Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations?

There's kind of a cheat to do it by using an AppleScript that switches in different destinations based on a 2007 prefpane called "Do Something When."

Says it works in 10.6, but no idea if it works in Lyon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Is it possible to turn off the "feature" where inactive apps are shut down but still look open?
It seems rather buggy to me and I have a good enough machine not to need it so I'd rather disable it entirely.
There's no good way to do it. You can edit the /Applications/[app]/Contents/Info.plist file, and add/modify the NSSupportsAutomaticTermination key with "NO" as the value, but you have to do it for each app that you think is problematic. (Do this on a copy of the app.)
This might solve it; apps can dynamically declare support for automatic termination, and this overrides the Info.plist value. If the app in question does that, you're out of luck.

Oh, and this will probably break some apps, especially if they're code-signed. Hence working on the copy.

withak posted:

What?
This.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 15, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Thanks for that. Just editing TextEdit and Preview ought to be enough.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for that. Just editing TextEdit and Preview ought to be enough.
I think both of those opt-in dynamically, unfortunately. At least, the key isn't there on my copies, and yet they both seem to support automatic termination.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations? For example, I have my girlfriend trained to plug in her external hard drive every once in a while and Time Machine does its thing. However, I'd also like to get her laptop using my Time Capsule whenever she brings her computer over so we have an extra layer of protection. I imagine it "just works" if I add my Time Capsule as a Time Machine destination, but I want to make sure it'll continue to use her external as well since that ends up with more frequent snapshots.

Thanks.

Time Machine will behave. In Lion, you will need to switch the backup disk setting manually. In Mountain Lion, you will be able to set up a list of destinations and Time Machine will deal with the situation automatically:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165496/ten_exciting_system_changes_in_mountain_lion.html

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Binary Badger posted:

There's kind of a cheat to do it by using an AppleScript that switches in different destinations based on a 2007 prefpane called "Do Something When."

Says it works in 10.6, but no idea if it works in Lyon.

Don't change the Time Machine plist file out from underneath Time Machine. Script tmutil instead.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Mikey-San posted:

Time Machine will behave. In Lion, you will need to switch the backup disk setting manually. In Mountain Lion, you will be able to set up a list of destinations and Time Machine will deal with the situation automatically:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165496/ten_exciting_system_changes_in_mountain_lion.html

On a sort of similar note, is it possible to use a USB share on a NAS as a Time Machine destination? (It shows up fine in Finder, I just can't figure out how to point TM towards it.)

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
NM

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for Mountain Lion to sort it out automatically.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for Mountain Lion to sort it out automatically.
I think this feature is pretty neat too. I'd like to see some sort of API for Time Machine, though, that would allow me to backup to say, Backblaze or Amazon S3. I know I can do it now with other programs and manually syncing, but it'd be nice to just let Time Machine do what it's good at.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So, I have a question about Safari. Is there a particular reason it would start to do this on certain (read: most, but the occasional site is fine) webpages?

Everything still scrolls just fine, and it's clickable wherever it is, but, uh... this is weird, I thought Windows was the only OS with an abstract art bug.

e: Oh, of course restarting Safari fixes it, I was hoping it was a more exotic thing. Oh well. Challenge mode web browsing is over. :(

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 17, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well if it repeatedly happens, my first guess would be to go into Font Book in /Applications, select all fonts in the list (command A) and do File menu->Validate Fonts. There might be some funky conflict or corruption.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Jolan posted:

On a sort of similar note, is it possible to use a USB share on a NAS as a Time Machine destination? (It shows up fine in Finder, I just can't figure out how to point TM towards it.)

If it's a NAS that supports AFP and Time Machine, it would be explicitly stated, and Time Machine prefpane would pick it up.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to do this with an AEBS through Airport Disk. However, it stops working for one reason or another after a while, and it's impossible to get back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

To think that Apple almost had ZFS support and then didn't makes me madder than it should.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

If it's a NAS that supports AFP and Time Machine, it would be explicitly stated, and Time Machine prefpane would pick it up.

TM and AFP are supported, and I've tried with both HFS+ and FAT32 partitions. Can't figure this out for the life of me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evil_bunnY posted:

To think that Apple almost had ZFS support and then didn't makes me madder than it should.

Did they ever give a reason for it?

"Just store your poo poo in the cloud, plebes"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bob Morales posted:

Probably the same reason they eschewed putting blueray support in the Macs: “Sun | Oracle | Sony | Panasonic | [whomever we hate today] are a bag of dicks”…

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Oracle bought Sun and the patents covering ZFS are murky at best. I don't think Apple is finished with the idea of a pooled storage filesystem (CoreStorage in Lion).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
If anyone was putting off trying the trial version of iWork '09, it's been removed from Apple's site*. Whether this is an indication of imminent updates is anyone's guess. I hope so, as I've been putting off buying Pages and Numbers basically since I bought my 2011 13" MBA on day one.

* I should say, it's been removed from Apple's North American sites. You can still find it here, for example, at least for now. I have the .dmg downloading right now so I can confirm it's working currently.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
John Siracusa spent two episodes of Hypercritical talking about ZFS and Apple (and filesystems and HFS+), I found it very interesting:

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/56
http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/57

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Am i just blind or is there no App from Apple for reading the iBooks/ePubs on my Mac?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Was this around the time that they discontinued the Xserve and the XsRAID all that? I am irrationally upset at the dropping of ZFS as well :(

Okay here you go, the one you've all been waiting for, swapping our 20+ year old filesystem with bolted on additions for the most amazing new filesyyysssssssaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA JUST KIDDING :D :D :D

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

johnnyXcrane posted:

Am i just blind or is there no App from Apple for reading the iBooks/ePubs on my Mac?

Nope, there is not. I was actually looking for the same thing this morning. It is a shame too because iBooks is (IMO) so much better than the kindle app. And hunting around for code reference in some programming ebooks I have on my iPad is a pain when I could do it faster/easier on a PC.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Does anyone know of an app that will monitor firewire bus bandwidth? I currently use an audio interface on my iMac's FW400 port and two 10,000 RPM firewire HD's on my 800 port, but I'd like to upgrade to a new iMac that only has one FW800 port. I'd like to see how much each of these guys is using and whether one 800 port will provide the necessary bandwidth for all.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Does anyone know of an app that will monitor firewire bus bandwidth? I currently use an audio interface on my iMac's FW400 port and two 10,000 RPM firewire HD's on my 800 port, but I'd like to upgrade to a new iMac that only has one FW800 port. I'd like to see how much each of these guys is using and whether one 800 port will provide the necessary bandwidth for all.

I believe the old white iMacs that had both FW400 and FW800 ports actually shared a single Firewire controller... so I'd imagine there wouldn't be much of a difference really.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
What is an app like Preview (on Windows) for OS X? The actual app Preview is not cutting it.

I have to go through screenshots and all kinds of other images, and I want to be able to use the keyboard to go to the next one. Preview apparently doesn't do this. The album cover swap thing built in to finder also won't cut it. I want something that can be pretty close to full screen and really light weight (so it doesn't take 3 minutes to load because it has to render previews of every image on the computer).

Any ideas?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

dunkman posted:

What is an app like Preview (on Windows) for OS X? The actual app Preview is not cutting it.

I have to go through screenshots and all kinds of other images, and I want to be able to use the keyboard to go to the next one. Preview apparently doesn't do this. The album cover swap thing built in to finder also won't cut it. I want something that can be pretty close to full screen and really light weight (so it doesn't take 3 minutes to load because it has to render previews of every image on the computer).

Any ideas?

This might sound stupid, but have you tried just selecting an item in the Finder, and pressing spacebar?

It'll pop up an instant preview window and it still lets you navigate the folder view the arrow keys.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Xee's pretty great. Has lots of neat poo poo you can do with the keyboard.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bob Morales posted:

I totally need ZFS as a regular Mac user. It's not like the cloud is giving me any tangible benefits (who cares about being able to access my poo poo across several Macs, iPads and iPhones) when with ZFS my files wouldn't just somehow get stored, but instead get stored better.

What exact advantage would ZFS have for an average user? Would it even outweigh cloud storage? I'm interested.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
A lot. If you want to really dig in, these two episodes of John Siracusa's podcast get into it:

(He's the guy who writes the incredibly gigantic Mac OS X reviews for Ars Technica, for reference)

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

A lot. If you want to really dig in, these two episodes of John Siracusa's podcast get into it:

I'll dig in once I've heard about the tangible benefits. Besides, I would like to get an answer around here without having to take a three hour seminar or similar. I can do active research myself if I want to.

So far ZFS has been like IPv6 over the years - always the next thing that's going to come out real soon now (I remember first reading that about IPv6 in 1994 and about ZFS since at least 2005).

e: I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of an Apple MacBook user, not some guy running a high end datacenter or similar, because that's Apple's main focus. What tangible benefit does Joe Shmoe Macuser get from having ZFS over the Mac OS Extended filesystem?

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 17, 2012

gregday
May 23, 2003

flavor posted:

I'll dig in once I've heard about the tangible benefits. Besides, I would like to get an answer around here without having to take a three hour seminar or similar. I can do active research myself if I want to.

So far ZFS has been like IPv6 over the years - always the next thing that's going to come out real soon now (I remember first reading that about IPv6 in 1994 and about ZFS since at least 2005).

e: I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of an Apple MacBook user, not some guy running a high end datacenter or similar, because that's Apple's main focus. What tangible benefit does Joe Shmoe Macuser get from having ZFS over the Mac OS Extended filesystem?

Here's one. HFS+ is prone to silent corruption over time. This is true of most filesystems but it's particularly bad with HFS+. ZFS has end-to-end error checking all the time so that sort of thing is impossible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are very few end-user "WOW" features that don't boil down to "better data integrity". Where ZFS would shine would be in an OSX Server environment. At that point you can basically point to any ZFS whitepaper to get a rundown of what makes it so great.

In the end it wouldn't have killed them to migrate to ZFS. The average MacBook user probably doesn't know what his filesystem is and doesn't care as long as he can double-click "Macintosh HD" and see files.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 17, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

gregday posted:

Here's one. HFS+ is prone to silent corruption over time. This is true of most filesystems but it's particularly bad with HFS+. ZFS has end-to-end error checking all the time so that sort of thing is impossible.

Sounds good though I have to say that at least for me hardware corruption of the hard disk has always set in before file system corruption.

Martytoof posted:

There are very few end-user "WOW" features that boil down to "better data integrity". Where ZFS would shine would be in an OSX Server environment.

Right, so that'll help the 0.5% users (don't know what the real number is) of OS X who run the server version (which I'm doing on an iMac by the way and I think the admin interface is utter trash, but that's just me).

My problem wasn't so much with ZFS per se but with the condescending attitude that it's somehow more important than having cloud storage.

I feel reminded of the early "the iPad needs a USB port" discussions from 2010. It's a feature that sounds good from a nerdy feature-oriented standpoint but has no tangible value for most users.

I agree of course that ZFS would be nice to have.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 18, 2012

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ZFS couldn't take anything away from a design standpoint like a USB port on iPad would.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It is a lot more than just nice to have, and it's certainly not a USB port. Even if there is no user-visible file structure, OS X and iOS will still need a more modern, reliable file system. There is a section from Siracusa's Lion review that is literally titled What's Wrong With HFS+. The list of problems and shortcomings it faces is quite lengthy, and replacing HFS+ with something newer and better would do nothing but good for every single user of an Apple device. You should read up on it instead of assuming it's just a bunch of silly nerd complaints that don't matter.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

cbirdsong posted:

(He's the guy who writes the incredibly gigantic Mac OS X reviews for Ars Technica, for reference)

I love Hypercritical. The whole format is "hey John here's a mic why don't you spend 90 minutes talking about why Tivo sucks in incredible detail."

And he delivers :allears:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

flavor posted:

Sounds good though I have to say that at least for me hardware corruption of the hard disk has always set in before file system corruption.

Right, so that'll help the 0.5% users (don't know what the real number is) of OS X who run the server version (which I'm doing on an iMac by the way and I think the admin interface is utter trash, but that's just me).

My problem wasn't so much with ZFS per se but with the condescending attitude that it's somehow more important than having cloud storage.

I feel reminded of the early "the iPad needs a USB port" discussions from 2010. It's a feature that sounds good from a nerdy feature-oriented standpoint but has no tangible value for most users.

I agree of course that ZFS would be nice to have.
True time machine local backups (for laptops, etc) via ZFS Snapshots instead of this hacked on hidden directory thing they've got going now.

Actually, the guy who was working on it at Apple left and started his own company based off the community ZFS on OS X project. I can understand the complication and relative hesitation for shipping and subsequently having to support ZFS, but HFS+ is getting way too old to handle some of the stuff Apple wants to do with it.

I'd really like to see ZFS everywhere in OS X land, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon, as it has few user-facing features to put on a product page.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

You should read up on it instead of assuming it's just a bunch of silly nerd complaints that don't matter.
You're misrepresenting what I said. To make it really clear:

Number of times me and other Mac users that I know have lost files/data in mysterious ways that wouldn't have happened on ZFS: 0.

Number of times me and other Mac users that I know have benefited from cloud storage: too high to count.

So maybe I can be forgiven not to value ZFS higher than cloud storage (it's a false and silly dichotomy anyway, because one doesn't preclude the other).

I get what ZFS is. I'm fully behind it. No need to portray me as an idiot. All I'm saying is that between it and cloud storage (again, no need to choose because both can coexist), cloud storage has more tangible benefits and therefore, if there is a need to focus on one of the two, cloud storage is it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's completely apples and oranges. There are all sorts of storage scenarios where cloud storage makes no sense at all.