Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hi, I'm looking for music that's similar to Girl Talk, Milkman, and Ludachrist. So far, I like Milkman the best out of those three whereas Girl Talk and Ludachrist (who has long single tracks) tend to be hit with some misses.

Also if anyone happens to know where I can find or has a foobar EQ setting for hip-hop music or which EQ I should use that applies best to the music mentioned above. I haven't been able to find a hip-hop specific EQ setting through google, surprisingly.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
This is a long sort of recommendation request, but here goes...

I used to host a local trivia competition at a bar in Indianapolis, and I'm filling in for a friend who is leaving town next Thursday. I told him not to worry about making a soundtrack or anything and that I'd take care of it. The format of the game is that I read 4 questions per round (5 rounds) and play a song after each question, giving them the length of the song to turn in an answer.

I've got an idea that I'll do 5 different genres, one for each round. This is kind of a hickish bar, but not crazily so, so I'd like to include some genres that might not play that well with them. I'm not married to the genres I've got here, either, so go wild.

These are the genres and the songs I've come up with, and I'd like recommendations (they can be in place of mine, too, I'm not married to anything) with the consideration that the songs be playable in a crowded bar and preferably be under 4 minutes and closer to 3. The songs don't have to be popular, but at least accessible.

Rap/Hip Hop
--------
Awards Tour - Tribe Called Quest
Who Cares? - Gnarls Barkley
Ready of Not - The Fugees
I Suck - Mark Ronson
-your suggestions-

Blues
--------
Nobody Knows You... - Eric Clapton (Unplugged)
I Wish - Stevie Wonder (classic rock?)
Testify - Stevie Ray Vaughan
-your suggestions-

Pop/Eclectic
--------
All of This - Shaimus
Danger! High Voltage! - Electric Six
Bulletproof - La Roux
-your suggestions-

Country
--------
-your suggestions, I don't listen to country at all!-

Classic Rock
--------
Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
-your suggestions-

Thanks in advance! It would be cool to have a really good tracklist, I'm not that well versed in sweet music.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
I'm looking for some warm fuzzy analog sounding electronic music. Something like Boards of Canada, Richard D Jame Album Aphex Twin, or the soundtrack to the game Dustforce.

Thanks!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Help me, if I don't listen to songs similar to Stayin' Alive, I may die! I've got...

disco fever :haw:

Feel free to hunt me down and kill me

Edit: Or similar to Rasputin by Boney M.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2012

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
So I bought this album blind and absolutely loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjSF_ywnbY

I'm also a huge fan of Townes Van Zandt, Michael Hurley, John Prine, Merle Haggard, Travis, Jon-Rae Fletcher, Tallest Man on Earth, Lightnin' Hopkins, Nick Drake, Guy Clarke and so on and so forth.

Could you guys recommend some more music along these lines?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
So a friend recently told me to listen to Armin Van Buuren - In and Out of Love. It's pretty amazing and chill. Any other songs like this, either by the same guy / same type of chill music?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Sears Poncho posted:

I'm looking for some warm fuzzy analog sounding electronic music. Something like Boards of Canada, Richard D Jame Album Aphex Twin, or the soundtrack to the game Dustforce.

Thanks!

Check out Legowelt, Lee Noble, Panabrite and everything on Ghost Box and Software.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
I saw White Denim and thought they were awesome. Looking for similar stuff.

No Ticket fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 15, 2012

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
My recent new found love of the Jet Set Radio games includes the music by Hideki Naganuma, I really like the sound of it and was wondering if there's anything else like it. Thanks in advance.

SimeSublime
Aug 24, 2011
I'm looking to make a mix tape for my girlfriend, who seems to be into happy upbeat songs about death - sort of 'make the most of now because we don't have forever'. A couple of examples would be Arc of Time by Bright Eyes and Do you realise? by The Flaming Lips.

Thanks for the help.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

SimeSublime posted:

I'm looking to make a mix tape for my girlfriend, who seems to be into happy upbeat songs about death - sort of 'make the most of now because we don't have forever'. A couple of examples would be Arc of Time by Bright Eyes and Do you realise? by The Flaming Lips.

Thanks for the help.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JetGrind posted:

My recent new found love of the Jet Set Radio games includes the music by Hideki Naganuma, I really like the sound of it and was wondering if there's anything else like it. Thanks in advance.
I kind of feel like Coconut Monkeyrocket hits that spot. Also, certain cut & paste hip hop instrumentalists kinda work like Steinski, Edan, Blockhead or Mr. Scruff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SimeSublime posted:

Thanks for the help.

In addition to NMH, perhaps The Decemberists - We Both Go Down Together and Veronica Falls - Beachy Head

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm crazy about Butterfly Knife by EMA. What should I be looking at?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SimeSublime posted:

Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with the songs you mentioned or other peoples' suggestions but from your description what about "Happy Phantom" by Tori Amos?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

dolphins are gay posted:

I'm crazy about Butterfly Knife by EMA. What should I be looking at?

Gowns. Hot drat Gowns is so great.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
Does anyone know of any music like No Trend? I don't think I've heard music this angry in my life, specifically this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY79DYD2Y4o.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Drunks With Guns, Brainbombs, and Flipper are probably the most obvious namedrops

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
Stick Men With Rayguns and Black Humor both have one album each, so check those out too. Also, Public Image Ltd. should be obvious too, if youre not already aware of them. Oh and Culturcide were considered peers of theirs so those guys as well.

bad4brain
Dec 28, 2010
I'm desperately looking for a high res image of the cover for the kmfdm single split ... hope this is the right places to request it.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Can someone recommend me some minimalist/loop based stuff along the lines of Remain in Light or Bromst? If you've listened to both those albums I think you might know what I'm talking about. I know about Reich and those folks but I'm looking for stuff filtered through more of a rock/pop context. I'm pretty sure Bromst is one of the best albums of the decade.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 17, 2012

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
Can anybody recommend a recording of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier for harpsichord?

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

global tetrahedron posted:

Can someone recommend me some minimalist/loop based stuff along the lines of Remain in Light or Bromst? If you've listened to both those albums I think you might know what I'm talking about. I know about Reich and those folks but I'm looking for stuff filtered through more of a rock/pop context. I'm pretty sure Bromst is one of the best albums of the decade.

Unfortunately I haven't listened to the afore mentioned albums. However one of my favourite bands of all time are this minimalist acoustic german band based around the pianist/composer Nik Bartsch. Absolutely incredibly music with a lot of philosophical contemplation behind a lot of the music and the context in which it was created. Not really rock/pop-ey at all but if you love minimalism, it's fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5TsXihx4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx03p4iQJPk

The most interesting thing however about it is that although it has a lot of Jazz influences, and even borrows the instrumentation, it's entirely through composed with next to no improvisation.

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I really like southern rap with a shitload of bass and a funky rear end beat like UGK, Ludacris, Young Jeezy, ASAP Rocky (yes I know he's from Harlem), some Three 6 Mafia stuff, Gorilla Zoe etc. Obviously lyrical quality isn't a huge factor for me but it is somewhat important. Basically just recommend me any hip-hop/rap that has a good beat and will make my rear-view mirror vibrate rapidly and I will love you forever.

Sleepy Beef fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 19, 2012

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I'd like a recommendation for a web radio station that plays nothing but relaxing music. I need to listen to relaxing music for 1-3 hours a day for basically forever with a filter I have on foobar2000 that creates a notch in the music to help treat my tinnitus.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 20, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Benjamin Black posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a web radio station that plays nothing but relaxing music. I need to listen to relaxing music for 1-3 hours a day for basically forever with a filter I have on foobar2000 that creates a notch in the music to help treat my tinnitus.

Drone Zone

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Sleepy Beef posted:

I really like southern rap with a shitload of bass and a funky rear end beat like UGK, Ludacris, Young Jeezy, ASAP Rocky (yes I know he's from Harlem), some Three 6 Mafia stuff, Gorilla Zoe etc. Obviously lyrical quality isn't a huge factor for me but it is somewhat important. Basically just recommend me any hip-hop/rap that has a good beat and will make my rear-view mirror vibrate rapidly and I will love you forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulzg9ux_Yh4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBmbzB6ljw0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuSQpiWtdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxudhvvZgIA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYcL4jsPSc

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Drone Zone

Jeez, a little too atmospheric. Some of this stuff is barely music. Any other suggestions?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm looking for turntablism albums similar to d-styles' "phantazmagorea" - something dark and brooding, but still with hard, heavy beats. Thanks!

Trying again.

Sleepy Beef
Oct 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

This is all amazing, thank you :)

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I stopped listening to metal for a while, but recently got interested in bands like Baroness, Mastodon, Graveyard, and Kvelertak.
So I guess I'm looking for recent (2000s) releases that are similar to one of those.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Benjamin Black posted:

Jeez, a little too atmospheric. Some of this stuff is barely music. Any other suggestions?

Groove Salad?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Sears Poncho posted:

Thanks!

Edit: n/m just reread your post, misunderstood.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 21, 2012

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

eithedog posted:

Groove Salad?

Very close to what I want! My only complaint (and it's a big complaint) is that the tunes on here are very repetitive. Sometimes it feels like the same 3 seconds of music are looped ten times before the rhythm changes and it drives me nuts!

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 22, 2012

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Acid Mothers Temple?

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010
So my music finding ability sucks rear end and I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. Here is a few tracks of the type of stuff I'm looking for...

Spiral Never More - Yoshinori Sunahara
Balance - Yoshinori Sunahara
Multiplication of the Arcs - Darshan Ambient (I loving love this track.)
Submarines - Audio Lotion

I love this kind of stuff, it helps calm me down, and makes it easier for me to think when I am working on something. Can someone help me find lots more of this?

EDIT: Now with more kick rear end clickable links!

STrooperTK421 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2012

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Acid Mothers Temple?

This list is pretty good: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Utopus/a_young_persons_guide_to_acid_mothers_temple/

Honestly, I don't think any of their albums come close to their live shows.

They have about 5000 albums under 100 different names but basically they are all Makoto Kawabata + other people. Lots of the older Melting Paraiso albums are pretty badly produced and can be tough to listen to. I think the heavier Cosmic Inferno albums are more interesting.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ATTN MUSIC GENIUSES

I would love to hear some emo, but a very specific kind of emo: 90s emo. It's a really certain kind of thing. Specifically, the type of music that informed the sound of this D&D referencing emo track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSlmpDQIH8

The more recommendations the better!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the black husserl posted:

ATTN MUSIC GENIUSES

I would love to hear some emo, but a very specific kind of emo: 90s emo. It's a really certain kind of thing. Specifically, the type of music that informed the sound of this D&D referencing emo track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSlmpDQIH8

The more recommendations the better!

I dunno like Blink or Good Charlotte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I dunno like Blink or Good Charlotte?

Youve never listened to music