Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009
Why cant Shulk damage the Inquisitors :(

Dunban is great. "gently caress destiny! :argh:"

KoB fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

KoB posted:

Why cant Shulk damage the Inquisitors :(
Think about the Monado's properties and behavior for a bit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tupperwarez posted:

Think about the Monado's properties and behavior for a bit.

I meant more, do I have to just put up with it and switch him out or will that change in the (near) future?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's literally just that one fight (so far as I remember). That one fight will take an inordinately long time as your teammates handle it, but just yawn through it and you're fine.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

U-DO Burger posted:

Advanced (black) manuals will unlock levels 4-10 for whatever Art it corresponds to, and there are none that you can miss permanently.

There's one you can miss permanently: if you don't get Ether Drain off Synchronized Gaheris in Central Factory, you need to get it off Firework Geldesia, but it's tied to a quest and doesn't respawn. It also drops another art book for Mind Blast that you need to get off Fascia Bunniy at Tephra Cave or Cratere Nebula at Prison Island if you don't get it there, so you're better off getting Ether Drain off Synchronized Gaheris unless you feel like reloading until Geldesia's chest contains both Ether Drain and Mind Blast or killing off either one of the normal enemies mentioned above until one of them drops a gold chest and then reloading that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

AnotherGamer posted:

There's one you can miss permanently: if you don't get Ether Drain off Synchronized Gaheris in Central Factory, you need to get it off Firework Geldesia, but it's tied to a quest and doesn't respawn. It also drops another art book for Mind Blast that you need to get off Fascia Bunniy at Tephra Cave or Cratere Nebula at Prison Island if you don't get it there, so you're better off getting Ether Drain off Synchronized Gaheris unless you feel like reloading until Geldesia's chest contains both Ether Drain and Mind Blast or killing off either one of the normal enemies mentioned above until one of them drops a gold chest and then reloading that.

The Fascia Bunniv also drops the manual for Ether Drain.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

U-DO Burger posted:

The Fascia Bunniv also drops the manual for Ether Drain.

Isn't that the juggernaut bunny that chills out with a bunch of low level minions?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've looked around and can't really find out what questline unlocks 7th's fourth skill branch. Anybody mind telling me?

It's kinda hard to look around further without possibly of getting spoiled, at least.

Thanks.

v: Thank you, friend.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 23, 2012

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Volt Catfish posted:

I've looked around and can't really find out what questline unlocks 7th's fourth skill branch. Anybody mind telling me?

It's kinda hard to look around further without possibly of getting spoiled, at least.

Thanks.

From FAQ: Fiora Karlos [18:00-06:00] Near entrance into Hidden Machina Village at night.
Need "Mechonis Key" key item given by Rizaka via questing to activate skill quest with Karlos.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Alectai posted:

Isn't that the juggernaut bunny that chills out with a bunch of low level minions?

Maybe I got the name wrong. In the endgame you can fight level 90+ bunnies as trash mobs in Tephra Cave. Their gold chests can drop the manual for Ether Drain, though you'll probably have to save scum to get it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Taking my sweet time. Maybe halfway through Satorl Marsh.

I may be overleveled, but actually being able to beat up those horrible gigantic bugs that always show up on these quests the Nopon like to give me feels good.

We're quite the sight, this team. Reyn looks like a giant mecha out of a cartoon in heavy armor, Sharla is rocking the cowgirl-jungle-princess look, and Dunban is looking stupid-sexy in his Agility-pumped shirtlessness.

The costume design in this game went on past Dumb, tripped over Ludicrous, and landed somewhere in Eye-Searingly Fabulous.

Speaking of, is it me, or is Sharla the most tactically-sound choice of leader at this stage in the game? Her AI for healing is kind of brainless, but being about to manually control whom she heals and when makes hard fights pretty manageable.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Mazed posted:

Speaking of, is it me, or is Sharla the most tactically-sound choice of leader at this stage in the game? Her AI for healing is kind of brainless, but being about to manually control whom she heals and when makes hard fights pretty manageable.

I think you'll find that she is probably the worst choice to be in your team in general. She certainly does better in player hands (Everyone does, really, but Sharla is one of the characters the AI seems to not really 'get') but I think you'll find everything goes much faster with pretty much any other group composition.

You just don't need that much healing, all you really need is one healing art for the whole party, and you sacrifice a lot of damage by having Sharla in the group.

Don't get me wrong, you can get through the game with pretty much any group, and I'd pick what you have fun playing over anything else, but for most of the game Sharla is the least optimal party member.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sears Poncho posted:

Don't get me wrong, you can get through the game with pretty much any group, and I'd pick what you have fun playing over anything else, but for most of the game Sharla is the least optimal party member.

Isn't an AI-controlled Melia worse, though?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Uh, I'm not sure what game you guys played, but for most my playthrough Sharla as a healer has been the only way through the tougher battles. Riki and Melia's healing doesn't cut it. Her AI makes mistakes, but it's adequate, and taking control of her is boring.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
same, whenever i lose a battle 2x i switch in sharla as main and I can usually beat it.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

I actually don't think the AI does that bad with Melia, it keeps her alive (which is probably the toughest thing if you are controlling her) and if you give her her healing arts and think of her as a buff/support character it can be pretty useful.

You can certainly do a lot more damage if you control her, but I wouldn't completely disregard her as party member.

Chaltab posted:

Uh, I'm not sure what game you guys played, but for most my playthrough Sharla as a healer has been the only way through the tougher battles. Riki and Melia's healing doesn't cut it. Her AI makes mistakes, but it's adequate, and taking control of her is boring.

I don't think Melia cuts it as the sole healer, but I think Riki or Shulk do. What is really useful is to link Shulk's skill that heals after chain attacks, that plus his skill that increases the chance of chain attacks really takes care of a huge part of the healing burden. If you give these to everyone in the party they stack.

Sears Poncho fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 23, 2012

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know a decent configuration for a Xbox 360 controller?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Man, everyone's said a lot about how great this game is, but there is just one little detail about it that I love: when it's raining, it doesn't loving rain THROUGH things. Like if you're in a cave they don't just turn off the rain overlay, it's just not raining in the cave, and you can see it raining outside. Or if you stand under an awning outdoors, there's no loving rain falling THROUGH it. It rains where it is supposed to rain. This stupid insignificant detail bugs me all the time but this game actually saw fit to make rain look good, among all the other great stuff about it.

I'm at the (early game area spoiler)Satorl Marsh and fuckin' loving this game. I can't believe I'm only at like 20%. Thank you goons so much for the recommendation. :)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You might need Sharla for one or two unique monsters in the midgame (like the giant tank mechon uniques), but aside from that you can pretty much dominate everything by linking the "heal party after a chain attack" skills and optimizing your party for filling up the party gauge and launching chain attacks as often as possible. It's also vastly more enjoyable. If not having a healer really bothers you, Riki can fill that role just fine.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
So I just got the 7th character and while I saw the whole thing coming the sequence still managed to blow my mind. Unfortunately afterward while looking up some general information online I got the final boss spoiled for me! While I also saw that one coming, I'm still really bothered by having that detail spoiled. Can somebody reassure me that there are still a lot of plot twists and mysteries to be unveiled so I don't feel so lovely about getting spoiled? I'm currently at Fallen Arm and I need reassurance to calm my soul :smith:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Anybody got a spoiler list the 4th and 5th skill trees for the various chars? I'm at the point where I should be thinking about it, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do a bunch of sidequests for something unknown.

Edit: nvm, I had a look at the spreadsheet, has it there

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 23, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pomale posted:

So I just got the 7th character and while I saw the whole thing coming the sequence still managed to blow my mind. Unfortunately afterward while looking up some general information online I got the final boss spoiled for me! While I also saw that one coming, I'm still really bothered by having that detail spoiled. Can somebody reassure me that there are still a lot of plot twists and mysteries to be unveiled so I don't feel so lovely about getting spoiled? I'm currently at Fallen Arm and I need reassurance to calm my soul :smith:

You haven't seen a lot of stuff yet, don't worry.
STOP LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ONLINE.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 23, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

See, the lack of damage is noticeable, true, but I find putting Sharla in the lead to be enjoyable, at last occasionally, because her slower and methodical style feels just different enough from the others to make it refreshing. This game's AI for putting out sheer damage is pretty good, so pulling back and focusing on maintaining your offense indirectly feels like a viable way to go. Of course, it could all be a matter of personal taste.

HalfHazard posted:

Man, everyone's said a lot about how great this game is, but there is just one little detail about it that I love: when it's raining, it doesn't loving rain THROUGH things. Like if you're in a cave they don't just turn off the rain overlay, it's just not raining in the cave, and you can see it raining outside. Or if you stand under an awning outdoors, there's no loving rain falling THROUGH it. It rains where it is supposed to rain. This stupid insignificant detail bugs me all the time but this game actually saw fit to make rain look good, among all the other great stuff about it.

I noticed this as well. There is some serious technical wizardry going on behind the scenes in this game. They had to, in order to make it look as good as it does on a Wii. If you look very, very carefully, you can see the various corners cut in the name of graphical efficiency, but you have to know what to look for in the first place to even notice. What's nice is, even if you do notice these things, the environments are so well done that you just get a better appreciation.

HalfHazard posted:

I'm at the (early game area spoiler)Satorl Marsh and fuckin' loving this game. I can't believe I'm only at like 20%. Thank you goons so much for the recommendation. :)

I'll say this for that place:

Early on, you're like, "Oh, okay, day/night cycles" and it's a thing you've seen from other games.

They you hit the marsh, and you see them start to get creative with the effect that the cycle has on the environment. And it is wonderful.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know a decent configuration for a Xbox 360 controller?

I assume you mean for Dolphin. I have these settings up:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Volt Catfish posted:

Compared to how good a player-controlled Melia can be? Yeah; giving Sharla to a human to control just makes her better at healing, whereas player-controlled Melia is a totally different character.

I'm not really a big fan of Sharla in my party, since she just seems to make battles drag out longer then they need to. Maybe for post-game stuff, where enemies hit way hard and soak up too much damage for my party to handle.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
whats the best way to optimize filling the party gauge? it feels like sometimes i'll spend an entire battle and not get a gauge, and other times i'm doing chain attacks over and over again all over the place.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Succeed with bonus effects and push B well, near as I can tell. For Shulk that means using backslash from behind, the side-slash attacks from the side, etc. The AI is pretty good at this, so if you give Riki his own back attacks (or use AI Shulk) they won't waste them so don't worry about juggling skills depending on who you take over.

Sometimes I'll end a chain attack with another chain attack ready to go within five seconds, it's pretty great (since the enemy is also likely dazed or toppled during those five seconds).

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Is there some kind of specific strategy to getting extra moves on a chain attack? Given video game logic, you'd think that moves that go well together (e.g. break/topple/daze moves) would allow for more follow-up attacks, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Manoueverable posted:

Is there some kind of specific strategy to getting extra moves on a chain attack? Given video game logic, you'd think that moves that go well together (e.g. break/topple/daze moves) would allow for more follow-up attacks, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Tension levels (ideally being "on fire"), high party affinity, certain skills (linkable and stacking, if I recall), and a prayer or two to the random number gods.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you use moves that are the same color it betters your chances of continuing the chain, I'm pretty sure. Also I think using moves correctly (backstabs, side slices, etc) has something to do with it.

It stinks because I've been using Dunban, Sharla, and Riki and with the loadouts I've been using there is no shared color between them, so chain attacks aren't that great. :(
PS - It's good to always initiate a chain attack when possible, even on trash mobs, because doing so raises the affinity between your active party members, which will help continue chain attacks in the future.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chim posted:

whats the best way to optimize filling the party gauge? it feels like sometimes i'll spend an entire battle and not get a gauge, and other times i'm doing chain attacks over and over again all over the place.

-Equip arts with bonus effects and use them correctly. Shulk's pretty good because he's got three arts with bonus effects. Reyn's got his Bone Upper + Dive Sobat combo, and Dunban's got Gale Slash + Lots of Stuff. Riki has Happy Happy, which boosts the party gauge just by using it.

-Increase your party's critical hit rate through weapons, arts, and/or skills. Every critical hit raises the party gauge slightly. Dunban and the 7th character are both really good at this.

-Topple and Daze your enemy. Your critical hit rate skyrockets against toppled and dazed foes.

-Hit B at the right time in battle when prompted.

-Kill enemies during chain attacks. Each enemy killed in a chain attack fills your entire party gauge by 1/3. Kill three enemies in a chain attack and you can immediately start another one!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

PS - It's good to always initiate a chain attack when possible, even on trash mobs, because doing so raises the affinity between your active party members, which will help continue chain attacks in the future.

It also turns combat into a never ending stream of death. With my main party setup (Shulk, Riki, Dunban unless I'm trying to raise affinities) damage gets ludicrous because I can keep the Chain counter at max for ages. Completely wiping out a group then moving on to the next with a full party meter is the best thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Quest question! The quest "For my Loved One" has me collecting an item from the Distant Fingertip during a thunderstorm. I'm there, it's raining, that giant bird is gone, and I can't find the bloody thing. Is it just something I have to keep loading the game to get to spawn, or is there some trick? I've re-loaded the game half a dozen times and it's not appearing.

EDIT: nevermind. It wasn't actually a thunderstorm. :downs: This game is tricky.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 23, 2012

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I had the same problem and got really frustrated before figuring it out. The weather system has both rainstorms and thunderstorms. Just because it's raining doesn't mean it's a thunderstorm, so keep pushing the clock forward to try and get it to give you one.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Quest question! The quest "For my Loved One" has me collecting an item from the Distant Fingertip during a thunderstorm. I'm there, it's raining, that giant bird is gone, and I can't find the bloody thing. Is it just something I have to keep loading the game to get to spawn, or is there some trick? I've re-loaded the game half a dozen times and it's not appearing.

It's pretty much on the edge of the broken rails, where the bird is/was. Otherwise the only thing i can suggest is make sure there is also a thunderstorm accompanying that rain. I've gotten it pretty flawlessly myself, so i don't think there's a trick about it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Weather stuff works a lot nicer if you get the quest early and keep it in mind while you do other stuff in the area, then going to the right place if that weather happens to occur, rather than deciding LET'S DO THIS QUEST NOW and mashing the clock for a while.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Lots of people in this thread go on about how 'refreshing' it is for the main characters to not be mopey but oh my God the speed with which they get over some stuff is absurd.

I just finished Prison Island, MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS HERE

SERIOUSLY DON'T HOVER OVER THIS

Okay, so you find out Fiora's still alive. That's reason to be happy I guess, except she's brainwashed and forced into a giant machine and chances are pretty good you'll have to kill her or at least come close to it. 'My dead girlfriend/sister is being used as a weapon by machine-men' isn't a concept that should make Dunban and Shulk so goddamn chipper!

I'm also disappointed how Reyn's characterization's gone from being a pretty normal, rounded dude to just being the meathead comic relief.

Also the way people talked about what happens at Prison Island in this thread I was expecting way more mindfuckery than a couple revelations that were obvious to anyone paying attention immediately after Colony 6, and something else happening that hasn't been developed enough to really register any kind of reaction. Oh, and the most boring dad in the world died so I guess I'm supposed to feel things about that except all it means to me is I get to stop running around that awful city so much.

I guess the point of this post is that anyone who's playing this should de-hype themselves about the story 'cause so far, after an excellent beginning, it's been pretty stock standard anime fantasy game stuff. Maybe it'll get more interesting again in the future, but people are acting like what I've seen so far is making their heads explode with how novel and well-realized it is, when really, no, it's not.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying it's bad or anything...

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 23, 2012

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

If you use moves that are the same color it betters your chances of continuing the chain, I'm pretty sure. Also I think using moves correctly (backstabs, side slices, etc) has something to do with it.

It stinks because I've been using Dunban, Sharla, and Riki and with the loadouts I've been using there is no shared color between them, so chain attacks aren't that great. :(

It's good to remember that the big main middle attacks (monado moves for shulk, Blossom Dance for Dunban etc) are wild cards for chain attack so they allow you to change chain colour without breaking it. Early on in the chain it's generally worth doing attacks which fill the talent art up. I remember getting max chains fairly regularly in my first playthrough. Things just die.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bonaventure posted:

MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS HERE
Is it really that odd that they're happy about it? I mean, sure what's happening to Fiora is bad, but 'captured and possibly rescuable' is a drat sight better than 'murdered by machines and consumed'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm loving the massive clusterfucks you can get into in Agniratha. When i kill someone in a chain attack everyone makes a mad dash to the lower level to surprise the poo poo out of some mook.

• Locked thread