Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

I'm afraid if I start NG++ I'll lose my 300K souls before getting through 1-1 to spend them :ohdear:

NG to NG+ is a jump. NG+ to NG++ is barely a step. Don't play like a drunkie and you'll probably be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

NG to NG+ is a jump. NG+ to NG++ is barely a step. Don't play like a drunkie and you'll probably be fine.

Luckily I'm pure white in world 1 so I won't have to deal with the dragon, but last time I got owned by the guys on that bridge.

Also I'm still waiting to co-op ;)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

Luckily I'm pure white in world 1 so I won't have to deal with the dragon, but last time I got owned by the guys on that bridge.

Also I'm still waiting to co-op ;)

Some day, goddamn school man.

rednender
Mar 28, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Sadly isn't the word I'd use for buying Demon's Souls.

And you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't play it.

"Sadly," just in the fact that I am only discovering this game now. I'm looking forward to sitting down and putting in some hours with this game.

EC posted:

High five new Demons Souls buddy! I picked this game up recently as well, but haven't been able to tear myself away from Dark Souls to even put it into the PS3 yet.

I went into Dark Souls blind, only really looking at the wiki after I was most of the way through the game. Should I do the same here?

That's what I did with Dark Souls and I am doing the same with Demon's Souls. I figure, if you use a walk through, you're losing a lot of what this game is about. It's about exploring, dieing, learning, and overcoming.

So far, I am liking this game just as much as Dark Souls. It's a bit of a different animal. Some areas of game play seem more difficult, while others seem easier, but the differences are subtle. For example, back stabs seem more difficult. It'll be interesting to see how much I like it, having played Dark Souls first. I've read a few reviews of people who played Demon Soul's first and hated Dark Souls.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just remember that Demon's Souls has an item burden, so drop off any stuff you don't need with the guy in the Nexus every time you go back there. Also in Demon's Souls having a light character that can move fast gives you a big advantage.

rednender
Mar 28, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Just remember that Demon's Souls has an item burden, so drop off any stuff you don't need with the guy in the Nexus every time you go back there. Also in Demon's Souls having a light character that can move fast gives you a big advantage.

Quick question about dodging. I started as a Knight and noticed my dodging was abysmal. Can I fix my dodging by increasing my endurance and decreasing my item burden, or do I need to wear lighter armor?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rednender posted:

Quick question about dodging. I started as a Knight and noticed my dodging was abysmal. Can I fix my dodging by increasing my endurance and decreasing my item burden, or do I need to wear lighter armor?

Yeah, as long as your equip burden is less than 50% of your total available equip burden, you'll have good roll, not poop roll.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I often start as a Mirdan guy and run around just in pants for the early game to keep the fast roll.

If your shield won't save you your roll will. If your roll won't save you you're in trouble. Keep an eye on your stamina bar, Demon's will have you staggering much more than Dark.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I beat this game once by the skin of my teeth and then proceeded to devote huge swaths of my life to Dark Souls. I've turned that game inside out multiple times since then (at least until the DLC drops :swoon:), and now I want to go back and plat this game.

Does anyone have a solid, hand-holdy walkthrough for PS3 platinum? I checked out the OP and found this http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/platinum-trophy-guide but it's sparse and relies on a glitch that may (?) have been patched.

Cheers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The servers are finally going dark guys, I forget the exact date, but there's an announcement out.

:smith:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Sheep-Goats posted:

The servers are finally going dark guys, I forget the exact date, but there's an announcement out.

Midnight on May 31st.

RIP Demon's Souls servers, you almost died twice before but you came back to life and now you're dead for real :smith:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

We gotta pve before that!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Are they going to do any kind of patching to make changing World Tendancy work differently?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

We gotta pve before that!

Alright. Today's a good day I guess. I have to run some errands, maybe we can play a bit at 6pm EST?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The_White_Crane posted:

Are they going to do any kind of patching to make changing World Tendancy work differently?

They didn't say, but I doubt it. They said that they'd be doing world tendency events all throughout May though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
World tendency is easier to control in offline mode anyway. The big loss is the coop / pvp.

the sky
Jul 25, 2007

I saw that the announcement covered Atlus' US servers but couldn't see anything about the Asian version. Anyone know whether that's going to suffer the same fate (if it hasn't already :ohdear:)?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So if when I played Dark Souls I mostly stayed hollow, I probably won't miss the servers much?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Alright. Today's a good day I guess. I have to run some errands, maybe we can play a bit at 6pm EST?

A bit later would be better. If you put down a sign in 1-1 am I guaranteed to see it, or are there multiple servers?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

A bit later would be better. If you put down a sign in 1-1 am I guaranteed to see it, or are there multiple servers?

There's only one NA and one Asia server. We should have no trouble seeing signs, but may have trouble actually summoning eachother based on the vagaries of the nettiverse. Today isn't going to work though, my schedule is sickeningly tight for this next month. Maybe Monday afternoon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Op p x qq qq polloloaaa Sscl

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Op p x qq qq polloloaaa Sscl

What?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Figured I should pick this game up before the servers go down since I love Dark Souls so much.

I've gotta say - I'm not too far, I've only killed the Phalanx and the Tower Knight so far, but I really like this game. I think I even like it more than Dark Souls - it's harder, the combat feels faster and more action-y, and the boss fights so far have been great (I hear they get even better later).

Trying to play Dark Souls now is tough, it just feels so sluggish in comparison, and it always felt a little easy to me, but the difficulty in DeS feels just right.

Tower Knight was totally not something that I was expecting as the second boss in the game, that fight was awesome. Please tell me that later boss fights feel as unique as the first two did :allears:

Edit: I get this really weird feeling while playing that Demon's Souls is actually the sequel to Dark Souls, not the other way around. It just feels much better to me in nearly every regard (and I'm a huge Dark Souls fan!), the only things that aren't as nice are the graphics and animations.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 14, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Tower Knight was totally not something that I was expecting as the second boss in the game, that fight was awesome. Please tell me that later boss fights feel as unique as the first two did :allears:

You killed the Tower Knight very early compared to the route most people take. The bosses in this game are generally cool/exciting (if a bit more gimmicky than Dark Souls bosses), but where Demon's Souls really shines in my opinion is the environments. Tower of Latria in particular has some great atmosphere.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Yeah, I had read about people jumping around between worlds, but I'm planning to just go in blind and plow through one world at a time. I hope this is possible :(

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Yeah, I had read about people jumping around between worlds, but I'm planning to just go in blind and plow through one world at a time. I hope this is possible :(

Totally possible. The only exception that I can think of is that 1-3 (the area immediately after the Tower Knight's archstone) is closed off until you kill an Archdemon (end boss of one world). General recommendation for NG is to do Boletarian Palace after all of the other worlds have been cleared, at least that's my personal recommendation. :v:

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I wonder if they'll patch it so that the Monk's Head Collar will drop off the 3-3 boss since the servers are going down

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
So in honor of the servers going down, I've decided to try and see how far I can get without leveling up my character. Anyone care to join me? It sure would be nice to have some coop buddies for maneater and flamelurker.

EAThief posted:

I wonder if they'll patch it so that the Monk's Head Collar will drop off the 3-3 boss since the servers are going down
drat, I didn't think of that. They probably won't do anything about it, and that really sucks.

Lork fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 14, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

What?

Pocket phone had a seizure.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EAThief posted:

Rumour has it they're going to give it away to all players logged in on the last day the servers are up. They said there'll be a "surprise" or a "gift" or something if you're online then.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty big bummer this is happening so soon. We may have Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls is still a super awesome game with a really unique and cool online component. And being the single/multiplayer hybrid it is, shutting this down will make the entire thing never the same again. Gonna be a lonely world out there with no player messages, even if there isn't any reason to read them after the first couple playthroughs.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, coming to this game after playing Dark Souls for several hundred hours is like picking up a 2D Mario game: you may not know exactly what's ahead, but you know it's probably going to involve jumping on something. I'm parrying and backstabbing like a pro.

My first attempt at this game, well over a year ago, ended with me just not getting it at all. I kept dying over and over, and for whatever reason it didn't grab me the way the Undead Burg did. This time I feel much more equipped, even though I'm still adjusting to the PS3 controller. I haven't got to the first boss yet, but I'm having fun.

I'm posting because even though I haven't figured out any MP stuff, I'd like to add some goons that will be playing the game a lot until the servers go down. My PSN ID is NotECEC. I have zero friends on the PS3 since I don't usually play MP games.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

I just posted in the DeS thread looking for coop players. I literally have no friends on PSN. If anyone around here is still playing, add me: NotECEC. I'm only about 5 hours in, though, and going slow. I'd be a lot farther if I didn't get burned by a stupid drake four of five times (I didnt consider that a boss, more of an environmental challenge; hopefully I'll get a chance to kill it later).

I'm also strongly considering getting Dark Souls on the PS3. I don't even know why!

Crossposting from DkS so I don't start a DeS derail.

You can kill the Red Dragon with magic, melee, miracles, arrows or cause it to disappear permanently through a World Tendency event.

Specifically:
Melee it with a large weapon (Dragon Bone Smasher/Keel Smasher is good, Meat Cleaver works too) by standing slightly behind the lowest point of it's dive on the first bridge section on a pile of bodies and swinging as it comes down.

Shoot Soul Arrow/Ray at it from the first guard tower on the bridge, you can do it by quickly locking on as he comes in but free-aiming is better.

Poison/Toxic Cloud the bridge so he flies through it.

Firestorm as he comes down, same place you can melee him.

Arrows from pretty much anywhere.

Pure White World Tendency will cause the Red Dragon to disappear and his/her Blue partner to relocate, among other things.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I managed to get past the thing by timing my runs, although it was close when I ran into three dudes with crossbows and a blue eyed knight at the end.

Thanks for the advice though! I haven't even seen half the stuff you're talking about yet. I can't wait to dig in even more. I'm going for a DEC/INT build I think, using my starting rapier that I've upped to +5, although I just found Kris's weapon and i like the moveset quite a bit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

I managed to get past the thing by timing my runs, although it was close when I ran into three dudes with crossbows and a blue eyed knight at the end.

Thanks for the advice though! I haven't even seen half the stuff you're talking about yet. I can't wait to dig in even more. I'm going for a DEC/INT build I think, using my starting rapier that I've upped to +5, although I just found Kris's weapon and i like the moveset quite a bit.

For dex/int I like:
Moon Kilij +5; the fukken buzzsaw
Moon Estoc +5; shield pokes and backstabs
Sharp War Schyte +whatever; enchant with light weapon and two hand it for stupid damage

Other people like:
Moon Winged Spear +5; this plus a fatty shield like Purple Flame +10 or Brushwood +5 can solve 95% of Demon's Souls as safely as possible

Moon/Sharp uchi: the uchi is fast, can stab or sweep, and has decent damage.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

For dex/int I like:
Moon Kilij +5; the fukken buzzsaw
Moon Estoc +5; shield pokes and backstabs
Sharp War Schyte +whatever; enchant with light weapon and two hand it for stupid damage

Other people like:
Moon Winged Spear +5; this plus a fatty shield like Purple Flame +10 or Brushwood +5 can solve 95% of Demon's Souls as safely as possible

Moon/Sharp uchi: the uchi is fast, can stab or sweep, and has decent damage.

I'll keep an eye out for all of those. I take it Moon is the upgrade path that works with INT? I haven't met a blacksmith that'll do that yet. I'm trying to figure everything out by myself on my first run. There's something special about not knowing anything that's about to happen.

I do have a quick question on stats, though: is there any one stat that I shouldn't put points into? Like RES in DkS? I just don't wanna waste any precious souls on anything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

I'll keep an eye out for all of those. I take it Moon is the upgrade path that works with INT? I haven't met a blacksmith that'll do that yet. I'm trying to figure everything out by myself on my first run. There's something special about not knowing anything that's about to happen.

I do have a quick question on stats, though: is there any one stat that I shouldn't put points into? Like RES in DkS? I just don't wanna waste any precious souls on anything.

LUK. Don't invest in it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Moon actually doesn't scale much, Crescent scales more but it never catches up to Moon's much higher base damage.

There are only two blacksmiths in Demon's, the bullshit one in the nexus and the one that actually does all the worthwhile upgrades. Be aware in advance that the uprade system is MUCH more opaque and complicated. Before you upgrade anything past +5 look up what you're aiming for on the wiki because mistakes can be costly to the point of irreversibility when you're taking upgrades.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just chased a crystal lizard off of a ledge. :(

Edit: these things popping out of the ground (after fighting the Armor Spider) are just ripped up by soul arrows. My rapier does maybe 16 points of damage but souls arrows are doing like 1100!

EC fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

I just chased a crystal lizard off of a ledge. :(

Edit: these things popping out of the ground (after fighting the Armor Spider) are just ripped up by soul arrows. My rapier does maybe 16 points of damage but souls arrows are doing like 1100!

The worms take bonus damage if you hit em in the mouth/head and are weak to magic!

• Locked thread