Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Alright thanks for the pro tips. Back at it later this afternoon.

Is it just me or is the message system way more flexible than in Dark Souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

EC posted:

Alright thanks for the pro tips. Back at it later this afternoon.

Is it just me or is the message system way more flexible than in Dark Souls?

Yes. It's one of the downsides of Dark.

In Demons, you just hit select and you can put down a message and/or rate messages.

Dark Souls makes this worse by turning it into an item. It's effectively taking away a dedicated button to one of the big game features.

Also Demon's Souls has more phrases and don't forget:

The Real Demon's Souls starts here.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just to confirm something regarding stats: My catalyst scales off of INT, so the higher my INT the more damage my spells will do. What does Magic do? I see that it increases "magic power" but I'm not sure what that is.

And to make sure I'm on the right track at SL27:

VIT 13
INT 18
END 9
STR 11
DEX 19
MAG 18

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
This may not work as well since the game's online candle is starting to burn out, but once you free a certain female NPC, simply placing the message "Sticky white stuff" next to her could make you efffectively immortal as people kept up-rating your message :v:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

Yes. It's one of the downsides of Dark.

In Demons, you just hit select and you can put down a message and/or rate messages.

Dark Souls makes this worse by turning it into an item. It's effectively taking away a dedicated button to one of the big game features.

Also Demon's Souls has more phrases and don't forget:

The Real Demon's Souls starts here.

On the other hand, Dark Souls lets you tell people to try giving up. You gain some you lose some.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've managed to get down the shortcut and fight Flamelurker once, and have died just trying to get back down there ever since. :sigh:

The good news is I managed to do pretty well against him. I sort of assumed the boss would be a fire dude, so I went in with Water Veil and the flame resist ring. Seemed to work well with me dodging and then casting soul ray, at least until he chained three of his AOE attacks in a row and I got stuck in the first.

If I can manage to get down there, I think the next attempt will go even better.

Edit: oh man that demon hunter dude died. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, made some progress today. Took down Flamerlurker the second time I battled him, although I died a thousand times between the first and the second trying to get drop down that hole. After that, I took my Dragon Sword +1 to the blacksmith and got it up to +4, and headed back to put down Maneater. That didn't go near as well, and I died another thousand times trying different tactics. I never even killed one of the drat things.

I decided to hit 4-1, and walked through the level thanks to the aforementioned dragon sword. Skeletons were going down in two hits, archers in one. The red eyed motherfuckers weren't any trouble, and my soul rays were cutting through the flying eels when they got close enough. I ran through the fog wall into Adjudicator's room without realizing where I was, and promptly got slammed through the floor.

Of course I died to the first skeleton when I restarted, but Dark Souls taught me to not care about losing currency so this was no surprise. I eventually made it back to the Judge, who is one weird looking motherfucker. This time I was able to get on the bottom floor, dodge his terrible attempts to make out with me attacks, and soul ray the little birdie on his head until he was dead.

I moved through the next area fairly quickly, and killed Patches when he showed up because gently caress that guy. Seriously.

As I was about to go kill the reaper/necromancer, I noticed my first summon sign! So I brought the dude into my game, and he promptly ran up the stairs and was killed instantly. It was a very :darksouls: kind of moment. I did kill the reaper, getting a sweet war scythe out of the deal, and have hit a very hard and very tall brick wall in the area immediately afterwards. I can't seem to clear out the flying eels with a bow or my spells, and they just tear me up when I try to avoid their attacks and kill the skeletons on the path.

So I've put it down for today. I'll probably go back and see what's after Flamelurker, or try to finally kill Maneater, or even hit 5-1.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Good plans, good luck.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, does anybody have any idea what the hell the Adjudicator is based off of? Did some developer just think "hey, let's make a really fat thing with a long tongue and a bird on his head. Monkey cheese!" or is there actually some kind of basis/mythology for a creature like that?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

GreatGreen posted:

So, does anybody have any idea what the hell the Adjudicator is based off of? Did some developer just think "hey, let's make a really fat thing with a long tongue and a bird on his head. Monkey cheese!" or is there actually some kind of basis/mythology for a creature like that?

As far as I can recall, it's just part of the game's mythology. The Adjudicator is actually just the muscle for the little golden bird, according to some of the lore you can find on various items. The deal is something along the lines that the people who used to inhabit the area around the Shrine offered their dead up to the Adjudicator for judgment - if they weren't sufficiently virtuous, then the ogre would hack them to pieces and eat them. Sort of like the Egyptian mythology surrounding death with Ma'at and Ammit.

As to why the fat man / little bird pairing? Why anything in this loving game? Everything is strange and horrible, just roll with it.

Chachi fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 21, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My experiences with Demons Souls this morning:

Hey there's a secret passage in this stairwell after the reaper guy. Oh a message! "Watch out for dangerous foe ah-" oh a red eyed dude one shots me with his dual katanas, excellent.

Ok, let's go check out that incredibly intimidating tunnel after Flamelurker. Dragon God, eh? Let me carefully approach-BAM DRAGON FIST YOU DIED.

I guess I'm gonna have to read up on white/black tendency, as I've seen several messages to the effect that I could progress in certain areas if it was all black/white. Do y'all suggest hitting the wiki, or keep trying to figure it out by myself?

Stray observations:
- Man, clerics are pompous dicks. I see why Patches is always kicking them down holes.
- The woman NPC can toss out a very creepy "Umbasa", right?
- I killed Yirt. The dude just seemed one boss-battle away from murdering everyone, and a bunch of corpses showed up around the Nexus when after I freed him. Hope I dont regret that!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Black/White tendency only affects getting certain weapons really. A lot of them are for gimmick builds.

Also it makes the game easier/harder. Don't worry about it until the 2nd playthrough.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
Maybe I'm just out of practice, but I'm having much more trouble with this than I did Dark. The bosses generally seem a little easier, but the levels are vicious and the absence of Dark's typical mid-level bonfire is keenly felt. I'm popping out some heavy sighs every time I falter at the very end of 4-2's gauntlet.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I got to the party late, having just grabbed this game a few weeks ago, but holy poo poo is it awesome. I picked the Wanderer because it seemed kind of neat and I guess I picked the worst best class for a beginner because you have no miracles and no magic and no ranged attack and actually some pretty crap armor, so you really get to learn how to block and dodge right out of the gate. Finding my first bow in 1-2 felt like a major accomplishment, and I really love how rewarding it feels to finally overcome some of the challenges in this game.

The amazing part to me is that the game feels very fair / balanced. I had heard that the game was OMG JUST IMPOSSIBLE but from my experiences, the game just rewards paying attention to poo poo and recognizing patterns. You only walk around a blind corner without having your shield up once before you realize not to ever do that again. I really like that pretty much everything in this game can be mastered, so you can eventually run through a level without taking a hit while simultaneously slaying all of the monsters. I also love that all of the worlds eventually turn into one continuous level - it makes everything feel much more cohesive.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

homeless poster posted:

I got to the party late, having just grabbed this game a few weeks ago, but holy poo poo is it awesome. I picked the Wanderer because it seemed kind of neat and I guess I picked the worst best class for a beginner because you have no miracles and no magic and no ranged attack and actually some pretty crap armor, so you really get to learn how to block and dodge right out of the gate. Finding my first bow in 1-2 felt like a major accomplishment, and I really love how rewarding it feels to finally overcome some of the challenges in this game.

The amazing part to me is that the game feels very fair / balanced. I had heard that the game was OMG JUST IMPOSSIBLE but from my experiences, the game just rewards paying attention to poo poo and recognizing patterns. You only walk around a blind corner without having your shield up once before you realize not to ever do that again. I really like that pretty much everything in this game can be mastered, so you can eventually run through a level without taking a hit while simultaneously slaying all of the monsters. I also love that all of the worlds eventually turn into one continuous level - it makes everything feel much more cohesive.

If you love that cohesiveness, you need to move to Dark Souls immediately. It has all the levels nearly connected to eat other (even if it's just, stand here on the cliffside and see this level you've beaten before).

It's a fully fleshed world now.

Also Dark Souls really is more of that amazing magic that is Demon's Souls. Some things are different, better and worse, but if you love Demon's Souls, it's hard not to love Dark Souls.

also a reminder: servers shut down on may 31st

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

I really hope I can finish the game and engage in some jolly co-operation before this happens. I'm moving at the speed of slug, though. :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I really hope I can finish the game and engage in some jolly co-operation before this happens. I'm moving at the speed of slug, though. :(

What worlds have you beaten?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

What worlds have you beaten?

I'll have to double check when I get back to the house tomorrow. I've gone through the Tower Knight in World 1, I'm up to Dragon God in 2, fighting Maneater in 3, and I just beat Adjudicator in 4. Haven't started 5 yet.

Does it work the same as DkS, just drop a sign and wait around to get summoned?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I'll have to double check when I get back to the house tomorrow. I've gone through the Tower Knight in World 1, I'm up to Dragon God in 2, fighting Maneater in 3, and I just beat Adjudicator in 4. Haven't started 5 yet.

Does it work the same as DkS, just drop a sign and wait around to get summoned?

Yes. You will find plenty of signs to summon in 1-3 and 1-4. There's often help for 4-2 especially around soul level 60.

Dragon god is all you need to do to beat world 2 and he's a puzzle fight. Once you beat Maneater, then you get to that world's archdemon and that world is done.

4-2 is a gauntlet and 4-3 is very easy (hint, look for a weapon in 4-3 that helps you defeat the archdemon)

World 5 is true absolute despair . But the bosses aren't that hard!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ineffiable posted:

World 5 is true absolute despair . But the bosses aren't that hard!

Yeah, if there's one word that sums up world 5, it's this. I think if I was forced through a game where they took Demon's Souls' world 5 and made the whole thing take place in a more expansive version of that place, I'd probably kill myself out of depression before the end of it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 21, 2012

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ineffiable posted:

So what does this mean? Will the game no longer load up at all, or will you just not be able to summon other players and likewise not have jackasses invade your game and ruin whatever progress you've been making? Because if it's the latter, that would actually improve the game IMO.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
It just means you will be forced to play offline mode only. If that's your preference anyway then it's no big deal.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I can't help but think that this game would be a hell of a lot harder if every boss wasn't completely destroyed by Thief's Ring + Any bow. Seriously, just stand at the very back of whatever chamber you fight the boss in and plink away and they'll go down without ever even touching you. So far the Red Dragon on the bridge in 1-2, every boss in World 2, and the Fool's Idol in 3-1 have fallen to my perfect strategy of firing arrows from behind a piece of terrain at the back of the boss arena. The Phalanx boss in 1-1 was the hardest fight so far because I didn't have a bow yet and he just rushed my face as soon as I walked through the fog.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

So you're complaining that the game isn't hard enough if you try to cheese it? Stop being a baby and fight them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ybrik posted:

So you're complaining that the game isn't hard enough if you try to cheese it? Stop being a baby and fight them.

You're definitely right about that, I guess I'm just more amazed that the AI seemingly wasn't programmed to address that kind of strategy. Even bosses with smaller arenas like the Flamelurker still have blind spots where the bones in the terrain make a safe spot that you can shoot out of and the boss can't seem to fight back.

It's weird because bow & arrows actually seems pretty OP in any situation where you know what's going to be coming up. I guess on the one hand it rewards mastering a level to the point that you know where you need to shoot before a monster pops out, but on the other I can't believe that this was never noted by the developers. It makes it feel like this was an intended method of getting past the game's challenges.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I think they intended the thief ring and bow to be used to draw things to you which they are very, very good at. They just didn't intend for you to be able to kill things with them which could explain the lack of thief ring and the nerf bows got in Dark Souls. I will admit that I had to use a bow to kill Armor Spider way back in '09 cause he was just too hard :lol:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah, Demon's Souls is easier to cheese, and that's probably why the developers said Dark Souls was harder. Also I could be wrong but pretty much every boss fight in Dark Souls aggros on you as soon as you enter.

But just wait until you do 3-2. Or 3-3.

Also melee armor spider is easier than you think. Zig zag your way up to armor spider, then when he slashes forward at you, just roll/block it. Then sometimes he staggers and smashes the ground but if you're in the middle of his face it misses you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Also I could be wrong but pretty much every boss fight in Dark Souls aggros on you as soon as you enter.

Ceaseless Discharge (lol)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Ceaseless Discharge (lol)

And Priscilla, but those two are both 'mostly' optional.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I just got to the Tower of Latria and this might be the creepiest game I've ever played. Even more than the lack of light I think it's the lack of music outside of the noble's wife singing that weirds me out. Just darkness and screams and awful poo poo everywhere. Finding out what those moving green lights were was not fun.

A question: Is there a better spot early on for getting souls than the Red eye knight in Boletaria Palace? I want to try the bastard sword but I'd need to gain six levels. I can kill the red eye knight pretty easily but I'm not sure if there's a faster option I'm missing. So far I've only killed phalanx and armored spider so I'm limited in where I can go.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

thizzin forever posted:

I just got to the Tower of Latria and this might be the creepiest game I've ever played. Even more than the lack of light I think it's the lack of music outside of the noble's wife singing that weirds me out. Just darkness and screams and awful poo poo everywhere. Finding out what those moving green lights were was not fun.

A question: Is there a better spot early on for getting souls than the Red eye knight in Boletaria Palace? I want to try the bastard sword but I'd need to gain six levels. I can kill the red eye knight pretty easily but I'm not sure if there's a faster option I'm missing. So far I've only killed phalanx and armored spider so I'm limited in where I can go.

Latria is just going to get worse.

Best place to get souls is 4-1. Bring a mace if you want, but the skeles aren't all that hard without one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TGLT posted:

Best place to get souls is 4-1. Bring a mace if you want, but the skeles aren't all that hard without one.

I used to just put a shield in my left hand and nothing in my right and punch them to death. Until I got the crescent falchion or blessed mace anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TGLT posted:

Starting of 4-2 gets you a ton if you can kill the reaper quickly (fire works best).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

actionjackson posted:

Starting of 4-2 gets you a ton if you can kill the reaper quickly (fire works best).

Since I was stuck at the beginning of this level, I got really good at rolling off the edge and soul raying the reaper through two of his weirdo friends until they were dead, then I'd finish the reaper with my fire sword. Quick and easy 4k souls.

It seems like you take way less damage from failing in this game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Since I was stuck at the beginning of this level, I got really good at rolling off the edge and soul raying the reaper through two of his weirdo friends until they were dead, then I'd finish the reaper with my fire sword. Quick and easy 4k souls.

It seems like you take way less damage from failing in this game.

I usually just run down the left catwalk, roll into the back left corner (there's a pot there that you smash doing things this way) where the reaper won't notice you, then charge him with a dragon weapon or whatever and kill him in a few shots. Loot his body, run down the steps and collect my soul sign if it's there, and run off the cliff. This saves you a loading screen and some running around in the nexus.

Most people just pelt him with arrows from the central ledge just past the switch. Farming the rays in 4-3 is also a good income but I prefer the reaper.

raton fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 23, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls is easier to cheese, and that's probably why the developers said Dark Souls was harder. Also I could be wrong but pretty much every boss fight in Dark Souls aggros on you as soon as you enter.

This actually was something they had to patch even in Demon's Souls itself. On release you could, as an example, walk halfway up the stairs to Allant, and just fire off a couple of poison clouds to kill him. It wasn't til a later patch that they gave bosses immunity to poison cloud and moved their starting positions so that they'd "see" you as soon as you enter the room.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Isn't it still possible to cheese Allant by wearing the thief ring, walking through the fog door and firing arrows at him? I don't think he'll aggro you until you take a step.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Does anyone have any tips to take down the Flamelurker? I'd rather not cheese it. So far I've finished 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1, but the Flamelurker is repeatedly owning me. I did manage to get his health down to about 33%, but I inevitably end up running low on stamina, and getting hit with a barrage of his attacks that I can't block and I die. For reference, I'm a soul level 30 Knight. I am using the crescent falchion I found in 4-1 as he appears to be weak to magic. I have soul arrow but my magic rating is only 10 and it doesn't appear to do much damage to him. I have the purple flame shield, which is flame resistant. I'm also using the flame resistance ring--maybe it'd make more sense to use the thief ring instead? I unequipped my head, leg, and arm armor to keep my equip burden low enough to sprint and roll quickly.

I'm afraid I'm going to run through my entire stock of full moon grass trying to kill him, but I guess that's easy enough farm in 1-1.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
With PFS and Crescent Falchion you should cakewalk Flamelurker. You're probably not managing your stamina well -- only go for more than one strike when your stamina is full or you're behind him. Try rolling into him or circling toward him instead of perpetually backing up.

• Locked thread