Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Does anyone know of an app that will monitor firewire bus bandwidth? I currently use an audio interface on my iMac's FW400 port and two 10,000 RPM firewire HD's on my 800 port, but I'd like to upgrade to a new iMac that only has one FW800 port. I'd like to see how much each of these guys is using and whether one 800 port will provide the necessary bandwidth for all.
Is the audio interface FW400 or 800? Cause wouldn't it drop everything to FW400 speed if chained together, or can you get around that by putting it on the end? Either way you were likely maxing out the 800 port with the drives alone, big plain laptop drives these days can even do it.

dunkman posted:

What is an app like Preview (on Windows) for OS X? The actual app Preview is not cutting it.

I have to go through screenshots and all kinds of other images, and I want to be able to use the keyboard to go to the next one. Preview apparently doesn't do this. The album cover swap thing built in to finder also won't cut it. I want something that can be pretty close to full screen and really light weight (so it doesn't take 3 minutes to load because it has to render previews of every image on the computer).

Any ideas?
If you set it to open multiple images in one window you should be able to arrow through them and full screen it.

flavor posted:

Sounds good though I have to say that at least for me hardware corruption of the hard disk has always set in before file system corruption.
ZFS can help to an extent there too, like if the drive is loving up blocks here and there, it'll know about it and you can preemptively swap drives or take some other action, rather than it being silent corruption biting your rear end however long later when you find out yourself (whether it be a bad file or the drive just dying completely). If there's another copy of the file available it'll automagically repair itself. Instead of just file system corruption just think of it helping data integrity of everything.

And that's on top of the improved Versions and Time Machine that could be done, they'd at least take up less space, could be faster for all I know (if nothing else there'd be less to write for changes). Not as glamorous as cloud crap but still useful, and Apple has advertised similar benefits before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cloud storage and ZFS don't need to be mutually exclusive. Apple had a working build of ZFS that they pulled development on. I mean I don't know how Apple engineering is set up, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't run those two projects concurrently. I don't really see any overlap in functionality anyway. Your local filesystem still exists, even if you've got your documents all up in the iCloud. Dismissing ZFS as benefitting a scant population seems really shortsighted.

edit: I don't mean to point a finger at you personally, flavor. Apple has dismissed ZFS as well, so they obviously agree with you.

edit2: Also in my example, where I mentioned it would be more beneficial to Server installations; I agree that those are easily the minority, but don't forget that those 0.05% of edge cases typically exist in OS X centric environments where they serve files and provide services to other clients. All of a sudden if you've got data integrity issues on your edge case 0.05% installation it can affect a large number of users. So obviously this still isn't a huge amount of installations if compared to the number of users on a Mac in a non-enterprise environment, but it's a perfect example of why ZFS would be beneficial over cloud storage.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 18, 2012

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Is there an shortcut in OS X to put the display to sleep?
I dont want to use the normal sleep because i want to be online in Skype and ICQ but i also don't want to set the display sleep timer in the Energysaver pref lower.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ctrl-Shift-Eject

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Well that was fast - thank you very much Gillette!

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I'm still relatively new to OS X, and this was a bit annoying. I've been deleting apps just by dragging them from the app folder to the trash, which is what I thought the suggested method was. I see now that there are other methods of doing it, so I'll use those in the future....but what about all the stuff I already deleted? I'd like to clean that stuff off and I can't find it in Finder. Finder is my biggest annoyance so far, it feels like it's actively trying to keep me from seeing every single file at once (and it won't let me change the name of the home directory folder...)

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Mr. Onslaught posted:

(and it won't let me change the name of the home directory folder...)

Are you talking about the name of your disk, which is probably "Macintosh HD" by default? If so, you can change the name by right clicking it and selecting "Get Info."

As for cleaning off files from deleted applications, are you looking for a way to view hidden files and folders? What are you trying to find?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Are you talking about the name of your disk, which is probably "Macintosh HD" by default? If so, you can change the name by right clicking it and selecting "Get Info."

As for cleaning off files from deleted applications, are you looking for a way to view hidden files and folders? What are you trying to find?

Not the Macintosh HD, hmm I'm not sure what to call it. Basically there is a picture of a house that says Danny underneath it (name of the dude I bought this from, he did a fresh install but needed to run the setup before giving it to me to put an HD temp control on since it has an SSD). I thought that was called the home folder? I love using ctrl shift 4 to screenshot, so here's what I mean:

As far as cleaning files from deleted applications, I'm just getting the impression that lots of stuff is left behind that would have been deleted if I had done a proper uninstall of the app. Like one app I deleted, then later on reinstalled for some reason and ran it again and it had a bunch of my settings in place from the previous time I used it, so I know there is some stuff floating around from deleted apps that I am unable to see.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm still relatively new to OS X, and this was a bit annoying. I've been deleting apps just by dragging them from the app folder to the trash, which is what I thought the suggested method was. I see now that there are other methods of doing it, so I'll use those in the future....but what about all the stuff I already deleted? I'd like to clean that stuff off and I can't find it in Finder. Finder is my biggest annoyance so far, it feels like it's actively trying to keep me from seeing every single file at once (and it won't let me change the name of the home directory folder...)

That is the recommended way to delete apps. What other ways are you referring to? (you can delete them from the Launchpad interface too, but as far as I know that's not any better).

What is "that suff" you'd like to clean off? It appears you're referring to stuff you've already deleted, but that makes no sense. Be less vague. (While you're at you might be specific about your issues with the Finder and maybe people can suggest a better workflow for whatever it is you're trying to do.)

As for your home folder name, that is set to your username can't be changed in Finder for various Unixy reasons. If you really want to go loving around with it, change it in Terminal and then go to Users and Groups in the system preferences, right click your account in the list, and choose "advanced settings..." which should then give you the option to update your home folder path to whatever you just changed it to with Terminal (note I'm not responsible if yourmshit blows up).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Martytoof posted:

Cloud storage and ZFS don't need to be mutually exclusive.
Right and I had emphasized that I never said that. I had only replied to someone who was pretending to make it look like that.

Martytoof posted:

So obviously this still isn't a huge amount of installations if compared to the number of users on a Mac in a non-enterprise environment, but it's a perfect example of why ZFS would be beneficial over cloud storage.

Very true (though I'd be interested in knowing how popular OS X Server really is).

At the danger of committing an appeal to authority fallacy, I'm sure there is a reason behind Apple not going with ZFS that is better than "being dumb" or "not seeing the benefits" and it's doubtful that they wouldn't have the resources. Maybe some legal considerations? The wikipedia page on ZFS is giving that as the reason for Linux not having it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Okay, you elaborated while I was typing.

I've installed SSDs in lots of macs and have never had to install any temperature control poo poo, that sounds funny to me. But whatever, that's neither here nor there and your model Mac may be different than any of mine I suppose.

What you should have done (if using a fresh install truly wasn't an option) was create your own account when your got the computer, and then delete his. But at this point you can just follow the instructions I gave you above.

As to deleting app data, 99.9% of the time that isn't something to worry about. Most app data isn't more than a few megabytes (often just kilobytes). But if it really bothers you, it's all in the Library folder in your home folder. As of Lion, Apple hid this folder (stupid) as of Lion but you can get to it by holding the option key when you open the Finder's "go" menu and then selecting "Library". App data is stored in a few different folders inside Library: Application Support, Preferences, and Containers (for sandboxed apps). Look though it if you're curious, but really if the idea of having old settings files lying around in there bothers you you're best off using a third-party app to help keep that poo poo in line (like AppZapper) than trying to delete it manually. My advice is to stop worrying about it.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Mr. Onslaught posted:

To elaborate on what Choadmaster said, in general, yes - dragging the app to trash will leave some preferences, and you can delete those preferences either by finding them manually and removing them, or using something like AppZapper, but they are nothing more than 2kb text files in a hidden system folder. They don't clutter your Mac in any way. It's not like they're loaded into memory or anything like that, so there's very little reason to remove them, and dragging the app to the trash is the recommended method of deleting apps.

There are exceptions to the above: some big applications (more often then not, cross-platform ones), which come with an installer (which asks for the administrator password), you should probably uninstall. I'd feel weary just dragging Photoshop.app and Microsoft Word.app to the trash. They both come with uninstallers I believe.

edit: anything compiled from source is a bitch to remove as well, but if you're compiling from source, I'm assuming you know what you're doing.

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 18, 2012

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I love using ctrl shift 4 to screenshot, so here's what I mean:

If you like that, you'll probably be happy to know that if you hit the space bar after you hit cmd+shift+4, you can select a particular window to get a nice, clean screenshot of just that window.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

So it's not worth worrying about leftover traces and I can just keep dragging stuff to the trash? Neato. Still a bit bugged about "Danny" as my home folder but I guess it doesn't matter that much.

quote:

If you like that, you'll probably be happy to know that if you hit the space bar after you hit cmd+shift+4, you can select a particular window to get a nice, clean screenshot of just that window.

:aaaaa:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

Right and I had emphasized that I never said that. I had only replied to someone who was pretending to make it look like that.

Very true (though I'd be interested in knowing how popular OS X Server really is).

At the danger of committing an appeal to authority fallacy, I'm sure there is a reason behind Apple not going with ZFS that is better than "being dumb" or "not seeing the benefits" and it's doubtful that they wouldn't have the resources. Maybe some legal considerations? The wikipedia page on ZFS is giving that as the reason for Linux not having it.
Yeah the legal stuff is the most likely guess (and was mentioned before :v:). Apple started on it years ago when Sun was still around, then some time after Oracle bought them I think they put it on hold indefinitely. Found this old article on it.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

So it's not worth worrying about leftover traces and I can just keep dragging stuff to the trash? Neato. Still a bit bugged about "Danny" as my home folder but I guess it doesn't matter that much.
Make your own account and trash that one...unless it's needed for one of those things he installed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Here's how to change your home folder name:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Here's how to change your home folder name:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

That seems a lot more complicated than this

http://www.cultofmac.com/126621/how-to-move-or-rename-your-mac-home-folder-macrx/

I'm gonna try one of them right now, which one shall it be? Hopefully my potentially disastrous tinkering over something really trivial like the name of a folder is entertaining :f5:

Edit: Ok I just did the official one you linked using the root user, it took like 45 seconds and was completely painless, thanks. One weird thing, my home folder was def "Danny" before, but when I changed the home folder to the name I wanted the instructions said that everything had to be lowercase. Is that accurate?

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 18, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

That seems a lot more complicated than this

http://www.cultofmac.com/126621/how...e-folder-macrx/

I'm gonna try one of them right now, which one shall it be? Hopefully my potentially disastrous tinkering over something really trivial like the name of a folder is entertaining :f5:

Edit: Ok I just did the official one you linked using the root user, it took like 45 seconds and was completely painless, thanks. One weird thing, my home folder was def "Danny" before, but when I changed the home folder to the name I wanted the instructions said that everything had to be lowercase. Is that accurate?
Apple's article covers all of the strange possibilities for permissions issues, etc. You might not have needed to do the extra steps in there, but it doesn't hurt to have done them.

It's generally recommended to use all-lowercase characters in short names/Home directory names. However, I haven't seen software that has had a problem with mixed-case names in a long time.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe I'll just be a fuckface and change it again then to be capitalized

I was OCD enough to care about changing it in the first place, so I might as well play with fire and go through the process one more time with a capitalized home folder name :twisted:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sonic Dude posted:

Apple's article covers all of the strange possibilities for permissions issues, etc. You might not have needed to do the extra steps in there, but it doesn't hurt to have done them.

It's generally recommended to use all-lowercase characters in short names/Home directory names. However, I haven't seen software that has had a problem with mixed-case names in a long time.

Yeah, that article is covering mostly the same steps, you are just being more direct by using the terminal and looking up the UIDs yourself. The apple way abstracts most of this away from the user. Depends on what you're most comfortable with.

Glad it worked for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, apparently somehow my Time Machine backups all got corrupt. My computer froze the other day and when I restarted I had the infinite loading icon at the Mac boot screen, so I went into recovery and spent 10 hours restoring from a previous backup. That didn't work, so I tried it again. And again, it didn't work. Repeat about 4 times over the course of a few days. Finally I realized I could boot into my Windows partition just fine and when I checked my external most of the files and folders that are on there are 0kb blank files now. The other files I have saved on there (videos, mostly) are in tact, just everything in the Backups.backupdb folder are like this. Am I totally hosed? Do I just have to reinstall OSX and start fresh? How could something like this have happened?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

echobucket posted:

I believe the old white iMacs that had both FW400 and FW800 ports actually shared a single Firewire controller... so I'd imagine there wouldn't be much of a difference really.

This is an aluminum from late '08, not an old white one.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

explosivo posted:

So, apparently somehow my Time Machine backups all got corrupt.

See if you can view the files properly from inside the recovery partition. You might have to use Terminal... I wouldn't trust that the Windows HFS+ driver can properly understand the weird stuff that goes on inside Backups.backupdb.

Did you look in an earlier backup folder? Maybe the corruption only started recently.

Hold Command-V at the boot screen to see the kernel debug text that might explain why it's stuck at the spinny icon. If you can take a picture it would help.

I'd take it to the Geniuses, if you can, to see what they make of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

chimz posted:

Well, I used to be able to just go into my Time Machine backups from Windows and access files and folders that were in there just fine, but now they all look like this:

I checked all the backups that I had too, and they all seem to be this way. Now, the weird thing is I just checked the contents of my Mac partition from here and it all appears to be in tact, which had to have all been recovered from a backup because I formatted and restored that partition many times. This is the best picture of the debug text I could get. It's linked for hugeness

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm sure this is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway: Is there any way to take a Parallels Windows VM and deploy it onto PC hardware (a standard Dell laptop) such that the VM instance becomes the native operating system of the hardware?

Failing that, are Parallels pvm files readable by any of the Windows virtual machine apps?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why is the Microsoft RDP client such a flaming pile of poo poo? I swear half the time I close a session it never closes and I'm stuck in some quasi-connected state with a black window that won't go away until I force quit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Why is the Microsoft RDP client such a flaming pile of poo poo? I swear half the time I close a session it never closes and I'm stuck in some quasi-connected state with a black window that won't go away until I force quit.
Though development is slow on it, I much prefer CoRD to Microsoft's client.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thank you thank you thank you!

e: does anyone know of a simple app to send Wake on LAN packets?

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 18, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wish I could use this, but we use certificates now :\

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

explosivo posted:

Well, I used to be able to just go into my Time Machine backups from Windows and access files and folders that were in there just fine, but now they all look like this:

I checked all the backups that I had too, and they all seem to be this way. Now, the weird thing is I just checked the contents of my Mac partition from here and it all appears to be in tact, which had to have all been recovered from a backup because I formatted and restored that partition many times. This is the best picture of the debug text I could get. It's linked for hugeness
That's what he was talking about, most files will probably be seen as 0 in there cause most of them are just links to the actual files, I'd be surprised if the Windows HFS driver read them properly.

That said I have no clue on what the problem could be...well your debug shot shows fsck popping up some message about orphaned/unlinked files and directories so I guess something with the drive or FS is messed up, may have been repaired if the latter. Did you check the disks before you tried recovering?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ZShakespeare posted:

Thank you thank you thank you!

e: does anyone know of a simple app to send Wake on LAN packets?

Would this work?

http://software.doogul.com/wom/

I can't remember the last time I had to use that.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I have a thunderbolt display attached to my imac and FaceTime wants to use the camera on the second monitor. How do I select which camera FaceTime uses?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fren posted:

I have a thunderbolt display attached to my imac and FaceTime wants to use the camera on the second monitor. How do I select which camera FaceTime uses?

They should both be listed under the Video menu

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

japtor posted:

That said I have no clue on what the problem could be...well your debug shot shows fsck popping up some message about orphaned/unlinked files and directories so I guess something with the drive or FS is messed up, may have been repaired if the latter. Did you check the disks before you tried recovering?

Yeah, I did check the disk every time before formatting/recovering, but it always said there were no issues found. Clearly there is an issue, dammit. :mad:

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just take it into the store to see what they tell me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Did they ever give a reason for it?
Licensing. It doesn't help that Netapp did (and patented) a lot of the cool stuff in WAFL that later appeared in ZFS. ZFS makes more sense to me though.

Bob Morales posted:

Use CoRD.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 19, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flavor posted:

Number of times me and other Mac users that I know have lost files/data in mysterious ways that wouldn't have happened on ZFS: 0.
That's nice and all but hard drives in general are untrustworthy, unreliable pieces of poo poo.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

pretty sure that was his exact point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

El Duke posted:

pretty sure that was his exact point.
That's not what he said.

The point is that cloud storage will happily take files that your local filesystem's already corrupted. Generally, a local FS will always be a necessary pit-stop for your bits, so why not make it less sucky. They took DTrace for free, they could have done the exact same thing for ZFS.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

explosivo posted:

debug text

What's this weird log message?:
2.2.05 m168efe17

Do you have a really old version of Little Snitch installed?

Try holding Shift on boot, then downloading and running the Little Snitch uninstaller.

If Shift doesn't get you into safe boot, you'll need to boot into recovery and remove the Little Snitch kext at /System/Library/ Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've recently gotten into 1Password, and I'm impressed with the app and its browser integration etc. Are there any big issues to be aware of or reasons *not* to use it before I migrate my life there?