Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep glop posted:

When we did 15/4 back in October I was not on the DMD so I spent most days doing nothing. I dropped all those things off to my guys for no profit, and sometimes free because I'm a great role model.

I buy coffee/give rides/pay for veterinary costs on occasion. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

AB posted:

I buy coffee/give rides/pay for veterinary costs on occasion. :ssh:
:?:
Haha what?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 28, 2012

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

psydude posted:

So, regarding AT pay: is it going to be this usual bullshit where I have to wait until 2 weeks after I get back to get paid? Because if that's the case, I'm going to burn my loving paid vacation so that I don't go broke.

I always get my check the last day of AT.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grampybone posted:

I was severely depressed t find out my current vic box doesn't allow for outside inputs.

Get yourself a pair of Peltor Comtac IIs. For 25 bones you can get a 3.5mm cable and jam out to Lady Gaga while you're on the range or whatever. They're good as ear pro AND headphones!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
You forgot to mention the price of a set of comtac IIs.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

elite_garbage_man posted:

You forgot to mention the price of a set of comtac IIs.

:ssh:

Although Im sure with the kind of people that Grampybone rolls with, he can get a set issued

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I've got a Dell laptop with built-in CAC reader (winXP), but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my new CAC card. It worked fine with my old CAC, and my other computers work fine with the new CAC, so I'm thinking it's a driver issue, but updating the drivers and certificates didn't work. Anyone else have issues with new CACs and your dell CAC reader?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 28, 2012

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

grover posted:

I've got a Dell laptop with built-in CAC reader (winXP), but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my new CAC card. It worked fine with my old CAC, and my other computers work fine with the new CAC, so I'm thinking it's a driver issue, but updating the drivers and certificates didn't work. Anyone else have issues with new CACs and your dell CAC reader?

We used to have one of those CAC-reader keyboards that was very fidgety. Try breathing on the chip to warm it up, or putting some tape on the opposite side from the chip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
For someone else's card, put the tape over the chip. If you're feeling particularly dastardly, trim it to the same size.

VVV As long as you're not using a sharpie it'll come off. Pirate paraphernalia was a favorite in my shop for a while. The best part was one guy that didn't loving realize it until the gate guard laughed his rear end off when we came back from lunch.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 22, 2012

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Or clear tape over the picture and touch-up their photo. Mustaches are always classic.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My boyfriend is commissioning as an Air Force officer in a few weeks and want to get him a commissioning present. I don't know what to get him, I was gonna get him a display thing for his sword but drat those are expensive so I'm looking for a still appropriate but slightly cheaper alternative for a commissioning present.

Thoughts and suggestions from actual military goons would be appreciated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My commissioning present was being the gently caress done with ROTC, which was good enough for me. However, since he's an officer now and will make an unreasonable amount of tax free money each month, he should become acquainted with the finer things in life: get him a really nice bottle of scotch.

e: If that's a bit too high, see about getting him a whiskey tumbler or beer stein with his name etched into it. You can usually get that done for pretty cheap if you're willing to use the power of the internet.

If he doesn't drink, then I'm all out of ideas.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 22, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

psydude posted:

My commissioning present was being the gently caress done with ROTC, which was good enough for me. However, since he's an officer now and will make an unreasonable amount of tax free money each month, he should become acquainted with the finer things in life: get him a really nice bottle of scotch.

e: If that's a bit too high, see about getting him a whiskey tumbler or beer stein with his name etched into it. You can usually get that done for pretty cheap if you're willing to use the power of the internet.

I was actually considering getting him a nice bottle of vintage port, 'cause he loves him some port and he doesn't want more poo poo to haul around when he moves. He did express interest in having a nice display thing for his sword and I found one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg at the Exchange (yay base access for exactly three more weeks!). Maybe I'll get both. Who knows.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

psydude posted:

Yeah-- I was going to say some nice scotch or nice drinking accessories. I got a tumbler with my name on it and several steins and they have been very useful. Another take could be some nice cigars or a nice pipe.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

psydude posted:

If he doesn't drink, then I'm all out of ideas then he soon will.

FTFY

I was like psydude, my commissioning present was getting the gently caress done with AFROTC/graduating, although my parents actually did end up getting me a Winchester Garand, something that I asked for as an offhand comment half joking. Drinking accessories are always good, as are (good) cigars.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

FTFY

I was like psydude, my commissioning present was getting the gently caress done with AFROTC/graduating, although my parents actually did end up getting me a Winchester Garand, something that I asked for as an offhand comment half joking. Drinking accessories are always good, as are (good) cigars.

He does drink and he does smoke cigars on occasion. However I know exactly fuckall about cigars so I think I'm going to go with something booze-related. He already bought himself an absurdly expensive bottle of vodka to drink once he commissions. I don't think there are any specific vodka-drinking accessories I could get him though. Port is his second-favorite expensive alcohol so I'm gonna look around the internets for a neato decanter/glasses or something to that effect.

Thanks guys!

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My boyfriend is commissioning as an Air Force officer in a few weeks and want to get him a commissioning present. I don't know what to get him, I was gonna get him a display thing for his sword but drat those are expensive so I'm looking for a still appropriate but slightly cheaper alternative for a commissioning present.

Thoughts and suggestions from actual military goons would be appreciated.

Not sure what you consider 'expensive', but I bought this one for my NCO sword:

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Display-Cabinet-Stand-Holder/dp/B001RE41J4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335134927&sr=8-1

It's very well made, and they come in different types of wood.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

AB posted:

I like shoving the NBC hose into my jumpsuit as makeshift air conditioning.

Look at this A1 ridin' scrub.

SEP supremacy!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

Look at this A1 ridin' scrub.

SEP supremacy!

-snip-

I had something snarky, but I just got back from drill and caught the "Resource thread" change.

EBB fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 23, 2012

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just caught your reply before you edited it, and just saw the resource thing myself, so I better turn this into something resourcefulish.

What's the deal with the A2 SEPs overheating with the aircon on? I've heard a lot about it, but never seen it. I'm about to go out to gunnery in about 6 weeks, so maybe I'll see it there. But except for a rare breaker tripping, I haven't seen the overheating problem yet.

It doesn't really matter to me, cause HRC turned me into a scout so I'll be driving those noisy gently caress Bradleys or a HMMWV in about 3 months, but I was curious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you ever run over those old cars that are always along roads in the training areas in your tank just for the gently caress of it?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pretty drat tempting, but no, not I.

I remember back in basic training that one of the TCs teaching us how to drive got a phone call from his wife that he took whilst hanging out of the cupola. Apparently it was a nasty call so he ordered the driver to smash the tank through a bunch of trees. Eventually piled into a mud pit so big that they stepped off of the back deck and onto the ground. Took two 88's to drag it out.

There's also a guy in my company right now who has hit pretty much everything in existence. A POV, other tanks, a tank belonging to another nation, scraped up a fueler, a few little trees, and about 40 metres of metal guard on the side of the road when he fell asleep.

He's still a driver though, so whatever.

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

My brain problems are matched only by my swole problems.
If I'm an O-2 getting out in about a year and will be spending some time in the Navy IRR, is there any reason not to stick around for the rest of my 20 in the reserves and get a reserve pension at the age of 60?

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Dongue Quixote posted:

If I'm an O-2 getting out in about a year and will be spending some time in the Navy IRR, is there any reason not to stick around for the rest of my 20 in the reserves and get a reserve pension at the age of 60?

The one weekend a month, two weeks a year. You also can't do 20 in the IRR.

Xanzar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 24, 2012

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Xanzar posted:

The one weekend a month, two weeks a year. You also can't do 20 in the IRR.

Not true. http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/RESERVEPERSONNELMGMT/IRR/Pages/GuidetotheIRR.aspx

More info: http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/933192012/m/5210082051001

TheUnhorse fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 23, 2012

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Hmph, you've just shattered my knowledge of the IRR. I also mixed up the original question, I thought he was asking about reserves vs IRR.

I was told by an old army buddy that the IRR didn't meet like the reserves do. I guess that isn't true, or at least not required depending on if you want credit towards years of service/retirement.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Army
I'm in the future soldier program, and I just got a temporary reservation for my preferred MOS with guaranteed airborne training. My recruiter told me that AB school is sought after, and I should grab it in case it's not available for me later on. Is it really that big of a deal?

Also, are there any long term health detriments to parachuting? My dad served in Vietnam and made many HALO jumps, he now suffers from chronic pains from his spine & shoulder, I'm curious if the jumps he did had a connection to this. Any airborne in here that can relate?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
You are falling out of a plane and landing on your feet and doing a PLF with a poo poo ton of gear, of course it's going to mess your joints up. The best part of all is that you're doing it for no reason.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

You are falling out of a plane and landing on your feet and doing a PLF with a poo poo ton of gear, of course it's going to mess your joints up. The best part of all is that you're doing it for no reason.

So I should opt out of it?
e: The question is in the context of "doing it for no reason". My MOS is 25 Bravo, so I don't foresee myself jumping out of airplanes to do IT-related stuff. I don't want to wreck my back by the time I'm 50 or something.

nescience fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 24, 2012

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

nescience posted:

One of my regrets is not doing airborne school sooner. I've only had one landing that was pretty much foot-rear end-head. I've hurt myself worse in judo.

Go to airborne school. It's a relatively easy school if you can pass the PT test on the young boy's standard. Are you going to an airborne unit? Get paid extra money on deployment for no reason. Hooah.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Nah go for it if you want man, I'm just talking about the big picture "need" for airborne. It certainly won't hurt your career and you might never do a jump past the school so go for it.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Crazy Mike posted:

One of my regrets is not doing airborne school sooner. I've only had one landing that was pretty much foot-rear end-head. I've hurt myself worse in judo.

Go to airborne school. It's a relatively easy school if you can pass the PT test on the young boy's standard. Are you going to an airborne unit? Get paid extra money on deployment for no reason. Hooah.

I have no idea if I'll be in an airborne unit, my recruiter told me it's possible. I won't ship out for basic until November. I heard the extra pay for jump-status in a non-airborne unit is less than airborne, any idea what the rate is?

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Nah go for it if you want man, I'm just talking about the big picture "need" for airborne. It certainly won't hurt your career and you might never do a jump past the school so go for it.
Guess I'll do it! I have a fear of heights, so I figured this will get rid of that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

If you have the opportunity to go, it'd be silly not to honestly. If I had the chance I would've certainly gone, even after dealing with 18th and 101st Airborne and hating the gently caress out of them.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

nescience posted:

I have no idea if I'll be in an airborne unit, my recruiter told me it's possible. I won't ship out for basic until November. I heard the extra pay for jump-status in a non-airborne unit is less than airborne, any idea what the rate is?

Zero. You only get jump pay if you're in an Airborne unit and jumping at least once every three months. If you go through jump school and end up in a non-Airborne unit, you get no additional pay.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

nescience posted:

e: The question is in the context of "doing it for no reason". My MOS is 25 Bravo, so I don't foresee myself jumping out of airplanes to do IT-related stuff. I don't want to wreck my back by the time I'm 50 or something.

25B has about twice as many airborne-qualified junior enlisted soldiers than required, so even if you go to an airborne unit you won't get fenced in there for years like other MOSs that don't have enough paratroopers to meet requirements.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use a pair of NB Minimus in (Army) IET? I know the sergeants major have all kinds of rustled jimmies about them funny lookin' hippie toe shoes, but one of the recruiters at the local station said her Minimuses (Minimi? whatever the gently caress plurality) were nixed too. I'm curious if it's just something the local command is being all cunty about, or if I'm about to drop $100+ on a pair of shoes I'm only going to be able to use for 4ish months.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
If a loving Recruiter can't use them I'd be less surprised if Aliens flew down to earth tomorrow and cured all disease and suffering on earth than if you were allowed to wear anything other than the ones the let you buy at AAFES at reception, let alone toe shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah you have pretty much zero chance at Basic, a tiny chance (depending on MOS) at your AIT, and a fair chance at your unit of getting to wear non-standard (weird) anything. About the only way I can see it happening is if you have a fitness nut supervisor that also wears them.

The fact you will be a private only increases the scrutiny you will receive, so I wouldn't really bother bringing them, at least until you're at your actual duty station, and even then be prepared for the fact that you might only get to wear your foot gloves on your own time.

Someday you will learn that perfect uniformity is the only way to win wars in this modern age.

• Locked thread