Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is it worth getting some extra faith on my guy at level 40? I'm just through Sens fortress and have like 67000 souls from cooping but I've mostly leveled vitality and endurance and stopped dexterity at 20ish so I could use a katana. I only have 12 right now so I'm not sure if it's too late to really get anything useful but it would be cool to have some spell casting of some sort.

I also had the weirdest co-op experience at the Sen's Fortress boss. I got summoned and the guy apparently forgot to kill the fire throwing giant so we were getting bombarded and pulled him back to the entryway bridge. After jabbing him in the ankles a bunch he crouched over and it looked like he just fell over the side of the bridge. I didn't think you could kill bosses like that but the victory message came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well I got chaos servant to +2.

The shortcut won't go away if I join another right?

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Because I think it's relevant for the newcomers to the thread, I'd like to remind everyone that I did an exhaustive series of boss guides! They are all based around using equipment that is readily available in and around the bosses themselves, so none of the strategies rely on any magic, pyromancy, or ridiculously early upgrades.

For those with Capra woes see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FcxQJRVZg

To Fortuitous Bumble, knocking off the Iron Golem is a legitimate strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiRXu-Bnko

If anyone is interested in watching all of the fights, here is the link to the playlist, my favorites are the Ornstein and Smough fight and, of course, the Four Kings: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL897433F2BFD5EFFF&feature=view_all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alteisen posted:

Once the door's open, no matter how it opened, it stays open for the rest of the game.

(this is really important: go open it, right now, before you gently caress up and quit the covenant)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ledneh posted:

(this is really important: go open it, right now, before you gently caress up and quit the covenant)

To loving late. :ughh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, thanks to two nice phantoms I've beaten my second playthrough without any frustration and minimal death. I'm disappointed that I'll have to go through the Duke's Archives and the Crystal Caves again for that last blue titanite slab, but I can live with it. Only need to make two boss weapons and max out my magic weapon and I have platinum.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Category Fun! posted:

Haha, I bet you really did think you were prepared :allears:

By prepared, I mean that I had moved out of arm's reach anything I could possibly throw against a wall.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fuckin' Capra Demon, I went up to it even KNOWING how bad it was going to be, and I had a super-mega phantom guy summoned at my side who could kill anything in one hit and we still both died to that drat goat. Either I'm worse at this game than I remembered or I got rusty or...ffff.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

To loving late. :ughh:

:aslol: Consider it a learning experience, that does suck though. If you haven't hit Izalith yet, you can rejoin and get back to that rank and open it.

e: In all honesty I've never used the "shortcut", it doesn't seem to skip much and giving that much humanity to the Fair Lady takes forever.

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 16, 2012

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

If you just joined another covenant rather than leaving through the guy in the first belltower I think you stay at Chaos Servant+1, so you only have to give the spider lady 10 humanity to get back up to +2 again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chard posted:

:aslol: Consider it a learning experience, that does suck though. If you haven't hit Izalith yet, you can rejoin and get back to that rank and open it.

e: In all honesty I've never used the "shortcut", it doesn't seem to skip much and giving that much humanity to the Fair Lady takes forever.

It skips the annoying part by virtue of throwing you in front of a mini boss that respawns. You do have to go that way to see a side quest to completion, though.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Killed Seath a little while earlier by pelting him with arrows. If he wasn't blind before, the 50 odd arrows in his eyes sure as hell made him blind.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It skips the annoying part by virtue of throwing you in front of a mini boss that respawns. You do have to go that way to see a side quest to completion, though.

You can just run around that miniboss if you don't want to fight it.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Chard posted:

You monster :mad:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Duke posted:

If you just joined another covenant rather than leaving through the guy in the first belltower I think you stay at Chaos Servant+1, so you only have to give the spider lady 10 humanity to get back up to +2 again.

Guess its time to murder some rats.

Sewers are the best place for farming right?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Alteisen posted:

Guess its time to murder some rats.

Sewers are the best place for farming right?

3rd best, depending. Where are you at in the game?

They are an excellent spot but the baby skeletons and picasas are better.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
If you've done or want to do Duke's Archives, Pisacas are a great place to farm lots of humanity and lots of souls at the same time.

vvv: Yeah, I had 99 Homeward Bones when I entered, used about 50 of them (took around an hour, hour and a half) and walked away with 99 humanity and about 400k souls (NG).

I was farming them with WoG, though, two casts kills the entire room, usually leaving you with 2-4 humanity and 10k souls. I've also done it with Greater Soul Arrow, it one-shots the Pisacas and you can shoot it from outside of their aggro range.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 16, 2012

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

If you've done or want to do Duke's Archives, Pisacas are a great place to farm lots of humanity and lots of souls at the same time.

Supporting this. Spent about 2.5-3 hours today at Pisacas and came out with about 701k souls and 90 humanity. Put on the covetous ring and make sure you have 10 liquid humanities and you're gold. Also use Quelaag's furysword 2 handed to get 1 hit kills. If you have the luxury of using the homeward miracle, do it. It would probably nearly double the results. I totally forgot about buying homeward, so I had to run back up the stairs every time I cleared them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, playthrough three looks like it'll go by faster than the time I spent fruitlessly trying to grind slabs off of butterflies. I've died twice, once to the Bell Gargoyle and once to the Capra Demon. I was just being dumb against the gargoyles, but my low health/endurance is what killed me when I fought Capra. It seems that after taking two hits from the dogs, the Capra's overhead swing was enough to break through the rest of my endurance and nearly kill me. I also had a close call with the greatsword Black Knight, we traded blows and I killed him while he left me at 11 health. That was pretty cool. I just killed Gaping Dragon (forgot to kill the Channeler, that nearly killed me as well) but I'm on my way to Blighttown now.

I regret going for 50 strength/faith for Grant and the Sunlight Spear miracle, don't do this people. Not worth it. I should have went for 40 in both and endurance/vitality, but oh well. Live and learn.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, playthrough three looks like it'll go by faster than the time I spent fruitlessly trying to grind slabs off of butterflies. I've died twice, once to the Bell Gargoyle and once to the Capra Demon. I was just being dumb against the gargoyles, but my low health/endurance is what killed me when I fought Capra. It seems that after taking two hits from the dogs, the Capra's overhead swing was enough to break through the rest of my endurance and nearly kill me. I also had a close call with the greatsword Black Knight, we traded blows and I killed him while he left me at 11 health. That was pretty cool. I just killed Gaping Dragon (forgot to kill the Channeler, that nearly killed me as well) but I'm on my way to Blighttown now.

I regret going for 50 strength/faith for Grant and the Sunlight Spear miracle, don't do this people. Not worth it. I should have went for 40 in both and endurance/vitality, but oh well. Live and learn.

I would've traded you a Blue Slab as I'm in your level range but also have no internet on anything but my phone for like, a month :I

I think I'm done with Dark Souls until the DLC/PC version hits, once you get into NG++ the main reason to keep playing becomes online stuff.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been to duke's archives but I can access them, will head on over there then.

Thanks guys.

Also, who makes boss weapons anyway, I have a shitload of boss souls and nothing to use them on.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

I haven't been to duke's archives but I can access them, will head on over there then.

Thanks guys.

Also, who makes boss weapons anyway, I have a shitload of boss souls and nothing to use them on.
The demon blacksmith in Anor Londo makes boss weapons.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So I'm on the rooftops of Anor Londo and I'm wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do? There's these two giant archer guys way off in the distance who keep hitting me with their perfectly accurate arrows that knock me over and take off 1/6 of my health. I keep getting sniped by them while trying to fight these lightning gargoyles, or if I simply run up to the archers themselves I get knocked over because I'm on about an inch of ground and there are two of them.

I literally cannot proceed past this point and I can't find any alternate routes. Am I just missing something super blatant?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

For the two pink demons that hide, I like to shoot an arrow in front of each to bait them out and then hit them both. They can't get up the pathway to you, and usually if you keep hitting the front demon the second will fall off the edge and die. You can take care of the first one out of the sniper's range safely however you choose now. As for the snipers, they're dicks and I hate them forever. I like to snipe the left one from one of the walkways (there's one just to the left of the walkway that leads to the pink demon ambush, or you can use the walled walkway where they shoot at you just past the ambush). After that, you just have to run for it. If you can get close enough they'll abandon the bows in favor of a sword and shield, and the right sniper likes to walk off the edge. You can also summon helpers to split their attention, people like to put summon signs where the first gargoyle miniboss was. If you can get past there, you should be fine. The third bonfire of the map is just past that in the first room to the left.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would've traded you a Blue Slab as I'm in your level range but also have no internet on anything but my phone for like, a month :I

I think I'm done with Dark Souls until the DLC/PC version hits, once you get into NG++ the main reason to keep playing becomes online stuff.

Thanks, I appreciate the thought even so. I'm still open to that trade, though! If I get that by the time I get to the giant blacksmith I can save myself some trouble by not having to fight the boss or go through another area entirely.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 16, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Just nailed O&S to the wall with my SL1 character. Any XBL goons also at SL1 interested in assisting on Sif and the 4 kings?

I'm in! Let me know what time you want to tackle them. I won't be on Live much as I'm playing DeS, but send me a PM here or something.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Where are good PVP spots for a dude at SL 115? I was doing pretty well hanging around the Duke's Archives but after I killed the boss and began invading instead of being invaded (I don't like how you can use the red eye orb and then be invaded while looking for another player and have to wait again, it's dumb!!) was this single high-level guy spamming WotG and backstabbing me :argh:

The Forest and the Kiln are where people hang out looking for fights. You can invade anywhere, though, at that level is try Undesd Burg and Blighttown.

If you don't like being invaded, just clear the boss of that area.

Alteisen posted:

To need to stay +2 in the cov until you actually open the shortcut.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Or creating gimmick builds, getting them to SL40, and never touching them again. :v:

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Let's continue the street fighter run!

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

I'm also taking gimmick run requests!

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Alabaster White posted:

So I'm on the rooftops of Anor Londo and I'm wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do? There's these two giant archer guys way off in the distance who keep hitting me with their perfectly accurate arrows that knock me over and take off 1/6 of my health. I keep getting sniped by them while trying to fight these lightning gargoyles, or if I simply run up to the archers themselves I get knocked over because I'm on about an inch of ground and there are two of them.

I literally cannot proceed past this point and I can't find any alternate routes. Am I just missing something super blatant?

Hahaha gently caress those archers.

You've got to run up the right side and kill one of them.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Those archers suck. I ended up cheesing it by finding a point about 1/3 up the walkway towards them (right after the two gargoyles, but before the steeple at the midpoint) where their arrows were getting intercepted by the rails on the walkway. Then I either took my time and just plinked them to death or probably used poison arrows

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Alabaster White posted:

You can kite the two pincer attacking gargoyles back up the ramp, but unfortunately there is no skipping the archers as the way you want to go takes you literally right past where the one on the right is standing. Couple of ways people handle them:

1) 6 poison arrows will kill one. hit with 3, let poison work, hit with 3 more, watch it die. This is probably the least risky, but I could never make it work because of the timing and the range of my bow vs. theirs.

2) Kamikaze run straight up the ramp, and all the way up to the corner of the wall where the right side archer hangs out, with your highest stability shield. The second archer won't be able to hit you from here, and the first archer will switch to melee. Sometimes he'll just footwork himself off the cliff, sometimes you'll have to fight him but if you still have the lightning spear from Sen's Fortress he'll go down at little risk to you. Be sure to have your back angled towards the wall so hits don't send you off the edge

3) If you have hidden body or a ring of fog, it makes tactic 2) a lot easier

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EC posted:

Or creating gimmick builds, getting them to SL40, and never touching them again. :v:

I'm waiting until the PC version to start doing that :v: It'll give me a push to play through the game on a fresh character if I have a gimmick I'm chasing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

waspinator posted:

Let's continue the street fighter run!

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

I'm also taking gimmick run requests!

Do a no lock-on run. Wear the pig hat because it's the best.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just got a hold of a PS3, Demon Souls in the console. Opening cutscene starting, so excited!

e: holy poo poo magic feels like cheating

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 16, 2012

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I got sucked into the painting and am currently beating up Phalanx repeatedly because hey, free souls. Once I leave here, is this a place I can come back to, or is this stage just a one-off?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

nominal posted:

I got sucked into the painting and am currently beating up Phalanx repeatedly because hey, free souls. Once I leave here, is this a place I can come back to, or is this stage just a one-off?

You can return however you like, but you're never allowed to just warp out. Every time you enter you have to go to the end again to get out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nominal posted:

You'll always be able to come back. You'll even have the option to skip the boss if you manage not to aggro her.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
Decided to make PvP a bit more interesting. I'm around level 75, wearing Onion Bro armour and weilding a +13 large club and jagged ghost blade. I find the mark, use Power Within and parry-riposte one shot people all day (hornet ring too.) I have never been indiceted so much in one night. I think it's because the ghost blade's parry animation is (almost) completely hidden under the folds of onion armour, but is that really a reason to get indiceted (occasional rage message too) by Giant's armour BKGA WoG spammers?

There be no justice on Xbox Live.

e:
oh yeah, does anyone know if having a higher level pyro hand makes Power Within stronger or will that just make it kill you faster? I don't have a second pyro hand (gave it to crow) so I can't test it it out.

RADmadness fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 16, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I love getting indicted. I went around dropping indictments for people before killing them for awhile. I'm up to around 300, even with people not understanding that you can use more than one indictment at a time.

But yes, people on XBL get butt hurt when you kill them. Which makes killing them even better. :getin:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This bridge dragon area is really making me feel at home in Demon Souls.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Zereth posted:

Have you been using the bottomless box glitch?

Yes, but it's only happened with this character out of at least 5 others made with the same method...weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

RADmadness posted:

e:
oh yeah, does anyone know if having a higher level pyro hand makes Power Within stronger or will that just make it kill you faster? I don't have a second pyro hand (gave it to crow) so I can't test it it out.

It definitely kills you faster.

• Locked thread