Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I imagine they forget about it in the heat of the moment considering they have trouble just holding onto their weapons :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So on the Idle Thumbs server we've started a new "Epoch", and while I probably won't contribute much, I figured with our plans for this iteration tending towards a very centralized community build area, I'd make us a Welcome Center/Spawn to be remembered. We've had a really neat hub/spawn/welcome center for every iteration of the server, so I wanted to go big. I might have gone too big.

The base of the World Tree.

The "globe" in the foyer.

The stairs up from the foyer to the Library/spawn.

Spawn itself.

Views from the Godsdeck.

This is about 16 hours of work (our neighborhood admin gave me spawn commands and everyone can fly but it's otherwise built by hand) and I have no idea how long it's going to take to put the branches on it, but I'll probably be done in the next day or two. I tried to do an actual tree-like shape of somewhat an hourglass, but in order to do that the base would have to be enormous. So lovely pillar tree.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 14, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

IUG posted:

Someone please add this to the OP of this topic. Every time I want to download a new texture pack I have to disable my ad blocker, a control panel, enable cookies, wait for the equinox, and then hope I got through that adfly mess.

added it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's also worth noting that if you happen to use Firefox addon NoScript, ad.fly (and maybe similar services?) gets automatically bypassed by the addon.

NoScript changelog posted:

adf.ly surrogate to automaticaly skip the interstitial page even if scripts are disabled

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 14, 2012

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Internet Kraken posted:

I imagine they forget about it in the heat of the moment considering they have trouble just holding onto their weapons :v:
http://i.imgur.com/JsXdY.jpg
This picture that was posted on their community for the challenge pretty much sums up why they didn't do any advanced tactics at the end.

"Etho, come here right now!"

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 14, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Haha that pic is great and pretty much how I thought the ending went.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poo poo, is it over? No spoilers, since I haven't watched any of it yet.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

poo poo, is it over? No spoilers, since I haven't watched any of it yet.

Yup. The last five minutes are worth watching from every perspective.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Man i would love to participate in a game of this. Would any euro timezone compatible people be up for this?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Orv posted:

tree!

I still think you should taper out the bottom, maybe have a few roots around the ground. Go the extra mile and it'll look super nice.
Also for a suggestion, how about having the glowstone as some kind of shelf fungus growing on the tree? It would beat spotted blocks here and there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

oddeye posted:

Yup. The last five minutes are worth watching from every perspective.

This is what I ended up doing. For the previous episodes, and even like the first half of the last episode, I only watched one perspective per team, only watching another if something actually seemed to happen elsewhere, but for those last few minutes, I ended up watching every single perspective, it was great.

They mentioned doing 4 teams of 2 possibly, but unfortunately, they also mentioned having 4 islands, or even worse doing FFA with 8 islands. :gonk:

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

They mentioned doing 4 teams of 2 possibly, but unfortunately, they also mentioned having 4 islands, or even worse doing FFA with 8 islands. :gonk:

It would be watchable if each were placed exactly 100 blocks between each other - separated by big rivers, not oceans. The likelihood of encounters goes up because the distance is just far enough to need a 20 second boatride, not a 10 minute one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I do like the pairs idea, but I really hope that don't decide to start on separate islands.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I Said No posted:

I still think you should taper out the bottom, maybe have a few roots around the ground. Go the extra mile and it'll look super nice.
Also for a suggestion, how about having the glowstone as some kind of shelf fungus growing on the tree? It would beat spotted blocks here and there.

I'll have to be careful if I do taper it because our infrastructure is already so close.

The roots, I forgot to mention or get a shot of the inside of, are actually subway terminals. Subway rails are our main method of getting around on this server so each root has a couple arrivals/departures lines that people are welcome to claim and build off of.

I like the glowstone idea, I'm just worried about interior lighting. The spaced glowstone is barely preventing interior mob spawns.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
They really need to set up camera operators with that vanish mod or something along with a mod to see through walls in an aesthetically pleasing way... at least, that is what I dream of

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

whalestory posted:

They really need to set up camera operators with that vanish mod or something along with a mod to see through walls in an aesthetically pleasing way... at least, that is what I dream of

There's a bunch of clients out there with freecam, which would do that pretty well. It basically lets you move your camera around independent of your body, and can noclip and whatnot. Pretty neat for filming wider events. :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't think they need spectators, what I'd like to see is an edit for each team where you have the POV of the most interesting player at the moment. Doing that properly would require a little bit more technically, though, because the players would need to record only the game audio, and someone else would have to make an independent recording of the VOIP.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think it'd be neat if they did a hardcore survival game were almost the entire map was a jungle. Seems like the terrain would make for some interesting fights.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
How do villages work? I want to expand a village more and more until I have a very large population of testificates and plenty of iron golems. Is it possible to do this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Worst Muslim posted:

How do villages work? I want to expand a village more and more until I have a very large population of testificates and plenty of iron golems. Is it possible to do this?

You may have to make the golems yourself, but it's fine. The village will designate any enclosed space near an existing house with a wooden door to also be a house, and villagers may use it. The total cap of villagers will be something like a third the number of wooden doors in the village, and they'll breed until they reach that cap. Golems will associate themselves with protecting any village they find themselves inside.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Here's the requirements for a village house from the wiki:
  • Must have a solid roof (something that blocks skylight)
  • Must have a door
  • Must be made of non-naturally generated blocks.
  • the natural blocks are: air, stone, grass, dirt, bedrock, water, lava, sand, gravel , any ores, logs, leaves, sandstone, tall grass, dead bush, flowers, mushrooms, snow tiles, ice, cactus, clay, sugarcane, pumpkin, huge mushrooms, vines, mycelium, lily pad, end portal frame.
Don't know how accurate that is though. I'm pretty sure I've had testificates live in houses made from giant red mushrooms.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

Here's the requirements for a village house from the wiki:
  • Must have a solid roof (something that blocks skylight)
  • Must have a door
  • Must be made of non-naturally generated blocks.
  • the natural blocks are: air, stone, grass, dirt, bedrock, water, lava, sand, gravel , any ores, logs, leaves, sandstone, tall grass, dead bush, flowers, mushrooms, snow tiles, ice, cactus, clay, sugarcane, pumpkin, huge mushrooms, vines, mycelium, lily pad, end portal frame.
Don't know how accurate that is though. I'm pretty sure I've had testificates live in houses made from giant red mushrooms.

When don't they include logs? That's the only material I've seen any use for roofs.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.

The Worst Muslim posted:

Yes, I've made a village of eight into a village supporting five golems and so many Testificates that I couldn't count them. I only added more doors and buildings. First there were baby Testificates, with all the different clothes even if I didn't have the right buildings (I had blacksmiths without a blacksmith shop). Then the golems just started appearing.

I suggest starting with just adding more doors to the buildings and then prepare yourself for hearing all those doors opening and closing all day, every day.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Leodon posted:

I suggest starting with just adding more doors to the buildings and then prepare yourself for hearing all those doors opening and closing all day, every day.

Testificates can get out of hand really easily.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ye Olde Goon Squadde has a new installment, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUlReQx32Q

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
RE: the newest Shadow of Isrephel

:smith:

RIP Old Peculiar

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
If you drop Villagers into an empty town or village or whatever in SMP, will they work properly? I.e take up residence, breed etc

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
We spent a whole night playing with villagers on our server.
They'll function like a normal village, but you need enough doors. The population growth and capacity is directly related to the number of doors in the area. We plopped in one villager, and we had to keep adding doors until a female and baby spawned. From that point on the population started to grow.

I'm not sure how many doors were needed though. Assuming you already have an empty town or village, they should work right away.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Do the doors actually need to work? (Actually be in an opening in the wall?) Or can I just add doors all around the outside of an existing villager house to increase the door count?

Reverend Jones
Jan 1, 2007
The Sauce is Boss

DoctorWhat posted:

Ye Olde Goon Squadde has a new installment, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUlReQx32Q

I wish they would put a 'what happened last episode' before the new episodes. I mean television shows do that for once a week airings, they release a new SOI every month or so.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Reverend Jones posted:

I wish they would put a 'what happened last episode' before the new episodes. I mean television shows do that for once a week airings, they release a new SOI every month or so.

No kidding. Every time they post up something new I never have even the slightest idea of what's going on. Guess it doesn't help that I skip half the giant loving walls of text (meaning I skip half the video). I'm honestly kind of glad SoI is coming to a close. It's been drawn out way too long, and hasn't been amazing since the original minecraft survival videos. I guess the whole minecraft fanfic style that they've been going with just doesn't really do it for me. They make some pretty interesting mod spotlights though, and adventure maps can be alright when they aren't full of pages and pages of fantasy fiction written by middle schoolers.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Yeah I wish they would just stick to adventure maps and mod spotlights. No bad acting, just two dudes having fun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ixjuvin posted:

If you drop Villagers into an empty town or village or whatever in SMP, will they work properly? I.e take up residence, breed etc

Yes, perfectly. I think you need two to start a village, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any tangible benefit to protecting and expanding a village?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Being master of all you survey?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Making an iron golem farm, unless that was fixed.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Speaking of Yogscast, their game on Kickstarter has been funded.
Interesting, as I'm interested in seeing if they can truly magic up a game where adventure maps are supported.

Any ways, good going guys :)

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I hope they add cool procedural generated content as well. I know their main focus is a moddable, adventure map creator, but really wouldn't be hard for an actual studio of people to make more content than minecraft. I think it's mentioned that that'll also be a focus, although not the main one, too.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Lots of friends :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bolian Blues posted:

Lots of friends :3:

I always like to make towns and bunches of buildings anyways, it's nice to have them full of people now.

Although it helps Xenocontendi makes them look like nice kindly humans with tall hats rather than tentacle faced freaks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 16, 2012