Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crono/Ayla/Frog party all night.

Building on what others have said, not only can you re-fight all the bosses, if you work your way backwards through the time periods you can scoop up multiple copies of the gear. Quite useful for some of it. I'm not sure why I'm spoiling a 17 year old game.

The sidequest rewards also help immensely. The Prism helms (or dresses for the ladies) and Rainbow sword for Crono at the very least are very valuable things to bring along, and getting Frog his ultimate weapon makes it all the sweeter (and gives some closure to his otherwise unfulfilled plot arc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

As was mentioned already, Prism equipment helps tremendously. Moon Armor would help whoever your Male character is survive. If you don't have access to Vigil Hats or Prism Equipment, you're going to want to do the side quests to get all the characters' specialty equipment. The main concern I have stems from your level. I remember having done none of the special quests and getting repeatedly one shot by Lavos' Destruction Rains from the Heavens. I was running Crono, Marle, and Ayla at the time.

You're going to want to do the Rainbow Shell quest, at the very least. I'm not sure if you have to trigger the event in Zenan or Porre, but it involves seeing Toma do some stuff and then visiting him near the town where Cyrus is buried in 600 AD.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If I remember correctly (and it's been close to a decade so I very well could not be) he should just migrate to the town on his own, and you get the item to point you in the right direction from there.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Ah, BadAstronaut has done all the side quests...

I know who your party members are, but I'd like to know what armor and gear you're running into that battle with. You should have either 3 Prism Helmets or 1 Prism Dress if you've done the Rainbow Shell quest. If you've done the Sunstone Quest, then you should have the Rainbow and Prism Specs, which are useful as well. Since you're level 40 (wow), you're going to need more levels if you don't have decent gear across the board and you aren't going to at least try to keep buffs up (which is more trouble than it's worth). Around 55-60 can keep you from getting killed by Destruction Rains from the Heavens and subsequent attacks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress it, gun it with the Epoch and skip that poo poo entirely :smug:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All sidequests and you're level 45?

I didn't know that was possible. That's super-low.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress it, gun it with the Epoch and skip that poo poo entirely :smug:

Then he'll get killed by Doors of Doom, cause if Destruction Rains from the Heavens is killing him, that attack will result in the same thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I don't remember Doors of Doom doing that much damage. I've always been under the impression that he's much more reasonable to fight and that Destruction from the Heavens' attack power was artificially inflated under certain circumstances (specifically, using the bucket to get to Lavos and then later in the Undersea Palace).

Honestly the only thing I was ever worried about in that fight was Confusion. I don't seem to recall any equipment protecting against that--not even the stuff you can buy in the cathedral.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 14, 2012

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I don't remember Doors of Doom doing that much damage. I've always been under the impression that he's much more reasonable to fight and that Destruction from the Heavens' attack power was artificially inflated under certain circumstances (specifically, using the bucket to get to Lavos and then later in the Undersea Palace).

Nah, Doors of Doom is pretty brutal if your levels and equipment suck. I remember Ayla being the only character I had that was capable of surviving that attack, because she was the only one with 999HP and she would have something like 40-50 HP left. I was around level 54 at highest with Vigil Hats and no Rainbow Gear I think.

There are moments where Destruction Rains from the Heavens are plot-powered, but if this player is getting wiped by that attack now, ramming the Epoch into Lavos will still cause them to get killed by Doors of Doom.

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly the only thing I was ever worried about in that fight was Confusion. I don't seem to recall any equipment protecting against that--not even the stuff you can buy in the cathedral.

You can avoid that completely if you just kill it before the attack comes out. It usually marks Lavos' second form cycling back through its attacks from the beginning, since its preceded by some attack that breaks your status defense, which is why you can be confused in the first place.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Bussamove posted:

All sidequests and you're level 45?

I didn't know that was possible. That's super-low.
47/48 for some. Changed to Frog/Ayla/Crono and won! Thanks guys!!

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've got a PS+ on PS3 question I hope you guys can answer.

I have yet to ever finish Persona 3. The first time was because I moved on to FES, and the next two attempts I had lost my save data under two different circumstances.

I'm looking to finally commit to the game 100% and finally finish it to completion. To avoid another potential lost save incident, I was wondering if owning the digital "PS2 Classics" version from PSN will allow me to upload its save data to the PS+ Cloud.

Or can this be done already with a PS2 save on the PS3? I'm not sure if the digital PS2 downloads use a different save file than the one it creates with a PS2 disc (I own a BC compatible PS3).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Primoman posted:

I've got a PS+ on PS3 question I hope you guys can answer.

I have yet to ever finish Persona 3. The first time was because I moved on to FES, and the next two attempts I had lost my save data under two different circumstances.

I'm looking to finally commit to the game 100% and finally finish it to completion. To avoid another potential lost save incident, I was wondering if owning the digital "PS2 Classics" version from PSN will allow me to upload its save data to the PS+ Cloud.

Or can this be done already with a PS2 save on the PS3? I'm not sure if the digital PS2 downloads use a different save file than the one it creates with a PS2 disc (I own a BC compatible PS3).

With PS2 saves you can literally put them on a memory stick and save them on your computer. I have no idea if they work on the PS3 cloudsave service but I've downloaded saves for PS2 games from other people and they work just fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I've recently started replaying Xenogears, and I can't stop hearing everything Hammer says in the voice of that guy in the Chappelle's Show sketch "If the Internet Was a Real Place" who tries to sell Dave boner pills.

Also, Xenogears is awesome gently caress the haters.

Out of curiosity what part are you at?

On my last playthrough with Dark Id's LP I noticed how much I liked Elly more. Her and Fei's romance was really sweet and I think it's a big reason why I could endure and even like Disk 2. (well that and Grahf's backstory, G-Elements and a few other things)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's too bad she's useless in battle, except for her Gear which is overpowered with an Ether Doubler.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I missed out on the entire era of first person party dungeon crawlers ala legends of Grimrock. The only ones I ever played were Legends of Arkania and Wizardry 8. What games in the style of Legends of Grimrock should I try out? I want more games like this, though more story would be nice.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 15, 2012

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Diogines posted:

I missed out on the entire era of first person party dungeon crawlers ala legends of Grimrock. The only ones I ever played were Legends of Arkania and Wizardry 8. What games in the style of Legends of Grimrock should I try out? I want more games like this, though more story would be nice.

Story in first-person party dungeon crawlers is a rarity, just so you know, but in terms of games to try...

Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder are most in the style of Legend of Grimrock. Then you have the Wizardries. (6-7 are the best in the series IMO) The PS2 Wizardries are pretty good too--I know for a fact that Wizardry Busin came out in English as Tales of the Forsaken land, but I don't know about its prequel, Busin 0. Busin 0 is way better than its predecessor so if you can, get that.

Then there's Realms of Arkania like you mentioned as well, 3 is pretty heavy on the story. The whole Might and Magic series is another one that's easier than its contemporaries and pretty popular. You can get the whole lot of them on GOG for cheap. Also there's Bard's Tale 1-3, which are like Wizardry's ornery cousin. Way harder than Wizardry, very sadistic but fun if you can get into it.

The Gold Box games are also very good but punishing hardcore AD&D. There are also a ton of one-offs like Dragon Wars, Stonekeep, etc. Plenty to choose from.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I wish there were more JRPGs that started out quickly. I feel like it's the worst trope in the genre that every single JRPG ever has to start 10 hours early before exciting things happen in the game. I want to play a good JRPG, but getting over that initial hurdle is just so much of an effort that I rarely finish JRPGs that I start.

What are some good games that toss you into the thick of things right away?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Diogines posted:

For a slightly different suggestion, I'd say the spirit of the genre is in King's Field for PSX. You're only one guy though, not a party. It's light on story, heavy on dungeon-crawling. However you're still scouring walls for secrets, avoiding deadly traps, and fighting a large variety of increasingly freakish monsters. Circle strafing is the strategy of choice in this game, though it's not tile-based. You even fight giant snails! I think anybody with an interest in Legend of Grimrock would find a lot to love in King's Field.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Philip Rivers posted:

I wish there were more JRPGs that started out quickly. I feel like it's the worst trope in the genre that every single JRPG ever has to start 10 hours early before exciting things happen in the game. I want to play a good JRPG, but getting over that initial hurdle is just so much of an effort that I rarely finish JRPGs that I start.

Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Suikoden II, and Chrono Trigger. Try those to start.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Resonance of Fate definitely tosses you in right away, even to it's detriment; they really should have not let you get into battles on the way to the tutorials.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Cityinthesea posted:

Resonance of Fate definitely tosses you in right away, even to it's detriment; they really should have not let you get into battles on the way to the tutorials.

I assume it's not a big problem but that's kind of hilarious.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Philip Rivers posted:

I wish there were more JRPGs that started out quickly...
Valkyrie Profile throws you right into battles and storylines, though if you're expecting persistent development of characters that have already been introduced, it may not be what you're looking for. Legend of Legaia has one of the quicker intro sequences, unless you choose to mess about in the starting village.

e:

Kharmakazy posted:

If you need another obscure srpg to add to your list, Sayuki: journey west (spelling?) was another good one.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm enjoying the tone and characters of Saiyuki quite a bit, even if the battle mechanics are a little on the simple side. That's probably biased by picking up a copy of Makai Kingdom recently, which I'd somehow missed hearing about until a few days ago. :shobon:

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Nickoten posted:

I assume it's not a big problem but that's kind of hilarious.

It actually is, because the battle system is unlike anything else and you'll have no loving clue what to do without the tutorials.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Philip Rivers posted:

Radiant Historia maybe? Your allies get murdered and you gain time travelling powers within the first ten minutes.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nate RFB posted:

It's too bad she's useless in battle, except for her Gear which is overpowered with an Ether Doubler.

She's not really useless, it's just that there's so many better choices.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Philip Rivers posted:

I would say play Xenoblade. However, it might be hard to acquire now if you are in the US. If you are interested head to your nearest Gamestop immediately to see if they have any copies left. Any JRPG fan needs to give this game a shot. It's easily one of the best RPGs I have played in the past decade. You can find all the information you need here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I would say play Xenoblade. However, it might be hard to acquire now if you are in the US. If you are interested head to your nearest Gamestop immediately to see if they have any copies left. Any JRPG fan needs to give this game a shot. It's easily one of the best RPGs I have played in the past decade. You can find all the information you need here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

Xenoblade, however, starts the very opposite of "quickly". There's an action prologue, but then you run around for anywhere between 1 to 10 hours depending on how many sidequests you want to do before the main plot starts.

It's fun even in the beginning but it does not start quickly at all.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpazmasterX posted:

She's not really useless, it's just that there's so many better choices.

There was no more awesome moment in battle then witnessing Elly's elemental-based spells, and then having a certain party member who ended up being

her genetically-engineered daughter from a past life

step in and performed the bigger, stronger, screen-filling version of those same spells.

I bet Elly was silently thinking "Well, poo poo" after that display.

I will continue to hope that one day Emeralda gets her own game, as originally intended

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

Xenoblade, however, starts the very opposite of "quickly". There's an action prologue, but then you run around for anywhere between 1 to 10 hours depending on how many sidequests you want to do before the main plot starts.

It's fun even in the beginning but it does not start quickly at all.

Well, it begins quickly in that you're given control almost immediately and can do what you want to do. You can choose to avoid the story however, you are correct about that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone know why nearly every japanese rpg have you playing teenagers when almost no western rpgs have you play as children or teenagers? Are the demographics really different (I know in America I've seen stories that suggest there are more adult than under 18 gamers but I dunno about Japan) or is it just taste?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone know why nearly every japanese rpg have you playing teenagers when almost no western rpgs have you play as children or teenagers? Are the demographics really different (I know in America I've seen stories that suggest there are more adult than under 18 gamers but I dunno about Japan) or is it just taste?

Nearly everyone that's over 30 in a jrpg is a total badass, so they gotta balance it out with a bunch of whiny teenagers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

low-key-taco posted:

Japanese popular fiction in general tends to use younger protagonists than American. Japanese RPGs use teenagers more often because the reference pools that the designers of Japanese RPGs draw on use teenagers more often. If you want to know why that happens, you'd probably have to ask an opinionated sociologist, because I'm sure it's complicated.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Nearly everyone that's over 30 in a jrpg is a total badass, so they gotta balance it out with a bunch of whiny teenagers.

Either that or they're in a wheelchair ranting about medicare death panels at the ripe old age of 35.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Philip Rivers posted:

RPGs with the best starts:
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom: In fact, the first hour is the best part of the whole game. It's weird in that it starts out awesome but gets steadily worse the more you play it.
Earthbound: Right away, a meteor has hit, you're fighting aliens, and great story things are happening.
Mother 3: Incredible story telling right from the beginning.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

low-key-taco posted:

JRPGs, by and large, are one of those genres that know what audience they care about pandering to, and it's Japanese teenagers. Anyone else who enjoys the is just kind of a side bonus.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Answering my own question: Phantasy Star IV. This game loving rules, don't know why I haven't played it before.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress me Tactics Ogre has so many stats for each unit.

THIS UNIT HAS ALLEGIANCE TO THIS GUY AND IS FROM THIS CLAN AND IS LAWFUL GOOD AND HIS FORTUNE TODAY IS 3 STARS - TRY AGAIn

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

gently caress me Tactics Ogre has so many stats for each unit.

THIS UNIT HAS ALLEGIANCE TO THIS GUY AND IS FROM THIS CLAN AND IS LAWFUL GOOD AND HIS FORTUNE TODAY IS 3 STARS - TRY AGAIn

I've beaten the game twice and never paid any attention to any of those things, so they aren't really that important.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So this weekend was the new planned date for the new copies of Pier Solar to ship out. I wonder how that's going.

iast's inbox posted:

Dear iast,

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is the OST, Reprint & Reprint EP are delayed yet again for various reasons. As mentioned before, we want the releases to happen simultaneously, so our shipping schedule can be more efficient.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

So this weekend was the new planned date for the new copies of Pier Solar to ship out. I wonder how that's going.

:argh:

Man, these guys really really need to look at digital distribution through something like Steam. Producing physical copies of games is a nightmare if you don't have a reliable production scheme, and they clearly don't.

Philip Rivers posted:

Answering my own question: Phantasy Star IV. This game loving rules, don't know why I haven't played it before.

This a thousand times. PSIV is probably among my five favorite RPGs of all time. It's just so good for the period and is just the best distillation of old school Phantasy Star that exists. The music is awesome, the graphics are amazing for the time and the game is really long and has some cool story hooks.