Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

From the Le Mans rulebook:

"PASSING
It is the responsibility of both the overtaking Driver and the Driver being overtaken to assure safe overtaking at racing speeds. A car traveling alone may use the full width of the track. Overtaking may be either right or left depending on the conditions of the moment."

Got a better source for me?

e: From the F1 rulebook:

20.4 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
Those rules are incredibly vague. What constitutes "alone?" What constitutes "racing speed?" The only source I can give you is what I saw cars black flagged for at actual races with real actual cars: car being passed should maintain their line and not swerve around erratically, while the car passing should do so without affecting the target car's line. As I said, there's a big difference between deliberate blocking and simply being slow or choosing a lovely line. In fact, notice they even use the word "deliberate" themselves.

Like I said, I didn't see the incident, so maybe the dude did something assholish and you were the victim, I don't know. I'm not passing judgement on that, I'm just saying if the guy didn't see you, and was simply following a consistent line, and a wreck occurred, then he isn't really to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Hey look at this, there's a lot of new posts. It must be something important announced....Oh :suicide:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Symphoric posted:

car being passed should maintain their line and not swerve around erratically, while the car passing should do so without affecting the target cars line.

No poo poo! So how in the gently caress does going side by side into a corner affect the target car's line if the car passing him is already on the racing line before the corner :psyduck:

Literally every time I've seen two cars in this situation, the car being passed who is not on the preferred line either gives or tries to hold tight. I've never seen them come down on the car attempting to get around them, regardless of whether said car is half in front or half behind them, because it's a dumb move that would end with both cars crashed; nor have I ever seen the passing car penalized in any way for being on the preferred line even if he is not fully alongside the car he is passing before the corner entry. Maybe in lower level SCCA-type events it's against the rules because amateur drivers and all that, but this situation happens pretty much every week in major road racing series' and I've never seen or heard a complaint about it.

VVV I do have a Kinect. It was a waste of money, just like the Wii :smith:

Although if you could enable just the head tracking and keep driving with a controller/wheel, I'd be all over interior view. Oh well.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2012

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Look at these scrubs who don't have Kinect Head Trackingtm whining about cockpit FOV.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

GhostDog posted:

Someone should play race director, like those dudes playing air traffic controllers in flight sims.
Except playing air traffic controller is actually fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This incident took place during one of the goon organized weekly races, correct? Wouldn't this discussion be better suited in its private server thread? It's really not fair to take over the thread with something that only a handful of goons even saw, and can comment on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This is why the next Forza needs a "get out of car, throw helmet and fight other player" option.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is why the next Forza needs a "get out of car, throw helmet and fight other player" option.

Hahah, this would be awesome. Real talk for a moment though; Forza doesn't simulate real world racing rules, it doesn't even try, and so it's not really worth trying to implement the real thing into a game like this. Like in the real world, a lot of drivers get screwed over by other drivers making dumb mistakes. Everyone moves on, and the next week its like nothing even happened.

Just saying, this is a video game, lets just relax, you didn't have a couple million dollar car totaled. Your virtual machine is still standing, and in FM4 you can't be knocked out of a race completely unless you are flipped over on simulation damage.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Literally every time I've seen two cars in this situation, the car being passed who is not on the preferred line either gives or tries to hold tight. I've never seen them come down on the car attempting to get around them, regardless of whether said car is half in front or half behind them, because it's a dumb move that would end with both cars crashed; nor have I ever seen the passing car penalized in any way for being on the preferred line even if he is not fully alongside the car he is passing before the corner entry. Maybe in lower level SCCA-type events it's against the rules because amateur drivers and all that, but this situation happens pretty much every week in major road racing series' and I've never seen or heard a complaint about it.
Don't want to piss people off continuing this discussion, but I honestly think it's kind of fun/interesting. I think you hit the nail on the head with the talent disparity. The upper echelon of racers are willing to take bigger risks because A) they have great talent and confidence, and B) they have reasonable confidence that the dude they are passing has enough spatial awareness to know what's going on, because he's at least good enough to compete at the top level.

Ayrton Senna broke all the rules constantly, but to him it didn't matter because he either made the pass without incident so nobody cared much, or he crashed and hosed his car up bad enough that getting black flagged didn't matter anyway.

In lower levels of racing, the level of talent and experience is much lower. Novice drivers get special tags so everybody knows to keep way the gently caress away from them. I think it's fair to say any video game is generally scraping the very bottom of the talent pool. The rules are essentially the same, it's just that bending and breaking them is much riskier.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah, guys, the multi screen option allows you to play with cockpit viewing distances. I turned it off because it has issues with applying liveries in single player mode, but it can change the camera to make you sit ~2x closer to the steering wheel. I kinda hate that about this game too (lack of visibility in interior mode).

It's not changing the distance though (unless there's another option I'm unaware of), it's changing your field of view so you're zooming in on the window area which doesn't really help with situational awareness. It would be so much nicer if you could actually change your head position since all the modern cars put you in the perspective of a midget.

I said come in! posted:

Hahah, this would be awesome. Real talk for a moment though; Forza doesn't simulate real world racing rules, it doesn't even try, and so it's not really worth trying to implement the real thing into a game like this. Like in the real world, a lot of drivers get screwed over by other drivers making dumb mistakes. Everyone moves on, and the next week its like nothing even happened.

Just saying, this is a video game, lets just relax, you didn't have a couple million dollar car totaled. Your virtual machine is still standing, and in FM4 you can't be knocked out of arace completely unless you are flipped over on simulation damage.

The damage can get annoying in long races. It doesn't ever make me truly angry (since I can never get near first anyway) but it can be disappointing when you're having a good race and doesn't feel like it adds much to the game unless everyone you're playing with is being really cautious, it feels more like a random chance that your car will get destroyed in the first few turns, at least in goon races.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It'd be great! And it'd justify my Kinect!

I said come in! posted:

Just saying, this is a video game, lets just relax, you didn't have a couple million dollar car totaled. Your virtual machine is still standing, and in FM4 you can't be knocked out of a race completely unless you are flipped over on simulation damage.

I agree, and if I wanted people to get super spergy about ~real racing rules~ I'd recommend that they play iRacing, as I've said before. This game is generally a lot more chill and I really don't care about 99% of mistakes. Getting taken out on lap 27 or whatever of a 30 lap race by a lapper after being extra careful the entire race just set me off, and I apologize for this terrible derail.

Not that I'm even mad at him for it; it's more the people (or more specifically, person) who felt the need to chime in when they weren't even there and decided to make assumptions that they had no right to make (hint: not Symphoric). Discussions about proper passing techniques is fine, regardless of disagreements on the specifics; in fact, I think more in-depth discussions of racing techniques in general would benefit everyone anyway and would be a lot better than derails about one incident. However, suggesting that I made a dangerous pass and asking about my safety score in a game I've never played is just stupid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Proper passing techniques are totally something i'm interested in reading about. The few goons with real world racing experience, that have chimed in throughout this thread, posting their experiences, have been a joy to read.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

One of the things I really wished would have appeared in Forza 4 would be training drills on proper passing at speed, amongst other things. Instead Turn10 just gives you a 1-4 rating on your pass depending on how close you were to the other person. :downs:

Reading about it isn't the same as doing it, since you really need to learn things as reflexes. I learned very quickly that "car up ahead" isn't "follow that car" when I plowed full speed into someone on a straight on my first night of GTCC racing and was trying to follow other people's lines. Haven't made the same mistake again. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 19, 2012

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Turning on multi-screen with the "distance between screens" set to 90, you end up sitting a bit further back, which may help a little bit with visibility. Though You lose the ability to do 45 degree free look.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

I said come in! posted:

unless you are flipped over on simulation damage.

Good edit. Was about to say, "but what about..."

Anyway, see Goons? This is why you should race with us. We get angry.

Wait, that's more of a reason to avoid us.

How about this: Project car LeMons next week! For equality, we're setting a benchmark lap time. The goal is for your car, fully built to be within 1 second of this laptime on new Le Mans. This can be achieved by normal means, 30% power handicap, 45% power handicap, or 60% power handicap.

Find your favorite failed project (faux-rarri's are a great example) car online, post up the link, and make your car meet the target time, which will be established hopefully tomorrow.

Some examples include Clarkson's Starion (Clitheroe Carpets gets blocked from the storefront by Forza's language filter), a Fiero made into a Faux-rarri, and a 10020423450923-colored GNX with Donks.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Although if you could enable just the head tracking and keep driving with a controller/wheel, I'd be all over interior view. Oh well.

You can, I've done it, although I didn't leave head tracking on for long.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It is required from now on that you add this gamertag to your friends list.

He must also be invited to every race.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Then I don't understand the point he was trying to make. I was on the preferred line side by side going into a sweeping corner and the car I was passing came down on me, forcing me into the dirt and causing an accident. I mean, the cause of that accident was already discussed, so I don't get why he'd bring that up.
I wasn't referring to any specific incident. I wasn't racing with you, there's no replay, I have no idea what happened.

That said, if you find yourself continually involved in accidents and you're not playing in pubbie games where headhunting and playing demolition derby is an active part of "competition", then I'd say the blame probably lies with you. The fact that you talk about how you're continually in collisions when passing and not when someone is passing you leads me to believe that you routinely try unsafe passes and try to place the blame on someone else.

Symphoric posted:

I wasn't in the race so I obviously didn't see it happen, but the way you described it made me think you were lapping some slow dude, you both converged somewhere, and it caused a wreck. Even in cockpit view, if you are actually ahead of that guy, there really isn't any way he wouldn't see you. If you haven't actually passed him yet (so he can see you), the line (whatever line that may be) is still owned by him.
Bingo. In cockpit view, I can see everything I need to see. If you are in front of me and making a safe pass, I can see your car. The only way I can't see your car in cockpit view is if your front bumper is behind my front fender. And if that's the case, you don't have the right of way, no matter how much you think you do.

Now, I've done real racing and I even instruct for NASA. The general accepted rule is that barring truly unsafe behavior, it is solely the responsibility of the passing car to execute a safe pass. Now, that said, some of the best drivers (Aryton Senna is a perfect example) will place you into a situation where you will have to decide if you will risk a collision and hold your line or if you'll back off, let him make the pass and try to make the position up later. But make no mistake, if he puts you in that situation and you do not yield, he is responsible for the collision. Is it routinely punished? It depends. Sometimes it's just a "racing incident". However, if you're routinely putting your car in positions where you expect the lead car to yield (stuffing your car down in the corner, hoping to get position on the inside and blocking the racing line), I can promise you that you can expect to be banned in short order, especially in lower levels of racing. In upper levels of racing, like F1 and Le Mans, it's expected that everyone is a professional (meaning they won't routinely engage in unsafe behavior) and that sometimes things happen and everyone accepts that risk. Then again, in upper levels of racing, a driver who is involved in several car to car contacts in a season likely won't even have a ride next season, and it doesn't matter who is "at fault".

Blocking rules do exist to keep people from engaging in frustrating and dangerous blocking maneuvers during passing. You're generally allowed one move to block. You can't weave all over the track to block someone and you can't pick your racing line and then move around to block a faster car from coming around.

But that's different than what you're describing. You're describing racing incidents where the driver being passed didn't see you, not where he moved to block you and caused a collision. You must remember that it is not his responsibility to know where you are and it is not his responsibility to avoid a collision or get out of your way. If you are alongside another car and attempting to pass, it is your responsibility to do it safely and present yourself in such a manner that he can see you as you're executing the pass -- ie, you put your front bumper in front of his.

I asked about your safety rating in iRacing because you brought up the game, and I was curious if you were considered a safe driver there or if "other people keep crashing into me!"

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 19, 2012

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Holy gently caress look at all the sperglords come out of the woodwork here.

This is why I don't race Goonspec on Wednesday nights anymore. It's been ruined by too many people whining about being tapped or bumped or whatever other stupid complaint they can come up with. It's a video game, relax.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 19, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

Proper passing techniques are totally something i'm interested in reading about. The few goons with real world racing experience, that have chimed in throughout this thread, posting their experiences, have been a joy to read.

Just a quick primer.

As was mentioned, the ultimate responsibility for a safe pass lies with the person doing the passing. The responsibility for the driver being passed is to maintain his line -- regardless of where that line goes -- and yield when he is no longer in front.

It is a good idea to keep spatial awareness while being passed because the race is still lost even if you were "right" in the collision analysis and because you don't want to be surprised by a driver suddenly appearing in front of you that you must yield to.

Here's a pretty good example of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeefhFY-GKQ
From what I remember, no one was technically held at fault. However, McNish (in the Audi) has actually "completed" the pass and presented himself in front of the Ferrari driver. However, at the time they entered into the corner the Ferrari technically had right of way and never deviated from his racing line. Had McNish not been so aggressive early in the race, this never would have happened. By the same token, had the Ferrari driver been a little more spatially aware, he could have avoided the collision entirely.

I think the reason this was chalked up to a racing incident is because while McNish technically had the right of way at the moment of collision, it was his responsibility to execute a safe pass. He took a chance and it didn't pay off.

You can also watch this, which is some of the best racing I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0LHqNAiWPk
Both Magnussen (Corvette) and Bergmeister (Porsche) were handed suspensions for this racing incident. Magnussen was handed a probation for their actions. Magnussen was being overly aggressive, as he was frustrated by the fact that Bergmeister executed some superlative (and legal) blocking despite being the slower car. Magnussen did not execute a safe pass (his responsibility) and kept pushing it and taking chances including car-to-car contact in the last corner. Bergmeister pushed Magnussen to the wall and continued pushing even when Magnussen had passed him and was technically required to yield right of way.

Pass in the straights if you can. Most beginner racers seem to want to pass in the corners. It's very difficult to set up a safe pass on the straights, and it's easy to dive down in a corner, late brake, take a horrible line, and put both cars and drivers at extreme risk. It's far better to take a very late apex through the corner, use the entire corner for acceleration, and while the other driver is still dealing with track out, pass him on the inside of the straight. Setting it up properly is difficult however, because you may only be able to execute this in one or two places on the track and if you have not closed the distance before the corner, you will not even be able to do it there. Remember, the most important corner on the whole track is the corner before the longest straight. The next most important corner is the one before the second longest straight.

Also, Le Mans and F1 can have differing racing rules due to several factors. One, this is the top echelon of racing. Two, Le Mans typically has different classes of cars, with one being significantly faster than the other. Three, F1 has open wheel cars where car to car contact can easily result in cars being launched into the air by tire on tire contact.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

This is why I don't race Goonspec on Wednesday nights anymore. It's been ruined by too many people whining about being tapped or bumped or whatever other stupid complaint they can come up with. It's a video game, relax.
This is the only input I am going to make on this matter. I feel like the biggest issue, and it's not really a problem per-se, is that the groups that show up have a very wide variance in skill levels combined with the fact that a lot of you aren't doing any sort of practice before showing up for the race. Practice laps won't really help you avoid collisions if you get nervous when another car is near you, but it will make you familiar with the driving line and handling of the car you're in.

Also, I'd vote for a separate Private Game Servers to continue the discussion about the AUGR races. SAEG and GTCC have threads. If no one's made one then I'll make one when I get home from work in like 2 hours.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

VERTiG0 posted:

I would agree. However, if you want to complain about people not being "fully aware" of your passing and "causing a collision", I fully expect you to know all the passing rules and how to execute a safe pass.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The other thing is I don't think real race car drivers don't have headphones that let them talk to the other drivers like you can on internet racecars, so if you're lapping someone you might want to give them a quick heads up in case they aren't paying attention?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ANAmal.net posted:

The other thing is I don't think real race car drivers don't have headphones that let them talk to the other drivers like you can on internet racecars, so if you're lapping someone you might want to give them a quick heads up in case they aren't paying attention?

Thats the trouble some times as well. Forza 4 doesn't have a blue flag to indicate that a leader car is coming up behind you. While a microphone will probably help, having another indicator is great since sometimes with a full 16 player lobby, it can get lost in the chat.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Thats the trouble some times as well. Forza 4 doesn't have a blue flag to indicate that a leader car is coming up behind you. While a microphone will probably help, having another indicator is great since sometimes with a full 16 player lobby, it can get lost in the chat.

Track map/radar is a wonderful thing.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

CaseFace McGee posted:

Vertigo, that bums me out. I enjoyed having you in our races, Silverstone incident aside.

Some people, me included, got a heavy dose of the competitive gene, and occasionally it pokes out while playing Forza. Fortunately, it's a video game and not life.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

CaseFace McGee posted:

True, but it just shows a car's position, not if they're lapping you. I usually don't stare at the track map/radar since I don't want to get too focused on it instead of the road.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The track radar/distance behind thing needs a rework for Forza 5, especially for multiple class racing. It's great to know that I'm in second place in GT2, but how far back is the person in the freaking LMP1 from climbing up my arse?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Dice racing in 30, gt is bentron

Force 7
Mar 24, 2012
Wow, I missed quite the thread. I'm not going to weigh in as enough has been said, but I will say one thing - I apologize for any whining I may have done. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ringo Star Get posted:

True, but it just shows a car's position, not if they're lapping you. I usually don't stare at the track map/radar since I don't want to get too focused on it instead of the road.

If a car is coming up on me (or me up on him), I usually take a quick glance at the distances to see if it's someone I'm competitive with. If I know someone might be trying to pass me, I try to give them a wide berth (else I lag-kill them). If GTCC has taught me anything, it's patience. It also helps practicing the night before to figure out where the passing "zones" are on a track.

Also, GTCC goes on about bumping, rubbing, and rear ending, but it's usually not race related.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So where do we find the lap time we are supposed to be tuning our car towards for the GonMons project car race?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

Also, GTCC goes on about bumping, rubbing, and rear ending, but it's usually not race related.

I'm gonna make a crew for like me and Howdy and Frago and Phancy and call it the Backmarker Bros, and if you ever finish above mid-field we kick you the gently caress out. There's gonna be a logo and everything.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm gonna make a crew for like me and Howdy and Frago and Phancy and call it the Backmarker Bros, and if you ever finish above mid-field we kick you the gently caress out. There's gonna be a logo and everything.

Hell yeah, bro, except it's already called G2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ANAmal.net posted:

Can I join. Thanks to being punted off the track every race, I've gone from midfield to backmarker.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You jest, but I wouldn't mind the characters approaching each other and have some sort of Tekken-esque minigame where you get to beach the poo poo out of each other for the remainder of the race if the cars are totalled. I'm probably the only one that cares for this.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Liku posted:

You jest, but I wouldn't mind the characters approaching each other and have some sort of Tekken-esque minigame where you get to beach the poo poo out of each other for the remainder of the race if the cars are totalled. I'm probably the only one that cares for this.

Surely, all goons would love such a feature.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Can I join. Thanks to being punted off the track every race, I've gone from midfield to backmarker.

I think you're probably too good for us, but you're cool, so gently caress it, why not.

Day Man posted:

Hell yeah, bro, except it's already called G2.

See, the thing is, since roughly when I started with GTCC, I always wanted to be G2, but I showed up too late and I don't want to horn in on what is clearly a very protected label. I made it a point to refer to my Forza 3 overflow lobbies as Group B, because Group 2 (best group 2?) isn't something you just take, you have you earn it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm so old school I raced GTCC before it became the regular one and this group 2 whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Liku posted:

This is literally all I would ever do.

• Locked thread