Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

sudonim posted:

What is the sequence to get melia to be an engine of death? I get that she can summon elementals and release them for damage, but it seems to cap out around 1000 damage while shulk and riki can do hilariously more than that, 6000 or so. What do I do with melia to get her to catch up? They're all around level 36, for reference.

Another thing you could try out late in the game in addition to the other suggestions is to link 7's hideously expensive skill that increases tension by 1 level whenever she uses her Talent art. Since Melia's works differently and she can spam hers much more often than other characters, she can pretty much hit maximum tension on command, which in addition to all the other high tension bonuses decreases the chance that Element Burst ends whenever she uses it once she has it available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meiteron posted:

Dunban works equally well as a tank or as pure damage, although it's worth noting that he can end up doing so much damage that he can pull hate quite easily even over Reyn, so running him as a tank tends to be what you end up doing. If you do this, it is very important that you keep him in light armour and fill him up with agility plus gems. With enough agility he will basically dodge everything under the sun.

I'm only about halfway through the game but I have personally found Dunban to be the better tank as long as he has the levels and agility to evade the majority of attacks (or has his agility+ aura active). When I'm fighting things several levels above me (such has named monsters or some bosses) Reyn usually works better as Dunban is pretty fragile if things can actually hit him.

Even geared and with his arts set for a tankish style, Dunban deals silly-high amounts of damage compared to Reyn. I had to swap from Riki tanking to Dunban simply because he kept pulling poo poo off of the fuzzball. Now that he's got about three times as much agility as the next highest party member he's a goddamn untouchable ninja, and stuff dies so much faster than when I was using Reyn, Shulk, and Sharla. Even bosses haven't given him any guff yet. Plus he can Break, Topple, and Daze all in one suave package. Pretty much every monster dies on its rear end to a giant chain attack. It might not be Reyn time, but it is HEROPON TIME and that is just so much better.

Once I finally shook the feeling that I needed a traditional beefy tank and dedicated healer (Thanks U-DO Burger for setting me straight), it was like a whole new world.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Argh, I can't beat the pair of bosses at the end of the tomb. Any suggestions?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

sudonim posted:

Argh, I can't beat the pair of bosses at the end of the tomb. Any suggestions?

Are you using Aura Seal? That's pretty much required whenever you fight one of those things. I didn't have too much trouble with it, just make sure to keep everyone topped off because it can do a sudden burst of damage to the party with its bellyflop, and to save the Inquisitor for last because Shulk can only ever deal 1 damage to her. She isn't much of a threat, but it'll take ages to kill her with only two people able to do any sort of damage, especially if you're using Sharla to heal.

Is there any specific part of the fight that's giving you trouble?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Even geared and with his arts set for a tankish style, Dunban deals silly-high amounts of damage compared to Reyn. I had to swap from Riki tanking to Dunban simply because he kept pulling poo poo off of the fuzzball. Now that he's got about three times as much agility as the next highest party member he's a goddamn untouchable ninja, and stuff dies so much faster than when I was using Reyn, Shulk, and Sharla. Even bosses haven't given him any guff yet. Plus he can Break, Topple, and Daze all in one suave package. Pretty much every monster dies on its rear end to a giant chain attack. It might not be Reyn time, but it is HEROPON TIME and that is just so much better.

Hmm. Is tanky-dodgy-awesome Dunban viable for me yet? I just got to The town of Alcamoth, and we're all level 41

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's right around the time I started using him, so go hog wild!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Volt Catfish posted:

Hmm. Is tanky-dodgy-awesome Dunban viable for me yet? I just got to The town of Alcamoth, and we're all level 41

Link skills that raise Agility and reduce the weight of equipment on him, stick him in Light armour with some Agility gems and go nuts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I wish I had more time :negative:

I think I went into one of the dungeons way underlevelled so I should probably re-start but I just don't have time anymore.

Does anyone know how to scheme the Ontario welfare system? I got games I need to play.

:negative:

You don't have to restart. Just... go somewhere else and do more side quests? You can fast travel out of almost any spot at any time. The few spots you can't fast travel from, you can't save in either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was running around the fallen arm area using Dunban, Melia, and Riki for awhile, with riki as my main and dunban using 50% to double attack (plus his skill). No crazy linking with others but man, when he uses his haste aura and gets a 70% haste bonus, with 55% double attack rate he's just a buzzsaw. Does his skill stack with haste gems? Haven't made any yet but I have some level 3 stuff that could probably make 1, maybe 2.

I'm getting level 4 drops now for gems but none have haste on them yet, I'm in the next area, using 7th in place of Reyn. Doesn't hold aggro as well but stuff dies way faster since 7th is using the 50% double attack instead of dunban.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sudonim posted:

What is the sequence to get melia to be an engine of death? I get that she can summon elementals and release them for damage, but it seems to cap out around 1000 damage while shulk and riki can do hilariously more than that, 6000 or so. What do I do with melia to get her to catch up? They're all around level 36, for reference.

First off, like others have said you should max out her lightning summon and find her a staff with 3 slots. Drop Electricity Plus in each slot. There's also a Lightning Plus that just adds extra Lightning damage to autoattacks. Make sure you're using the one that increases electric damage by a %. Slot Ether Up into the rest of her gear until she hits the cap.

I do something along the lines of: summon two lightnings, top off the talent gauge with other summons, then immediately summon a third lightning. Use her ether defense reduction art, then throw a lightning. Clone, then throw another. Summon another lightning normally since it has probably recharged just now, then throw all three you have left. If she stays in Elemental Burst for the duration, the damage output gets sick. Around level 43 I'm seeing her put out 10-18k damage per hit on blue cons. It takes some setup time if she starts the fight with her talent gauge empty though.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Tanks for advice re: melia usage and double boss. I actually beat the double boss through proper melia usage! Fun fact: The attack-dodging enemies you start to run into around the time Melia joins are NOT able to dodge her summons! :haw:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Man, is is just me or do the enemies suddenly get a giant leap in deadliness from Sword Valley onwards? I'm making my way to the Central Factory and suddenly I'm running into enemies that are on a lower level than me but still kick my rear end.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Marogareh posted:

I'm amazed that a wii game can have so much flowing grass.

No kidding. Stationary grass at Two Worlds lunch (although you could turn it off with a console command - in the console version of the game). I really like this thread; I have very limited time to play games in general and I figure something out that wasn't making any sense everytime I come here.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
I've had Riki for around a dozen-or-so hours now (he's currently Level 43) and I'm still having a bit of a tough time figuring out what his deal is. I usually stick him with Sharla and Melia, but I'm not really sure how well he contributes to that team. Apparently from hearsay in the thread he's supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not quite sure what's the most effective way to use the little fuzzball. How the hell can I make this guy worth using?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Jetpack Postman posted:

I've had Riki for around a dozen-or-so hours now (he's currently Level 43) and I'm still having a bit of a tough time figuring out what his deal is. I usually stick him with Sharla and Melia, but I'm not really sure how well he contributes to that team. Apparently from hearsay in the thread he's supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not quite sure what's the most effective way to use the little fuzzball. How the hell can I make this guy worth using?

Stick as many Bleed/Chill/Blaze/Poison plus gems as you can on him, use those arts at the beginning of a battle, watch as the enemy's HP gauge melts away.

Or at least that's how I use him. He can stack an incredible amount of debuffs on an enemy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Man, sleep is great. It's like time travel. I'm gonna get to go to sleep and magically wake up well into tomorrow! Probably with Xenoblade having already arrived. :3: Stupid Nintendo and their week long shipping... anyone else getting theirs today?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Here I thought poo poo was real as soon as Metal Face first showed up (We knew each other for such a short time, Fiora, but you were the most :black101: love interest in any JRPG. I salute you). So it gets even more real, eh?

I'm like ten hours in and I only just got out of Tephra cave. Jesus CHRIST they went completely nuts with quests. It's neat how they help to lend flavor to the regions they take place in. And it's also nice how I'm probably like ten levels higher than I need to be thanks to those, and even boss monsters have trouble just landing a hit on us.

Still, I could see getting burnt out on this game really quickly if I can't learn to occasionally ignore every '!' that pops up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mazed posted:

Still, I could see getting burnt out on this game really quickly if I can't learn to occasionally ignore every '!' that pops up.

The game has a New Game + option. I recommend you take on less sidequests and leave some unexplored regions on the map in order to concentrate on the story. When your levels are closer to the enemy's fights are a little more harrowing and interesting. Furthermore, on NG+, you'll be able to explore at your leisure with all your unlocked arts, levels, and most items.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Man that mandatory fetch quest when you reach the end of Satorl Marsh really kills the momentum. Maybe I just don't like the area as much as other people seem to and am eager to leave, so reaching what looks like the end and being told "OK, now backtrack through there and get me some stuff so you can leave for real" was the first time this game has ever made me turn it off from simply not wanting to play rather than tiredness/real world responsibilities.

It's still awesome though, I just hope it doesn't resort to stuff like this too much in the future.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone else having trouble with some of the missing people quests? I've searched high and low and they won't show up at all.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Bussamove posted:

Once I finally shook the feeling that I needed a traditional beefy tank and dedicated healer (Thanks U-DO Burger for setting me straight), it was like a whole new world.

Wait, what was his advice? I'm still struggling to figure out how to properly use Riki in a party and without a healer I go pop quite quickly in tough encounters. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You can't fast travel between zones, right? You have to fast travel to the entrance of the zone and walk through it to the adjacent zone manually, right?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can't fast travel between zones, right? You have to fast travel to the entrance of the zone and walk through it to the adjacent zone manually, right?

Open your menu, select the far left option, pick the zone you want to fast travel to.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Brackhar posted:

Wait, what was his advice? I'm still struggling to figure out how to properly use Riki in a party and without a healer I go pop quite quickly in tough encounters. :(

Riki learns a heal at some point, but I forget exactly when. Maybe leave him out until he gets it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alris posted:

Open your menu, select the far left option, pick the zone you want to fast travel to.

This is the best feature. More RPGs need it. And it's done so smoothly it doesn't feel like you're skipping content so much as just cuing a scene change: Dungeon! Big monster! Kill it! *skip* Back in town! "Yo, I killed your monster." *skip* Right back to nearly the same spot in the dungeon, moving right along.

Blind Sally posted:

The game has a New Game + option. I recommend you take on less sidequests and leave some unexplored regions on the map in order to concentrate on the story. When your levels are closer to the enemy's fights are a little more harrowing and interesting. Furthermore, on NG+, you'll be able to explore at your leisure with all your unlocked arts, levels, and most items.

Nice. Are there multiple endings accessible only via New Game+, by chance, or is it just a thing to help replays fly by?

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature
I think I'm getting this in the mail today.... A package. From Nintendo!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Violently Car posted:

Riki learns a heal at some point, but I forget exactly when. Maybe leave him out until he gets it.

He starts with an AoE cone heal, but it's by no means reliable enough for tough encounters. Does he get another?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Brackhar posted:

He starts with an AoE cone heal, but it's by no means reliable enough for tough encounters. Does he get another?

So far You Can Do It and Light Heal have been enough healing for me, along with everyone having the skill that heals after a chain attack linked from Shulk so everytime the party meter fills 15% of their health is returned (do this it is seriously amazing). Shulk and Dunban both have several arts that can proc debuffs and increase the meter, and Riki's Happy Happy Dance gives a HUGE chunk of it if you upgrade the art. It quickly turns into all chain attacks all the time.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Re: correct Melia usage.

Personally, when I'm using her, I first summon a Wind and Water elemental (for the buffs), followed by a Lightning one. I'll unleash the Lightning one, then use Summon Copy to get it back, then unleash it again. There might be some wait until you get the Lightning one refilled (level it to the max!), so use the other four arts (which I put on the right-hand side of the Arts bar, just to be safe) to give her some use while waiting.

She eventually gets a two-part combo (Spear Break + some green Art) that Topples an enemy, and that should definitely be part of her repertoire. The other two are up to you, and I've been messing with them quite a bit myself.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If people missed out on the art book, here are scans of the 12 pages. I have no idea how picky people are, so I'll just leave this warning here. Click on the magnifying glass in the top right for huge.

:siren:MAY CONTAIN LOCATION SPOILERS IF YOU CARE ABOUT THAT. IT ALSO LISTS 7 PARTY MEMBERS ALREADY NAMED IN THIS THREAD MULTIPLE TIMES AND 2 MECHONS.:siren:

http://imgur.com/a/hrVzT

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So yesterday I realized that Shulk doesn't have to be a member of the party. Last night I took a look at the party relationship and realized that Reyn, Sharla, and Dunban were all cold to each other, while Shulk's relationships with everyone were all really high. In an effort to boost party relations, I made Sharla, Reyn, and Dunban the active party members and decided to play with them for a while until they all start liking each other more.

It's such a strange concept to me that the "main character" can be pushed off to the sidelines and that I can play with a group comprised solely of secondary characters.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Karthe posted:

It's such a strange concept to me that the "main character" can be pushed off to the sidelines and that I can play with a group comprised solely of secondary characters.
Out of curiosity, what JRPGs have you been playing recently that force you to keep the main character in your party?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Question for those who actually know, and don't just assume:

These increasing passive buffs to stats you get from talent lines (say, +2 - +15 to crit), are they permanent or do you have to have the corresponding line 'active'?

If it's the latter, that would make sense for when you maxed all the talent lines and can still choose which is the active one.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

HenryEx posted:

Question for those who actually know, and don't just assume:

These increasing passive buffs to stats you get from talent lines (say, +2 - +15 to crit), are they permanent or do you have to have the corresponding line 'active'?

If it's the latter, that would make sense for when you maxed all the talent lines and can still choose which is the active one.

The individual unlocks in each line are permanent whether or not you have the line selected. If you highlight the name of the line itself up top, you will see the passive bonus you only get while that line is active.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the passive bonus from each line is what i meant.

Also, as much as i am unimpressed by most of the music in this game (compared to how much it is lauded), and even though it took until the scene with Lord Egil in Mechonis Core and i'm sure it played before that, this stood out as pretty appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi1odcvM3pA

It starts rather unassuming, but the build-up fits the scene very well. From about a minute onwards, it really does evoke JRPG-style imminent world destruction end boss monologue, without being too overwrought.

This is of course offset by the horrible strings that were in basically every scene with Shulk and Fiora and actually hurt my ears.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Samurai Sanders posted:

To clarify, "-" brings up the local-area quick travel with no load screens, good for handing in quests or moving to a particular area you know monsters are at. "x" -> "map" brings up the full map of every area which you can then quick travel to, which will involve a loadscreen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How does the "see the future in battle" mechanic work? I get that you see what's going to happen and that you get a chance to counter it, but at least in the first battle where it's a mechanic countering boils down to "use Monado Shield on whoever's being targeted". Then why, for example, does warning Reyn of danger prompt me to choose one of Reyn's arts as a counter?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

How does the "see the future in battle" mechanic work? I get that you see what's going to happen and that you get a chance to counter it, but at least in the first battle where it's a mechanic countering boils down to "use Monado Shield on whoever's being targeted". Then why, for example, does warning Reyn of danger prompt me to choose one of Reyn's arts as a counter?

It's so that you can react to whatever danger there is using any of your party members that are fighting. If you're actively using Shulk you can use Monado Shield or something, but you could also warn Reyn if he's about to get hosed up and make him use his shield ability, or you could warn Sharla and she can top off someone's HP before they get messed up. It's like having a mini chain attack at your disposal.
e. Later on you get the prompt in regular battles, so it doesn't always boil down to "Use Monado when you get a vision."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

C-Euro posted:

When you Warn someone you're letting them know an attack is incoming and they will use one of their arts to prevent or deal with such an attack. Because maybe Shulk isn't in your party, or maybe the Monado gauge is empty. Perhaps Shulk doesn't have a skill that would protect him against the enemy's attack. That's why you can warn other party members: you can have Reyn or Dunban aggro and tank the blow, have your healer top you off so you can survive the blow, Topple the enemy with someone else, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?
I have a sidequest to kill the White Eduardo at Raguel Lake, but it only shows up during thunderstorms. What's the fastest way to trigger a thunderstorm? I've been messing around with the clock during the nighttime hours but so far I haven't been able to trigger one.

Related to this, I'm at the part in the main quest where Juju's been kidnapped, so I have to go to Colony 6 next. How much more do I have before the Bionis' Leg timed quests become locked out?

• Locked thread