Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iPhoto can't split its library, LR can, dunno about aperture.

The way I use LR is by importing to SSD, then offloading to spindles once I'm done editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I don't suppose there is any way to make Photostream work with LR? :q:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

I don't suppose there is any way to make Photostream work with LR? :q:

I kind of have it working (I'm on a mac, but I'm sure there are ways to do it with windows):

I use PhotoStream 2 Folder which copies the photos put into my photostream to a different folder
I set Lightroom to automatically import the folder that photostream 2 folder dumps them, and then they're in lightroom.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
I'm planning on going to a sports competition this weekend and want to get some practice with my DSLR.

I have a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and this zoom lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G-ED-VR/dp/B003ZSHNCC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1327158661&sr=8-12%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3EH

Here is a video of what I will be photographing. This is the same venue and lighting and I would be sitting in the stands (which are only really visible in the first 10 seconds of the video). It looks like paint drying to most people but that's ok. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmCbr1NMxM

Any suggestions on which lens I should use out of the two I have? Any other setting suggestions? I'd like to take a little bit of the guess work out so I can work more on composition and lighting. I'm thinking my tripod may come in handy too.

There may be some work done outside in full sun but the distance from the focal point will be the same.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I got a camera from mightaswell

opened it up to find this in the viewfinder:

how do I tell if that's on the lens or the viewfinder? (aside from shooting and developing an entire roll)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

the posted:

how do I tell if that's on the lens or the viewfinder? (aside from shooting and developing an entire roll)

My red car makes a weird sound, what's the problem and how do I fix it???

...tell us what kind of camera it is at least.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Take off the lens and then look through the viewfinder?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

the posted:

Isn't that a rangefinder?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

spog posted:

Isn't that a rangefinder?

In that case, take off the lens and look for fungus/whatever.

If it's not a removable lens, suck it up and shoot a test roll!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remember that for forum user the to do anything, you must tell him to do the opposite thing.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's an Olympus Stylus Epic Limited, and after further review I do not believe it is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

the posted:

It's an Olympus Stylus Epic Limited, and after further review I do not believe it is.

What does this sentence even mean, it's so existential

edit-- oh you're talking about "it is" meaning on the lens.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 23, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

the posted:

If you're looking through the viewfinder of a point and shoot and you see something that's not actually in the scene, why would it be on the lens? Do you think those hash marks are on the lens? Serious question, I want to know your thought process here.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you're looking through the viewfinder of a point and shoot and you see something that's not actually in the scene, why would it be on the lens? Do you think those hash marks are on the lens? Serious question, I want to know your thought process here.

I didn't know whether or not it was a prism or not (or the same kind of technology)

but I figured it out, thanks though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Amaterasu posted:

I'm planning on going to a sports competition this weekend and want to get some practice with my DSLR.

I have a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and this zoom lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G-ED-VR/dp/B003ZSHNCC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1327158661&sr=8-12%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3EH

Here is a video of what I will be photographing. This is the same venue and lighting and I would be sitting in the stands (which are only really visible in the first 10 seconds of the video). It looks like paint drying to most people but that's ok. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmCbr1NMxM

Any suggestions on which lens I should use out of the two I have? Any other setting suggestions? I'd like to take a little bit of the guess work out so I can work more on composition and lighting. I'm thinking my tripod may come in handy too.

There may be some work done outside in full sun but the distance from the focal point will be the same.

You'll probably want to use the 55-300, unless you want shots of the whole scene at once, in which case I would say bring both lenses.

You will have to crank the ISO indoors for sure, even with VR (VR will only sort out your shaky hands, not the motion of the subject). If you really care about sharpness you might want to try to shoot at around f/8, otherwise just set the lens wide open.

Outdoors you can back off on the ISO. An easy method that should work for indoors and outdoors is to just put the camera in Shutter priority mode (the S) and Auto-ISO. Depending on how fast the subject is moving and how far you zoom in, you probably need something like 1/500 to 1/2000, although it's possible that indoors you won't be able to go much faster than 1/500. Shutter priority, if you don't know, lets you choose the shutter speed and the camera will set the aperture and ISO to expose the scene properly.

A tripod is only going to help for shots where the subject is staying still (and to prevent your arms from getting tired, but you have a very light setup), so you can probably leave that at home. Hopefully you will have time to take some test shots to make sure your shutter speed is high enough. Luckily the sensor in your camera is quite good even in weak light.

I hope that helps. Unfortunately reading about how to do something is a poor substitution for actually going out and doing it. Don't get frustrated if your results aren't quite what you hope for this time around. You will learn a lot :).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

the posted:

:catstare:
Wait, did you seriously think a point and shoot the size of a Stylus Epic let you look through the lens some how? :suicide:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

8th-samurai posted:

Wait, did you seriously think a point and shoot the size of a Stylus Epic let you look through the lens some how? :suicide:

Well, well it could have been a Pentax Auto 110. :downsrim:

Pentax Auto 110?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

8th-samurai posted:

Makes sense since I was wondering why I couldn't "see if it was in or out of focus" when I was trying to take a picture.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

the posted:

Makes sense, since I was wondering why I couldn't "see if it was in or out of focus" when I was trying to take a picture.
How can you can ask this many dumb questions about photography and still not learn anything? You really didn't know that Stylus Epics had direct viewfinders, despite wanting to buy one for months?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I want to watch a stream where the tries to answer these questions.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I want to watch a stream where the tries to answer these questions.

You really should have been around for the cooking challenge, he was making food live on ustream while Dorkroom and GWS people lambasted him for his terrible knife skills (and also everything else).

I should do another stream actually, that was pretty fun.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

SoundMonkey posted:

You really should have been around for the cooking challenge, he was making food live on ustream while Dorkroom and GWS people lambasted him for his terrible knife skills (and also everything else).

I should do another stream actually, that was pretty fun.

Oh, I was. That's why I want another round of it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I could do a live photo session with a model

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would pay infinity dollars to watch that.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

the posted:

I could do a live photo session with a model

If you do this, ill stop trolling you :toxx: (no i wont) 10bux says the model runs away terrified :snoop:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Let's get the chat back to photography in general, if we could.

Although if anybody is doing a live stream of anything such as photography or cooking or something else enjoyable to Dorkroom, feel free to make a thread or something.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That sounds interesting, but how the hell would you do a photography live stream? Have people with smartphones follow you around streaming on Skype?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

tarepanda posted:

That sounds interesting, but how the hell would you do a photography live stream? Have people with smartphones follow you around streaming on Skype?

I should find some way of recording a podcast next time I shoot now that I think of it. Cue 40 minutes of: "loving hell, the last roll loaded with no trouble at all, why do you hate me pentax?" and "where the gently caress did I put my darkslide? poo poo."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Here's an actual photography question.

I'm in a position to buy all new dishes and silverware -- actual dishes, nothing photography-related. Is there anything in particular I should look for or stay away from if I want to do some food photography in the future?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

8th-samurai posted:

I should find some way of recording a podcast next time I shoot now that I think of it. Cue 40 minutes of: "loving hell, the last roll loaded with no trouble at all, why do you hate me pentax?" and "where the gently caress did I put my darkslide? poo poo."

Where do I sign up for this?

We need a sped helmet with a GoPro mounted to it that gets mailed around to Dorkroomers.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Google Glasses would be great if they could record. Do it MST3K-style, with one witless goon going around doing photography and two clever/crude/mean goons commenting on the livestream.

"You fool! You're clearly not taking advantage of your cross points!"
"No, it's okay in his situation... because he's going to blow out the entire photo anyway!"
"You're right... AHAHAHAHHA"
"AHAHHAHAHAAH"
"AHAHAHAHAHAHA"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Clearly you are a pleb shooting inferior cameras. Good mags have a dark slide holder on the back.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Clearly you are a pleb shooting inferior cameras. Expensive mags for people that touch themselves over serial numbers matching have a dark slide holder on the back.

Fixed that. Ballers shoot $20 A-12 backs and use the saved money on more film.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

B-But the guy at the camera shop said SN-matched Hasselblads work better smoother take better pictures!
:qqsay:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

tarepanda posted:

point webcam at studio setup

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

B-But the guy at the camera shop said SN-matched Hasselblads work better smoother take better pictures!
:qqsay:

I never understood peoples logic about that. "I pay poo poo loads of money to a company that makes amazing mechanical devices. Yet I think that they are so sloppy that if you use an identical part with a different serial number than the one that originally came in the film back, it explodes and kills 37 orphans."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Hahaha fair jab. Though I have 3 backs and none of them match the body. And that doesn't match anything either, though I (and the previous owner) purchased them together.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

This exactly.

I was thinking about selling my Bronica SQ-Ai setup and my Mamiya RB-67 setup and putting the money toward a Hassy 500CM, but... :negative: god drat it's so much money...

edit-- I know it's a pittance in "photo bux", but it's still a lot of money to me

edit2-- There's the following listing on Craigslist for $500: Hasselblad 500C + CZ 80mm 2.8 + waistlevel finder, prism finder, pistol grip, polaroid back, cable release and film. Is that a decent deal? Is the C much worse than the CM?

edit3-- WELP, it was sold already, nevermind.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 25, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

I never understood peoples logic about that. "I pay poo poo loads of money to a company that makes amazing mechanical devices. Yet I think that they are so sloppy that if you use an identical part with a different serial number than the one that originally came in the film back, it explodes and kills 37 orphans."

I think I understand the logic, but don't agree with it-- I would guess that they know devices are built within a tolerance, if it's +/- X%, it's within spec. They likely assume that if the SNs match, it's probably a super low tolerance between the two devices, as they were built very closely together or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shmoogy posted:

I think I understand the logic, but don't agree with it-- I would guess that they know devices are built within a tolerance, if it's +/- X%, it's within spec. They likely assume that if the SNs match, it's probably a super low tolerance between the two devices, as they were built very closely together or something.

I see what you are saying and like you, I also disagree with it.

Partly because just because the SNs are close, then there is no particular reason to assume that the two manufacturing runs were well-matched and also because it seems unlikely that there would be a significant variance anyway.