Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I strongly disagree.

Releasing it before EVO was important to get build-up and promotion of the game at Majors leading up to it.

Also, releasing it in September would have meant it would have had to contend with a lot of holiday releases for attention, at the low point of the year for fighting game majors.

I don't think the current omissions are too glaring due to the price point, although they really need to make the next patch/update count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hoping like hell this isn't verboten to ask by now. Is there any guess or knowledge as to which system is going to have the larger online community? I tried reading some of the thread to find out but I didn't see anything.

Then I started reading some of the tactics/combo posts and I think I fainted for a minute there. I haven't played a fighter to any depth since Mortal Kombat 3 :v:, but this looks somehow fun despite my absolute ineptitude.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Usually it's the publisher that gets it out instead of the developer. Trust me, if money and time wasn't a problem this game would be as heavily featured as SfXT and come out in 2014. Instead it comes down to sales dictating DLC. Regardless, they have confirmed they will get at least one update.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Ledneh posted:

Hoping like hell this isn't verboten to ask by now. Is there any guess or knowledge as to which system is going to have the larger online community? I tried reading some of the thread to find out but I didn't see anything.

Then I started reading some of the tactics/combo posts and I think I fainted for a minute there. I haven't played a fighter to any depth since Mortal Kombat 3 :v:, but this looks somehow fun despite my absolute ineptitude.

Xbox usually has the larger online community.

The combos look intimidating but you'll only need two or three for each character, and they're a lot easier in this game because without hitstun decay, you can do the combo off literally any hitconfirm without them escaping.

Tactics are something that come over time, the most important thing is to know when to attack and when to block.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This game gives you big rewards for having high execution, but it also doesn't punish you for having bad to mediocre execution outside of "I'm not AS effective". You don't need to plink and do a bunch of 1-frame links to do a combo, you don't need to worry that your combo will randomly stop working because you put one extra jab at the start or took that extra second to dash.

Aside from "you can't normally go backwards in attack strength" "you only get one OTG" and "Don't do the same thing over and over" you can do pretty much anything and it'll combo, and that's loving genius. New players can feel good about themselves, freestyle at bit, and gradually get better at hitting buttons without feeling like they have a brick wall of finger puzzles they need to climb to do poo poo or just buttonmash the same four button combo forever, while good players that have the hand-eye coordination and presence of mind can just combo forever and not feel "why should I even bother putting in this work i'll just play wesker" but instead rewarded for being better then the other player. That's my two cents, anyway.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I like this game quite a lot but it's a bit too slow and a lot of the movement options feel like crap. Things like Painwheel's dash and Parasoul's walk are like, Resident Evil 1-3 status as far as "using movement to balance gameplay at the expense of making it feel totally unfun to use". The combo system and the general flow of gameplay are great though. Outside of her walk I really like how Parasoul feels with that 3S-esque dash and really snappy normals. It's fun to hit buttons in this game which has become something of a lost art in fighting games I think.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 16, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

why would you ever dash as painwheel

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

why would you ever dash as painwheel

you missed the point of the post.

ether
May 20, 2001

Bought this because the animations are stunning and colorful, but as a new player it is quite hard to get to grips with. Made the first playthrough of story mode sweeter though.

As for some actual content, I had the opportunity to play this with an arcade stick yesterday and it seemed a ton easier then a wireless controller. Especially launcher- air combo's. Is this just conformation bias on getting the timing better or is it a mandatory controller for fighting games in general. (loved it, but drat, a good stick costs quite a bit)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

ether posted:

As for some actual content, I had the opportunity to play this with an arcade stick yesterday and it seemed a ton easier then a wireless controller. Especially launcher- air combo's. Is this just conformation bias on getting the timing better or is it a mandatory controller for fighting games in general. (loved it, but drat, a good stick costs quite a bit)

Most fighting games are primary designed for play on an arcade stick but they're far from mandatory. I play SF4 on PC fine with only a keyboard.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I agree that movement feels a little weak for some characters, at least on the ground. Parasoul and Fortune could stand to be a bit faster while walking, and I really want Fortune's airdash to be exactly like Filia's but that's unlikely at best.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Valentine's dash/airdash are like silly slow too. She's supposed to be a ninja!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Valentine's dash/airdash are like silly slow too. She's supposed to be a ninja!

Here is a trick for you: back dash and then immediately press PP to get an extremely low and dirty instant air dash.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I'm talking more about movement that the ability to do mixups. It was particularly obvious on the Power Up stream with that Val player trying to traverse Peacock's obstacle course of bullshit with that slow moving airdash.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I'm talking more about movement that the ability to do mixups. It was particularly obvious on the Power Up stream with that Val player trying to traverse Peacock's obstacle course of bullshit with that slow moving airdash.

But doesn't Valentine have the highest super jump? I don't have access to my PS3 so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure her super jump is high enough to avoid Peacock's (and Marie's) bullshit.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Valentine can get super high into the air, where the only thing that can hit is the item drop, but then she can't shoot bullets and you can just get in on her or even just hang out and throw poison, if you're careful with it you can also use alpha blade. Once you get in on her peacock has a really hard time getting her out because all of valentines normals are bigger then her body

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 16, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I'm talking about feel more than balance since it's impossible to comment on balance at this point.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ether posted:

Is this just conformation bias on getting the timing better or is it a mandatory controller for fighting games in general. (loved it, but drat, a good stick costs quite a bit)

It's kinda sorta mandatory. People will be quick to jump up and say "Hey! You don't have to use a joystick!" and they'll cite 2 or maybe 3 tournament players who use controllers (versus the dozens and dozens of high-level tournament players who use joysticks), but realistically, these games are designed to be played on sticks and they make more sense that way in the long run. You "could" play on a Guitar Hero controller if you really wanted to, and I'm sure there's someone out there who could mop up mediocre players that way, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I mean, Broly can play with his tongue and half of a crippled hand, but I'd still rather have arms.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Brosnan posted:

It's kinda sorta mandatory. People will be quick to jump up and say "Hey! You don't have to use a joystick!" and they'll cite 2 or maybe 3 tournament players who use controllers (versus the dozens and dozens of high-level tournament players who use joysticks), but realistically, these games are designed to be played on sticks and they make more sense that way in the long run. You "could" play on a Guitar Hero controller if you really wanted to, and I'm sure there's someone out there who could mop up mediocre players that way, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I mean, Broly can play with his tongue and half of a crippled hand, but I'd still rather have arms.

Yes but if you're not gonna play that much/aren't serious enough to bring over your fight stick to people's houses when it's time to play a stick is a waste of money 90% of the time. Look at all the people that bought sticks when SF4 came out because they keep losing then they realize they are just not very good and stop playing and go sell it.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

ether posted:

Bought this because the animations are stunning and colorful, but as a new player it is quite hard to get to grips with. Made the first playthrough of story mode sweeter though.

Getting very good on a pad is doable but requires ridinkolous amounts of work compared to learning stick. Plus playing on stick is about 50 times more enjoyable in my opinion.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think a huge part of sticklove is based on nostalgia. I know for me just hearing those clacky button presses tickles some part of my brain that's still trapped in the 90s. If there were a controller with decent shoulder buttons I would have no problem believing it was superior. Something like the playstation ones, but in a place that wasn't ridiculously uncomfortable to hold.

Oh god I just realized the N64 had the best fighting game controller.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Rocketlex posted:

The difference in a fighting game is that you can play it without having learned it, and subsequently you can lose at it without learning it. You can't lose a game of chess simply because your opponent knows how the rooks move and you don't. It doesn't work like that. There are many, many, many mechanics to learn in Skullgirls, such that a person who knows them is going to have an advantage over a person who doesn't. This isn't "skill" or "mastery," however, but an advantage of information, which is a different thing.

You are seriously oversimplifying what it takes to be competent at chess.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
In all seriousness, when you're playing Chess against somebody who's never seriously played it, you can be drat sure that you'll kick their rear end because they don't understand knight movement.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Having the "advantage of information" is a thing that happens in every game, no matter how simple.

The more you play, the more knowledge you have on various interactions, which is information.

The experience advantage in chess is an information advantage. That's how you win.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not to mention that the actual, truly fundamental mechanics of fighting games aren't that much more complicated, at least in the sense that a human player interacts with them.

Combos (or mixups, or zoning, etc.) might be more esoteric than "how does a rook move" but that's because the two concepts aren't analagous; combos aren't fundamental mechanics, they're derived mechanics built from simpler rules.

It would be more appropriate to compare them to specific openings or gambits -- although that might be going too far and comparing them to something more complex and interactive than they are.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Carrying a pad is a little less of a hassle than carrying a stick.

Of course it's a lot easier to get a pad stolen if you're not careful of the less scrupulous people at tournaments big or small.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Now what's it like knowing Peacock has some of the faster airdashes? Fastest air backdash in the game as well as a forward dash that drops you straight to the ground right into your ground dash. :smug:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Count Bleck posted:

Now what's it like knowing Peacock has some of the faster airdashes? Fastest air backdash in the game as well as a forward dash that drops you straight to the ground right into your ground dash. :smug:

plus the only teleport in the game. Peacock is easily the character most able to get in on Peacock.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Count Bleck posted:

Peacock easily has the best mobility in the game without question. she pretty much is cable, and has the tools to actually be a keep away character.

Id say filia has the second best with MF being third.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Nerokerubina posted:

plus the only teleport in the game. Peacock is easily the character most able to get in on Peacock.

one on one? yes, but with selected assists like doubles butt slam or using parasouls sniper shot when she wiffs that super can easily get you a edge, as I pretty much abuse that against all peacocks

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't have much trouble getting in on peacock using double. Double's ground dash is pretty amazing if you know your spacing. Hornet bomber is also pretty good at punishing peacock when she tries to do stuff.

My favourite match is when my Peacock/double runs up against another peacock/double. It's a really fun game of fill the screen with poo poo. I'm often disappointed when it turns out they haven't bothered to learn how to play double at all though. :(
One of my friends started using peacock/double though! It's the best thing, it takes me back to the days of him using Guile and me using Dahlsim, only actually fun.

Edit: Really, Double's ground dash is almost another teleport.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 16, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

LibbyM posted:

I don't have much trouble getting in on peacock using double. Double's ground dash is pretty amazing if you know your spacing. Hornet bomber is also pretty good at punishing peacock when she tries to do stuff.

My favourite match is when my Peacock/double runs up against another peacock/double. It's a really fun game of fill the screen with poo poo. I'm often disappointed when it turns out they haven't bothered to learn how to play double at all though. :(
One of my friends started using peacock/double though! It's the best thing, it takes me back to the days of him using Guile and me using Dahlsim, only actually fun.

Edit: Really, Double's ground dash is almost another teleport.
I've started trying to learn how to actually play Double on point in an attempt to not be That Guy. I've got an okay BnB now, but I haven't figured out what to do with her in the neutral game. I end up just doing a lot of j.HP. If that works I hit confirm into a combo, if it doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Thinking about playing on pad, if you throw the mediums over to the left triggers that would let you hit any combination of buttons easily. No doubt it'd be less intuitive than a stick but it should be functionally identical. You could even plink in SF4/SFxT.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

I've started trying to learn how to actually play Double on point in an attempt to not be That Guy. I've got an okay BnB now, but I haven't figured out what to do with her in the neutral game. I end up just doing a lot of j.HP. If that works I hit confirm into a combo, if it doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Does double's relaunch starter of:

any hitconfirm into -> st. HK, j. lk (1 hit), j. mp (1 hit), j. FP (3 hits), land, st. mk, st. HK

Work on the whole cast? Do I have to adjust it for heavy characters or w/e?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Does double's relaunch starter of:

any hitconfirm into -> st. HK, j. lk (1 hit), j. mp (1 hit), j. FP (3 hits), land, st. mk, st. HK

Work on the whole cast? Do I have to adjust it for heavy characters or w/e?
That might work on the whole cast, not sure. I think it's only once you start doing three air chains in the same combo that you have to care about character weight. Right now what I'm doing is this:

Light Characters
(j.HP) c.LK, s.MP, s.HK, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HP, land, j.LP, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HK, land, (Avery hits) jump, j.LK, j.MK, Barrel xx Bionic Car

Heavy Characters
(j.HP) c.LK, s.MP, s.HK, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HP, land, j.LP, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HK, land, (Avery hits) s.LP, s.MP, s.HK, j.LK, j.MK, Barrel xx Bionic Car

Against Double, Cerebella, or Parasoul, after the second time you land they won't be floating high enough to have time to hit with j.LK, so you add in the part in bold to launch them again.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

That might work on the whole cast, not sure. I think it's only once you start doing three air chains in the same combo that you have to care about character weight. Right now what I'm doing is this:

Light Characters
(j.HP) c.LK, s.MP, s.HK, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HP, land, j.LP, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HK, land, (Avery hits) jump, j.LK, j.MK, Barrel xx Bionic Car

Heavy Characters
(j.HP) c.LK, s.MP, s.HK, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HP, land, j.LP, j.MP (2-3 hits), j.HK, land, (Avery hits) s.LP, s.MP, s.HK, j.LK, j.MK, Barrel xx Bionic Car

Against Double, Cerebella, or Parasoul, after the second time you land they won't be floating high enough to have time to hit with j.LK, so you add in the part in bold to launch them again.

Very nice!!

My combo ender is different, it works in training mode but I haven't gotten used to it enough to get to the end in matches yet so I don't know if a human can tech out of it or not:

j.MK, 214HK (Refrigerator), Dash, st. lk mk HP xx 623HK xx Super of choice

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Elephunk posted:

Very nice!!

My combo ender is different, it works in training mode but I haven't gotten used to it enough to get to the end in matches yet so I don't know if a human can tech out of it or not:

(jump in) LK/2LK MK x2 HK, j.LK(1hit) j.MP(1hit) j.HP, slight delay, MK HK, j.LP j.MP(1hit) j.HP, slight delay, LP MK HK, j.MK(2 hits) j.214MK, land, 2LK 4LK+HK do any super.

This works on Peacock, I have no clue if double will fall out of some of the air strings, but it should work on everyone but double for sure. Against heavier characters you can do x2 MKs during your ground strings into relaunch, and might be able to get a j.HP (2 hits) after the j.MK (2hits) and before the j.214MK.

The 2LK 4LK+HK ender is an OTG but it's 100% untechable, provided you do the 2LK fast enough.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Very nice!!

I had been doing the Fridge > Dash stuff but I found out yesterday that it doesn't work. I plugged in a second controller and set the MP button to turbo and taped down the dpad so it would tech as early as possible, and while it's technically still possible to get the OTG before they can tech, it's difficult enough that I don't feel like it's worthwhile. In the corner it's still very feasible though.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So I'm playing Ms. Fortune and i thought I had hammered out a combo in the training mode but when I take it online it just fails to connect. Maybe its just me being bad but they keep teching before my super hits. Combo is:

lp lk mp mk hk jump lp mp hk -> Berserker Barrage super (or whatever its called, qcf+PP).

Now I am unsure if this is a true combo or not. Also, any neat tricks for Ms. Fortune being come up with lately? Really digging her so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Honestly I don't really understand being confused by the game mechanics the game is very consistent with itself, and basically every time you have a question about the engine you can ask what would a good game do. Outside of the fact that tick-throws seem crazy strong.

I'm almost to the point now where I think posting combos is silly because everything is so intuitive all that matters is loops and who you can hit with each loop. I pretty much am just making up poo poo now and doing well. So far all the characters seem very balanced, Painwheel, Cerebella, Double feel like the obnoxious characters right now for super armor, grappler, and DAT DASH respectfully.

• Locked thread