Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cantskate43 posted:

Explain. I don't remember anything of the sort but it sounds really interesting.

Whoops, new page. These are spoilers for Hard Candy.

I thought the fact that she has access to medical textbooks and tranquilizers strong enough to knock Jeff out within minutes were clues, but looking at the plot summary on Wikipedia, I guess it wasn't as explicit as I remember. I think there was also some dialogue near the end where Jeff accused Hayley of not being named Hayley -- and probably not even being 14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Max22 posted:

For everyone knocking Hard Candy for Ellen Page's character being a "super-smart kid who knows everything," wasn't it strongly implied that she was really a university-level medical student?

You know she doesn't cut his balls off, just made him think she did.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Cacator posted:

I agree wholeheartedly and it disappoints me that more people don't think this. It's incredibly smartly written and superbly acted, and it's what you should show to people who don't like Tarantino.

Quoting because you and Spatula City are not alone in this line of thinking. :unsmith:

I need to watch it again, but it takes a full block of your day because Tarantino movies are filling viewing experiences.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Let's all come back into the warm, loving embrace of awful Photoshop...

Those hands...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why does there have to be a horse racing movie every year? Is the genre really that popular?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, God, I am sick of all these horse-racing movies!

what?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Robert Denby posted:

Let's all come back into the warm, loving embrace of awful Photoshop...

Those hands...

Thats Danny Devito, not Bob Hoskins.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cartoon Man posted:

Why does there have to be a horse racing movie every year? Is the genre really that popular?

Alcoholics who beat their spouse need movies too

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

That was my thought too, had to look up pictures of Hoskins in the film to confirm it wasn't.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, God, I am sick of all these horse-racing movies!

what?

I guess I ment horse movies in general, and your right, just because I'm sick of the genre doesn't mean their target demorgraphic won't keep paying money to see them.

Is it sad that I can't name one Bob Hoskins movie since Roger Rabbit or Super Mario Brothers?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unleashed was cheesy fun.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cartoon Man posted:

I guess I ment horse movies in general, and your right, just because I'm sick of the genre doesn't mean their target demorgraphic won't keep paying money to see them.

Is it sad that I can't name one Bob Hoskins movie since Roger Rabbit or Super Mario Brothers?

Enemy at the Gates is the only one I can think of.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Enemy at the Gates is the only one I can think of.

Unleashed. He was actually really good as a villain!

And Hook.

Bob Hoskins needs to be in more movies. He rules.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat I loved Hook at the time it came out, though I think Robin William's acting would probably get on my nerves nowadays. But Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) and Smee (Hoskins) was the poo poo in that movie and whoever that kid was who played Rufio.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
and Spice World. Dont forget Spice World!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So after giving that poster for Safe some credit for getting a relevant Chinese character, turns out they thought better of making use of that where people actually speak Chinese.

Spot any other differences?

e: Of course the linguistic and cultural difference has to be considered, but the tagline is pretty bad too:
"A secret code has put a young girl in danger.
Only the most dangerous man in New York can keep her alive."

sub supau fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 16, 2012

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bob Hoskins was also in Doomsday.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And A Christmas Carol.

PostwarMutant
Oct 30, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

So after giving that poster for Safe some credit for getting a relevant Chinese character, turns out they thought better of making use of that where people actually speak Chinese.

Spot any other differences?

e: Of course the linguistic and cultural difference has to be considered, but the tagline is pretty bad too:
"A secret code has put a young girl in danger.
Only the most dangerous man in New York can keep her alive."

Only? If I needed to be kept alive, I think the most dangerous man in New York would be a pretty good bet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
e:nvm

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

spamman posted:

That was my thought too, had to look up pictures of Hoskins in the film to confirm it wasn't.

What the gently caress are you guys on about? Get your eyes checked.

--------------------------------------------

New Spider-Man posters

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Vagabundo posted:

What the gently caress are you guys on about? Get your eyes checked.

--------------------------------------------

New Spider-Man posters

Is it wrong to say posters are using to much CGI?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Slasherfan posted:

Is it wrong to say posters are using to much CGI?

Not in regards to that second one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like both of those Spider-Man posters a lot. A LOT.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seriously? Spider-Man looks like he's had lard smeared all over him. The second one in particular just looks so greasy.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
They're really playing up the imagery of Spider-Man being intrinsically linked to New York city in those posters. I like it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Professor Clumsy posted:

They're really playing up the imagery of Spider-Man being intrinsically linked to New York city in those posters. I like it.

Why? Because it's night now?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously? Spider-Man looks like he's had lard smeared all over him. The second one in particular just looks so greasy.

Considering the posters seem to be playing up the voyeuristic nature of him watching the city from on high, him being slightly creepy is fine. The mirrored eyes showing a distorted city skyline in the first poster, and repeating the distorted/fisheye perspective on the city below is quite interesting. Not sure if those elements will be in the movie at all, but I really like those posters.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why? Because it's night now?

I would definitely say that the imagery is stronger now. Look at the way the streets curve around him in that second one. You can't tell me that's not effective.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Professor Clumsy posted:

I would definitely say that the imagery is stronger now. Look at the way the streets curve around him in that second one. You can't tell me that's not effective.

I guess. I'm still not that taken with them. They're about as good as you can expect a Spiderman movie poster to be (?)

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I guess. I'm still not that taken with them. They're about as good as you can expect a Spiderman movie poster to be (?)

I admit they're not as good as the spider shadow one we got a few months back, that was a new direction while this is a more effective approach to what has already been done.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Professor Clumsy posted:

I admit they're not as good as the spider shadow one we got a few months back, that was a new direction while this is a more effective approach to what has already been done.

Agreed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vagabundo posted:

This one I love. Plays up the height, the rest of the city, and his costume works much better with the other colours. He's also posed much better and with way more Spider-Man flair then the one below which I've never liked, where he looks like he's laying flat against the glass:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Vagabundo posted:

I love how lazily plastered on the slashes in his suit are. It sort of looks like he managed to cocoon himself and is stuck to the side of a building.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

WebDog posted:

I love how lazily plastered on the slashes in his suit are. It sort of looks like he managed to cocoon himself and is stuck to the side of a building.

I think it's meant to look like he's cocooned up in a web, because being Spider-man is a burden.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

How the gently caress can you not name The Long Good Friday

http://youtu.be/FVVrZJaN1IU

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

New Spider-Man posters

So, is that the Chrysler Building in his reflection (in sunset?) and behind him (at night?)??

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orunitier posted:

So, is that the Chrysler Building in his reflection (in sunset?) and behind him (at night?)??

He's in a web in between two buildings, looking at either the sunrise or sunset, and it's stormy.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Orunitier posted:

Yeah, it looks like it is. Or some deformed version of the Empire State Building. But I only say that because it is also a pointy building. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The one reflected in the eye piece is the Empire State Building, the one behind him is the Chrysler building. That poster has plenty of problems without needing you guys to start making poo poo up about what's in it.