Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

evil_bunnY posted:

2200 is still a bit stiff, but yeah there's little point to having a dude who could be billing 4 hours to another customer drive down to your office to change 2 lines on your external interfaces.

Yeah, that's why you send an intern that is capable of breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tremblay posted:

Yeah, that's why you send an intern that is capable of breathing.
We never had those in any great numbers, and the few we had wouldn't interact with customers. It makes sense though.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am in a cisco class, so I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

The chapter we are covering at the moment is all about OSPF. I felt all smug because I totally "got it" until I took the Cisco assessment. Now I am just confused!

In any given multiaccess network, assuming all routers are running OSPF with the same area, should there not be only one Designated Router and one Backup Designated Router?

I ask this because the assessment came out of no where with possible answers such as (pick three):

HQ will be DR for 10.4.0.0/16.
Router A will be DR for 10.4.0.0/16.
HQ will be BDR for 10.4.0.0/16.
Router A will be DR for 10.5.0.0/16.
Remote will be DR for 10.5.0.0/16.
Remote will be BDR for 10.5.0.0/16.

In other words, there are separate DR and BDR routers for each network? Given that, I can understand the answers, but I am still stuck on my idea that within any area there should only be a single DR and a single BDR.

I would repost the diagram/question verbatim but I am not sure that is kosher. This is a question for my instructor, I know, but the next class is our exam :/. I was feeling pretty chipper until I hit this.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

There are third-party vendors who will be happy to take your money in exchange for software support! :haw:
Software support? :confused:

Does such a thing really exist? I keep paying for Smartnet for fear that I'll need a software update.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am in a cisco class, so I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

The chapter we are covering at the moment is all about OSPF. I felt all smug because I totally "got it" until I took the Cisco assessment. Now I am just confused!

In any given multiaccess network, assuming all routers are running OSPF with the same area, should there not be only one Designated Router and one Backup Designated Router?

I ask this because the assessment came out of no where with possible answers such as (pick three):

HQ will be DR for 10.4.0.0/16.
Router A will be DR for 10.4.0.0/16.
HQ will be BDR for 10.4.0.0/16.
Router A will be DR for 10.5.0.0/16.
Remote will be DR for 10.5.0.0/16.
Remote will be BDR for 10.5.0.0/16.

In other words, there are separate DR and BDR routers for each network? Given that, I can understand the answers, but I am still stuck on my idea that within any area there should only be a single DR and a single BDR.

I would repost the diagram/question verbatim but I am not sure that is kosher. This is a question for my instructor, I know, but the next class is our exam :/. I was feeling pretty chipper until I hit this.

Only one BDR per Area, yes. Are you sure all networks are in the same area?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Might be thinking of the backbone area 0 instead of the hierarchical areas.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as I remember each broadcast domain holds a DR/BDR election so that question makes sense assuming this is the same topology I'm looking at, which I got by googling part of your question.

e: So each segment has its own DR/BDR. I don't remember there being any limitations on how many DR/BDR pairs you can have in an area. You've only got one ASBR, and each sub-area probably has one ABR (obviously area 0 would have more if necessary) with the exception of that stub garbage, but I think those are the only area-specific limitations?

Of course I could have just spouted enough bullshit for Cisco to come revoke my CCNA, which I feel would be entirely justified seeing as how I haven't used it in a year+ :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 17, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

bort posted:

Software support? :confused:

Does such a thing really exist? I keep paying for Smartnet for fear that I'll need a software update.

Yeah, I doubt they'll be supplying IOS images, but they'll be happy to take your money and maybe give some configuration support.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Most of the third party support vendors I've encountered will provide hardware replacement and configuration assistance. This is great until you run into a bug.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

As far as I remember each broadcast domain holds a DR/BDR election so that question makes sense assuming this is the same topology I'm looking at, which I got by googling part of your question.

e: So each segment has its own DR/BDR. I don't remember there being any limitations on how many DR/BDR pairs you can have in an area. You've only got one ASBR, and each sub-area probably has one ABR (obviously area 0 would have more if necessary) with the exception of that stub garbage, but I think those are the only area-specific limitations?

Of course I could have just spouted enough bullshit for Cisco to come revoke my CCNA, which I feel would be entirely justified seeing as how I haven't used it in a year+ :(

Yes. Each broadcast domain elects a DR/BDR.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Jelmylicious posted:

Only one BDR per Area, yes. Are you sure all networks are in the same area?

It claims they are.

Hopefully it is not too wrong to post the question text?

"Refer to the exhibit. The routers in the exhibit are using default OSPF configuration settings to advertise all attached networks. If all of the routers start at the same time, what will be the result of the DR and BDR elections for this single area OSPF network? (Choose three.) "

Google should find you the picture easy enough.

Martytoof posted:

That makes sense, I suppose. My concern is that this is a very brief introductory chapter to OSPF and it has so far assumed that there is only one area and it doesn't even talk about hierarchies.

And if each broadcast domain has a DR and BDR, wouldn't that mean each interface of a router/each network has a DR and BDR? How is that helping to cut down flooding??

I don't know what I am talking about.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

And if each broadcast domain has a DR and BDR, wouldn't that mean each interface of a router/each network has a DR and BDR? How is that helping to cut down flooding??

It cuts down on flooding on the broadcast segment. Without DR/BDR elections every router on a broadcast segment would need to flood their updates to every other router on the broadcast subnet (we all love RIP right?). With DR/BDR the routers unicast updates to the DR/BDR who then multicast best paths down to the all-ospf-routers (224.0.0.5) multicast group.

So on a 16 router segment, you're down to 12% of the original non-unicast traffic if you didn't have DR/BDR.

-edit-
correction, non-designated routers send advertisements to the all-designated-routers (224.0.0.6) multicast group (which the DR/BDR both join).
-/edit-

Also stop confusing dr/bdr with areas. dr/bdr are an optimization for broadcast networks, so no matter what area, or type of area, if a broadcast medium is involved there will be a dr/bdr election on each and ever broadcast segment.

Also to return to the initial question, dr/bdr status is based on 2 things:
1) priority, priority always wins.
2) when priority is equal, highest OSPF RID wins. OSPF RID defaults to your highest loopback interface or, if no loopbacks are found, your highest numbered interface.

So since it says default setting, the priorities are all 1, what are the RIDs?

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 17, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

When there are more than 2 routers on a subnet. Imagine if there were 5 routers connected in the same network via one switch, things would start getting very busy if all you had were L2 devices instead.

^^^That makes more sense than what I said, I wasn't even thinking about RIP

Fatal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 17, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

That makes sense, I suppose. My concern is that this is a very brief introductory chapter to OSPF and it has so far assumed that there is only one area and it doesn't even talk about hierarchies.

This is correct. In this instance the amount of areas is irrelevant. There can be 20 ethernet networks in area 0. As long as each network is its own broadcast domain then each network will elect a DR/BDR. The only places where the DR/BDR relationship doesn't happen is across p2p links (iirc).

You may be confusing "network" with "area" in this instance, I can't be 100% certain but I think that might be the case.

And your last question is exactly what happens (given a certain topology I mean, it's hard to be general about this). Assuming that they are the only two routers on the network then yes there is a chance that every interface will be brought up in a DR/BDR relationship. If there are three or more routers on that network segment then it depends entirely on the election process.

So here you have four separate networks, each one is in area 0 (not diagramed). Each link elects a DR/BDR because they are broadcast networks and they are the only two routers on each network.

If we throw a bunch of other routers onto the 10.0.3.0/24 network all of a sudden the need for a DR/BDR becomes evident. If you didn't elect two then all five routers would try to yak their route updates to each other. Obviously in this scenario I fixed the Router IDs so R3 and R4 would still be elected, but it could have easily been one of the others with a little priority tweaking.

It may seem wasteful for each router to elect a DR/BDR on a two router network, but it's just infrastructure for a scenario where you'd add more routers. And honestly it's not really that wasteful.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 17, 2012

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Martytoof posted:

It may seem wasteful for each router to elect a DR/BDR on a two router network, but it's just infrastructure for a scenario where you'd add more routers. And honestly it's not really that wasteful.

It is wasteful (of link turn-up time). Which is why Cisco provides the wonderful 'ip ospf network point-to-point' command. We run this on all our p-t-p Ethernet links to suppress DR/BDR election.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I happily concede to someone with more practical experience in the field :)

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Anyone here have experience with circuit emulation? We're looking at the ASR 901 and/or MWR 2941 for RAN backhaul.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
There was a post a while ago about being denied SW to fix a PSIRT issue. Just a heads up the policy is that fixed code will be provided for free regardless of contract coverage. If you get denied by the folks when you first call up the magic word is "Escalate".

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What are the requirements for CompactFlash cards to work in Cisco devices? I'm specifically talking about a Sup720 in a 7606, I've got a 4GB Kingston card, formatted as FAT16, formatted in the supervisor in that chassis. I put an IOS image on it with my PC, it shows up fine on my PC, but I stick it in the supervisor and the card shows as empty! I then format the card in the supervisor again, stick it back in my PC and the IOS image is still there. I don't know how this could be happening.

Do only specific cards work? Can anyone think of a way to explain what I'm witnessing? Can anyone recommend some 3rd party CompactFlash cards that will work and I can get quickly in the UK please?

Edit: The device is currently running c7600s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.S2.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 19, 2012

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Anjow posted:

What are the requirements for CompactFlash cards to work in Cisco devices? I'm specifically talking about a Sup720 in a 7606, I've got a 4GB Kingston card, formatted as FAT16, formatted in the supervisor in that chassis. I put an IOS image on it with my PC, it shows up fine on my PC, but I stick it in the supervisor and the card shows as empty! I then format the card in the supervisor again, stick it back in my PC and the IOS image is still there. I don't know how this could be happening.

Do only specific cards work? Can anyone think of a way to explain what I'm witnessing? Can anyone recommend some 3rd party CompactFlash cards that will work and I can get quickly in the UK please?

Edit: The device is currently running c7600s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.S2.

IME (based on ISR work) 4GB is pushing it. If you dir flash does it report a 4GB size? I used to find 4GB would report -3GB size

What I used to do was use a Linux distro and partition it to a 512MB or 1GB size

And the Sup720 maybe picky about what CF works

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nzspambot posted:

IME (based on ISR work) 4GB is pushing it. If you dir flash does it report a 4GB size? I used to find 4GB would report -3GB size

What I used to do was use a Linux distro and partition it to a 512MB or 1GB size

And the Sup720 maybe picky about what CF works
Reinventing the wheel and getting it wrong :laugh:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I searched but didn't get much in the way of this so I thought I would ask...

I'm considering picking up a SG300-10 or -20 just to gently caress around with on my home network. I want to start with VLANs, tagging ports, etc and just really see how much I can learn and get comfortable with. Is this a good switch for this? Anyone have any advice?

It might be important to note that I am not living in the US right now so there is basically no secondhand market to get cheap IT gear on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're looking for IOS experience you won't find it on the SG300 as they don't run it. You would almost certainly be better off trying to find a pair of secondhand 2950 switches, despite your location :(

Are you looking to also use this at home like a normal switch? Because an IOS managed 10/100/1000 switch is going to set you back more than either of those.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
hahaha holy gently caress, even on ebay the 8-port 2960g is $700 (seriously, don't buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170827501321)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 19, 2012

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Posted this in the certification thread, but figure I'll post it here too since I haven't heard anything over there.

Anyone have any guesses on when Cisco will be refreshing the CCNP? I need to renew my NA in the next year, so I should get cracking on it. I see the official Cisco cert library was released in early 2010. Is there any rumblings how how often they refresh and screw me out of $100 in books? I can probably take the CCNA Voice in the meantime since that book was put out about 6 months ago, and I don't expect it to be obsoleted for awhile. Ideas?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Surely a 2950 should be easilly found right? Every company I've worked for 2950's are sitting around and you can probably grab them for free. The old rear end routers are more expensive/rarer but simple switches should be easy to find.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn't Cisco just refresh the CCNP in 2008-abouts? I wouldn't expect updates anytime soon.

That is to say, they went from BCMSN/ISCW/BSCI/ONT to ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT and moved topics around. I doubt you'll be screwed out of books any time soon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

Surely a 2950 should be easilly found right? Every company I've worked for 2950's are sitting around and you can probably grab them for free. The old rear end routers are more expensive/rarer but simple switches should be easy to find.

Yeah, but he's looking at SG300 gigabit switches, hoping for IOS. Cisco Catalysts don't do full gigabit ports unless you're looking at a 2960G or better. 2950's are all FE + GE

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Right I agree, but for home use 10/100 is fine. If he wants to learn IOS a 2950 should be great and it is still a passable switch for actual use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless you have ears :q:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Quick question, say I have a subnet, 192.168.10.x/24 on two switches, and one server's faulty NIC is an APIPA address and starts a broadcast that floods the switches and brings the network down to a crawl, why would I not see this broadcast traffic in promiscuous mode on wireshark if I have a span session configured on the vlan?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is your wireshark filter just missing the traffic? Are you looking at the unwrapped Frames at the IP Payload and just not seeing an APIPA address, or are you looking for "all broadcasts" and just not seeing the traffic?

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

CrazyLittle posted:

hahaha holy gently caress, even on ebay the 8-port 2960g is $700 (seriously, don't buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170827501321)

I wasn't paying attention and accidently bought one of these the other day:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-Catalyst-3550-GBIC-12-Port-GIGABIT-SWITCH-WS-C3550-12G-/330718726981

I meant to get the 1000BASE-T version which is a C3550-12T. If any one knows of the a cheaper 1GbE switch that runs IOS, I would like to know.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You have the right destination port in your span session?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It might be important to note that I am not living in the US right now so there is basically no secondhand market to get cheap IT gear on.
Depending on where you are I have a pair of Procurve 6108 switches I could ship to you for fairly cheap. They are layer 3 gigabit switches. Not IOS obviously, but still great for a home lab.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
2970G is the cheapest IOS running TX/copper switch that Cisco has. ~$300 ballpark used. WS-C2970G-24TS-E is 28 ports with four SFPs but is 1.5U.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys. Getting some of this stuff in eastern Europe can lead to eye watering price tags. I'm not strictly tied to Cisco by any means (we use HP at work). As far as I know, those are the only two players in town. So I will keep checking around and investigating.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Powercrazy posted:

Is your wireshark filter just missing the traffic? Are you looking at the unwrapped Frames at the IP Payload and just not seeing an APIPA address, or are you looking for "all broadcasts" and just not seeing the traffic?

In wireshark I was capturing all traffic, no filters. I did see broadcasts but not anything coming from the faulty NIC. Link layer capture was ethernet.

quote:

You have the right destination port in your span session?

Here is my span session details, 997 is the arbitrary vlan the traffic was on, wireshark was plugged into 4/9

Destination : Port 4/9
Admin Source : Port 3/5
Oper Source : None
Direction : transmit/receive
Incoming Packets: disabled
Learning : enabled
Multicast : enabled
Filter : 997

Also this particular problem is another example of why you don't run a layer 2 wan link, this broadcast traffic was flooding a TLS circuit killing their connectivity to their colo'd servers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powercrazy posted:

Right I agree, but for home use 10/100 is fine.

Not if you have a home server. Crushing a 100mbit connection is trivial for a single user to do moving large files around, gigabit not so much. A 10/100 switch will be fine to learn on, but no way in hell I'd actually put it in my home network in a place where I have to use it.

Gigabit's still expensive enough at the business switch level that I can see why people don't do it there, but for home use where $35 D-Links are perfectly acceptable it's gigabit all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sometimes it's good to trawl Craigslist for Cisco equipment. I picked up two 1841, each fully populated with VWIC-2MFT-T1s a year or two ago for $400.