Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can give collectables to party members as gifts to raise the affinity between two of them. This is the quickest way, just gift spam with all your useless collectables taking up space. Never sell them.

Do this in the items menu.
:stare: There are so many systems in this game that it would probably be possible to play through the entire game without catching them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been reading the Japanese response on 2ch to the game being so well received here. Like me, they're very happy and hope that games like this can revitalize the genre. There's a whole lot of "Are you watching this, Square-Enix??"

edit: most of their opinions about Xenoblade and the state of the genre in general are so close to ours here it's nuts. People say that Japanese and non-Japanese want different things from RPGs, but in this case I'm just not seeing it.

This makes me unreasonably happy to read. Just a small hope that maybe the current atmosphere can break a few more thick skulls in Japanese game development, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

:stare: There are so many systems in this game that it would probably be possible to play through the entire game without catching them all.

It's crazy how few people know about giving gifts. I don't think the game ever tells you that you can do this at any moment. I don't remember how I found out, either someone mentioned something in the old thread or I stumbled upon it while just sifting through the items menu.

Each gift raises or lowers affinity by a certain amount for each character. Their personalities show a little bit here, it's nice. Reyn likes food and critters such as lizards and frogs, Shulk likes technology, etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Violen posted:

This makes me unreasonably happy to read. Just a small hope that maybe the current atmosphere can break a few more thick skulls in Japanese game development, I guess.
There are some thick loving skulls in charge of the FF franchise, and they kind of define the genre. As good as this is it may very well be too little, too late.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

That makes an awful lot of sense. I think I'm just terrible at this game. :( Or I'm too used to thinking inside the box with how RPGs work these days.

Nah, it's definitely the latter. Playing RPGs for nearly two decades has conditioned me to always have a dedicated healer in my party because damage races pretty much never go in your favor.

In my first playthrough I ran Sharla in my party almost the entire time. In my second playthrough I ditched her the moment I got Dunban and was amazed at how much more enjoyable and fast-paced the battles were. Sharla just has no synergy with any of the other party members, and it's not something you really notice until you try switching her out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are some thick loving skulls in charge of the FF franchise, and they kind of define the genre. As good as this is it may very well be too little, too late.

Instead of trying to appeal to Square-Enix, they should say "are you watching this??" to Nintendo. It seems like they're only barely aware of what they have in Xenoblade and Monolith.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Strange Matter posted:

This much I have figured out, and only through trial and error basically. Crystals are dropped by most enemies, and generally have a relatively low % on one or two qualities, like Strength, Muscle or Ether.

:words:

Shulk and Reyn do the crafting, and these are the results:

Strength 150%
Agility 50%
Muscle 25%

This yields 1 Strength Gem. The batch also gave up one Cylinder, so you can choose to take either the Agility 50% or the Muscle 25%.

Thanks for this. Do percentages above 100 matter at all? I'm guessing yes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ledneh posted:

Higher percentages give you better results, and if you can crank them up high enough a Gem can actually rank up, which means even more points.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Instead of trying to appeal to Square-Enix, they should say "are you watching this??" to Nintendo. It seems like they're only barely aware of what they have in Xenoblade and Monolith.
Just think about how good this game would be on the WiiU. The touchscreen would be perfect for issuing commands during combat.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 15, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ledneh posted:

Yes, they can increase the actual number on the gem a bit (I have Agility II gems which are 8, 9, and 10), and over 200 it gets bumped up a rank. If you manage to get it over 300, I think it gets bumped up a rank AND you get two of it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Higher percentage means more stat gain, and if you break 200% you get HEAT, which increases the gems rank by one. You can go further than that and get 300% for MEGA HEAT as well, which gives you two gems of a higher rank with max values for that rank.

Edit: Beaten like Dunban at a handstand contest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The implication being that a gem's rank is also determined by something besides the percentage being 200%+?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ledneh posted:

The implication being that a gem's rank is also determined by something besides the percentage being 200%+?
Rank is better determined by the rank of the materials that go into it. Large Crystals and Rank II Cylinders give Rank II Gems.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Okay so for gem crafting, here's what I figured out from the game and from just doing it. Time for an effortpost:

First thing you should notice is that every shooter-engineer combo has a minimum and maximum spread for the number of actions they will take; this is based on affinity/friendship, e.g. Shulk and Reyn should generally grant you a higher number of rounds.

If your spread is 5-10, you will have at least 5 actions and at most 10 actions-- unless you get lucky. Much like combat damage spreads, there is also the chance for a critical roll nicknamed a "Fever" which gives you several freebie actions in a row!

Next thing you should notice is your engineer's action likelihood for each round. So if the stronger flame is "average" and the weaker flame is "poor," it's more likely you will see strong flame selected as an action for any given round.

After that, look at the shooter's bonus. For example, off the top of my head, I think Reyn has the bonus to make a strong flame action more powerful if that action is selected; naturally that means you ought to pair him with an engineer who has good odds of selecting strong flame (e.g. not "poor" or "average") so you can capitalize on his bonus. Shulk has a bonus to enter "Fever" more often, earning you several free rounds.

To be "successful" at gem crafting, you need to raise at least one category of ability to 100%. If you hit 100%, you get a gem corresponding to the level of materials. That means using level I materials makes level I gems. So for your first attempts, pick some materials that give you one or two bonuses you want; the game will auto-highlight other materials that also give those bonuses.

At any time after selecting 2 materials you can try to craft; or, if you hit 100% or above in any category, it's time to craft.

Assuming you haven't put materials to get 100%, we need to worry about raising it to 100%, or catching the leftovers into cylinders so we can try again later. It's pretty easy:

Red (strong flame) gives you a high percentage boost to one category
Blue (weaker flame) gives you a small percentage boost to multiple categories
Green gives you capacity towards bottling up leftovers (cylinders)

Also if you have at least 3 party members and they have strong affinity, there's a chance for party support event which gives you another quality bonus.

At the end of crafting, anything that hit 100% or more turns into a gem. As your green bar fills up, you gain cylinders to store leftovers-- this lets you store the results of your craft that didn't hit 100% for later use. Going over 100% by a lot also makes a better version of your gem (sort using Y while fitting gems by ability; you'll notice that not all gems of a level have the same stat boost, it can vary).

Sometimes you don't want to win though:

So if we think for a moment, we might notice that this means you could end up storing cylinder leftovers worth perhaps 90%. Your first instinct might be to pair that up with a crystal that'll give you the missing 10%. Don't do this because there's more. Any time you craft and hit 200%, you get "HEAT" status listed and gain a gem one level higher (eg level I materials forming level II gems).

You could hit 100% really easily in that case I gave, but instead, try to form another cylinder worth say 80%! Then you can combine your 90% cylinder, and your 80% cylinder, and begin crafting with 170%.

From there, with Shulk as a shooter (increases Fever, high affinity with Reyn) and Reyn as the engineer (best odds of strong flame, high affinity with Shulk), we've got drat fine odds of hitting 10+ rounds of single-category percentage boosts. This means it's trivial to get the remaining 30%, and get yourself a fancy Strength II or Lightning II gem.

Also, "failure" doesn't really mean much. You jar up your leftovers into as many cylinders as you've earned, and because each cylinder only contains one category of ability, it makes the above easy. Sharla has good odds for green-cylinder-building and blue-category-boosting, so you can sometimes just throw a whole pile of random gems together and collect up refined materials even though it says "crafting failure" and your guys shrug. Sure, you didn't get a gem, but you got progress towards a an up-leveled gem.

The worst that happens is you don't have enough jars for the number of desirable ability categories.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Chronojam posted:

Sharla has good odds for green-cylinder-building and blue-category-boosting, so you can sometimes just throw a whole pile of random gems together and collect up refined materials even though it says "crafting failure" and your guys shrug. Sure, you didn't get a gem, but you got progress towards a an up-leveled gem.

The worst that happens is you don't have enough jars for the number of desirable ability categories.
Sharla is nice to use to condense your crystal supply, since that gets pretty massive real fast.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

I need to compile these quotes so that when people question the hype the game's receiving, can point out tat I'm not alone in this sentiment. Truly is a fantastic game.

Well let me know if you need any more, as I am sure I could come up with plenty.

This has turned in to a "just one more..." game for me. Last night I was told to save the brother of someone as part of the story. I decided he could wait, as I wanted to head back to Colony 9 and see what's up! I was able to turn in a few quests when I arrived. However, it seemed that whenever I turned a quest in, someone nearby would have that familiar icon appear over their head. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see what they want..." I would tell myself. Well this pattern repeated indefinitely and then it was 2 AM. :stare:

I also ended up with 100% item completion for the first three areas.

Best part was, it wasn't boring sidequesting at all. I even found a quest that I have to make a tough decision for! It is the love triangle one. I've had visions of both outcomes, and it has left me hanging, because I don't know what one is better. :(

In short, take this comic but replace Minecraft, trees, wood and sticks with Xenoblade, quests, rewards, and rear end kicking:

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Bussamove posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best RPG I've played since Persona 4. The only way it could be better is if Kanji Tatsumi parachuted onto the Bionis Head with a crate full of Topsicles and hand-sewn stuffed animals for everyone in the party.

I'm Bussamove and I approve this message.

Kanji could defeat the Mechon by telling them to Get Bent. :colbert:

I'm about 47 hours in and loving it. I just got the finial companion and I am stoked to see where the plot goes from here.

discgolferguy
Oct 5, 2011

by angerbutt
First of all, I apologize for being out of the loop on this one - I JUST discovered this thread and Xenoblade. I NEED this game. (image removed)

My quesiton is... I am shopping around online, trying to find a copy for sale - it's either backordered, sold out, or overpriced. Literally everywhere. What's the deal with that? Where did you guys pick it up?

ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just visited the second Capital City and my save game timer is getting close to three digits.

It's time to ditch the story yet again (the big bad can wait) and build up my favorite town again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I like how the game remembers what equipment you were wearing when it does flash backs. Any other game probably wouldn't bother.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

discgolferguy posted:

First of all, I apologize for being out of the loop on this one - I JUST discovered this thread and Xenoblade. I NEED this game.

My quesiton is... I am shopping around online, trying to find a copy for sale - it's either backordered, sold out, or overpriced. Literally everywhere. What's the deal with that? Where did you guys pick it up?

ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!~

You basically needed to pre-order it to get a copy. There was whole big campaign and everything! Run out to your nearest Gamestop though...the one I went to had plenty extra in stock and everyone else I've talked to who pre-ordered the game said the same thing.

Like seriously, go now if you can, there's no guarantee that any more than the initial shipment will be printed.

discgolferguy
Oct 5, 2011

by angerbutt

Pomale posted:

You basically needed to pre-order it to get a copy. There was whole big campaign and everything! Run out to your nearest Gamestop though...the one I went to had plenty extra in stock and everyone else I've talked to who pre-ordered the game said the same thing.

Like seriously, go now if you can, there's no guarantee that any more than the initial shipment will be printed.

Oh, wow.. that's good to know. Yeah, I have no idea how I missed that one. It's been so long since I played Xeno-anything. The good news is, it's stocked in all the gamestops around my area. The bad news is, they just closed at 9pm and I have to wait until tomorrow :(

That's kind of silly though, I mean it's a bestseller on gamestop - why would they only do one shipment if it's such a popular game? I'm tempted to buy a couple copies if they're only doing one run....

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

discgolferguy posted:

Oh, wow.. that's good to know. Yeah, I have no idea how I missed that one. It's been so long since I played Xeno-anything. The good news is, it's stocked in all the gamestops around my area. The bad news is, they just closed at 9pm and I have to wait until tomorrow :(

That's kind of silly though, I mean it's a bestseller on gamestop - why would they only do one shipment if it's such a popular game? I'm tempted to buy a couple copies if they're only doing one run....

Because it's probably not that popular to actual people. Us reclusive anime club weeaboos aren't a particularly good metric to base the stock of a game on.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

discgolferguy posted:

Because everyone involved in releasing it thought there was no way it would be well received. I'm not kidding.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I sorta wish the achievement list didnt just basically give away that Fiora totally isnt dead. I kind of assumed as much since they wouldnt develop a whole unique character and fighting style just to kill her in an hour, but its still sorta lame its in the list :v:

e: sorry, party spoilers I guess.

KoB fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 15, 2012

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

KoB posted:

I sorta wish the achievement list didnt just basically give away that Massive Spoiler

Oh guy that is not a very well telegraphed spoiler, just saying. It could be anything then you kinda drop the bomb.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Welp, just spoiled myself. Though aren't all unknown achievements just "???". It shouldn't show until it happens.

Edit: That said, yo add context to spoilers. I kind of assumed it for similar reasons as you but still.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 15, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sankis posted:

Welp, just spoiled myself. Though aren't all unknown achievements just "???". It shouldn't show until it happens.
Some of them are ??? but the conditions are listed. I haven't examined it very closely. I'd be more pissed if I hadn't already mostly spoiled myself on that while trying to dig up when Melia learned Summon Copy. EDIT: On a wiki, what I was looking for isn't related to the spoiler, just clicking on the wrong link.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Can someone help me out here? I'm stuck on the Arachnid Queen, and I don't seem to be able to do anything but get my rear end kicked.

I get that I'm supposed to do...something with the future sight, but I can't figure out what. I tell whoever to use guard, then I get hit and die anyway. I use that guard Manado move, but it doesn't seem to actually help and I still end up getting nickled and dimed to death by all the little spiders since I can't loving heal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can someone help me out here? I'm stuck on the Arachnid Queen, and I don't seem to be able to do anything but get my rear end kicked.

I get that I'm supposed to do...something with the future sight, but I can't figure out what. I tell whoever to use guard, then I get hit and die anyway. I use that guard Manado move, but it doesn't seem to actually help and I still end up getting nickled and dimed to death by all the little spiders since I can't loving heal.
Monado Shield protects against the "OH NO A THING" future vision timer thing at the top, when the skill used is white. Otherwise, uh... Gear Shulk for more damage and murder it faster? Also he has a healing skill he starts with.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are quests automatically completed without having to go back to the questgiver?

Also, I assume I shouldn't ever sell collectibles?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cbouncerrun posted:

Yes and Yes.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
How is the story in this game? That has always been my number one thing.
My favourite JRPGs are probably Xenogears, FF9, and Chrono Trigger (in that order), with some others right behind those. I played and beat almost all the other JRPGs worth playing, even modern ones like FF13 and Lost Odyssey.

I hated the story in 13, waited until the end for anything to happen in the plot. I loved Lost Odyssey although it got way too grindy towards the end.

Anyway without going into much more detail, its the story and the world that draws me in, not so much the gameplay. I really enjoyed playing 13 but oh my god the story and characters were god awful.

Can anyone give me an honest jrpg veteran's opinion on what to expect from the plot without spoiling much? Use analogies or references from other games if you have to. After FF13 I decided I'm done with these things for good so please goons, change my mind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cbouncerrun posted:

Not all quests. Ones from people with names that are more involved than "Kill 5 things" or "Collect 4 bear asses" tend to involve them wanting to talk to you afterwards.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Evil Mastermind posted:

If the Spider uses Red arts, you need to use Monado Speed.

As for the mobs, the best thing to do is use things like Monado Buster and Airslash to damage multiple targets at once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Firaga posted:

How is the story in this game? That has always been my number one thing.
My favourite JRPGs are probably Xenogears, FF9, and Chrono Trigger (in that order), with some others right behind those. I played and beat almost all the other JRPGs worth playing, even modern ones like FF13 and Lost Odyssey.

I hated the story in 13, waited until the end for anything to happen in the plot. I loved Lost Odyssey although it got way too grindy towards the end.

Anyway without going into much more detail, its the story and the world that draws me in, not so much the gameplay. I really enjoyed playing 13 but oh my god the story and characters were god awful.

Can anyone give me an honest jrpg veteran's opinion on what to expect from the plot without spoiling much? Use analogies or references from other games if you have to. After FF13 I decided I'm done with these things for good so please goons, change my mind.
I'm about 12 hours in and it still seems to be your standard JRPG deal to me, just better executed than most. I couldn't compare it to any specific JRPG because it's like...all of them. The original part is not the story but the setting, and even that harkens back to Tales of Legendia and Resonance of Fate for me.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Chaltab posted:

Ah, that's what you do for red arts? I've been getting a lot of those lately and I knew Monado Shield wouldn't work on them, so I was a bit at a loss. I just started having Reyn taunt when I saw it come up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It just occurred to me that you can warn ANYONE about future doom in battle, not just the intended victim. So Shulk can go 'hey Sharla that shield on Reyn would be really great like right now'

That is so awesome

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just cleared the mines and holy poo poo this game is a rollercoaster. The tension just kept building and building in that section. The writing and voice for the boss were pitch perfect, I wanted him DEAD for taunting me in his amazing accent. I really like that the big boss fights aren't just damage races, having to think and use your Arts is really fun.

I'm also totally stealing the Monado idea for a D&D character. Radiant damage, prescience, buffing? Sounds pretty fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chaltab posted:

As for the mobs, the best thing to do is use things like Monado Buster and Airslash to damage multiple targets at once.
Don't you not have it yet by that point? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Zereth posted:

Don't you not have it yet by that point? :confused:
Unless we're thinking of two different Spider queens, I thought you got it during that fight.

Edit: Huh, wow, never mind. I'm completely wrong.

In my defense, it's been well over six months since I played that segment of the game.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 15, 2012

• Locked thread