Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Idunn posted:

Has anyone claimed this yet? Also, any ideas for a good quote, anyone? I was thinking "That's it?" but it's so sad, I don't know... :smith:

'they flew away...'

Mildly less depressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wrong with a really sad, depressing caption? If anything I'd be more interested in finding out where that was from if I didn't know about GC yet.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I think my initial interest in Gunnerkrigg came when I saw an avatar with "What is the saddest thing? She died and we did nothing." Which is pretty powerful and therefore attention grabby I think.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You can't use that avatar and not have a sad quote to go with it.

"That's it?" works so well with it.

I love that profile shot. Tom continues to blow me away with his art so consistently.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
You're all right, of course, a happy quote won't work with the picture, I was just hoping something a little less depressing would come to mind. "That's it?" seems to be the best thing to go with it, though, and assuming no one else snatches it up, I'll grab this later tonight.

I can't think of any other webcomic that does both happy/funny and sad/touching moments quite as well as GKC. What a work of art :allears:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I was thinking of getting this as a new avatar, but I can't think of good text. Help!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Idunn posted:

You're all right, of course, a happy quote won't work with the picture, I was just hoping something a little less depressing would come to mind. "That's it?" seems to be the best thing to go with it, though, and assuming no one else snatches it up, I'll grab this later tonight.

I can't think of any other webcomic that does both happy/funny and sad/touching moments quite as well as GKC. What a work of art :allears:

Even if somebody were to come up with another quote I don't think it would feel quite right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would go with "That's it? That's it." for a caption.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"That's it?" also applies really well to half the things you can do with a telescope :v:

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Mince Pieface posted:

I was thinking of getting this as a new avatar, but I can't think of good text. Help!

"No, seriously, like what?"
or
"Still not following you."

Those're the only things I can think of given the image. I guess witty one-liners are not my forte.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not every avatar needs text.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I just wish the full text bubble was visible on that one, then it really wouldn't need any text. As it is it could go with or without, but IMO the bubble being cropped looks kinda weird.

Also, add me to the legion of Gunnerkrigg avatars :3:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Mince Pieface posted:

What page is that panel from?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Spaseman posted:

The one where Paz thinks Kat's hitting on her in Faraway Morning.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mince Pieface posted:

Just the "What" avatar crew. :whatup:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Or just "Wha-" if you got rid of the speech bubble somehow.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spaseman posted:

Got you covered.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

How's this?

alternate no-bubble version

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 14, 2012

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

YF-23 posted:

I know telescopes have this black circle in the middle of their lens at their ends but I can't shake the image that Annie and Donald are about to be crushed by a meteor.

I did not know that, and just assumed that Annie tragically looked away from the telescope too soon to see what was actually going on up there.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

1stGear posted:

Just the "What" avatar crew. :whatup:

:hehe::respek::hehe:

It's the best option, really.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Which one was "Robot with a clipboard" from?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

No text :whatup:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A student posted:

Which one was "Robot with a clipboard" from?
This is too vague. This robot with a clipboard?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elysiume posted:

This is too vague. This robot with a clipboard?

Damnit, now I had to read that bit, then I had to read A Bad Start, then I had to read Give and Take.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Elysiume!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Can I just say how great it is that Tom is a huge Achewood fan.

Because it's such a wonderful contrast to the technicolor fantasyland aesthetic of GKC when you get page comments like "This ain't some doctored up Estes Comanche with a D engine" and extra Tumblr art like this.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Someone needs to organize an event where webcomic creators take their characters and draw them acting out something from another webcomic. This works especially well with Achewood as Tom showed us.

At the very least, Tom needs to do a bunch more of these.

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 14, 2012

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Ironic Twist posted:

Can I just say how great it is that Tom is a huge Achewood fan.

Because it's such a wonderful contrast to the technicolor fantasyland aesthetic of GKC when you get page comments like "This ain't some doctored up Estes Comanche with a D engine" and extra Tumblr art like this.

I laugh every time I see this linked. No exceptions .

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Talorat posted:

I think my initial interest in Gunnerkrigg came when I saw an avatar with "What is the saddest thing? She died and we did nothing." Which is pretty powerful and therefore attention grabby I think.

Every time I read the phrase "she died and we did nothing" I genuinely get really sad. But in a good way, I guess? Basically what I'm saying is "holy crap, Tom, you sure did a good job writing this story." :gbsmith:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Gunnerkrigg Court very nearly makes me resent the weekend. Waiting an extra day for a new comic is terrible. There ought to be an eighth day of the week, to round everything out. We can call it Gunnerday.

gently caress your calendar I want more comic.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hmm so apparently Comixology sells digital versions of all three Gunnerkrigg books. So if anyone wants an offline copy of Gunnerkrigg it's there as an option.

Edit: FYI, the listings are a bit messed up. If you search comixology for gunnerkrigg you will get hits for vol 1 and 2. Vol 3 is buried inside the vol1 collection page.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 14, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's just not the same without Roast Beef floating up into the sky and expressing worry over whether he may be developing attractions to corpulent women.

Would you like some fritatta.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

Nice and easy to vectorise. That vector is not optimised so it has a few path elements that can be removed, but I'm at work.
Hey, if you could still mess with this do you think could you fix it up so all the corners are nice and pointy like they're supposed to be?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Some may have seen Donny's face as a sign that he cares. Some may see it as disappointment in his old friend. But was that really what he was thinking of, or something... more sinister?

http://imgur.com/ecdwI

e: Low hanging fruit edit:
http://imgur.com/m9F5H

T-man fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 15, 2012

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey, if you could still mess with this do you think could you fix it up so all the corners are nice and pointy like they're supposed to be?

Try this. Same location so you may need to clear your cache. It's not perfect (the circle in the middle is difficult to correct) but pretty close.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

T-man posted:

Some may have seen Donny's face as a sign that he cares. Some may see it as disappointment in his old friend. But was that really what he was thinking of, or something... more sinister?

http://imgur.com/ecdwI

e: Low hanging fruit edit:
http://imgur.com/m9F5H

I'm pretty sure Boxbot runs on Windows XP SP1 with a ton of bloatware and McAffe AND Norton installed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So I just finished actually binging on GC, after two or three aborted attempts over the last year or so (I think because those early chapters had a bit of a "why exactly should I care about these people?" problem). Glad at least to know that it's a regularly updated comic, I've got too many in my folder that are stuck in 'check in once a month and pray' mode.

Is there any interesting non-obvious stuff that devoted readers have picked up on but which would probably slide past a binger?

Also, who is the fourth-wall-breaking white-haired girl who announces intermissions supposed to be? At first I thought she was just an older Antimony but it doesn't really work well. Is it Tom's girlfriend or some such?

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Waffnuffly posted:

I'm pretty sure Boxbot runs on Windows XP SP1 with a ton of bloatware and McAffe AND Norton installed.
Windows ME, surely.

NihilCredo posted:

Also, who is the fourth-wall-breaking white-haired girl who announces intermissions supposed to be? At first I thought she was just an older Antimony but it doesn't really work well. Is it Tom's girlfriend or some such?
I think she's just an older character of Tom's. She's called Tea, as I recall.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Zwachro posted:

Windows ME, surely.

OS2/Warp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I'm rereading the archives, and I came across this in Spring Heeled Part 2:

BOO!

I didn't see it on the avatar megapost, so hopefully it's not redundant.

(if anyone wants to put more effort than I did - which wouldn't be hard, as I just screencapped it and resized it - it's from this page)