Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I figure since the servers are shutting down soon, I should put some time aside to do some co-op. Thing is, I also feel like doing the level 1-only schtick again, because it was loads of fun.

So what I'm wondering is if there's anyone else who wants to do some level 1 co-op? I figure it'll be relatively easy to set up since there aren't going to be too many people sticking to lower levels as the game goes on (aside from low-level pvp-types, but I figure we're going to be gunning for good equipment anyway, so that won't be as much of a problem), and I think it'd be pretty fun to do some real co-operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm going to hold on the the ridiculously-implausible hope that the servers are being shut down so From Software can distance itself from Sony... so they can reclaim the rights to Demon's Souls... so they can port it to PC.

I'd buy like 5 copies of Demon's Souls PC just because.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is it a good idea to drop off my upgrade materials in the Nexus? I'm already hitting my item burden and having to drop stuff.

Edit: the answer is yes, holy poo poo. I was at 93/94, after dropping off all that stuff I'm at 23/94.

I hate burden limits in games, I really do. I like weights systems in place for equipped stuff, but actual item burdens make me get all cranky.

Also I just met Patches, and knew he was being tricky. I killed that fire-slug thing on the ledge above him and then went to get the loot. What would have happened otherwise?

EC fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 16, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It's always best to just dump items with Thomas until you need them. There's no need to carry around all those stones all the time.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

What would have happened otherwise?

Fire slug hat.

(It would have dropped onto your head)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Read posted:

Fire slug hat.

(It would have dropped onto your head)

Figured as much.

I decided to try heading somewhere else as I wasn't doing a lot of damage due to the fire slug mosquito things. I'm in the prison now (Latria) and was doing pretty well. Then I walked around a corner, got hit with a green freeze ray, and a tentacle head skittered over and wiped me right the gently caress out. Between those dudes, the weirdo singing in just one cell, and the guy begging me to help him that I can't find, I'm creeped right the hell out.

I'm not really looking for advice or explanations, just posting my experiences as I'm playing. I dig that in the DkS thread, so figured the pros here would appreciate it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shlapintogan posted:

So I figure since the servers are shutting down soon, I should put some time aside to do some co-op. Thing is, I also feel like doing the level 1-only schtick again, because it was loads of fun.

So what I'm wondering is if there's anyone else who wants to do some level 1 co-op? I figure it'll be relatively easy to set up since there aren't going to be too many people sticking to lower levels as the game goes on (aside from low-level pvp-types, but I figure we're going to be gunning for good equipment anyway, so that won't be as much of a problem), and I think it'd be pretty fun to do some real co-operation.

I'd be up for some last chance co-ops. PM me if you've got a schedule or something.

edit: I can actually get online for now, got about 3 hours to my next class.

If anyone else wanna try a SL.1 we could use a third to make it even more fun.

I'm always on in the IRC chat at #fromgoons and you can reach me on aim. if you need me to help you plan out a sl.1 run, I'll be glad to help.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 16, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to assist someone on a Nude Soul Level One Club Run (NSLOCR).

I will provide:
One Dark Heater +5 (worse than heater +10 I know but good enough)
One Moon Club +5
One Dragon Club +5
A wad of darkmoon grass
A wad of ephemeral eyes
A sl1 character equipped exactly as above

You will provide:
A sl1 character sans clothing
Summons for me in roughly the following order: (1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 1.3, 1.4).

Tonight or tomorrow only. No thief ring, no magic, no armor (hats are okay though), no leveling up. If anyone actually invades we go mano-a-mano like civilized folks do. If I die I'll put a new sign down near where I died. If you die I'll put a sign down near our last archstone.

We'll whip this bitch in a couple of hours.

There is one little catch -- my SL1 character just started NG+, so whoever bites gets to phantom for me as a sl1 caveman nudist on NG+ :colbert:. I help you, then you help me.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Ineffiable posted:

If anyone else wanna try a SL.1 we could use a third to make it even more fun.

Might be up for it as well. It'll give me a reason to dick around with my immortal fist character again as well.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Man, where were you guys when I suggested this on the last page? Anyway, I'm going through the game with someone on another forum, so I don't want to make any progress without them, but I'm always willing to assist.

Just make a post in the thread saying what world you're going to do and anybody who sees it can drop their signs there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was so happy when I figured out the trick to Pinwheel Fools Idol, and managed to avoid most of her attacks and take her out without dying once! I was feeling way awesome, but wait...why didn't I get any souls? Why didn't I get her soul? What's this voice?

:negative:

I put two and two together and managed to beat her, again, without dying. poo poo gets hectic when there's like 5 all firing spells at you. Also, if I was a melee focused character that would have been obnoxious as hell!

Now some gargoyles have kidnapped me, and I have 18k souls and a full backpack. I sure hope I see an arch stone soon...

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Like, right at the start of the area the gargoyles bring you, there's an arch stone. Unless you really, really want to chill with the Maneater and his friend, go back now.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Miijhal posted:

Like, right at the start of the area the gargoyles bring you, there's an arch stone. Unless you really, really want to chill with the Maneater and his friend, go back now.

I figured that one out. I just took a quick break from the game once the gargoyles snatched me.

I hope it doesn't gently caress me in the future but I used one of the boss souls to get Soul Ray, and I regret nothing. That thing is amazing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

EC posted:

I figured that one out. I just took a quick break from the game once the gargoyles snatched me.

I hope it doesn't gently caress me in the future but I used one of the boss souls to get Soul Ray, and I regret nothing. That thing is amazing.

That's the best (and only) use of that soul.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A few pages back I posted my boss soul usage chart which lays out all your options and gives suggestions about what to get and what to avoid.

Anyone looking to do SL1 stuff on Demon's Souls tonight or tomorrow add me to your PSN -- my name on there is the same as on here.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If anyone is doing a SL1-10 run tonight, I'll gladly come help you for as long as I feel like it.

pm/msg me on irc or aim to get me quickly.

edit: done for the night. more tomorrow. sl1 runs are fun.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 17, 2012

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I've gotten back this game again but I am having my rear end handed to me by False King Allant.
The main issue I am having is just how fast he can move and attack, I'm usually staggered by this then the bugger soul drains me before I can recover.
I'm wearing Vinland's armour and using the Dark Silver Shield/Blueblood Sword but man, he's just kicking me all over the place.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Judge Tesla posted:

So I've gotten back this game again but I am having my rear end handed to me by False King Allant.
The main issue I am having is just how fast he can move and attack, I'm usually staggered by this then the bugger soul drains me before I can recover.
I'm wearing Vinland's armour and using the Dark Silver Shield/Blueblood Sword but man, he's just kicking me all over the place.

If you can get a catalyst warding makes it much easier. Otherwise just try to flip out of the way in time, rush in for a couple hits and repeat.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If your shield won't save you rolling will. Depending on what gear you use it's possible to get to the False King without learning that, but it's not really possible to get to NG+ without learning that.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I thought it was easier with the fast roll. Being two shot with full armour is the same as being two shot with light armour.

If you want to take the cowardly route, you can use the Thief's Ring and Poison Cloud to kill him without entering his attack range.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
I've yet to beat this game but I've come to the conclusion that this game is more faithful to the MegaMan series than MegaMan Legends ever was.

Felt really bad for some dude who summoned me into his world for PVP. They were rolling around all happy or something that I got there. Maybe they tried to light there sword on fire? I saw the animation start and ran up for the backstab and that was that.

That should have put me into pure black tendency but nooooooo.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Judge Tesla posted:

He kicked the crap out of my Meat Cleaver user until I wised up, swiched to light armour and pelted him with arrows. False King is completely brutal at close range but he's incredibly predictable and pretty much harmless at a distance. Just roll away whenever he gets close and keep your lock-on, with the Lava Bow it's a pretty short fight as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Key to false king is to fight him at medium/long range, even if melee. He becomes much more predictable at that range, either doing shock waves (roll), charge'n'slash (roll, get a hit in, back away again), or the nuke (run in for a free shot or two). He doesn't spam slash, he doesn't really change up the rhythm of his attacks, etc.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SL1 runs tonight anyone? I want some practice with the battle axe

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The area after Fools Idol (3-2? I'm still wrapping my head around which worlds are which) is killing me. I went all the way down through the swamp, then all the way back up and got on an elevator to go even further up. As soon as I stepped off, two of the gargoyle dudes killed me. :(

Since I've died about a zillion times in this area, would y'all recommend heading somewhere else? I think I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 3-1 so far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Try 2-2. Boss is a bitch but you can get lots of stones to upgrade weapons/shields.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

I'll have to move my PS3, but I should be able to play a little tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to drive Boletarian palace's tendency low enough for me to go back and grab Miralda's armor. I'm so used to it being pure white on the first go that I was genuinely floored when it was one step below pure white after killing phalanx.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

I'll have to move my PS3, but I should be able to play a little tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to drive Boletarian palace's tendency low enough for me to go back and grab Miralda's armor. I'm so used to it being pure white on the first go that I was genuinely floored when it was one step below pure white after killing phalanx.

So we just need a successful run on Tower Knight? pretty easy.

Oddly enough, I was able to go down there right after I beat phalanx.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm still fighting 3-2, but I managed to get up to the second tower and kill the dudes, allowing the heart-thing to drop. I went back downstairs and collected a bunch of loot around it, but now I have nowhere to go. Do I need to head back to the swamp? I suppose I could have missed some stuff there...

Edit: never mind, found the stairs. Got Maneater down to halfway before rolling off the side. :sigh:

Edit: oh gently caress there's two! gently caress!

EC fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 19, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I'm up for it. I have my character past 1-1 and with an upgraded dagger.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I'm still fighting 3-2, but I managed to get up to the second tower and kill the dudes, allowing the heart-thing to drop. I went back downstairs and collected a bunch of loot around it, but now I have nowhere to go. Do I need to head back to the swamp? I suppose I could have missed some stuff there...

Edit: never mind, found the stairs. Got Maneater down to halfway before rolling off the side. :sigh:

This is beautiful.

This is like the one of the few things that makes it worth to still read the threads.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Ahahahaha

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I bought this years ago, futzed around with it a bit (I think I beat Phalanx and the Spider Boss), and always meant to get back to it but never did. Bought and played through Dark Souls and loved it, and so I had to come back to the source.

Having played a decent chunk of this now, I feel like I can comment on both. Dark Souls seems a little tighter when it comes to the mechanics, but I think I prefer Demon's atmosphere. Blighttown in Dark Souls was pretty ghoulish, and areas like the catacombs were creepy, but places like the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement in this are just unbelievably gross, disgusting, and unsettling.

Also, kicking the poo poo out of Flamelurker and Maneater was immensely satisfying.

More of this, From Software. More, I say.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That Rough Beast posted:

I bought this years ago, futzed around with it a bit (I think I beat Phalanx and the Spider Boss), and always meant to get back to it but never did. Bought and played through Dark Souls and loved it, and so I had to come back to the source.

Having played a decent chunk of this now, I feel like I can comment on both. Dark Souls seems a little tighter when it comes to the mechanics, but I think I prefer Demon's atmosphere. Blighttown in Dark Souls was pretty ghoulish, and areas like the catacombs were creepy, but places like the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement in this are just unbelievably gross, disgusting, and unsettling.

Also, kicking the poo poo out of Flamelurker and Maneater was immensely satisfying.

More of this, From Software. More, I say.

The true demons souls starts here.

(now beat the game. servers are shutting down on may 31st)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

EC posted:

Ho man, that takes me back. :smugdog:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm glad y'all are enjoying my pain. :)

So I'm going DEX/INT, and my first strategy was to roll out of the way of his leaps and hits and hit him with Soul Ray. This works, but since I'm on such a narrow ledge I invariably roll off the edge or get screwed by the camera going crazy. I decided to go melee, and the Rune sword I found does ok against him, but trying to tank his hits with my shield (dark heater +2) isn't working at all. I can't remember my exact SL but I think I'm early 20s.

Any tips?

As an aside, I got so frustrated with this boss fight that I switched to my SL1 run in Dark Souls. Against the Four Kings.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I'm glad y'all are enjoying my pain. :)

So I'm going DEX/INT, and my first strategy was to roll out of the way of his leaps and hits and hit him with Soul Ray. This works, but since I'm on such a narrow ledge I invariably roll off the edge or get screwed by the camera going crazy. I decided to go melee, and the Rune sword I found does ok against him, but trying to tank his hits with my shield (dark heater +2) isn't working at all. I can't remember my exact SL but I think I'm early 20s.

Any tips?

As an aside, I got so frustrated with this boss fight that I switched to my SL1 run in Dark Souls. Against the Four Kings.

Check out the bonfire in the center. You can use it as sort of an aggro control.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

Check out the bonfire in the center. You can use it as sort of an aggro control.

When I did that last time I spawned a whole other Maneater so I've been staying away.

Let me guess: that was a coincidence and the second one showing up is based on the first one's health, like the Gargoyles in DkS.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

EC posted:

When I did that last time I spawned a whole other Maneater so I've been staying away.

Let me guess: that was a coincidence and the second one showing up is based on the first one's health, like the Gargoyles in DkS.

That is exactly it. The other one shows up after A) 90 seconds have passed, or B) the first maneater's health reaches 25%.

He's going to show up eventually, you'll just have to be extremely careful.

As far as the arena goes, you're actually safer in the middle than on the bridges because one attack can knock you off the bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Your guess is close. Second one shows up on a timer. Like the, uh, two kings. I think there's also a health trigger but that one is quite generous.

Maneater fears fire. Come back after finishing world 2 with either a good Dragon weapon +4 or +5 (I reccomend either a Knight Sword or a Halberd) or Fireball (or Firestorm I guess but I suggest getting Fireball first, especially if you're a mage). You should cakewalk it then.

Regarding the catwalk I always stay on one edge and roll towards the other. You can roll once either way if you're exactly in the middle, but if you're off a bit trying that you'll fly off the edge. With first maneater you need to be hyper aggressive and get his health down fast. Once his buddy shows up go to the brazier in the middle and finish the fight there, it'll tank most of their green orbs for you and ward off some chain pouncing.

Also consider using your most tanky shield rather than a magic block shield. It's better to lose an eighth of your health than half of your stamina, especially since aggression is so important in that fight.

raton fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 20, 2012

• Locked thread