Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Samurai Sanders posted:

How on earth does this game let you fast travel INSTANTLY, without even a split second of loading time? I have never seen anything like it.
Hey, now, there is a little load time unless you're emulating. But the main reason is the game is very economical about what it draws. Enemies and NPCs aren't visible until they're really close by, and textures beyond a certain distance are really low res. It actually does this with your party members too: Load the game or jump to a new area, and only your leader is there at first, with the other two fading in as the game catches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
The game is not working...the Wii won't read the disc.

I think I'm going to cry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I didn't have a problem with that jump. I had a hell of a time with that other ice slide jump though, the one with the round ice tunnel where you had to prematurely jump in order to get on to a ledge. I spent like an hour on that loving jump.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I didn't have a problem with that jump. I had a hell of a time with that other ice slide jump though, the one with the round ice tunnel where you had to prematurely jump in order to get on to a ledge. I spent like an hour on that loving jump.
Wait, that's not the one we were talking about? :downs: I'm dumb!

Magikoopa189, I'm sure you've tried ejecting/re-inserting the disc already? My game did that at first, too. (I had the disc in the wrong way. I'm bad at video games consoles.)

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Allan Assiduity posted:

Wait, that's not the one we were talking about? :downs: I'm dumb!

Magikoopa189, I'm sure you've tried ejecting/re-inserting the disc already? My game did that at first, too. (I had the disc in the wrong way. I'm bad at video games consoles.)

I've tried reinserting it both ways about 20 times each. It worked once, told me to delete some data, and when I reloaded it, it suddenly booted me back to the Wii Menu, and it never loaded again.

I just got the game brand new, and I have reinserted it into my Wii about a combined total of 40 times, 20 on each side. I have tried wiping the BRAND NEW UNSCRATCHED disc, and it still will not work. I have blown into every hole on the Wii, twice, and it still won't work. I unplugged everything, and replugged it twice, and it still didn't work.

I waited all this time, and this happened. I'm about to break down. Oh god...:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 14, 2012

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I was talking about that jump, sorry.

edit: ^^^you might want to try using a Wii lens cleaning kit, I've heard success stories about that in similar cases to yours, haven't had the problem myself though.

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 14, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Only just getting to the first dungeon after like 2 hours. Is there a way to actively track sidequests? Like putting a marker up if applicable, or is it just reading the quest text and going off that?

And man, there are a lot. I stopped taking them just because otherwise I felt my OCD would go haywire trying to do them all before moving on. Think I should've done a few more, though. I was a wee bit underleveled on my way to the cave. Also learned that names equate to Elites in WoW. Unless you know you can beat them, stay the gently caress away. I just wanted the blue shiny you're guarding, you stingy bitches, go away! :mad:

It's fun! It's fun and the music is lovely. I dunno why people are comparing the combat to FF12, though. It feels more like a Tales game to me. Everyone running around, barely able to tell what the Christ is happening at any given time, people screaming attack names constantly. The party, they will not shut up. If I have any real complaint, it's that. Like, stop speaking nonstop! At one point I fought about four things in a row... not on purpose, my attacks were just tagging them, I guess. And man, between enemies moving, stuff on screen popping, getting a combo attack tutorial that I understood gently caress all on, and everyone chattering constantly, I barely knew what was happening.

Don't get the combo thing on iota. It said if you all use the same color attack, they get stronger or something like that. But you can't switch dudes in combat, or at least I haven't figured out how. That seems clunky and dumb anyway. So how the hell are you supposed to coordinate that? Do they just follow your lead or something?

Game definitely has some wonky things, and some aren't explained very well, but I'm still really enjoying it anyway. Though it did make me feel incredibly stupid at one point, because I forgot there was a jump button. I kept looking for a non-blocked route behind a row of houses for a quest item when I remembered oh yeah, my guy isn't glued to the earth like most RPG heroes are.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

ChibiSoma posted:

Don't get the combo thing on iota. It said if you all use the same color attack, they get stronger or something like that. But you can't switch dudes in combat, or at least I haven't figured out how. That seems clunky and dumb anyway. So how the hell are you supposed to coordinate that? Do they just follow your lead or something?

When you do a chain attack (Press up on the directional button when your characters say something like "IT'S TIME FOR A CHAIN ATTACK!" or when the Party Gauge is full) you get to choose what attacks your party does. If you do, for example, all red attacks with them, it'll do extra damage, but it's also a good way to topple/daze enemies.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
A few thoughts as I'm about 2 hours in:

First thing that struck me is the graphics. IGN kinda shrugged their shoulders and said this is the best the Wii can do, but that's not true at all. Mario Galaxy looks 10 times better than this game. The art direction is excellent, but technically it's a mess. And those text bubbles are awful looking.

There's a lot of gameplay elements going on here. You've got your regular character stats like strength, defense, agility, etc., and there's also the standard equipment system. Then you've got the arts (is there one type of these or two?) that can be leveled up, you've got skill trees, and you've got the gems, which seem to be like materia from FF7. It's like they took 3 games worth of features and crammed them all into one.

The combat system is a little chaotic, at least at first. There's so much going on that its hard to keep track of everything. When you're fighting multiple enemies it's just a clusterfuck of party members and monsters going every which way and it's difficult to tell who you're targeting. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, but for now I'm not loving it. And I don't really understand the whole break/topple/daze thing yet. And the one time I tried to lure an enemy it didn't work at all.

Story is pretty good though. I'm liking the setting, and the characters are alright too. The voice acting is above average for a game, but still kinda bad. But I do enjoy that they kept the British voices. Reminds me of Fable.

One last thing, is anyone else still getting subtitles in certain cutscenes even with them turned off? Not every one, but probably about half the time. I find them distracting.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

At the top-left of the screen is the Party Gauge that fills up as your party scores critical hits, when you press B when prompted, and when you use an art with a bonus effect (use Back Slash on an enemy's back to fill the party gauge slightly. Once it's full, you can activate a chain attack by moving your cursor to your Talent Art and pressing up/down until you highlight chain attack.

Once you activate a chain attack, time freezes and you get to choose your characters' moves one at a time. Once everyone has had a turn the chain attack will either end, or you might be prompted to press B to continue the attack. You get bonus damage for using Arts with the same color consecutively. A character's Talent Art counts as all colors, so it will always add to your bonus.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but you should use chain attacks at all possible moments. Seriously, even for trash mobs. This is because killing enemies with a Chain Attack gives you a small bonus to EXP and AP, and DOUBLES SP GAINED. In addition, defeating an enemy in a chain attack fills the Party Gauge by one whole bar. This means that killing three enemies in a Chain Attack will completely refill the Party Gauge, allowing you to immediately start another Chain Attack.

In conclusion, chain attacks are awesome and you should abuse them as much as possible.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
wii won't read the disc... I tried the ghetto makeshift cleaner, I don't know what else to do :(

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

jetgrindeggy posted:

First thing that struck me is the graphics. IGN kinda shrugged their shoulders and said this is the best the Wii can do, but that's not true at all. Mario Galaxy looks 10 times better than this game. The art direction is excellent, but technically it's a mess. And those text bubbles are awful looking.
Mario Galaxy achieves it's visual fidelity by cordoning off every level into numerous tiny planets. Xenoblade doesn't have that luxury. For such a huge, open world, with the level of detail they've got here, this is pretty much the best the Wii can do.

quote:

The combat system is a little chaotic, at least at first. There's so much going on that its hard to keep track of everything. When you're fighting multiple enemies it's just a clusterfuck of party members and monsters going every which way and it's difficult to tell who you're targeting. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, but for now I'm not loving it. And I don't really understand the whole break/topple/daze thing yet. And the one time I tried to lure an enemy it didn't work at all.
It definitely takes some getting used to, and it is really easy to get focused on taking the enemy down and not notice, for example, that your healer is dazed.

Break-Topple-Daze is pretty simple, actually. Certain arts that are coded pink will Break the target's stance. Arts that are coded Green will topple a target suffering from Break. And Arts coded yellow will inflict Daze on targets suffering topple.

quote:

One last thing, is anyone else still getting subtitles in certain cutscenes even with them turned off? Not every one, but probably about half the time. I find them distracting.
There are two 'types' of cutscenes--normal scenes with very limited animation and horrible lip-synching, and Events, which have full animation and no subtitles. For some reason, you can't turn the subtitles off in regular cutscenes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anhedonia posted:

wii won't read the disc... I tried the ghetto makeshift cleaner, I don't know what else to do :(

If your computer's good enough, fire up dolphin?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I've been playing for most of the night and have barely made any story progress because I've been meticulously clearing out side missions. The Leg so far is a really impressive area-- it reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus in the way that its geography is laid out. It manages to be extremely spacious without becoming boring.

I really should get moving with the story though, because holy crap. The scene where Mysterious Face appears may be one of the most exhilarating moments in any RPG I've ever played.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the explanation of the chain attack stuff, fellas! That oughta make things a little easier. Think I may flip over to British voices until I finish the dungeon just to get a feel for those. Glad I flipped to Japanese at the start for Norio Wakamoto chewing scenery as only he can, though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Is there anywhere I can see the Japanese cast list? I'm digging the British voices, and when I tried the Japanese for Shulk and Reyn it didn't sound like much to write home about. I want to know if there's any notable actors that I'm missing out on, or if it's just Wakamoto in that one scene.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

ChibiSoma posted:

Thanks for the explanation of the chain attack stuff, fellas! That oughta make things a little easier. Think I may flip over to British voices until I finish the dungeon just to get a feel for those. Glad I flipped to Japanese at the start for Norio Wakamoto chewing scenery as only he can, though.

The British voices are really good. I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the best-localized and best-dubbed JRPGs I've played in a long time. If you prefer Japanese, that's cool, but the British voices are honestly loving fantastic.

GoatLord posted:

Is there anywhere I can see the Japanese cast list? I'm digging the British voices, and when I tried the Japanese for Shulk and Reyn it didn't sound like much to write home about. I want to know if there's any notable actors that I'm missing out on, or if it's just Wakamoto in that one scene.

There's a list on Wikipedia, but it's probably rife with spoilers, so I've been trying not to look at it. I wouldn't recommend looking there if you haven't finished the game, either.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 14, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dumb brunette posted:

There's a list on Wikipedia, but it's probably rife with spoilers, so I've been trying not to look at it. I wouldn't recommend looking there if you haven't finished the game, either.
I was looking through the cast list, no one other than Wakamoto seems to be a biggie. Cerna's VA is Ibis Douglas in SRW, that makes me kind of happy.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Jesus christ, how is this game so good?

My only complaint is that Elite Monsters are like pulling teeth to kill (Especially that one fucker on the way up to get the ether capsules right before the Mechon attack), even if I've managed to bag a couple through sheer bloody-minded wrath.

Also, boss battles are massive clusterfucks. I hope they get better When I finally have a full three man party again, that spider was a massive pain in the rear end

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Alright, so I've beaten the "final" boss in the jungle and have my 6-person team assembled and ready to venture towards the "sea." I'm, what, 20 percent done? 25 percent, maybe? And I've logged almost 30 hours in. Jesus...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

TheLoser posted:

Alright, so I've beaten the "final" boss in the jungle and have my 6-person team assembled and ready to venture towards the "sea." I'm, what, 20 percent done? 25 percent, maybe? And I've logged almost 30 hours in. Jesus...
You should be about level 30 or so, right? You're about 30% done.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

The end boss is level 80 even though you can level up to 99 (and there are monsters higher than that even).

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Daynab posted:

The end boss is level 80 even though you can level up to 99 (and there are monsters higher than that even).

:stare:

Chaltab posted:

You should be about level 30 or so, right? You're about 30% done.

:stare::stare:

This loving game. I just started to leave Colony 9 after Fiora died and I raged in real life for a bit holy poo poo wtf and I'm already having trouble letting myself skip quests for the sake of actually going forward with the game. My completionist self wants to kill those two extra frogs but my logical self says "No, you will be here for days! The frogs are only the beginning!"

Loving it so far, but I do really wish that a) the Wii had some kind of antialiasing and b) the game had some kind of quest tracking. You'd think that should be standard for all RPG's after what WoW and others did in regards to quests, but apparently here if you forgot that one line saying where you should go when talking to the quest-giver, you're pretty much hosed. And then the day/night characters are there to cause you even more undue stress.

That said, those really are minor, and I can see why so many people have been saying "It's not perfect, but you will still really like this." The combat is confusing at first, but keeps you extremely engaged, the story's great so far, and the characters are really well done. Now, off to get some more bro-heart moments with Reyn.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
EDIT: Never mind.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, I'm getting into it now. The future looking mechanic is all well and good but I am still not clear on what I need to do to prevent any given enemy attack from happening.

edit: I wonder why they added "Chronicles" to the foreign versions? Xenoblade seems like an iconic and memorable title to me. Is there some rule in English about titles being too short?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 14, 2012

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

Been playing this over the last few days and it's quite a fun game! I'm in the mine now, and i am wondering, is there anyone else who is killing every monster on sight? Normally with JRPGs you get endless random battles, but the fact that there is a fixed amount of monsters showing up here I have the urge to beat them all down.

My party is currently level 25 26, this is alright, right? :ohdear:

Mucking About fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 14, 2012

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
26 is fine for around there. You're more in danger of being overleveled than under in this game. I was saying before I'd consider putting an exp penalty on my characters if it existed. I personally think they could have done without giving exp for achievements.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Kawalimus posted:

26 is fine for around there. You're more in danger of being overleveled than under in this game. I was saying before I'd consider putting an exp penalty on my characters if it existed. I personally think they could have done without giving exp for achievements.

If you have a homebrew capable Wii, there are Ocarina codes that allow you to reduce your EXP gain.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

evilalien posted:

If you have a homebrew capable Wii, there are Ocarina codes that allow you to reduce your EXP gain.

I have no idea what in the world language you are speaking here lol :D.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay, I'm getting into it now. The future looking mechanic is all well and good but I am still not clear on what I need to do to prevent any given enemy attack from happening.

edit: I wonder why they added "Chronicles" to the foreign versions? Xenoblade seems like an iconic and memorable title to me. Is there some rule in English about titles being too short?

You can't really "prevent" an attack from happening really. It's going to happen no matter what, but what you can do is usually soften the blow or redirect so it's not an issue. For example, if it's going to hit Shulk, have Reyn use an ability that draws aggro towards him. If the attack is going to kill Reyn, then have him use a defensive move, or cure him so that he'll withstand the attack. If it's an ether art (The attack name will be white and usually have some number behind it) cue up your Monado shield for a no-damage hit. You can also try killing the enemy before the attack hits, not the best option, but do-able sometimes depending on when you get the vision.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

Correct me if i´m wrong, but i think I prevented an attack from happening by toppling the enemy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ChibiSoma posted:

Only just getting to the first dungeon after like 2 hours. Is there a way to actively track sidequests? Like putting a marker up if applicable, or is it just reading the quest text and going off that?

Honestly I just take all the quests I see at any given point and forget about them. If it's a quest where you need to find a certain item or go to a certain place, that spot will be highlighted. If it's kill/collect X number of Y, then I don't worry about it until I've picked up my 10th buffalo foreskin and get the Quest Complete pop-up. For kill/collect quests, the questgiver will usually drop a hint as to when and where the target object or creature can be found.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I'm on the leg and have two questions.

1) Where can I turn in "A Thoughtful Idea" and "Thieving Monsters"? You actually have to talk to someone to do it, but they're not where I initially found them. In general, is there a way to put the quest marks on the map? It's annoying that they only pop when you're near them.

2)Gem crafting, wtf? I understand the idea of creating them and getting heat status, but what teams should I be using and what does the speed up button really do? In other words, how do I get the most bonuses, fill up that green bar, or whatever else.

Thanks for the help

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So is there a good way to intentionally de-power myself? I went and did all the sidequests in the first area because that unique caterpillar was giving me trouble, and then when I got to the boss it was a joke. Do I just need to spend a while advancing the plot while running past every enemy I possibly can, ignoring all these timed quests I just got, until the monsters are closer to my level?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
No there's no way to 'de-power' yourself. Just play the game and don't worry about it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I guess you could go in with extra-crappy equipment?

When you're overleveled, the enemies in an area stop attacking you, so that can help balance it out since you fight less.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Where is the ideal timing for the in-battle QTEs, on the outer edge of the blue circle or on the button to press (b) itself?

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

GoatLord posted:

So is there a good way to intentionally de-power myself? I went and did all the sidequests in the first area because that unique caterpillar was giving me trouble, and then when I got to the boss it was a joke. Do I just need to spend a while advancing the plot while running past every enemy I possibly can, ignoring all these timed quests I just got, until the monsters are closer to my level?

Just keep making your way through the main quest. If you don't do any grinding or sidequests you'll be underleveled again within a couple of areas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ledneh posted:

Where is the ideal timing for the in-battle QTEs, on the outer edge of the blue circle or on the button to press (b) itself?

Outer edge of the large circle is best, within the large circle is OK, outside the circle or within the b button is a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Ledneh posted:

Anywhere inside the circle is a success, but you are aiming for the outside edge for perfect timing. I'm not sure that perfect timing matters at all for chain attacks, but when the prompt comes up in the middle of battle, perfect timing will get you more affinity between party members.

• Locked thread