Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

VirtualWin.

This is perfect, thank you so much for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Sylink posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multiple desktop/virtual desktop program for Win 7? I was using sysinternals desktops in XP but its kind of flunky in 7 and hasn't been updated.

Multiple desktops are awesome why dont you build it in microsoft :(

Dexpot 1.6 is working great for me

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I have an old Windows XP partition I don't use but Windows 7 won't let me format it as it tells me it's a system drive. When I boot my computer I get a choice of booting in Windows 7 or XP, which I don't really want. How can I fix these two annoyances?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

DVD maker doesn't support .flvs or .mp4s, it seems. DVDflick worked, though.

Could just throw the video into Windows Live Movie Maker and then send that through the DVD maker directly. Works pretty good.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boz0r posted:

I have an old Windows XP partition I don't use but Windows 7 won't let me format it as it tells me it's a system drive. When I boot my computer I get a choice of booting in Windows 7 or XP, which I don't really want. How can I fix these two annoyances?

I had the exact same issue to mess with this last weekend (stupid System drive got put on one of my storage drives)

Anyway the fix is easy enough even if you are not going to format or remove the XP stuff.

In Windows 7

Open up a command prompt and type DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK
Type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the old WinXP drive)
Type LIST PARTITION
Type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive)
Type INACTIVE
Type EXIT to exit DISKPART
Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt
Reboot

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
That probably worked, but now my computer doesn't boot :( I figure that the boot manager was on that partition. What do I do?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Boz0r posted:

That probably worked, but now my computer doesn't boot :( I figure that the boot manager was on that partition. What do I do?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Do you have a 7 Install disk? Boot to that and run a startup repair. (If that doesn't work you can also see about getting to the command prompt within the install disk and running diskpart from there and just setting the primary drive to active (sorry forgot to tell you to check/do this earlier))

Your not boned, just a few steps I left out because not thinking fully. :/

Every once in a while I have one of those days myself and do the samn drat thing.

Also this..

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 24, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Well it got rid of the boot choosing thing. I'll try finding my Win 7 disc tomorrow. Thanks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Well it got rid of the boot choosing thing. I'll try finding my Win 7 disc tomorrow. Thanks.

Sorry for botching you like that. I admit I forget that step more often than I should. Having a couple good boot cd toolkits and such around at all times has made me lazy.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For those of you willing to drop :10bux:, ninite updater is pretty awesome. I've been using it for about a month and it seamlessly updates all the programs you have installed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roving Reporter posted:

For those of you willing to drop :10bux:, ninite updater is pretty awesome. I've been using it for about a month and it seamlessly updates all the programs you have installed.

We just started using this at work to setup new systems and it is indeed pretty great, even the free version.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In either this or the past software megathread someone posted a utility that transfered all user data and program files from an old PC to a new one so that the new fresh windows install had all the software (including registry entries, file associations, etc) that the old PC had.. If I recall correctly it worked pretty well but it was pricey, like $60 per one shot use.

Anyone recall the name of the software?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 25, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Canuckistan posted:

In either this or the past software megathread someone posted a utility that transfered all user data and program files from an old PC to a new one so that the new fresh windows install had all the software (including registry entries, file associations, etc) that the old PC had.. If I recall correctly it worked pretty well but it was pricey, like $60 per one shot use.

Anyone recall the name of the software?

Might have had something to do with Laplink, which I'm sure many people will remember as a company who made transfer software and cables many many years ago.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My laptop has been very weirdly slow of late. It's a Dell Latitude D820 (the one with the battery that dies after 3 months). It's a basically fresh install of Windows 7 x32, and literally all that has been installed on the computer are flash, java, firefox, and MS Office. There's not even a scroll bar on the "programs and features" control panel.

Thing is, just opening a new tab in firefox can take 5-10 seconds on these days, and the only extension that's running on firefox is SALR (it's a basically fresh profile). I've already run CCleaner and Malwarebytes on this computer (multiple times), and I'm at a loss for software-ish things that could be causing the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the power cable has cracked casing toward the laptop end, and some laptops underclock themselves if they're getting irregular power, but I wasn't sure if d820s had that feature. Is there any other software sort of things I can try before I write this laptop off as dead to the ages?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd do a scandisk and then a memory check. Also see if there is a BIOS update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GreenNight posted:

I'd do a scandisk and then a memory check. Also see if there is a BIOS update.
Do a readout of the harddisk's s.m.a.r.t. values with CrystalDiskInfo before doing the scandisk.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My laptop has been very weirdly slow of late. It's a Dell Latitude D820 (the one with the battery that dies after 3 months). It's a basically fresh install of Windows 7 x32, and literally all that has been installed on the computer are flash, java, firefox, and MS Office. There's not even a scroll bar on the "programs and features" control panel.

Thing is, just opening a new tab in firefox can take 5-10 seconds on these days, and the only extension that's running on firefox is SALR (it's a basically fresh profile). I've already run CCleaner and Malwarebytes on this computer (multiple times), and I'm at a loss for software-ish things that could be causing the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the power cable has cracked casing toward the laptop end, and some laptops underclock themselves if they're getting irregular power, but I wasn't sure if d820s had that feature. Is there any other software sort of things I can try before I write this laptop off as dead to the ages?

I used CoreTemp when my 830 was dying to show the techs how badly it was throttling. With C2D systems, it should show you the clock speed for both cores, as well as the frequency modulation.

It's amazing how lovely a laptop runs when you're trying to encode video and it has both cores locked at 800MHz.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I noticed the shsc.info link for software is down, so I'll ask here:

A friend of mine wants to have someone in his family make a copy of his hard drive (internal) to put onto another hard drive (external). Basically, he doesn't want his brother (not very computer-savvy) to gently caress up moving some important files (including various program files).

Is a straight disk image useful for this (and if so, what program (free) is best)? Or should something else be used? If I'm not mistaken, you can't exactly copy over every file since Windows won't allow you to.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Try robocopy.
code:
robocopy D:\ E:\ /mir
Will copy everything from D:\ and put it on E:\, and delete anything on E:\ that isn't on D:\. If you run it again, it will skip any files that haven't changed. However, any changes on E:\ would be wiped out.

Robocopy is built into Windows 7.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Try robocopy.
code:
robocopy D:\ E:\ /mir
Will copy everything from D:\ and put it on E:\, and delete anything on E:\ that isn't on D:\. If you run it again, it will skip any files that haven't changed. However, any changes on E:\ would be wiped out.

Robocopy is built into Windows 7.

This is really neat. Is there a way to just copy--without deleting any contents of E:\?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Keyboard Kid posted:

This is really neat. Is there a way to just copy--without deleting any contents of E:\?

robocopy source dest /E /R:0

either use /E or just make a folder on your E: drive and do: robocopy D:\ E:\folder /MIR /R:0

Here is a list of all the options: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 25, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have Windows 7 on one out of three partitions on my main disk. I've bought an SSD and want to move my OS to it. The only guides I've found deal with copying the entire disk to the SSD, and my SSD isn't big enough for that.

How do I do this the best way?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Boz0r posted:

I have Windows 7 on one out of three partitions on my main disk. I've bought an SSD and want to move my OS to it. The only guides I've found deal with copying the entire disk to the SSD, and my SSD isn't big enough for that.

You could use CloneZilla to image the partition only rather than the entire disk. However, I'd check over in the SSD thread to make sure you're not missing something because I believe cloning the drive requires additional steps to be taken afterward to make sure windows uses the SSD properly.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I tried using CloneZilla, but it gave me a couple of errors and didn't clone the boot section. I'll try checking the SSD thread but there isn't anything in the OP :(

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Boz0r posted:

What kind of SSD? Most of them offer their own third-party imaging software for download...

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Corsair Force 3 120GB

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DriveImageXML can also do partition -> partition imaging, and supports VSS so it can read your OS partition as well.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I figured this was the best place to ask. My desktop currently has windows 7 Home Premium on it, and my laptop has Ultimate. What I'm planning on doing is just wiping the laptop and playing with windows 8. I have been making a backup of my hard drive on an external drive, would it be possible to install the Ultimate on my desktop, restore it from my backup and keep the 7 key separate/use it on my laptop if I go back?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured this was the best place to ask. My desktop currently has windows 7 Home Premium on it, and my laptop has Ultimate. What I'm planning on doing is just wiping the laptop and playing with windows 8. I have been making a backup of my hard drive on an external drive, would it be possible to install the Ultimate on my desktop, restore it from my backup and keep the 7 key separate/use it on my laptop if I go back?

You might have to call MS and answer the magic question: "How many devices is this license used on?", but wouldn't it be a lot easier to just run Windows8 from Virtual Box or something?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you really want to run Win8 on real hardware, why not install it on a virtual HD? http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideToInstallingAndBootingWindows8DeveloperPreviewOffAVHDVirtualHardDisk.aspx

I did this, and it works really well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AlexDeGruven posted:

I used CoreTemp when my 830 was dying to show the techs how badly it was throttling. With C2D systems, it should show you the clock speed for both cores, as well as the frequency modulation.

It's amazing how lovely a laptop runs when you're trying to encode video and it has both cores locked at 800MHz.

Just a heads up, but CoreTemp force-installed Yahoo Toolbar despite the fact that I unchecked "install yahoo toolbar" in the installer.

That aside, my Core2Duo is apparently locked at 998mhz. Suspicion confirmed. Now money needs to fall from the sky for a new laptop.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'm looking for a desktop weather widget that is visually appealing and not the built in one because it's been buggy for me. Googling for one has only turned up some pretty terrible ones. I know there must be some great ones out there.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

mowhonic posted:

I'm looking for a desktop weather widget that is visually appealing and not the built in one because it's been buggy for me. Googling for one has only turned up some pretty terrible ones. I know there must be some great ones out there.

Have you seen HUD Weather?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Just a heads up, but CoreTemp force-installed Yahoo Toolbar despite the fact that I unchecked "install yahoo toolbar" in the installer.

Always click "More downloads..." on the CoreTemp site, right under the main text.
Then bam, you get a link to "Download standalone", choose 32 or 64 bit as appropriate, comes in a zip file with no installer.

All alarm bells should be going off when it says "Clicking this Download button starts InstallIQ™, which manages your installation." under the main download link.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

^^^ What this guy said ^^^

That aside, my Core2Duo is apparently locked at 998mhz. Suspicion confirmed. Now money needs to fall from the sky for a new laptop.

I should have noted that, my apologies. I'm already used to doing it the standalone way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HalloKitty posted:

Always click "More downloads..." on the CoreTemp site, right under the main text.
Then bam, you get a link to "Download standalone", choose 32 or 64 bit as appropriate, comes in a zip file with no installer.

All alarm bells should be going off when it says "Clicking this Download button starts InstallIQ™, which manages your installation." under the main download link.

Thanks. I had assumed that it was like any other freeware installer (aka, it would try to trick me into accepting a bunch of installs if I wasn't paying attention while clicking Next), but it caught me completely by surprise that I could say "no, don't install that" and then it did it anyway. Fortunately Firefox was smart enough task if I wanted to install an add-on from an untrusted source and I said No there.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
This is probably the best place to ask this, but has anyone tried using Symlinks to sync folders through the new Skydrive application for windows? I've tried both mklink /d and mklink /j and both will create a symlink that skydrive will sync once, but not update. I can force the update by closing the skydrive program and reopening it, but it doesn't do it automatically? Is there any way around moving things into the skydrive folder?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

A can of air in the vents hasn't helped any? (Or a replacement fan if that need be the case?) Laptop heating issues can be fixed pretty easy these days.

On top of that, if it isn't a heating issue, you havent somehow switched the power profile to power saving or something have you? That would pull the cpu down to power saving clocks and keep it there to save battery.

I have a Centrino Duo (Pre Core 2) laptop that has been my video encoder machine for years and it continues to work fantastic. Hell the Atom powered netbooks get hotter idle then this thing does under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Naffer posted:

This is probably the best place to ask this, but has anyone tried using Symlinks to sync folders through the new Skydrive application for windows? I've tried both mklink /d and mklink /j and both will create a symlink that skydrive will sync once, but not update. I can force the update by closing the skydrive program and reopening it, but it doesn't do it automatically? Is there any way around moving things into the skydrive folder?

You can invert the locations, if you really really want to. Eg, put the actual files in Skydrive and symlink the old location to the skydrive location. This assumes that whatever apps that are going to use those files don't also rely on file update notifications.

Dropbox is the same way, but at least Skydrive picked up my new symlinks immediately without a restart, whereas I find myself restarting Dropbox all the time.

It's probably easier just to periodically restart the app.