Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Yeah there is; the same served neat with a few drops distiller water. Getting it too cold robs some of the more volatile phenolics from the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam
I was out at one of the best mixology bars in town last night and asked the bartender to do something strange for me.

Think of this as a Trinidad sour isomorphism.

Replace Angostura with Fernet Branca. (1.5 oz)
Replace rye whiskey with cognac (0.5 oz)
Replace orgeat with Grenadine (1 oz)
Lemon juice remains as-is (1 oz)

Obviously this is another inverted sour like the Trinidad where the base liquor is dominated by a strong bitter. As listed above it's a little too sweet; dropping to 0.75 oz Grenadine is probably an improvement. In addition, Fernet Branca is even more overpowering than Angostura, so I think going down to 1.25 oz Fernet Branca and up to 0.75 oz cognac will improve things a bit.

The other fun thing about this drink (fun to a person who thinks about cocktail isomorphisms, I guess) is that it is visually almost identical to a Trinidad sour; the red color comes from the Grenadine instead of the Angostura.

Anyhow, I hope that at least one of you makes and enjoys this. Or orders it at a bar to entertain the bartender, I guess.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That sounds like a trip, though the Trinidad Sour recipe I've seen is 1 oz. Angostura, 1 oz. orgeat, 3/4 oz. lemon and 1/2 oz. rye. I've been sort of vaguely wanting to pick up a bottle of Fernet for a while. Might give this a try then.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

kwantam posted:

(fun to a person who thinks about cocktail isomorphisms, I guess)

Welcome and be called "brother". I did an Old Cuban with Repo Tequila yesterday for some guys in the wine and liquor biz. Freaking tasty, as is subbing Mezcal for Gin in a Last Word (made that for my owner to improve her hangover, dusted with Absinthe and topped with bubbles after the first sip, so nice).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kwantam posted:

(fun to a person who thinks about cocktail isomorphisms, I guess)

Are you a mathematician? I'm just picturing an abstract algebra lecture on group isomorphisms, but themed to cocktails.

quantegy
May 18, 2002

kwantam posted:

cocktail isomorphisms

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "cocktail isomorphism" but I had a twist on the Manhattan a little while ago, except with mescal, punt e mes, and bittermens mole bitters. It was very smoky and rich, good for after dinner I thought. The play on the name was fun too, they called it an El Defeņo which is apparently a nickname for a person from Mexico City.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Kenning posted:

That sounds like a trip, though the Trinidad Sour recipe I've seen is 1 oz. Angostura, 1 oz. orgeat, 3/4 oz. lemon and 1/2 oz. rye. I've been sort of vaguely wanting to pick up a bottle of Fernet for a while. Might give this a try then.

You know, you're right; this probably is the recipe that the bartender followed. When I make them sometimes I up the Angostura even more but I'd bet given what I said above that 0.75 oz of each ingredient would work pretty well as a jumping-off point for further investigation.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Welcome and be called "brother". I did an Old Cuban with Repo Tequila yesterday for some guys in the wine and liquor biz. Freaking tasty, as is subbing Mezcal for Gin in a Last Word (made that for my owner to improve her hangover, dusted with Absinthe and topped with bubbles after the first sip, so nice).

These both sound awesome.

silvergoose posted:

Are you a mathetmatician?

Not math as such, but I have a theoretical computer science background, so I've gotten many of the fun parts. I like the idea of pedagogical cocktails.

Quantegy, sounds like it's the same spirit. Among other things, I amuse myself when mixing cocktails by trying to understand the structure of the drink, then disassemble it and build it with different parts. This is certainly not some kind of new thing: most cocktails live in broad categories, and understanding the form of the category lets you see how the constituent drinks work and why they're related.

It's interesting to look at the history of cocktails because sometimes there are really non-obvious things you can do. The Negroni came about when someone decided "screw soda, I'm making my Americano with gin instead." That's a totally nonintuitive swap, and yet it works really well. My goal when learning about and playing with cocktails is to learn such things so that it's experience and principle that guides drink design rather than trial and error. As far as I can tell, that's what makes a really great bartender.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Trial and error is just as worthy as an examined methodology, in my opinion. Ask me about putting champagne and/or egg white in everything, for example.

Also swapping gin for soda is a pro move, no doubt.

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 17, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have this small bottle of club soda that's gonna go flat soon. I have bourbon, rye, vodka, gin, silver tequila, ginger rum, spiced rum, "clear" rum (bacardi superior, it was cheap for the ginger rum), grenadine, rose's lime juice, maraschino cherries, limes, lemons, oranges, angostura bitters.

Goons, what cocktail do I make tonight with any of those ingredients with the club soda?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highball

Last night it was hot as hell; I'd just got done with the housework and had half a lemon left over from cooking. I also have some samplers from God-knows-where sitting around that I wanted to get rid of, so I squeezed the lemon over ice and added vodka citron, syrup and topped it up with soda. I forgot to pray for forgiveness for having vodka in the house that's not Luksusowa.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I have this small bottle of club soda that's gonna go flat soon. I have bourbon, rye, vodka, gin, silver tequila, ginger rum, spiced rum, "clear" rum (bacardi superior, it was cheap for the ginger rum), grenadine, rose's lime juice, maraschino cherries, limes, lemons, oranges, angostura bitters.

Goons, what cocktail do I make tonight with any of those ingredients with the club soda?

I'd probably have a Tom Collins or a Gin Fizz if I "needed" to use club soda.

Just squeeze all the juice from a lime into a glass with a bunch of ice, add a teaspoon or so of fine sugar or a dash of simple syrup, a couple ounces of gin, shake it up and then add the club soda at the end to to the top.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Doh004 posted:

How about a twist on the singapore sling?

0.5 tsp sugar, 1 oz lemon juice, maraschino cherry, muddled
1 oz ginger rum
0.5 oz bourbon (or rye, but I think the spiciness from the ginger should be sufficient)

shake, strain, add cracked or coarse crushed ice and soda.

I'd garnish with a flamed orange peel, m'self.

EDIT

Trial and error is just as worthy as an examined methodology, in my opinion.

Absolutely agreed, and I shouldn't have implied otherwise. I just want both available to me, and one takes practice and work.

Trial and error is an awesome way to have a party with friends.

kwantam fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 17, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced cocktail bar in DC that makes quality drinks? It seems like every place is upwards of $10-15 a drink around here. So far Darnell's, Wonderland Ballroom, and The Passenger sound like they may be good, and I get a good feeling about looking in neighborhoods like U-Street, Columbia Heights. I want something along the lines of Windmill Lounge in Dallas or Poison Girl in Houston if anyone's been to either. Total dive of a place and very dumpy, but the drinks speak for themselves.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kwantam posted:

How about a twist on the singapore sling?

0.5 tsp sugar, 1 oz lemon juice, maraschino cherry, muddled
1 oz ginger rum
0.5 oz bourbon (or rye, but I think the spiciness from the ginger should be sufficient)

shake, strain, add cracked or coarse crushed ice and soda.

I'd garnish with a flamed orange peel, m'self.

Sounds delicious! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Anyone have any suggestions for a savory cocktail? I love the taste of something like a michelada, etc.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I believe that everybody should keep bloody mary mix on hand at all times for just such an occasion, but I made a lavender-black pepper infused vodka a few weeks ago that really hits the spot for savory, especially in sparkling wine.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

air- posted:

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced cocktail bar in DC that makes quality drinks? It seems like every place is upwards of $10-15 a drink around here. So far Darnell's, Wonderland Ballroom, and The Passenger sound like they may be good, and I get a good feeling about looking in neighborhoods like U-Street, Columbia Heights. I want something along the lines of Windmill Lounge in Dallas or Poison Girl in Houston if anyone's been to either. Total dive of a place and very dumpy, but the drinks speak for themselves.

Those are reasonably priced cocktails in most places.

Our menu in Tucson bottoms out at 8$, but we're in Tucson.

kwantam posted:

I was out at one of the best mixology bars in town last night and asked the bartender to do something strange for me.

Think of this as a Trinidad sour isomorphism.

Replace Angostura with Fernet Branca. (1.5 oz)
Replace rye whiskey with cognac (0.5 oz)
Replace orgeat with Grenadine (1 oz)
Lemon juice remains as-is (1 oz)

Obviously this is another inverted sour like the Trinidad where the base liquor is dominated by a strong bitter. As listed above it's a little too sweet; dropping to 0.75 oz Grenadine is probably an improvement. In addition, Fernet Branca is even more overpowering than Angostura, so I think going down to 1.25 oz Fernet Branca and up to 0.75 oz cognac will improve things a bit.

The other fun thing about this drink (fun to a person who thinks about cocktail isomorphisms, I guess) is that it is visually almost identical to a Trinidad sour; the red color comes from the Grenadine instead of the Angostura.

Anyhow, I hope that at least one of you makes and enjoys this. Or orders it at a bar to entertain the bartender, I guess.

I have a daiquiri like this. Sub the 2oz of rum for 1oz on Cynar and 1oz of Peychaud's, sub simple syrup for Falernum (.75) and maintain the lime.

When you hear a bartender describe a drink they are serving as a "take on", they are doing exactly what you refer to here. Hell, I have an inverse Manhattan that calls for two parts Bonal Quinine Wine for the whiskey, and 1 part aged rum for the vermouth.

Try an Angostura Cocktail. Ango as the base spirit, demerara syrup as the sweetener with a rye or scotch washed glass and/or atomized over the finished drink. Or an Ango sour.

The options are endless.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 19, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love a good aged tequila and a good margarita. Can anyone suggest tequila cocktails that aren't kiddie bullshit?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Halloween Jack posted:

I love a good aged tequila and a good margarita. Can anyone suggest tequila cocktails that aren't kiddie bullshit?

You ever try a Paloma? Tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit soda. You could use grapefuit juice too if you don't want it to be fizzy.

I had a friend make a spicier tequila drink that was interesting. I recall it had cucumbers, cilantro, some jalapeno, lime juice, simple syrup, and tequila all muddled together then strained into a chilled glass. She mentioned possibly infusing the tequila with jalapenos if you prefer to really spice it up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like a Paloma for a long drink, but I'm really looking to bring out the flavour of the tequila. I don't understand the preoccupation with mixing tequila and chiles or whatever sort of Mexican hot sauce; I find capsaicin just smothers the tequila.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

air- posted:

I think The Passenger probably serves up some of the best cocktails in DC, though they are generally around the $10 range. I'm not a regular, but if I had one complaint, it would be that sometimes I don't think that they stir/shake their drinks long enough, and that the glasses should be chilled a little more.

If you're in Northern Virginia, I was recently very pleased with the cocktails from Virtue in Old Town, Alexandria, near the water. Prices still near $10, but not much higher.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Halloween Jack posted:

If you're just looking for inspiration, start here.

If you want a specific recipe:

High Plains Drifter No. 2

2 oz reposado tequila
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz green Chartreuse
1 dash of orange bitters
Campari for rinse

Campari rinsed coupe/shake/orange twist.

Koppite posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a savory cocktail? I love the taste of something like a michelada, etc.

Savory cocktails are not my thing, but you should pick up a bottle of celery bitters, they really have that savory flavor I think you would like added to most drinks.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
El Diablo is a hella easy cocktail and one of my favorites. Bit on the sweet side though.

2 parts Tequila
1 part Creme de Cassis
1 part Ginger Beer

We only have Bundaberg Ginger Beer here in Sweden, so I usually add some fresh ginger as well to spice it up as I find Bundaberg to be a little weak (atleast for this cocktail)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions; I like doing things with liqueurs. The only obstacle is that in Virginia it's hard to get a lot of quality liqueurs through ABC.

Tell if I'm crazy to consider Galliano and/or Tuaca with tequila--I was thinking the citrus, vanilla, and woodsiness of those liqueurs might pair well with the same traits in a reposado.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
So someone regifted a bottle of Grey Goose Pear. On it's own it's pretty harsh, but it does have a nice pear thing going on as well. Thoughts?

We've mixed it with some lemonade we had made for Pimm's, but I'd kinda like something a bit more creative.

quantegy
May 18, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Tell if I'm crazy to consider Galliano and/or Tuaca with tequila--I was thinking the citrus, vanilla, and woodsiness of those liqueurs might pair well with the same traits in a reposado.

Just tried this because I had those lying around so why not. I did 2 oz reposado, .25 oz Galliano, and a couple dashes of orange bitters, over ice and stirred. With a zest of lime. It's pretty good, but I'm sure someone else could better fine tune the idea.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Klauser posted:

If you're just looking for inspiration, start here.

Agreed. The Mayahuel menu is a really good place to look for new, interesting tequila drinks. I really enjoy their Slynx: reposado, applejack (bonded, so presumably Laird's BIB), pear and whiskey barrel (Fee's, I'd guess) bitters, with a mezcal rinse, served strained in a rocks glass.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Those are great! I love applejack, and it never occurred to me to mix it with tequila.

A funny thing about applejack, though: We have Captain Apple Jack (bottled by Laird's) both 80 proof and BIB, as well as Laird's proper--but for whatever reason, the Laird's Rare Apple Brandy they sell in Virginia ABC is obviously adulterated with NGS. The Captain is actually the better buy in VA if you want your applejack to actually be apple loving brandy.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Firstly - I can't believe I have not been following this thread since it's inception. I just read the entire thing, and am smitten.

Working less than a block from Cask, in San Francisco, I bought a bottle of Gomme Syrup by Small Hand Foods. My standard order, and the order I "test" any proper cocktail bar with, is a Ramos Gin Fizz - an item that this thread has spoken of in reverent terms but never discussed the construction thereof. So, a recipe, or procedure, and then 2 variations, and finally a question or three. I ought to say that this is a drink which inspires near religious fervor in its adherents. I have had the same bartender at a good bar make the drink twice in a row, early in a night (so it is neither busy nor is the bartender drunk), and receive a radically different drink due to small variations in technique or proportions. So play with it. I've never had a bad Ramos Gin Fizz, assuming they have the egg whites and are not completely idiotic, and I have had some truly sublime ones.

The Ramos Gin Fizz is not an easy drink to make. But the combination of texture and flavor is incomparable. Take a shaker and to it add 2 ounces of good gin - any will produce an acceptable drink but an Old Tom gin or even perhaps a Jenever will be best - roughly one ounce of heavy cream, one egg white (or roughly one half of a tablespoon of egg white powder), roughly one ounce of citrus juice typically half lemon and half lime, one half of one ounce of simple syrup and perhaps a little more if using dry gin, and finally a few drops of orange flower water. Shake vigorously without ice for a minute or two - you should feel the texture of the drink change through the shaker. Add ice, shake a further minute or so, and strain into a chilled collins glass with an ounce or two of soda in it. Garnish with something pretty and citrusy if desired.

A variation that I often see is using a blender, or perhaps an immersion blender, to build the foam at first. Another variation, less common, but the one I use if I ever make this at home, is to build the drink in an ISI whipper, shake in the whipper, charge with nitrous, and then dispense.

And on to the question - part of what makes a Ramos Fizz so searingly brilliant is the texture. Do you think that substituting gomme syrup for simple syrup would enhance the texture? Or would it be, God forbid, too much? Either way, what are some other suggestions for Gum Syrup? I have five or six kinds of gin, some bourbon, Scotch, Calvados, brandy, a dark Rum (Cruzan?), most every syrup or bitter one could desire, and endless curiosity.

Edit - please do not add a few ounces of orange flower water to anything you intend to drink, unless you're making gallons!!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Halloween Jack posted:

I made a tequila mojito tonight. Wasn't half bad. Muddle cilantro and sugar cubes with some lime juice, top with club soda and ice to taste, garnish with lime.

Only problem is that the cilantro bits get stuck in your teeth cause they float...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Halloween Jack posted:

Ever tried a margarita with reposado tequila, cointreau/gran mariner, fresh citrus juice, and simple syrup? Asked a bartender friend make me one as a joke, it was sublime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Archenteron posted:

Ever tried a margarita with reposado tequila, cointreau/gran mariner, fresh citrus juice, and simple syrup? Asked a bartender friend make me one as a joke, it was sublime.
How else do you make a margarita?

(But seriously, pretty much every margarita I make is reposado tequila, Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and a few drops of dark agave syrup to balance the tartness. I have no need of salt.)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Trying some homebrew expirements here. Currently testing out Simply Apple Juice, Tonic water, and Gin.

We shall see how it tastes.

If anyone knows some cheap(around 25bux) mixes that taste pretty good I am all ears, looking to please someone with a sweet tooth, I generally like to stick to rum and coke

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 23, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Halloween Jack posted:

How else do you make a margarita?

(But seriously, pretty much every margarita I make is reposado tequila, Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and a few drops of dark agave syrup to balance the tartness. I have no need of salt.)

Silver tequila, whole lime, triple sec, bit of lime zest simple syrup. Mmmm.

(I love limes)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Off to the Campari competition. My drink is basically a negroni fizz, wish me luck (luck has nothing to do with it).

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Anyone have their own homemade Manhattan cherries? I bought fresh cherries from whole foods and let them seep in Tupperware with the following proportions:

3 part bulleit rye whisky
1 part martini and Rossi sweet vermouth
2-4 dashes peychaud's bitters
And an orange zest (discarded)

I put one in the bottom of each manhatten I make at home and by the end they taste amazing. They stay plump and make the drink look very delicious.

I've been hoping to make my own maraschino as well. Any recipes floating around out there I need to know about?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just had Bulleit for the first time a few days ago, and I don't want to mix the stuff. I did think about making a Perfect Manhattan with it, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Booties posted:

Anyone have their own homemade Manhattan cherries? I bought fresh cherries from whole foods and let them seep in Tupperware with the following proportions:

3 part bulleit rye whisky
1 part martini and Rossi sweet vermouth
2-4 dashes peychaud's bitters
And an orange zest (discarded)

I put one in the bottom of each manhatten I make at home and by the end they taste amazing. They stay plump and make the drink look very delicious.

I've been hoping to make my own maraschino as well. Any recipes floating around out there I need to know about?

Making your own maraschino or making your own maraschino cherries? The cherries are pretty easy: steep a bunch of dark, tart cherries in maraschino liqueur for a while. The liqueur is definitely gonna be a bit more complex to make. It's an infusion of Marasca cherries and their crushed pits which is redistilled after the infusion to make it clear and lighten the flavor somewhat. I would personally leave my maraschino liqueur needs to the professionals at Luxardo, since I'm pretty sure that Luxardo maraschino is the most delicious substance created by man. I might make the cherries this summer though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Booties posted:

Anyone have their own homemade Manhattan cherries?

--

Any recipes floating around out there I need to know about?

Yes! I do this and love it:

2 cups sugar
4 cups brandy
2 lbs. fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted

Wait 6 weeks.

The cherries are great, and as an added bonus, the liquid is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

I just won my regional Don Q contest. On my way to New York for MCC. Meet me at Painkiller, I'll get your first round.

Off to the Campari competition. My drink is basically a negroni fizz, wish me luck (luck has nothing to do with it).

My coworker and good friend won our Campari contest with something very similar. I hope you win, I'll see you at MCC if you do.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 24, 2012