upper + Dive Sobat combo should make it so none of his attacks ever miss.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ZebTM posted:

played for an hour or so. i couldn't find a way to change resolution so the game runs in letterbox view on my 4:3 television. combined with the screen being fuzzy for some reason, it's hard to read the text sometimes, or more importantly what buttons you're being told to press in order to do things. If anyone has suggestions for either of these options I'd appreciate it (My GameCube worked fine with all the games I played on this TV with)

aside from that rubbish it's probably too early to give an impression yet, I'm liking the general feel of the game at least. looking forward to going exploring
It seems like Monolith really intended this game to be played in progressive scan. If your TV doesn't support component input, I don't know that there's much you can do.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Chaltab posted:

It seems like Monolith really intended this game to be played in progressive scan. If your TV doesn't support component input, I don't know that there's much you can do.

i bought it for $15 from a thrift store and it's so old it has a built in VHS slot

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I just got the heropon and I'm looking for suggestions on how to use him. Apparently a lot of people like using him for your main, but what sidekicks do you choose? My one attempt at having him as my main led to terrible weeping against a unique as I lacked heals to be effective. How would you suggest building him and what role should I think of him as?

Also I ran into a nasty AI issue in the following boss fight that makes me worry I should always control Shulk. When fighting the Telethia controlling Riki Shulk *refused* to use his aura squash, thus putting me in a position where I could only really damage the dude by repeatedly casting poison. This of course failed horrible as soon as I started hitting regen mode. Had I not saved right before the fight I would have been screwed, as there's no way to force Shulk to use the ability (every chain attack his talent was on cooldown). Are there many fights in the game like this where it'll be a problem? If so I'm really concerned about not maining as Shulk...

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Brackhar posted:

So I just got the heropon and I'm looking for suggestions on how to use him. Apparently a lot of people like using him for your main, but what sidekicks do you choose? My one attempt at having him as my main led to terrible weeping against a unique as I lacked heals to be effective. How would you suggest building him and what role should I think of him as?

Also I ran into a nasty AI issue in the following boss fight that makes me worry I should always control Shulk. When fighting the Telethia controlling Riki Shulk *refused* to use his aura squash, thus putting me in a position where I could only really damage the dude by repeatedly casting poison. This of course failed horrible as soon as I started hitting regen mode. Had I not saved right before the fight I would have been screwed, as there's no way to force Shulk to use the ability (every chain attack his talent was on cooldown). Are there many fights in the game like this where it'll be a problem? If so I'm really concerned about not maining as Shulk...

Riki just does tons of damage over time. Get his main four skills, (Bitey Bitey, Lurgy, Freezinate, and Burninate) and you simply melt enemies. Riki gets a heal, but I'm not sure which level he learns it at. As for party members, you can honestly use him with anyone - he's very versatile. The last issue isn't a common problem. Telethia fights are few and far between. It's also fully possible to beat a lot of them without using Aura Burst at all. If worst comes to worst, you can just switch Shulk into your main for them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Riki can also act as a tank in that, while he doesn't actually have much (if any) in the way of aggro-drawing powers, he can still get enemies' attention with the damage and take hits because of his truly absurd amount of HP.

(Also, I have to ask: was the Strongbad reference in the original Japanese script or just something Nintendo of Europe added?)

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Riki can also act as a tank in that, while he doesn't actually have much (if any) in the way of aggro-drawing powers, he can still get enemies' attention with the damage and take hits because of his truly absurd amount of HP.

(Also, I have to ask: was the Strongbad reference in the original Japanese script or just something Nintendo of Europe added?)

It's called "モエモエだも" (moemoedamo) in Japanese, so it seems like a localization thing (which makes sense since I highly doubt HSR is known at all in Japan).

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Ugh, I'm level 71 and a half, and already at the level 76 boss Lorithia in the heart and obviously I can't kill it. Do I have no choice but to grind on the around monsters for a few hours? I have nothing done with the Colony 6 reconstruction will that give me any exp? If not, can anybody recommend anything else?

(and before anybody is worried of grinding, this is because I didn't do any side quests in the last 10 or 20 levels so I was always falling a bit behind.)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Daynab posted:

Ugh, I'm level 71 and a half, and already at the level 76 boss Lorithia in the heart and obviously I can't kill it. Do I have no choice but to grind on the around monsters for a few hours? I have nothing done with the Colony 6 reconstruction will that give me any exp? If not, can anybody recommend anything else?

(and before anybody is worried of grinding, this is because I didn't do any side quests in the last 10 or 20 levels so I was always falling a bit behind.)

Restoring Colony 6 will give you a few achievements and unlock some more quests - some about defending Colony 6 from monsters, and others from the people you invite to move in - which will get you exp, although I couldn't tell you if it's a useful amount or not considering how late in the game you are.

You'll definitely want to level up quite a bit though. Lorithia's the hardest story boss in the game, in my opinion.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I just wanted to report in from my frantic playing of this game to remind everyone that Riki loving owns and if you don't think so you can jump into a river.

gently caress Yes

Jesus poo poo, yea

Rawrgh get hosed

This game has some of the best music ever in videogames.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 12, 2012

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not part of any series. It's completely unrelated in every way to Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Can this be added to the top of the OP in big bold text with some sirens and stuff? It seems like the question gets asked a lot and the Xeno name might even be turning people off from the game before they even ask the question.

I think it was a bad decision to give the game that name, aside from Xenogears I can't really say I have a positive association with those games, and I don't think many do.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's got the barest of similarities, if anything (the name "Monado", is a reference to Gnosticism, woo :v:), but otherwise anything similar is just due to being from the same authorship.

In an interview somewhere, I think Takahashi said something along the lines of "This is the game we've been trying to make", and that it took two messes to realize that going too heavy on cutscenes inevitably drowned the game and devoured the budget.

They hadn't actually planed on adding Xeno- to the name in the first place, but supposedly they did that so it'd bring recognition to the team behind it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mazed posted:

They hadn't actually planed on adding Xeno- to the name in the first place, but supposedly they did that so it'd bring recognition to the team behind it.

Yeah, the original title was Monado: Beginning of the World, right?

Guess adding the Xeno helps negligibly with sales, though :v:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I'm on a strict rationing of electricity thanks to things like 'unemployment' and 'having a meter you need to pre-pay', and this game has completely hosed up said rationing.

Goddamnit, Louisgod.

'Shut everything down and get some rest' time is now Reyn time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, you might want to do SOME sidequests. Have you not even done the ones that auto complete? You should be around level 50-52 at that spot.

Man, i was level 60 at the end of sword valley, and i never even killed any enemies that weren't named or explicitly needed for a quest.
I think i did too many quests.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 12, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Correct. It's sorta-sound reasoning from a marketing standpoint. 'gears and 'saga are relatively well-known, so more likely to attract attention.

As for "Monado", to elaborate further, that (if you didn't know :eng101:) is based on "Monad", the Gnostic term for the origin point of all existence, both physical and spiritual. The beginning of the world, if you will...Takahashi will never stop injecting his favorite obscure Christian heresy into video games somehow.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Well I sat down and blasted through the entirety of the Ether Mines tonight after exhausting all the sidequests I could find except for ones I was too low-leveled to deal with. I'm currently sitting in Satorl Marsh and I'm probably going to break to go see what new sidequests might have spawned while I've been away.

The sheer number of sidequests this game has is really making this game seem a lot longer than the main plot probably requires, but doing them all isn't making me feel too overpowered, it just lets me ignore a good number of enemies in the plot dungeons but keeps me leveled enough to deal with the bosses. I mean, I've seen where I am quoted as being about 20% through the game and I've already got something around 20 hours. Jesus christ. And if I ever get tired of sidequests, I can move the plot whenever I please.

The clock/npc/sidequest system in this game really reminds me conceptually of what Majora's Mask did way back when, where every NPC had a routine and you had to adapt your actions to that routine. But this time, you can also move the clock to whatever hour you want!

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure I've guessed at least one of the major twists of this game already, but we'll see once I get further in.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Game just went up £7-8 on Amazon for the UK. I'm not sure why but I guess it's due to the American release somehow, guess I'll be waiting a little longer before I buy this :( There's not the same limited stock thing in Europe as there is in North America is there?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

NoneSuch posted:

Game just went up £7-8 on Amazon for the UK. I'm not sure why but I guess it's due to the American release somehow, guess I'll be waiting a little longer before I buy this :( There's not the same limited stock thing in Europe as there is in North America is there?

No idea. I bought it on the 2nd for £22 so I don't know why they'd make it £30 all of a sudden.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Volt Catfish posted:

Honestly, I think it hurts sales in the west more than it helps.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Honestly, I think it hurts sales in the west more than it helps.

"Monado" is a pretty nonsensical word. A person who knows nothing about the game that sees the cover and title will think "oh poo poo cool I use some strange alien sword to stab the poo poo out of a giant monster" which, had the game been a normal release, could've improved sales.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Before learning who was making the game, to be honest, I though "monado" sounded like some kind of brand of cheese. I dunno.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, while I love JRPGs and I agree that this is the best JRPG in a long time, I take issue with some people proclaiming this the next coming of gaming or something. It still falls into a lot of JRPG/Anime traps - most of which don't involve gameplay, thankfully - like being sentimental to the point of absurdity, having a bland prettyboy main character, etc. And while it is really fun, and I'll certainly play it to the end, I'm not seeing the same appeal that some of you are - the ones that have put in over 100 hours and still aren't bored of it.

I'm thinking a lot of this word-of-mouth hype may have been fueled by a need to prove Nintendo wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game with well designed gameplay and incredible music, but I doubt it's going to convert non-JRPG gamers or anything.

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006
So I just got myself a copy of this and sat down with a tasty beverage and was all fired up to get down to it... and this game doesn't support my Wavebird controller :(

I am very sad about this.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
No one said the game is the second coming and the OP and several others keep telling us GC controllers don't work. :colbert:

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006

TheLoser posted:

No one said the game is the second coming and the OP and several others keep telling us GC controllers don't work. :colbert:

I don't consider the wavebird a GC controller. I consider the greatest offering ever made to the gaming community.

But yeah I saw that in the OP and didn't want to believe it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I haven't been following the hype too closely, but I certainly don't think it's going to explode past it's niche genre. I like jRPGs, too. Luckily this is one of the best ones made for this generation, and it doesn't need to be more than that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know no one said exactly that - but sentiment is there, everyone is falling over themselves to give breathless praise. Again, it's a great game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and the gameplay is indeed very fun.

Mainly I'm taking issue with people who say the characters and story are a breath of fresh air - while there thankfully aren't any obnoxious characters, I'm still seeing a lot of tired anime tropes, especially in Shulk's personality (lackthereof) and character design (oh god some of his armor choices look so dumb).

Maybe things improve later on - and I hope they do. But none of the characters so far are really compelling to me, except Dickson and Dunban. They should have been the main characters.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not seeing the same appeal that some of you are - the ones that have put in over 100 hours and still aren't bored of it.

I'm thinking a lot of this word-of-mouth hype may have been fueled by a need to prove Nintendo wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game with well designed gameplay and incredible music, but I doubt it's going to convert non-JRPG gamers or anything.
It's a matter of taste. You're right that it's not going to convert someone whose main menu is Call of Duty and Gears. At the same time, it does of a lot of things that those already into RPGs never knew they needed.

No grinding.
Huge, explorable world balanced with clear direction.
Characters who still follow tropes, but aren't complete caricatures.
A bazillion OPTIONAL things to do on the side, with no story penalty for ignoring them.
Interesting, innovative mythology that's weaved into the story rather than pulled from an in game dictionary.
Fun battle mechanics.
Jumping into rivers from high gently caress-off cliffs.

It may not be game of the year for everyone but it's a solid contender for jRPG of the last ten years.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just saying a lot of people have gone a little far with their praise, especially about the characters. I really hope it sells like hotcakes and Nintendo is proved dead wrong.

It's just sad that "best JRPG of the last 10 years" is kind of mixed praise. Not exactly a stretch when you look at the competition and its lack of innovation. Now someone needs to reinvent the tactical RPG - loving Nippon Ichi has turned it into a horrible grind-a-thon.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just saying a lot of people have gone a little far with their praise, especially about the characters. I really hope it sells like hotcakes and Nintendo is proved dead wrong.

It's just sad that "best JRPG of the last 10 years" is kind of mixed praise. Not exactly a stretch when you look at the competition and its lack of innovation. Now someone needs to reinvent the tactical RPG - loving Nippon Ichi has turned it into a horrible grind-a-thon.

It's important to note that when the bar for JRPGs has been reduced to such low standards that a game like Xenoblade, which bucks so many lovely JRPG trends, while obviously not the BEST GAME EVER, is still a huge breath of fresh air for the genre.

Yes it has faults, yes it's by no means perfect, but it does so much right that the few things it does wrong can either be forgiven or ignored, as all JRPG baggage isn't going to be left behind in one fell swoop. I disagree that people have gone too far with praise specifically for the characters, mostly because the characters' attitudes are that of adults and they for the most part approach situations with a logical course of action instead of letting their young age get the best of them, which happens in every JRPG created. I'm not sure how far you are in the game but the characters consistently make good decisions and respond to situations appropriately.

Also, as an aside, there actually is a reason why Shulk is the way he is and that gets touched upon a ways into the game.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
How rewarding is the series of fetch/collection quests revolving around the rebuilding of Colony 6? If the rewards are good, then I will do them for a while, but if I get better gems and gear from progressing the story then I'll probably skip this series.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Louisgod posted:

I disagree that people have gone too far with praise specifically for the characters, mostly because the characters' attitudes are that of adults and they for the most part approach situations with a logical course of action instead of letting their young age get the best of them, which happens in every JRPG created. I'm not sure how far you are in the game but the characters consistently make good decisions and respond to situations appropriately.

I am on the I love the characters bandwagon right now, and I think it is easy to explain their decent decision making skills given their upbringing and war experience. They may be very young, but they have a lot of experience in dealing with the enemy. I am guessing had we all been brought up in the same manner, we would be able to make those quick judgement decisions as well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Also, as an aside, there actually is a reason why Shulk is the way he is and that gets touched upon a ways into the game.
Ok, since I'm not all that far in (just finished the Swamp) I'll shut up about Shulk's character design and see what happens to him as the game progresses. I guess I was judging it a bit early, although I would argue first impressions are important.

Utnayan posted:

I am on the I love the characters bandwagon right now, and I think it is easy to explain their decent decision making skills given their upbringing and war experience. They may be very young, but they have a lot of experience in dealing with the enemy. I am guessing had we all been brought up in the same manner, we would be able to make those quick judgement decisions as well.
I'm not bothered by the decisions they make, I'm bothered by the cutscene paralysis where characters talk at each other for long stretches when they could easily make a move to attack, or should have been cut down by waves of enemies long ago. It's not as bad as in other games, but it's there.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

How rewarding is the series of fetch/collection quests revolving around the rebuilding of Colony 6? If the rewards are good, then I will do them for a while, but if I get better gems and gear from progressing the story then I'll probably skip this series.

At the very least you should finish level 1 of each category in rebuilding Colony 6. After completing level 1 you get an item that you can turn in to the Gem Stall guy to unlock the ability to craft gems from the menu, instead of having to travel to Colony 9 all the time.

• Locked thread