Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the difference is lexx is bad and can't even be enjoyed ironically while farscape is the finest moment in australian television

i thought it was funny

i like the main characters that are sympathetic, yet broken, incompetent, and hedonistic. and the incredibly pessimistic and hostile universe(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's all kinds of nerdshit I hate, mainly anime, I've never liked anime

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's all kinds of nerdshit I hate, mainly anime, I've never liked anime

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i liked a little bit of anime when i was wee angsty sheltered 290 not knowin who i was or what was out there but i never got Into It and wont defend much beyond bebop and akira now

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
i remember watching a bootlegg akira vhs and thinking it was nothing special but my one friend said you watch, this poo poo will be huge

he was talking bout anime but i never heard the term anime until 1997... we just called it japanimation (jap-animation)

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Kirk posted:

anime owns and manga owns more

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

z0ratio fartboner posted:

i remember watching a bootlegg akira vhs and thinking it was nothing special but my one friend said you watch, this poo poo will be huge

he was talking bout anime but i never heard the term anime until 1997... we just called it japanimation (jap-animation)

yeah i had a bunch of seriously nerdy friends in the late 80s/early 90s and they were all about japanimation and i just could not be moved to give a poo poo. i mean i've seen a few things that were okay but there's just so much absolute garbage out there the i can't be arsed with the genre as a whole

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

z0ratio fartboner posted:

my friend made us watch akira and near the end one of my roommates got really bored and just left, saying that it was "obvious what was going to happen"

and then tetsuo did what he does at the end of the movie and that statement was hilarious

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

i used to watch anime because i lived in a lovely neighbourhood so i grabbed movies from the japanimation section because they were a blend of trashy scifi i used to love and cartoons for childs (i was a childs)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah i had a bunch of seriously nerdy friends in the late 80s/early 90s and they were all about japanimation and i just could not be moved to give a poo poo. i mean i've seen a few things that were okay but there's just so much absolute garbage out there the i can't be arsed with the genre as a whole
there's also the film festival effect - you see a couple of choice, top-of-the-heap examples of something, and you think that it's all like that. but it isn't - you just saw the absolute best, and everything else is worse than that. akira is pretty good, but there's only one akira. just like the bbc produces hundreds of hours of garbage for every i, claudius, or hong kong turns out dozens of terrible action fims for every killer or hard boiled.

seeing the really good stuff in a field draws you in, and sets you up for disappointment because nothing else in the field you've just gotten excited about will be as good as the stuff you just saw.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

seeing the really good stuff in a field draws you in, and sets you up for disappointment because nothing else in the field you've just gotten excited about will be as good as the stuff you just saw.

see also: tolkien vs. pretty much the entirety of the genre he launched

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

NINbuntu 64 posted:

i used to watch anime because i lived in a lovely neighbourhood so i grabbed movies from the japanimation section because they were a blend of trashy scifi i used to love and cartoons for childs (i was a childs)

yeah this is my childhood nerd shame as well. it was cheap animated sci fi poo poo. what else was there, star trek: tas?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

reasons japanamation anything was cool when you were 11:

- violence
- swearing
- sometimes nekkidness

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

lord funk posted:

reasons japanamation anything was cool when you were 11:

- violence
- swearing
- sometimes nekkidness
-lady butts

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the thing idg about anime is why so much of it is colorful and pink and sparkly yet not aimed at kids. is it just as weird for azns to see fat neckbeards watching sailor moon or is it ok there somehow

also anime fans have no standards and enjoy watching stuff /w no production value regardless of how gay it is

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

some people say anime is pretty good idk myself but who am i to judge

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

oh yeah, anti-recommendation: don't read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. The first 3/4 is normal enough but then it veers into serious, serious wtf territory when you find out what actually happened to the protagonist.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

oh yeah, anti-recommendation: don't read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. The first 3/4 is normal enough but then it veers into serious, serious wtf territory when you find out what actually happened to the protagonist.

i really liked it and so did my wife

i mean it's super hosed up but that was part of the point

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

i really liked it and so did my wife

i mean it's super hosed up but that was part of the point

I probably could have lived with if the book was like super top shelf sf but the first 3/4 was just okay so I'm less inclined to feel okay about the ending

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well it's really slow as sf but imo it's intended more as sort of a weird conversation on faith and martyrdom. as sf it was really no great shakes, but i think it's the only book (including the sequel) about religion that both my wife and i (atheists) and my mom (a minister) have ever all liked.

i mean it's kinda like animal farm is a lot slower and less fun than most books about talking animals

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but i know i'm not going to argue you into liking it, nor am i trying. just saying that i can sort of understand not being way into it as sf while i still think it's a very interesting book

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

i've read american psycho and i'd be morbidly interested if there was a book more hosed up that that one

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

American Psycho is a great book and I enjoy it.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

ya but it's all kinds of hosed up

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

it's p brutal yeah

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'll admit that there is anime out there that i enjoy watching, but i would never consider myself 'an anime fan' b/c there is a huge amount of stupid poo poo out there and besides who the gently caress is a fan of an entire medium?

enjoying something just because it is anime is the dumbest loving thing. 'i'm a fan of television' okay great, gj on being a totally uncritical consumer, i guess

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'll admit that there is anime out there that i enjoy watching, but i would never consider myself 'an anime fan' b/c there is a huge amount of stupid poo poo out there and besides who the gently caress is a fan of an entire medium?

enjoying something just because it is anime is the dumbest loving thing. 'i'm a fan of television' okay great, gj on being a totally uncritical consumer, i guess

I just love moving images, what's the big deal.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i thought it was funny

i like the main characters that are sympathetic, yet broken, incompetent, and hedonistic. and the incredibly pessimistic and hostile universe(s)

you would like farscape

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I just love moving images, what's the big deal.

you should hang out with my 1yo you two would get along great

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I liked American Psycho the movie but the book was too much. Casual sociopathy just really bothers me

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

yeah. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was hosed up too, but that was written in the 60s and American Psycho makes it look tame in comparison. it's kind of fascinating what writers can come up with since literature is a basically uncensored medium.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

TOOT BOOT posted:

I liked American Psycho the movie but the book was too much. Casual sociopathy just really bothers me

http://www.ambrosebierce.org/city.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/grave.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/conflagration.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/murder.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/dog.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/widower.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/cargo.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/hypnotist.htm
http://www.ambrosebierce.org/bubble.htm

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of fuckeduppery, read 'The metamorphosis of prime intellect', it's a freebie if you google it. Half fun singularity takeoff, half wtf.

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
read it a while back and loved it~

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of fuckeduppery, read 'The metamorphosis of prime intellect', it's a freebie if you google it. Half fun singularity takeoff, half wtf.

I wish he'd finish the sequel.

If you really think about it the destruction of Prime Intellect was worse than the holocaust as far as fictional crimes go. She killed almost every human being in the world so she could play little house on the prairie.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i like manga

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you really think about it the destruction of Prime Intellect was worse than the holocaust as far as fictional crimes go.

i know what you meant but lol this reads like you're saying the holocaust was fictional

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Trig Discipline posted:

i know what you meant but lol this reads like you're saying the holocaust was fictional

and...?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

localroger's best writing is how to write a search function:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2004/4/25/84814/4211/383#383

• Locked thread