Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Hood is one of those songs, along with Split Open and Melt and Piper, that just honestly haven't worked for me very much in 3.0. The 12/28/10 one was really different from other Hoods, but the Plinko (specifically Mike's bassline) was new enough to me that I was able to take enjoyment from it.

Mike's great bass hooks get caught in my head all the time.

Check out his little solos throughout this Mockingbird, my favorite version.

And a great picture taboot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_GkVuTY40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I thought there was a lot to like about the Woosta run from '10. The Heavy Things from that run might be my favorite version of that song ever.

Also have to disagree with Elephunk that the plinko-Hood wasn't pretty sweet. Sure, it didn't really peak - but that one was an original.

P.S. -

Phans for the return of Pigtail.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

I thought there was a lot to like about the Woosta run from '10. The Heavy Things from that run might be my favorite version of that song ever.

Also have to disagree with Elephunk that the plinko-Hood wasn't pretty sweet. Sure, it didn't really peak - but that one was an original.

P.S. -

Phans for the return of Pigtail.

I took a piss during that Heavy Things because it's Heavy Things and I remember returning from the bathroom and landing squarely in peaksville.

I have the worst luck sometimes.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Elephunk posted:

I took a piss during that Heavy Things because it's Heavy Things and I remember returning from the bathroom and landing squarely in peaksville.

I have the worst luck sometimes.

I would've done the same thing, probably. 90%+ of the time Heavy Things is pretty rote but this time Trey just found his mojo and really peaked it. That kind of articulate playing is what I'm looking for from him all the time. Unfortunately, he's mailing it in more often than not, IMO.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GOOCHY posted:

Blossom '11 is still one of the best Phish shows I've seen regardless of era, though.

that was my first Phish show. :cheers:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

that was my first Phish show. :cheers:

One hell of a way to start out your Phishin' career - especially if you knew all the material.

Back when I started seeing them in '97 my first couple of shows I was all :confused: for most of it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My first Phish show was at the New Haven Colloseum on December 2, 1995. They played one of the best Tweezers I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZ_cwMSmP4

At that point in my life I was a goody-two-shoes junior in high school who loved studio Phish but didn't really have access to any live recordings. I had a great time at the show but didn't really meet anyone or feel like I fit in since I still had it ingrained in me that Drugs Are Bad. I still remember that I heard Possum for the first time and thought it was amazing - little did I know they'd proceed to play it every other show I went to years down the road.

I didn't actually get to my second show until 2009 at Fenway Park - a 14 year gap between shows! At that point I had been listening almost exclusively to live Phish shows for a few years and was a total Phish encyclopedia at that point :) Unlike my first show, I completely felt like I fit in, and I've been catching as many shows as I feasibly could ever since.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Murmur Twin posted:

My first Phish show was at the New Haven Colloseum on December 2, 1995. They played one of the best Tweezers I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZ_cwMSmP4

At that point in my life I was a goody-two-shoes junior in high school who loved studio Phish but didn't really have access to any live recordings. I had a great time at the show but didn't really meet anyone or feel like I fit in since I still had it ingrained in me that Drugs Are Bad. I still remember that I heard Possum for the first time and thought it was amazing - little did I know they'd proceed to play it every other show I went to years down the road.

I didn't actually get to my second show until 2009 at Fenway Park - a 14 year gap between shows! At that point I had been listening almost exclusively to live Phish shows for a few years and was a total Phish encyclopedia at that point :) Unlike my first show, I completely felt like I fit in, and I've been catching as many shows as I feasibly could ever since.

This story is very similar to mine. My first Phish show was in 1994. At the time I had only heard the studio albums so I was really surprised when a bunch of fans started singing along to songs that weren't on the CDs I had been listening to incessantly for the previous two years. I was blown away and endeavered to hear as much that I had missed out on as possible. I saw them again a year later, after having traded some tapes and heard some live shows, but still unfamiliar with a good chunk of some of the material.

I didn't see them for almost 15 years after that. But in that time had, due to the wonders of the internet and the live phish releases, I managed to really brush up on all the stuff I missed and finally felt like a phishhead when I finally saw them again in 2010.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I will never get tired of seeing Fishman eat food :allears:

8/15/12 Long Beach Arena Long Beach, CA
8/17/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/18/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/19/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/22/12 Starlight Theatre Kansas City, MO
8/24/12 Oak Mountain Amphitheatre Birmingham, AL
8/25/12 Aarons Amphitheatre at Lakewood Atlanta, GA
8/26/12 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Charlotte, NC
8/28/12 Chaifetz Arena St. Louis, MO
8/29/12 Zoo Amphitheatre Oklahoma City, OK
8/31/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO
9/1/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO
9/2/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO

I put in a request for a Charlotte ticket, very happy that's on a Sunday so I don't have to miss classes. As always, tickets can be requested here.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

boooo no northwest show again. now I have to convince the boyfriend to take a week off in august to drive down to CA.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Riosan posted:

I put in a request for a Charlotte ticket, very happy that's on a Sunday so I don't have to miss classes. As always, tickets can be requested here.

No Gorge shows... :qq: The San Fran shows aren't outside the realm of possibilities, but I'll have to do some serious thought about it.

e: Fairly small venue too, looks like only about 7000 seats. The Greek Theatre by comparison is something like 5700.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2012

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

I really hope Fish is actually that ripped.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Riosan posted:

oh gently caress YES St. Louis, loving awesome. I might try to sell my tickets to Indy now and save myself the 10 hours of driving.... or I might just go to both shows.

bon ape tit
Aug 7, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

Hood is one of those songs, along with Split Open and Melt and Piper, that just honestly haven't worked for me very much in 3.0. The 12/28/10 one was really different from other Hoods, but the Plinko (specifically Mike's bassline) was new enough to me that I was able to take enjoyment from it.

Agreed with the melt and I'm afraid I might throw Bowie in that conversation as well, but the couple of pipers I have seen in 3.0, well I have to disagree. Especially after NYE, which the piper was the undisputed highlight of the entire run, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4crxd23oEU

bon ape tit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 11, 2012

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

I'm really hoping for a Harpua at 6/29, but my Phish going partner was reluctant to go in the first place and I'm worried that a long, weird narration by Trey (and then a short input by Mike and Page) about a dog and a cat, named Poster Nutbag, might send them over the edge to never going again and that would be sad.

NYE at MSG a couple years ago was bad enough for her because it was near impossible to breathe and we ended up leaving towards the end of the second set. The promise of an amphitheater, lawn seats and unlimited beer (in the lot) was enough to convince her to go again.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
No San Francisco tickets. :saddowns:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

got my STL tickets.

anyone want Indy tickets?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Got my Charlotte ticket. :haw:

Now all I need to do is convince strangers on the Internet to give me a ride. :saddowns:

DuPe
Jul 12, 2006

Do Your Ears Hang Low...
Got my tickets for both nights in VA beach! I am going to have to sell my bonnaroo ticket when I get it, PM if intersted, not trying to make money just what I paid.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

There was an Alpine re-release today for section 203 EE-GG for both nights. I had slept on getting those tickets or reserving hotels because I wasn't sure if I had it in me this summer.

Nevermind that...

203 EE both nights, phanners. Also, 103 at Chaifetz. See you there.

Just when I think I'm out...

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Is anyone interested in a 3 day Bader Field pass, with parking passes? Asking $200.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Is anyone interested in trading Indy 6/29 (Friday) tickets for Cincy tickets? I ask because it turns out I'll be moving to the 'Nati then. Face price for face price.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.
I've got my tickets for the three Saratoga Spring shows! :dance: I drove with my brother and a friend from Portland, ME to Superball IX and that was the best time of my life, so I am really excited. My friend won the tickets in a lottery so we have an extra ticket for all three shows at Saratoga (which is July 6th-9th, Fri-Sun) if anyone is interested.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Live Bait Volume 7 came out yesterday for free! Go pick it up.

1. Wilson > Buried Alive > Tweezer (12/28/95 Worcester Centrum Centre - Worcester, MA)
2. Stash (10/31/10 Boardwalk Hall – Atlantic City, NJ)
3. Split Open And Melt (12/4/99 Firstar Center – Cincinnati, OH)
4. You Enjoy Myself (7/31/92 Blossom Music Center – Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
5. Runaway Jim (8/11/98 Star Lake Amphitheatre – Burgettstown, PA)
6. Reba (8/10/96 Alpine Valley Music Theatre – East Troy, WI)
7. Gumbo (8/3/98 Deer Creek Music Center – Noblesville, IN)
8. All Things Reconsidered, David Bowie (7/27/92 Saratoga Performing Arts Center – Saratoga Springs, NY)

Page is fantastic during Buried Alive, and the Stash is super happy. That Melt is incredible, coming from someone who really doesn't care for Melt.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?

First Tube posted:

I've got my tickets for the three Saratoga Spring shows! :dance: I drove with my brother and a friend from Portland, ME to Superball IX and that was the best time of my life, so I am really excited. My friend won the tickets in a lottery so we have an extra ticket for all three shows at Saratoga (which is July 6th-9th, Fri-Sun) if anyone is interested.

Dude I am totally interested. Please e-mail me, zbarnum at gmail dot com. My birthday is on the 7th, and SPAC is the closest big arena to my hometown in Southern VT, so it's going to be a nice going home birthday bash. Missed out on the first round of tickets, and the re-release. Send me an e-mail, please!

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Riosan posted:

Live Bait Volume 7 came out yesterday for free! Go pick it up.

1. Wilson > Buried Alive > Tweezer (12/28/95 Worcester Centrum Centre - Worcester, MA)
2. Stash (10/31/10 Boardwalk Hall – Atlantic City, NJ)
3. Split Open And Melt (12/4/99 Firstar Center – Cincinnati, OH)
4. You Enjoy Myself (7/31/92 Blossom Music Center – Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
5. Runaway Jim (8/11/98 Star Lake Amphitheatre – Burgettstown, PA)
6. Reba (8/10/96 Alpine Valley Music Theatre – East Troy, WI)
7. Gumbo (8/3/98 Deer Creek Music Center – Noblesville, IN)
8. All Things Reconsidered, David Bowie (7/27/92 Saratoga Performing Arts Center – Saratoga Springs, NY)

Page is fantastic during Buried Alive, and the Stash is super happy. That Melt is incredible, coming from someone who really doesn't care for Melt.

Thanks for posting this. Haven't listened to this yet, but the track listing and the mention of Page being fantastic, which, honestly, he always is, sold me right away. Sad to say but I'm not the biggest fan of Bowie but will give each one a shot. Hopefully I can get into this one.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Thanks for posting this. Haven't listened to this yet, but the track listing and the mention of Page being fantastic, which, honestly, he always is, sold me right away. Sad to say but I'm not the biggest fan of Bowie but will give each one a shot. Hopefully I can get into this one.

You can just put SOAMelt on loop and forget about the other six

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Anyone going to the Worcester tour opening shows? I may or may not being able to afford tickets, but it'd be pretty sweet to catch the tour openers.

I got to see all three nights in Denver last year, and that was some seriously nasty groovage.

Outside of that, can anyone recommend a good source for streaming Phish shows other than Nugs.net? I'm getting a bit tired of the recordings I already own.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Anyone going to the Worcester tour opening shows? I may or may not being able to afford tickets, but it'd be pretty sweet to catch the tour openers.

I got to see all three nights in Denver last year, and that was some seriously nasty groovage.

Outside of that, can anyone recommend a good source for streaming Phish shows other than Nugs.net? I'm getting a bit tired of the recordings I already own.

head over to "mr miners phish thoughts", he has really good selectioins all available in both streaming and downloadable format. he tends to write creative fiction based on phish songs and experiences so you might not want to read too many reviews, it'll make your eyes roll in the back of your head

but he's great at picking out tapes - all audience recordings, he just posted the riverport Gin which if you've never heard is a great place to start

of course theres also this https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p8WKkpP-TKpO1VnQgcff6EQ&gid=7

edit: definitely in for both nights of woosta )

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

CalvinDooglas posted:

phishows.com

Stream, or download, most every show, either individually or all together. All audience recordings, except for the very early 80's soundboards.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Elephunk posted:

You can just put SOAMelt on loop and forget about the other six

That Melt is a very, very nice Melt. That one is definitely the highlight of this Live Bait release.

Starting to get that anticipatory feeling in my gut. It must be Phish tour time.

Edit -

http://www.phishows.com and The Spreadsheet(tm) are all you need.

weedisgood
Dec 28, 2008
So the shows at DCU start tomorrow! Any of you guys going to the opener? I have to wait until deer creek, but i was wondering what you guys think they will open with? Maybe a Harpua? That would be sick!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hoping for a Harpua means you won't get a Harpua. If we get one this year we'll see it during Atlantic City most likely.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

weedisgood posted:

So the shows at DCU start tomorrow! Any of you guys going to the opener? I have to wait until deer creek, but i was wondering what you guys think they will open with? Maybe a Harpua? That would be sick!

I'll be there on the floor! Psyched.

Also! They are re-releasing floor tickets for both DCU Worcester shows right now. Get them before they go.

weedisgood
Dec 28, 2008

thebigpicture posted:

I'll be there on the floor! Psyched.

Also! They are re-releasing floor tickets for both DCU Worcester shows right now. Get them before they go.

That's awesome dude, hopefully you'll be one of the "dudes in the front row".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm going straight to DCU after work, I've had a really stressful week and this can't come fast enough. Set 1 tonight will have Chalk Dust, Moma Dance, Wolfmans - calling it!

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

weedisgood posted:

That's awesome dude, hopefully you'll be one of the "dudes in the front row".

No thanks, I want my space to dance. I was about 5 rows back for night 2 at Philly Centrum Center 2009 - and they had those stupid seats tied together. I'm probably not going to get to Worcester until 6:30, friend has to work. And people are already lined up outside the DCU Center

weedisgood
Dec 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm going straight to DCU after work, I've had a really stressful week and this can't come fast enough. Set 1 tonight will have Chalk Dust, Moma Dance, Wolfmans - calling it!

I couldn't imagine working the same day as a phish show. I think the whole night is going to be crazy first show of the tour indoors!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

weedisgood posted:

I couldn't imagine working the same day as a phish show. I think the whole night is going to be crazy first show of the tour indoors!

In my mind, I'm already at DCU :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

weedisgood posted:

but i was wondering what you guys think they will open with? Maybe a Harpua? That would be sick!

Alaska > Velvet Sea opener. :buddy: I'm hoping for a nice long Runaway Jim.

HKR posted:

Hoping for a Harpua means you won't get a Harpua.

And also this. Same for Icculus.

• Locked thread