Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

GreatGreen posted:

Dead Souls: A Roguelike by From Software

I would never stop playing that game. Ever.

I would buy this immediately if there was a way to have open world pvp that was evenly matched. I like that feeling of seeing a guy and you both stop and think 'oh poo poo, can I do this?' Maybe having items that increased the frequency of human opponents and the distance from your level (based on other factors like what level/area zone you were in etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meiteron posted:

All you're really doing if you need to walk back a raw weapon is giving up whatever titanite you've sunk into upgrading it past +5 at this point. As long as you don't max out a raw weapon that's completely fine. Even if you DO max out a raw weapon in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty tiny fraction of your souls used up.

Like, worst case scenario, once you've reached a point in the game where raw isn't all that great anymore and there are better upgrade options, 30-60 minutes of farming souls would probably make up all the titanite you've used up to then. It might even be faster.

I'd say just fully upgrade the thing anyway if you care about trophies/achievements. It's not a huge deal and raw is the only upgrade tree that doesn't require a slab.

TheMostFrench posted:

I would buy this immediately if there was a way to have open world pvp that was evenly matched. I like that feeling of seeing a guy and you both stop and think 'oh poo poo, can I do this?' Maybe having items that increased the frequency of human opponents and the distance from your level (based on other factors like what level/area zone you were in etc).

I think this would be really cool if, instead of just being hostile to everyone ever it was up to the two (or more) of you. So you can attack each other, but you can decide not to. It'd be interesting to walk in on other groups just exploring, or a fight between a few people already in progress.

I think the running into people exploring thing is the most interesting thing in a way, because I'd like a world where there's more than one destination. To you it looks like another group is going backwards, but to them it's the destination. Just makes the world feel more alive to me.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 22, 2012

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the running into people exploring thing is the most interesting thing in a way, because I'd like a world where there's more than one destination. To you it looks like another group is going backwards, but to them it's the destination. Just makes the world feel more alive to me.

Yeah, they do go on about Dks/Des being these impossible and hard games all the time, but once you get into them there's the whole aspect of JOLLY COOPERATION which you don't hear about before hand, and people are always hanging out for help.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd say just fully upgrade the thing anyway if you care about trophies/achievements. It's not a huge deal and raw is the only upgrade tree that doesn't require a slab.

I think this would be really cool if, instead of just being hostile to everyone ever it was up to the two (or more) of you. So you can attack each other, but you can decide not to. It'd be interesting to walk in on other groups just exploring, or a fight between a few people already in progress.

What if they used the old virtue / honor system from the early days of Ultima Online? That way you could tell from someone's outward appearance what they were more likely to do.

i.e. "Dark Lord XxNinjaStabxX" will probably kick you off a ledge, while "Great Lord SirYorick" wants to help with a boss kill. It gets tougher with lower notoriety players, you don't know what they're about yet.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Ok need some suggestions, I really like the Drake Sword, should I upgrade it now that I've taken down a Hydra and gotten some drake scales or whatever, or should I find a better weapon? I'm pretty much up to Blight Town, having opened up the door after killing the Drake/Dragon thing in The Depths.

I dont really have a specific build per se, mostly geared towards a melee style build I guess.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The drake sword is going to be showing it's age pretty soon. Upgrade a weapon that scales with you best stat or use the cool little weapon that you'll find when you open up Sen's Fortress shortly.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

freeranger posted:

Ok need some suggestions, I really like the Drake Sword, should I upgrade it now that I've taken down a Hydra and gotten some drake scales or whatever, or should I find a better weapon? I'm pretty much up to Blight Town, having opened up the door after killing the Drake/Dragon thing in The Depths.

I dont really have a specific build per se, mostly geared towards a melee style build I guess.

I'm not very far along in the game myself, but I've read that you should keep your dragon scales for NG+ and ++ for a really good weapon. The drake sword doesn't scale at all, so you should pick a build first then find a weapon that suits it.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

freeranger posted:

While the Drake Sword is good at the beginning for it's high physical damage, it doesn't scale off any stats and upgrading it is generally not worth it. It'll be useful until right after the second bell, but won't help you much after that.

If you like it's move set then, aside from the two-handed R2, it's the same as the broadsword.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks all, I might have a mess about with some of the other weapons and see if I can easily adjust to them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

freeranger posted:

Thanks all, I might have a mess about with some of the other weapons and see if I can easily adjust to them.

Farm a balder side sword, if you like Drake Sword that one is going to be pure tits.

Also try the Claymore. It's found under the red dragons butt. The R2 on that thing is great.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Ah yes, Forest Hunting! Unlimited action with Havel-flipping WOG-TWOPping spawn-jumping derp-a-derps!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Under no circumstances should any reasonable, right thinking human go hunting in the forest. Anor Londo and the Kiln are way more fun times.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Under no circumstances should any reasonable, right thinking human go hunting in the forest. Anor Londo and the Kiln are way more fun times.

Anor Londo has too many places to hide, and Dark AL decreases the lock on distance so much it makes magic useless. Kiln is better, but I get locked out of using the red orb by people attempting to invade me, then failing. The only downside to the forest is the Havel-flippers, which are incredibly satisfying to kill.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

EC posted:

Anor Londo has too many places to hide, and Dark AL decreases the lock on distance so much it makes magic useless. Kiln is better, but I get locked out of using the red orb by people attempting to invade me, then failing. The only downside to the forest is the Havel-flippers, which are incredibly satisfying to kill.

It's funny you use that as a downside for Anor londo. I love loving with people more than killing anyone so hunting them, scraping a little then running off to hide somewhere then jumping them again. I got lucky a few times and ended up stalking a few people through the whole stage.

edit; Dressed, as usual, in the weirdest things I can find that the average person in their first AL run won't have seen.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2012

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Fuckdamn I hate the capra demon boss fight. Even on NG+ it's pretty much the same "walk in, take 2 steps, die horribly" cycle that it was my first time through

e: I am not worthy of this game for not knowing that just slapping on some armor with more poise would make this fight a cakewalk

nominal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Kiln is not fun the 9/10 times you invade a threesome of pickle lickers.

I love New Londo, though:

you can drop a white sign, kill 10/11 of the darkwraiths for chunk/slab farming, and if you haven't been summoned for 4 kings by that point you can either red orb, go kill the last DW by the drakes, or bone out...it's probably the most fun you can have farming.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

And the game is a lot faster if you start by ringing Quelag's bell...

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

nominal posted:

Fuckdamn I hate the capra demon boss fight. Even on NG+ it's pretty much the same "walk in, take 2 steps, die horribly" cycle that it was my first time through

e: I am not worthy of this game for not knowing that just slapping on some armor with more poise would make this fight a cakewalk

The key to Capra is a high stability shield (i.e. a great shield with stability improved to over the 78pt heavy-weapon break - eagle shield being the best lightweight greatshield option). You will be able to block all of his attacks, and his one-handed swings will even bounce off allowing you to counter attack.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Kiln is not fun the 9/10 times you invade a threesome of pickle lickers.

I love New Londo, though:

you can drop a white sign, kill 10/11 of the darkwraiths for chunk/slab farming, and if you haven't been summoned for 4 kings by that point you can either red orb, go kill the last DW by the drakes, or bone out...it's probably the most fun you can have farming.

Nuh-uh. 420 drop your sign outside Nito and farm skeleton babies errday

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Oh goody, I'm in Blighttown without the rusted iron ring. How do I get back to Firelink Shrine quickly? :ohdear:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cakes posted:

Oh goody, I'm in Blighttown without the rusted iron ring. How do I get back to Firelink Shrine quickly? :ohdear:

Go up the elevators and take the shortcut through the Valley of Drakes (provided you have the Master Key to open the gate in the Valley.) Take the elevator in New Londo Ruins and you'll be back at Firelink.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Thanks, I'll be glad to leave. I was kind of missing sunlight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Duke posted:

Go up the elevators and take the shortcut through the Valley of Drakes (provided you have the Master Key to open the gate in the Valley.) Take the elevator in New Londo Ruins and you'll be back at Firelink.

Don't even need the Master Key, assuming you're coming from Blighttown. The actual key for that is in a chest in Blighttown just between the fat guys and the water mill thing.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/additions-interview-dark-souls/729217

Dunno if this was posted, but there's a little bit of explanation about the new content.

The new areas are set in the past, so reaching them will involve time travel. Specifically he mentioned the Painted World as having a similar method of access, so presumably there'll be an object or objects in the world that will send us to the new areas.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Category Fun! posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/additions-interview-dark-souls/729217

Dunno if this was posted, but there's a little bit of explanation about the new content.

The new areas are set in the past, so reaching them will involve time travel. Specifically he mentioned the Painted World as having a similar method of access, so presumably there'll be an object or objects in the world that will send us to the new areas.

That dude sure pulled a :smug: when asked about Oolacile. Poor guy doesn't look comfortable giving interviews, though.

The new bosses look great, and I really dig the idea of traveling through time to a previous version of Darkroot, which is hopefully Oolacile.

Now if they would just go ahead and announce the new content as DLC...

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

EC posted:

Now if they would just go ahead and announce the new content as DLC...

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/dark-souls-game-director-apologises-to-console-players/

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Maybe you could start a petition? :laugh:

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Paolomania posted:

The key to Capra is a high stability shield (i.e. a great shield with stability improved to over the 78pt heavy-weapon break - eagle shield being the best lightweight greatshield option). You will be able to block all of his attacks, and his one-handed swings will even bounce off allowing you to counter attack.

Does this mean with >78 stability I can block all large weapon attacks like the Demon's Greataxe?

I beat the Capra demon with ~63 stability on a Tower Kite Shield, but I also had a lot of endurance built up so I had more stamina to burn on a block.

Does the more stability a shield have equate to less stamina used up in blocking an attacking? How do the btreakpoints work?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I actually think it will come out as DLC. Miazaki is basically a huge dickheel but he knows how to pick his words, observe;

A poo poo posted:

Hidetaka Miazaki: It’s completely understandable that people who bought the original version would ask about the additional content, however, as the director of Dark Souls I cannot say right now about whether or not this content will ever be available as DLC. But, I want to emphasis my sincere apologise to those players that bought the console version that we don’t have any news for them at this point.

He's saying he's sorry that he doesn't have any news at this time, and he sees that we want that junk. I'll bet any money within a few months we'll either hear about Prepare to Die Edition360/ps3 or DLC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Category Fun! posted:

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/dark-souls-game-director-apologises-to-console-players/

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Maybe you could start a petition? :laugh:

I'm still hopeful that they can't say anything not because it isn't happening, but because Namco is still working with MS/Sony to make it happen. Obviously releasing the new stuff as DLC will cut into sales of the PC version, so they have to balance it, but at $10 or even $15 hopefully it'll balance out.

Don't get me wrong, I've already started pricing out parts to convert my HTPC into a gaming machine. I figured it would be nicer to play it on the 55" with a game pad as opposed to my relatively small monitor. I just really don't want to spend $600 if I don't have to.

obviously no one is forcing me but my addiction must be fed

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had my first victory over an invader last night, but I felt bad about it. Instead of some boring build, the invader was a big-boned lady named Maneater Mabel (or something like that) with a sack over her head, a big-rear end butcher's clever, and nothing else on.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mastiff posted:

I had my first victory over an invader last night, but I felt bad about it. Instead of some boring build, the invader was a big-boned lady named Maneater Mabel (or something like that) with a sack over her head, a big-rear end butcher's clever, and nothing else on.

Do you guys want to tell him, or shall I?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Mastiff posted:

That's Maneater Mildred, she's an NPC invader. The good news is that now you've defeated her, you can summon her to help fight Quelaag!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Do you guys want to tell him, or shall I?

No its better that he never knows.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mastiff posted:

That's an NPC (Maneater Mildred). Once you beat her, you'll be able to summon her for the bossfight in that level.

Edit: gently caress, y'all are fast.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You guys ruined it :(

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

If it doesn't say that you're invaded by something like 'xXfaGoTkillUXx' then it's an NPC. There's a few.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If it helps you feel any better Mildred handed my face to me and I faced Quelaag alone. :saddowns:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Xanzar posted:

Does this mean with >78 stability I can block all large weapon attacks like the Demon's Greataxe?

I beat the Capra demon with ~63 stability on a Tower Kite Shield, but I also had a lot of endurance built up so I had more stamina to burn on a block.

Does the more stability a shield have equate to less stamina used up in blocking an attacking? How do the btreakpoints work?

You will find that hits on a high stability shield take far less stamina. I believe that the break points determine what attacks get "broken" or interrupted (i.e. the attack bounces off the shield and you have a chance to counter-attack). I believe that the best you can do is break 1H ultra-great-weapon chains. 2H ultra-great-weapon attacks are blockable but never "breakable" (i.e. even with a >78 stability shield someone wielding an ultra-great-weapon with two hands can always continue their R1 attack sequence even if you block each blow, whereas any other attack would bounce off). This is why Capra's 1H attacks will bounce off but not his 2H attacks.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bellend Sebastian posted:

If it doesn't say that you're invaded by something like 'xXfaGoTkillUXx' then it's an NPC. There's a few.

Aww I thought it was a cool gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Paolomania posted:

You will find that hits on a high stability shield take far less stamina. I believe that the break points determine what attacks get "broken" or interrupted (i.e. the attack bounces off the shield and you have a chance to counter-attack). I believe that the best you can do is break 1H ultra-great-weapon chains. 2H ultra-great-weapon attacks are blockable but never "breakable" (i.e. even with a >78 stability shield someone wielding an ultra-great-weapon with two hands can always continue their R1 attack sequence even if you block each blow, whereas any other attack would bounce off). This is why Capra's 1H attacks will bounce off but not his 2H attacks.

So if I'm using an ultra-greatweapon two-handed and my opponent is an awful riposter, all I need to do is chain R1s and their stamina will break? I've been attacked by a dude with the demon greataxe before and he ate my entire stamina bar in one hit. I don't remember if that was before or after I pumped up my stamina or even which shield I was using.

I'm using katanas now for both looking cool and since they are much faster than the black knight sword (a great weapon) that I was using before. Too many times I would block and before I could even attack the opponent had already sent another swipe cancelling mine. I'm hoping that with lightning and/or fire katanas I can be more effective in PvP. Since those (lightning and fire versions) don't have attribute modifiers, it would make sense to only point-up to the minimum reqs, right? That way I can skill up vitality or faith, maybe? Is there a reason to incrase faith beyond what is required to equip the miracles? Does the damage scale with the attribute on spells?

Xanzar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 22, 2012

• Locked thread