Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I was really overthinking it with my experience in late nineties genre of Ancient Psuedoscience games that always had Mayans using crystals to power steam engines or some junk. Since the symbols on the obelisks by Jane's House had Life and Heart, I was sure that you needed to point the blue and orange ones at those respectively and ran back and forth getting frustrated at the angle about ten times before I realized I needed to be looking somewhere completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Daius posted:

Adventure games in my day... :corsair:
Sparing crate pushing, people have pretty bad adventure game logic these days. This update is one of the few point&clicks that didn't make me feel borderline retarded :downs:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Walliard posted:

Equius entered first; that was just non-linear storytelling as usual. Point is, it doesn't matter who connects to whom since Skaia will place you where it drat well pleases.

Actually, not quite:

Aradia enters here as a sprite, then prototypes two pages later.

When she brings Equius into the game here (check the pesterlog for confirmation), she's already a sprite. Equius has a short conversation and jumps to her world immediately after.

You can also check the entry-timeline on this page, where it looks like Equius enters very shortly after Aradia.

Although if anything this just reinforces your point- the actual time of individual entry doesn't matter as long as the chain is completed.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Mazerunner posted:

Actually, not quite:

Aradia enters here as a sprite, then prototypes two pages later.

When she brings Equius into the game here (check the pesterlog for confirmation), she's already a sprite. Equius has a short conversation and jumps to her world immediately after.

You can also check the entry-timeline on this page, where it looks like Equius enters very shortly after Aradia.

I always figured she prototyped while Vriska was running up all those stairs (she had a lot of stairs). Also:

quote:

Meanwhile, your client player has been exploring another world. The blue blood has a present for you.

Facilitating this delivery was one of the reasons why it was important for you to enter second.

You're right about the timeline page, though - Equius is a couple pixels higher. I'm just going to chalk it up to Andrew being less than perfect at keeping track of his own story, which is understandable.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The Empty Planet

A song about all the dried-out, million-year-old mausoleums in the Land of Crypts and Helium.

And since I didn't get to post the last few songs I made in this thread, here they are:
Bell's Theme (Goonstuck)
Finale Strife
Rainbows and Starlight

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I just feel like I need to say it... Does anyone else feel like at about 3:10 in Rain, there's a sound that sounds like someone chewing on a pen and breathing heavily or something like that? It's always grossed me out and kinda ruined Medium as a soundtrack to me... :\ It only lasts like 10 or 20 seconds and I guess I'm just sensitive about it. Especially since the other 6 minutes of that song are so great :|

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

creationist believer posted:

I just feel like I need to say it... Does anyone else feel like at about 3:10 in Rain, there's a sound that sounds like someone chewing on a pen and breathing heavily or something like that? It's always grossed me out and kinda ruined Medium as a soundtrack to me... :\ It only lasts like 10 or 20 seconds and I guess I'm just sensitive about it. Especially since the other 6 minutes of that song are so great :|

That bit has always creeped me out.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know about any pen-chewing, but the opening of Rain matches pretty much perfectly with this.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

This is a longshot, but does anyone know if there's a collection of all of the Homestuck pages in zip form or something that can be saved and viewed offline?

Me and the boyfriend will be on a 6 hour flight later this month, so that would be a great time for him to catch up from where he left off in Act 5.1, except for the problem of lacking internet on planes.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

I think it's suppose to be an attempt at some type of water sound (either rushing water or stepping through wet mud) but yes it just ends up sounding like that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Giant Boy Detective posted:

This is a longshot, but does anyone know if there's a collection of all of the Homestuck pages in zip form or something that can be saved and viewed offline?

Me and the boyfriend will be on a 6 hour flight later this month, so that would be a great time for him to catch up from where he left off in Act 5.1, except for the problem of lacking internet on planes.

Not that I know of, and not legally anyway. Andrew doesn't want to have an archive that circumvents the website.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

That bit has always creeped me out.

An expert agrees with me; that's all the validation I need. Maybe Plazmataz set his microphone on 'way too personal' for a few seconds, that's all.

jvempire posted:

I think it's suppose to be an attempt at some type of water sound (either rushing water or stepping through wet mud) but yes it just ends up sounding like that.

Yeah, it's always just kind of stuck with me as a "gross and wet" instead of "cool/atmospheric and wet" like the rest of the song, that it makes the short 15 seconds sound so unusual.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I've always liked the idea of having Homestuck on a DVD or something in a kind of Visual-Novel style format, with the text/images and such appearing in the kids browsers, links taking you to false pop-up windows and suchlike, I think it'd be one of the better ways of preserving the story offline. But I'm not gonna do it, even disregarding legal concerns, due to a total lack of any relevant skill.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Everybody... What if... Passion4NickChinlund took his or her youtubes off the internet? :ohdear:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Everybody... What if... Passion4NickChinlund took his or her youtubes off the internet? :ohdear:

You'd get a mob of Homestuck fans advancing on Castle YouTube in Googlestan, acting out of kneejerk anger.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Isn't Passion4NuckChinlund Hussie?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Yeeah, I mean now that I'm looking at it a day after the fact, it's hardly comparable to even the kind of crap you'd find in LucasArts games. (I'm looking at you, Curse of Monkey Island quicksand puzzle :argh:)

I'll be honest though; I just put the cake down because I figured it was the last thing Jane needed in her inventory, not because I knew the scarabs would eat it. You can tell I'm really good at this kind of thing :downs:

Better than me, I put the cake down first, then when I noticed there was a little message for picking it back up again did that for everything else in my inventory and then forgot and didn't know what to put there again :downs:.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

RickoniX posted:

Isn't Passion4NuckChinlund Hussie?

I don't know, maybe. Except that account was created 3 years before Homestuck. This poo poo goes deeper than you think. I don't think we can trust victrolaman and Eddie Morton now...

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
I suppose Hussie could always pull a Íæûë€Å if that were to happen.

Or just buy the account.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If you guys still want answers about the "chewing" sound in "Rain", Plazmataz just explained it on his Tumblr. Well, most of it.

quote:

It’s certainly not chewing though. The words are whispered faintly, but they are indeed words. Very specific ones. It’s not English. No one that I know of has quite put their finger on what it is I was reciting yet, but I know that eventually someone will realize. Until then I think I am going to keep mum about that!

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Grapplejack posted:

Go for it! Anyone can take the avatars I post in the thread. :)
Thank you, and

MrBims posted:

[color="#a10000"]the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with[/color]
Thank you!

Feels good to finally have a face.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

It still just sounds like gross chewing, sorry. :(

Its like a clip from a pet food commercial where the dog is all slurping and his jowels are flapping. I was on voice chat at the time I was playing through the Flash, and I actually started yelling into my mic at my friend to stop eating and being a gross rear end in a top hat into his mic, much to his bewilderment last night. I didn't realize it was the song until I replayed the flash later.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always knew it was whispering. I still can't quite tell what's being said though :(

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

By the way, if anyone is interested (since it came up before) you can play the old Bionicle flash game here!

http://templarstudios.tumblr.com/post/6254371419/storyboards-from-mnolg-2001 The creators of the game have a tumblr with some concept art for it, too. I loved the game enough that as a kid I purchased and completed the god-awful GBA Bionicle game that was a prequel to it.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Norton Ghostride posted:

It still just sounds like gross chewing, sorry. :(

Its like a clip from a pet food commercial where the dog is all slurping and his jowels are flapping. I was on voice chat at the time I was playing through the Flash, and I actually started yelling into my mic at my friend to stop eating and being a gross rear end in a top hat into his mic, much to his bewilderment last night. I didn't realize it was the song until I replayed the flash later.

It doesn't sound like chewing, but no matter what the musician thought, I don't find the sound of saliva smacking at all appealing. The saliva is louder than the whispering by far, making it slightly grating.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Eh, the weird sound in Rain never put me on edge--I don't tend to have my music up as loud as most though, so that could be a factor. I wonder if he was going for something more along the lines of the virtual barbershop thing that was making the internet rounds a while back and somewhat missed the mark. Seems like he meant for it to freak people out though, so mission accomplished I guess v:v:v

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

nerdbot posted:

By the way, if anyone is interested (since it came up before) you can play the old Bionicle flash game here!

http://templarstudios.tumblr.com/post/6254371419/storyboards-from-mnolg-2001 The creators of the game have a tumblr with some concept art for it, too. I loved the game enough that as a kid I purchased and completed the god-awful GBA Bionicle game that was a prequel to it.

I never actually beat that game when I was a kid, I just watched the cutscenes over and over again.

This morning I finally played through and beat the whole game. Elementary-school-me would be proud.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

Thank you, and

Thank you!

Feels good to finally have a face.

Lookin' good! :cool:

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

I found something like this a few months back, during the EOA5 hiatus. It was an offline archive with everything up to Cascade. So basically the entire site with all its subpages downloaded as .html files in some way. I can't find that zip now though, so I guess the user who originally uploaded it took it down for some reason.

I'm not sure if there is any legal issues regarding an archive like that, though, but perhaps some poster in here has a clue?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I've been curious about that as well, since I have some friends out in the boonies who lack internet entirely.

Still, don't some modern flights have wireless internet on them these days?

Edit:

Well Manicured Man posted:

The Empty Planet

A song about all the dried-out, million-year-old mausoleums in the Land of Crypts and Helium.

And since I didn't get to post the last few songs I made in this thread, here they are:
Bell's Theme (Goonstuck)
Finale Strife
Rainbows and Starlight

These are really great! I especially love Final Strife and Rainbows and Starlight. The latter is probably my favorite Aggrieve mix ever.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 15, 2012

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Didn't Jane's kernelsprite sink into the pit? How is she going to prototype it at all now?! Actually, my lil theory is she'll make it down to her house and end up prototyping it with the turtle skull (since, as we know, they're attracted to the dead). Or it's gone and she has to work her way through early Sburb with ingenuity.

It's already been stated that none of the new kernelsprites will be prototyped; in fact, there aren't even towers on Prospit/Derse to receive the prototypes, and the battlefield has already been destroyed. The old players are going to be bringing all that stuff with them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zandar posted:

It's already been stated that none of the new kernelsprites will be prototyped; in fact, there aren't even towers on Prospit/Derse to receive the prototypes, and the battlefield has already been destroyed. The old players are going to be bringing all that stuff with them.

Only pre-entry prototypings get sent to the towers on Prospit/Derse, so there's no mechanical reason why they couldn't prototype post-entry, as far as we know.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Only pre-entry prototypings get sent to the towers on Prospit/Derse, so there's no mechanical reason why they couldn't prototype post-entry, as far as we know.

Ah, that's right; I misremembered exactly how that worked, sorry. So the post-entry prototyping doesn't affect anything other than the kernelsprite itself, then?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Zandar posted:

Ah, that's right; I misremembered exactly how that worked, sorry. So the post-entry prototyping doesn't affect anything other than the kernelsprite itself, then?

Nope, which is why none of the imps in the B1 session had characteristics of Nanna, Dave, or Jade.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I've always liked the idea of having Homestuck [...] in a kind of Visual-Novel style format
Would this sort of count?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually take out the songs that aren't my favorites when I move music onto my mp3 player, but I just don't think I can do that with Universe B (For A I kept around 10 tracks). At most I guess I don't really care for Coolkid all that much? Seriously, what a great album.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So I had a few random questions after this flash.

Regarding the million-year history for the consorts, they seemed aware of both Jake's dreamself dying and Jane's revival. So they were still alive while Jane and Dirk's dreamselves were awake and cognizant. I'm also willing to bet that Dirk's planet will have scripture detailing his uprising from [S] Prince of Heart: Rise up.

It has me wonder more and more whether the planets exist or not prior to entry. If they do exist, is there technically anything stopping the dreamselves from wandering around the rest of the medium? Sollux's dreamself flew all the way back to his planet, but that was only after he entered.

If the planets don't exist, then I guess every little detail comes in preloaded from Skaia. But then it makes me wonder if that limits the progress you can make within the game. Can Jane not proceed to her second gate without making sure that the next player is in the game?

I'm also throwing in the guess that Jake is going to die upon entry. By then Jane might have realized some of her Life powers and be able to save him somehow.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Nate RFB posted:

At most I guess I don't really care for Coolkid all that much?

Coolkid sounds to me like a dubstep remix of something like Derezzed. There are a lot of similar synths in there. I actually like it and I don't understand the genre at all!

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Cavatica posted:

Regarding the million-year history for the consorts, they seemed aware of both Jake's dreamself dying and Jane's revival. So they were still alive while Jane and Dirk's dreamselves were awake and cognizant. I'm also willing to bet that Dirk's planet will have scripture detailing his uprising from [S] Prince of Heart: Rise up.

It has me wonder more and more whether the planets exist or not prior to entry. If they do exist, is there technically anything stopping the dreamselves from wandering around the rest of the medium? Sollux's dreamself flew all the way back to his planet, but that was only after he entered.

If the planets don't exist, then I guess every little detail comes in preloaded from Skaia. But then it makes me wonder if that limits the progress you can make within the game. Can Jane not proceed to her second gate without making sure that the next player is in the game?

I think the way it works is that, prior to a given player's entry, their planet doesn't exist at all, and once they enter, not only does it come into existence, it is as if it always existed in the first place, with its million-year history and everything.

At least, that was the sense I always got. I can't actually back that up off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
We don't know for sure. LOLAR's introduction seemed to imply they don't exist until the players enter. The "it's like loading a video game level" explanation seems to fit for me.