Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I'm actually okay with this. I'm absolutely not going to rebuy the game just for one skin, which in my opinion doesnt really look that great anyway, but the voice work is now in place to allow TW to make more characters in the future.

TW have gone about this in an odd way and the fan reaction is justified, but if it leads to more content I'm fine with it. More content is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Scyantific posted:

What I want to know is how she'll sound when tossing out the dosh.

This is the most important part of the new character. If her Dosh-tossing voice is bad then I expect horrible failure :colbert:

It would be magical if the German and French voice packs were just horribly accented English saying the original lines.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They better release a Ms. Foster. :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Alteisen posted:

They better release a Ms. Foster. :colbert:

Mr. Foster was too busy with Karaoke to get married.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
It's good to see how they still care for this game, and I'd love to see this care extended to bugfixes. When I host a game for more than 1 people, we simply cannot do MountainPass as it will kick the bucket with a GPF babbling about SpriteEmitters and SkeletalMeshes. Deleting-reinstalling (as recommended by the official forum) didn't help so far, and my friends are too lazy to set up their routers to host.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to fix the 6 shooter glitch, fix the glitch now where weapons vanish if they're on the floor and the trader countdown ends and there's some more trader glitches around as well.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Alteisen posted:

They need to fix the 6 shooter glitch, fix the glitch now where weapons vanish if they're on the floor and the trader countdown ends and there's some more trader glitches around as well.
The vanishing weapons thing isn't a glitch, it's intentional. Something about memory or graphics overload. And if you're talking about the weight bug on the magnums that allowed people to stock every weapon possible, that was also apparently "fixed."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim DiGriz posted:

It's good to see how they still care for this game, and I'd love to see this care extended to bugfixes. When I host a game for more than 1 people, we simply cannot do MountainPass as it will kick the bucket with a GPF babbling about SpriteEmitters and SkeletalMeshes. Deleting-reinstalling (as recommended by the official forum) didn't help so far, and my friends are too lazy to set up their routers to host.

Are you making a listen or dedicated server? Is it only when you host?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

The vanishing weapons thing isn't a glitch, it's intentional. Something about memory or graphics overload. And if you're talking about the weight bug on the magnums that allowed people to stock every weapon possible, that was also apparently "fixed."

No, I mean the fact that guns weigh 2 but show up as 4 when you buy them, they need to fix that.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Are you making a listen or dedicated server? Is it only when you host?

I'm listening. Never seen that issue with only one player joining, but with 2 it's much more probable and with 3 it's pretty much unavoidable. We'll try another guy to be the host, I'll try some other levels as well (though MP is so much fun...)

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Is somebody using the flamethrower? The firebug weapons almost always cause GPFs for me, but they are also the only things that cause GPFs for me.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE CHORSE posted:

Is somebody using the flamethrower? The firebug weapons almost always cause GPFs for me, but they are also the only things that cause GPFs for me.

I've read this, too, and yes, we had a firebug - but last time we tried without it, and I threw a grenade, and the explosion killed the game as well. I set physics and decals to low, I'll check if there are any other related settings, but I'm running out of ideas.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
I ran into game crashes with firebug a lot when playing LAN games, we eventually figured out that it had to do with the particle effects + a non-dedicated server. Try setting up a dedicated server and seeing if the problem persists?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, someone already mentioned this. Well, making a dedicated server solved the problem for me.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mitsuo posted:

I ran into game crashes with firebug a lot when playing LAN games, we eventually figured out that it had to do with the particle effects + a non-dedicated server. Try setting up a dedicated server and seeing if the problem persists?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, someone already mentioned this. Well, making a dedicated server solved the problem for me.

Well, I'm off to try this route then, some Google searching has shown that one can have a dedicated server on their machine and play on it too, so we'll see to this. Thanks for the tips, all.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jim DiGriz posted:

Well, I'm off to try this route then, some Google searching has shown that one can have a dedicated server on their machine and play on it too, so we'll see to this. Thanks for the tips, all.
Yeah I got into the habit of always hosting a dedicated server instead of a listen one when I play with friends because back when the game first came out there were a bunch of bugs related to listen servers (like smoke never disappearing if you weren't the host) and I don't know if they were ever fixed.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I got into the habit of always hosting a dedicated server instead of a listen one when I play with friends because back when the game first came out there were a bunch of bugs related to listen servers (like smoke never disappearing if you weren't the host) and I don't know if they were ever fixed.

Then you might have some extra tips to check, because I've spent an hour trying to get my friends to connect to my server. The strange thing is: I could connect to it via my external IP address (and DynDNS domain) flawlessly, they only got "Server not responding", no matter how they tried to join (invite, Steam->Join Game, adding my IP to the favourites). Settings are the same as when I listen, ports all forwarded, everything is by the books, but no help.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Basically all I did was forward the ports, start the dedicated server, join the server through the LAN menu because it would show up there, and then just go over to one of those sites that shows you your external IP and give that number to my friends who would open the console and join by typing "open [IP number]". Inviting and joining through Steam won't work because it'll try to join on your internal IP (which obviously doesn't work). I hope that helps somehow.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Insert name here posted:

Basically all I did was forward the ports, start the dedicated server, join the server through the LAN menu because it would show up there, and then just go over to one of those sites that shows you your external IP and give that number to my friends who would open the console and join by typing "open [IP number]". Inviting and joining through Steam won't work because it'll try to join on your internal IP (which obviously doesn't work). I hope that helps somehow.

Yeah, same here, except for the whole it being operational part. The most screwed-up part is how I could connect to my external IP without a hitch, yet they couldn't. Oh well, no firebugs, no big, open levels until I fix this somehow. Thanks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I just broke Commando level 4, I am not looking forward to killing another 1200 Stalkers :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Commando is really boring to level. The damage requeriment is not that bad but it took me countless hours farming Stalkers on private servers with friends to get to level 5 and im still on 2554/3600 to lvl6 :suicide:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I didn't find getting to Commando 6 that bad. It took a couple of weeks of playing normally while prioritising stalkers over any other enemy and the kill count roughly kept up with the damage requirement. I didn't feel the need to grind kills or anything. I guess if you're in a hurry you could just SAM it. I think commando is one of the best and most fun classes and one way or another well worth getting to 6. Your guns are so cheap and ammo is so plentiful you're a drat murder machine. Easily the most fun class.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Commando is really boring to level. The damage requeriment is not that bad but it took me countless hours farming Stalkers on private servers with friends to get to level 5 and im still on 2554/3600 to lvl6 :suicide:

You're going to want to download the map kf-survival. Run through it once or twice solo on Easy every few days and you shouldn't need to sweat stalker kills holding you back. That's the only way I ever 'cheated' my stats and only then because stalker kills are just way out of wack with the other leveling requirements. I think I had enough damage for lv6 at lv4...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers for pointing me that map, I'll try it and see if i can get it to 6 soon.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Whilst I remember playing on some special maps to boost Stalker numbers, for the most part I just ensured I had a Bullpup no matter what class I played, and switched to it whenever Stalkers appeared.
I think Manor seemed to spawn a lot, but that's anecdotal and likely not true at all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
TW caves to public outrage, will release chick character as DLC:

The Yoshiro @ 05:26PM on April 24, 2012 posted:

Here we are, 5 days after the initial unveiling of the Killing Floor Gold packaging and the introduction of Female Characters to the game. Much has been said in this short period of time, and we have been listening. But first, lets look at the history of these characters.

Downloadable character packs started as an experiment for Killing Floor. When we created them we had no idea they would become the runaway hit that they have. But to this day, we as a company have looked at them and treated them as extra completely unnecessary content, not gameplay content. These were items players could obtain at a minimal extra cost to help them stand out (or just support further KF development) for a minimal additional cost. Being as they are still something fairly new to us, we have experimented with them even further since their release. Our commitment to keep updating Killing Floor with additional content for free remains unchanged.

Over time we have seen the community pick and choose their favorite characters, and ask for even more. There have also been those who have gone out of their way to obtain every available character, such as the exclusive The Ball character who was available as a pre-order only bonus. This was a reward for those who took a leap of faith on The Ball sight unseen. We made a promise to those who did pre-order that it would be theirs and theirs alone. We have stood by that promise. For Red Orchestra 2, we again introduced exclusive characters for those that obtained the digital deluxe edition (not making it time limited based on feedback from the The Ball character), and even allowed the ability to upgrade your version to DD after purchase.

Which leads us to where we stand today. Thanks to Iceberg Interactive, our European distribution partner, we were able to go ahead and create both the tech and voices required. As such, they have an exclusive on the very first character, so that they can recoup the costs through their retail outlets. We can then use all of that tech moving forward to introduce additional female characters for the community as DLC and/or as unlockables during special events.

But both we and Iceberg have heard the community's request on Ash. We weren't expecting such a surge of interest from the existing player base, so, Iceberg have offered to let us release her as DLC, after their retailers have had a short period of exclusivity. This way, the Gold Edition is a good deal for those who don't yet have the game - and retailers get a limited-time exclusive. We'll release her as DLC in August at $4.99 (base US price) for the special character plus the voicepack. And, for good measure, we'll donate 20% of the proceeds to charity as a bit of a penance for not realizing quite how much extra characters matter to people!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 24, 2012

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Takes No Damage posted:

TW caves to public outrage, will release chick character as DLC:

Wow. What other developer would donate 20% for this? Mad respect.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

literally the first good decision TWI has made this year.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tripwire owns. Period.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
August? But I wanna play as her now. :cry:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is TWI actually working on a KF sequel? They've been making other games that haven't done that well or haven't reviewed well. They could really do great things with an up-to-date KF.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I don't care if they reuse every art asset in a new engine, I just want a game where everything doesn't have a bizarre greenish or reddish tint due to rendering with low color precision.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Dudebro posted:

Is TWI actually working on a KF sequel? They've been making other games that haven't done that well or haven't reviewed well. They could really do great things with an up-to-date KF.

If they are there's been no word of it, though it would make sense for it to be their next game. Probably really far off either way.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure I want a KF after the disaster RO2 was.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I would actually be kind of surprised if they found a way to screw up KF, but who knows anymore.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

folgore posted:

I would actually be kind of surprised if they found a way to screw up KF, but who knows anymore.
Considering they're adding crosshairs and removing free-aim in RO2 I would say yeah they'll probably screw up KF2.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Insert name here posted:

Considering they're adding crosshairs and removing free-aim in RO2 I would say yeah they'll probably screw up KF2.
I hate to admit this, but I agree. There would be some way they'd probably manage to make me lose confidence in a KF2 title. They have hosed up so many things since the release of RO2 that at this point, I doubt they could do something better than KF beyond just adding additional content to KF.

Gromit posted:

Whilst I remember playing on some special maps to boost Stalker numbers, for the most part I just ensured I had a Bullpup no matter what class I played, and switched to it whenever Stalkers appeared.
I think Manor seemed to spawn a lot, but that's anecdotal and likely not true at all.
I've played a ton of commando and manor was originally my map for farming stalkers, since two stalker/crawler spawns are right next to eachother. Meaning you can very easily farm stalker kills from the linked spot if you want.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
What are some features/additions you'd want to see in a KF sequel? Honestly, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a better (prettier) graphical engine. Other then that I'm pretty happy with KF as-is, warts and all.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I ended up on the MIG server yesterday and holy crap, there's some great 3rd party maps out there. We played a few survival, never ending maps that were a hell of a lot of fun. It got to be that there were so many uglies running around that it was absolute pandemonium.

Except for Lockdown. Lockdown sucks nuts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I've played a ton of commando and manor was originally my map for farming stalkers, since two stalker/crawler spawns are right next to eachother. Meaning you can very easily farm stalker kills from the linked spot if you want.

Either that spot on Manor or the rooftop on Offices seem to be the easiest for grinding Stalkers on vanilla maps. Though at that point, you're really probably better off just using a third party map (or SAM)..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Require More Fire posted:

What are some features/additions you'd want to see in a KF sequel? Honestly, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a better (prettier) graphical engine. Other then that I'm pretty happy with KF as-is, warts and all.

I'd like to see more weapons that are beneficial for more than one class. Perhaps an explosive shotgun for demo and support, flare gun for sharp shooter and pyro... etc

And purely for me, not something that'd likely happen. I want a story line set a few years after the first game. Remember at the end of Shawn of the Dead where people have just gotten used to zombies and they use them for manual labor, and in the dvd's extra features they even have zombies competing in a wacky game show for meat. basically that, instead of roaming around ruined london boroughs, it's all a big game show with some smug smarmy host announcer, maps varying from walled up parts of london with lots of cameras and lights, to game arenas that look like zombie filled pinball machines. Basically 3d undead multiplayer smash tv. With maybe some of the competitive zombie smashing games from Dead Rising 2 thrown in.

• Locked thread