Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the Pinball Arcade Facebook:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The Kins posted:

From the Pinball Arcade Facebook:

Eh, what are they supposed to say 'nope, never'

I'll believe it when I see it :colbert:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If they can pull off Twilight Zone and nail the physics, it will be the greatest moment in the history of digital pinball.

I believe CBS still owns the Twilight Zone license, so I'm not holding my breath until we get an announcement or "leaked" screenshot. But if Pinball Arcade really is working on securing big licenses, Addams Family (ABC) could be in the realm of possibility.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would it be possible for them to make a perfect replica of the twilight zone table without the twilight zone branding? Would that be blasphemous around here?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cartoon Man posted:

Would it be possible for them to make a perfect replica of the twilight zone table without the twilight zone branding? Would that be blasphemous around here?

Wouldn't be the first time. A lot of Zens tables are closely modeled on real-life tables but with their own theme applied.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Have any of the old-school table designers gone and worked with Zen or Farsight or any other companies in creating new digital only tables? That would be pretty rad.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Cartoon Man posted:

Only if they replaced the Rod Sirling voices with Desi Arnaz.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm so loving loving Pinball Arcade. Not so much the tables as I have TOTAN in the William's Collection, Black Hole is fun but punishingly difficult and Ripley's is just flat-out dull to me. TOM is great though. I'm more excited about what the future holds. I really hope they throw in some more obscure '70's and '80's tables that I haven't heard of played though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oldstench posted:

I'm so loving loving Pinball Arcade. Not so much the tables as I have TOTAN in the William's Collection, Black Hole is fun but punishingly difficult and Ripley's is just flat-out dull to me. TOM is great though. I'm more excited about what the future holds. I really hope they throw in some more obscure '70's and '80's tables that I haven't heard of played though.

Imagine the love you have for that one table multi(ball'ed)plied by 4.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Yodzilla posted:

Have any of the old-school table designers gone and worked with Zen or Farsight or any other companies in creating new digital only tables? That would be pretty rad.

J-Pop was butthurt on his Facebook page a while back about not being asked by FarSight to come on as a "consultant". I think basically they just can't afford that right now. It's a small team, and everyone is pulling double and triple duties (you think that interface was designed by a dedicated interface designer?). I'm sure if this is successful enough for them to make enough cash to pay old-school table designers to hang out around their offices they will do so.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.

Parallax Scroll posted:

A few tips:
- The bottom playfield adds to your end of ball bonus, and is where most of your score will come from.
- Completing the BLACK or HOLE target banks in order double the points generated in the bottom playfield. Completing both banks gets you triple.
- The right orbit in the lower playfield can be shot up to 5 times per ball to increase the bonus multiplier to 5x. Try to get it to 5x every time.
- When you're in the lower playfield, keep completing the banks of drop targets to keep the gate in an "open" state. This way, if your ball drains, it'll return to the upper playfield instead of the right outlane.
- Multiball doesn't really help with scoring in my experience, so you don't need to go for it.
- Check the table instructions for how to earn extra balls.

But really, the most important thing is to learn to control and trap the ball and to aim your shots. Nudging is important on this table.

One thing I would add to this is that hitting the light up targets right about the right flipper will light up the drop targets on the lower playfield, which makes them score way higher. Once I learned this, my pattern for the first ball became

Complete BLACK and/or HOLE drop targets > Hit as many of those lightups as possible (hopefully all of them) > Head to the lower playfield, get the multiplier to 5x and rack up points and try to advance the top rollover to Extra Ball.

I can't remember exactly how it works, but hitting all of those light targets mentioned above will cause the right (I think) set of drop targets on the lower playfield to advance the bonus for the rollover at the top of the upper field. As far as I can tell, once you advance the rollover bonus to Extra Ball it will stay that way even if you lose a ball. So once I've got that going I'll try to light hit just three of those lightup targets to keep the rollover from going to Special.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow just found out there's a Lord of the Rings table like under a block from my house :cool: also got Junkyard, a table I enjoy a lot less, in a bar I enjoy going to a lot more. I wish they'd swap or something

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
You know since I don't play the games as much as some you guys probably do, it never really occurred to me just how much the physics were tweaked in The Pinball Arcade until I played Medieval Madness on both versions; It greatly affects the way I play the table. In the Williams Collection version, when the ball is dumped out the moat into the left side of the orbit from a castle shot, if I hold the left flipper down the ball bounces, but only a small amount, and it resettles on the left flipper. In the Pinball Arcade version, when the same thing occurs, the ball bounces high enough and to the left that it falls into the left inlane and has enough momentum to cross over to the right flipper if I keep the left flipper held down, making successive castle shots easier then on the Williams Collection version (although the castle shots still seem to be risky because there's a chance of the ball going straight down and draining if it doesn't go into the moat.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oldstench posted:

I just can't get into TOM because of the score inflation. For some reason, I just can't seem to give a poo poo about tables where you routinely score millions of points like it ain't know thing.

Probably some weird hang up on my part, and I do make exceptions (TNG table is my favorite of all time, but that's mostly my love for all things Star Trek). I will sink an hour a day into Black Hole and TOTAN, but as fun as the TOM table is, the scoring really kills my buzz.

Anybody else around here feel that way?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not really but I understand where you're coming from. My biggest problem with games like this is that I'll eventually get to a point where if I want to have any hope of doing better than I've done it just takes so much goddamn time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yodzilla posted:

Not really but I understand where you're coming from. My biggest problem with games like this is that I'll eventually get to a point where if I want to have any hope of doing better than I've done it just takes so much goddamn time.

I'm not quite sure how to explain it. I've loved pinball for a long time but I've never really explored the "culture" around it with the exception of reading through this thread. Like, I know score inflation is a thing, but I think for me it just makes it harder for me to feel a sense of accomplishment with those tables.

I'm pretty much a scrub, but I know for instance that it'll make me feel awesome when I finally score over a million on Black Hole or Gorgar, but I just don't feel the same when it comes to tables like TOM.

I'm probably just a weirdo.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Does anybody have a link for like, a youtube video talking about all the more 'advanced' pinball flipper tricks? I can pass the ball from one flipper to the other no problemo but I know theres a lot more stuff you can do and I'd like to nerd it up the next time my kid wants to watch the loving Bubble Guppies or whatever.

There's a DVD called Pinball 101 which is great, they had a screening of it at TPF. Or just watch some of the videos on http://papa.org/blog/games-of-the-week/, they're mostly game specific but in at least a couple of them, they explain what they mean by terms like "cradle separation", "tap pass", "post transfer", etc. Specifically, the one on Paragon goes into great detail on how to do a tap pass.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I do agree that the millions really feel cheapened by tables like TOM and Johnny Mnemonic where "billion is the new million". Just call it a thousand again, please? I kind of like tables that fall in the middle like FunHouse or TOTAN. A million is a completely feasible score once you know any of the goals, but anything over 10-20 million is a good score for novices. Big shots are worth two million or less. That's the way to do it, not TOM's "Ten million for the skill shot! hooray! Your score is so high! You're so good at pinball! :downs:" Theatre of Magic is still a really fun machine, though. You just have to imagine the last few zeros on the score don't exist.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Pinball Map has informed that there are like 7 Harley Davidson tables in ABQ.

But the bowling alley around the corner has Twilight Zone and Simpsons Pinball Party so I guess I'm going bowling.

I am a college educated bowler so thats nice.

Also:

http://pinside.com/pinball/map

http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, as I was playing TOM right after finishing Black Hole I looked at my score and thought to myself I just beat my Black Hole high score with my first hit of the right flipper. And it wasn't barely but it was obliterated.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tempura Wizard posted:

I do agree that the millions really feel cheapened by tables like TOM and Johnny Mnemonic where "billion is the new million". Just call it a thousand again, please? I kind of like tables that fall in the middle like FunHouse or TOTAN. A million is a completely feasible score once you know any of the goals, but anything over 10-20 million is a good score for novices. Big shots are worth two million or less. That's the way to do it, not TOM's "Ten million for the skill shot! hooray! Your score is so high! You're so good at pinball! :downs:" Theatre of Magic is still a really fun machine, though. You just have to imagine the last few zeros on the score don't exist.

I had an incredibly lucky game on TOTAN where I got about 33 million without even really trying, and felt all :smug: about it. Then I remembered that I recently friended ParallaxScroll and pardonmehippo and felt like an incredible failure.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I just can't get into TOM because of the score inflation. For some reason, I just can't seem to give a poo poo about tables where you routinely score millions of points like it ain't know thing.

Probably some weird hang up on my part, and I do make exceptions (TNG table is my favorite of all time, but that's mostly my love for all things Star Trek). I will sink an hour a day into Black Hole and TOTAN, but as fun as the TOM table is, the scoring really kills my buzz.

I know exactly how you feel. I remember when you only needed something like 70,000 points to win a free game, but you had to play your rear end off for 5 balls to get all those points. Of course, this was back in the 1970s when I was a kid, and you got 2 5-ball games for a quarter.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

KamikazeJim posted:

[...]until I played Medieval Madness on both versions[...]
Um...wait. I only have 4 tables on Pinball Arcade (PS3 edition). Am I missing something?
Nevermind - I just figured it out.

DrNutt posted:

I understand what you mean. One of my favorite tables of all time is Firepower and you have to work for a good score. The first time I played TOM and my score was like 400,000,000 I just laughed my rear end off. That being said, the table is a blast.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2012

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Um...wait. I only have 4 tables on Pinball Arcade (PS3 edition). Am I missing something?
Nevermind - I just figured it out.

Yeah I should have specified I was playing the Android version as AFAIK no other platforms have the DLC yet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KamikazeJim posted:

Yeah I should have specified I was playing the Android version as AFAIK no other platforms have the DLC yet.

What are the non-Williams tables that have come out so far? Those are the tables I'm most interested in since I already have the Williams Collection (though the leaderboard support and friends list integration means I'll probably be rebuying the Williams tables anyway, because I am a sucker).

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DrNutt posted:

What are the non-Williams tables that have come out so far? Those are the tables I'm most interested in since I already have the Williams Collection (though the leaderboard support and friends list integration means I'll probably be rebuying the Williams tables anyway, because I am a sucker).

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pinball+arcade+dlc

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

iOS update just went live.

"We've released the iOS update that includes Medieval Madness, Bride of Pin•Bot, the fix for the retinal display on the new iPad as well as several other improvements. Medieval Madness is completely free to play (with ad support between games) until we release the new two DLC tables."

edit:
On the iPad 3 the table list/game setup menu doesn't scale right, but it works.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 16, 2012

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

DrNutt posted:

None so far as DLC, but The Machine: Bride of Pin*bot wasn't on the Williams Collection. In the base game, TotAN is the only Williams machine, although Black Hole was on the Gottlieb Collection. Theater of Magic and Ripley's are both completely new to digital pinball. Medieval Madness is the other new table and it was already on Williams collection. The rest of the rumored DLC looks like this (repost from a few pages ago):

quote:

Cirqus Voltaire (taken from Facebook post on December 26 - release date unknown)
Monster Bash (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Attack from Mars (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Funhouse (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Black Knight (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Space Shuttle (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Pin•bot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Big Shot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Either Dr. Dude or Earthshaker (most likely Dr. Dude - taken from Gamezone interview with Bobby King on January 29 - released within first year)
TAXI (taken from Facebook post on March 27 - release date unknown)

edit: from further into the the thread
Harley Davidson [Stern] (During the Behind The Scenes Youtube vid someone is working on the model of a toy bike feature from the table)
Elvira and the Party Monsters (""We hope to make an announcement about this soon Elvira and the Party Monsters is another great table!"- TPA)
Tee'd Off and No Good Gophers ("Tee'd Off is going to require developing the tech needed to ROM emulate it. We'll want to get NGG out sooner.")
Gorgar (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-on-april-10th/)

So there's the possibility of as many as 7 more tables that appeared in the Williams collection may appear over time as Pinball Arcade DLC.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My local arcade just got a newly shopped Black Knight, and holy balls is that machine harder in real life than in the Williams Collection. I played three or four times and never got anything resembling a decent score.

No matter how good the physics in digital pinball get, it's still pretty different from the real thing.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
I love how Black Hole is all casual about earning extra balls. I don't think it even makes a noise, it just turns the light on.

As opposed to newer tables, that are all like "EXTRAAAA FUUUUCKIIIIING BAAAAAAALLL!!!! PEWPEWPEWPEW!!"

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'd never played Bride of Pinbot before. Imagine my surprise when one shot on that table is worth 1,000,000,000 points.

Point inflation :lol:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KamikazeJim posted:

So there's the possibility of as many as 7 more tables that appeared in the Williams collection may appear over time as Pinball Arcade DLC.

I'm okay with that, it's probably a lot easier for them and I'd rather have those tables in a digital format I can play without swapping disks anyways.

Also I don't have to buy the tables I don't care about, like Funhouse and Space Shuttle!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IllegallySober posted:

I'd never played Bride of Pinbot before. Imagine my surprise when one shot on that table is worth 1,000,000,000 points.

Point inflation :lol:

It doesn't really count though. Billionaire scores are given their own high score board on the real table and your score will never get anywhere near a billion points without that shot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daedalus1134 posted:

iOS update just went live.

"We've released the iOS update that includes Medieval Madness, Bride of Pin•Bot, the fix for the retinal display on the new iPad as well as several other improvements. Medieval Madness is completely free to play (with ad support between games) until we release the new two DLC tables."

edit:
On the iPad 3 the table list/game setup menu doesn't scale right, but it works.

Finally!I couldn't hit update/download new tables fast enough!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Have they said when the update with the new tables is coming to 360/PS3?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyone else have problems with the background music in Bride of Pinbot cutting out? I'm playing on my iPad.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Holy poo poo BoP is awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Now I need to figure out how to peel my drat iPad away from my fiance. :mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Probably won't last long but I'm number 59 in medieval madness and in the top 54 on BoP right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Luigi Thirty posted:

Anyone else have problems with the background music in Bride of Pinbot cutting out? I'm playing on my iPad.

On the iPad2 and yeah it just kinda stops after a while. Also my scores get registered twice at the end of games but those are the only things wrong I see with BoP.

And speaking of Bride of Pinbot hooooly poo poo is it just as creepy and awesome as I remember it being. Also I completed all of the standard goals in my first game.

:getin:

Medieval Madness though...good lord is this table ugly on the iPad2. BoP doesn't really suffer from this at all but the flat lighting in MM just makes it look like absolute dog poo poo. I know this device is capable of more, I just wish Farsight would take advantage of it. Also for some reason on MM, and I've only seen it on this table, multiple balls don't really collide with each other as just sort of get magnetically repulsed from each other from about an inch away. I have no idea why it would be different here but there you go.

e: thankfully they fixed the crash upon lock in iOS. here's betting that's what was getting the update rejected