Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Has anyone actually listened to his debates? He posted this a few days ago, but I'll admit I've become lazy with Conservative and when I see two hours on a video I just close it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0USXvJfo38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ErIog posted:

It's pretty clear that Conservative/ShockOfGod has actual diagnosable mental illness. I think of like a conservative fundamentalist version of ulillillillia.

That's kind of offensive to ulillillillia. Conservative is probably just as autistic, but he's also pretty stupid too.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I had nothing better to do, so I decided to check in with Conservapedia again. It turns out that Conservative's latest fad is pretending to be mysterious.

Main talk page posted:

Laika, I/we never said I was an American. Second, I/we don't believe USA exports have increased significantly under the Obama administration. Obama seems focused on wealth distribution, engaging in his wars, promoting homosexuality and playing golf and taking vacations. Obama is LBJ 2.0/Carter 2.0/leftist liberal elitist all rolled into one. Conservative 15:27, 20 April 2012 (EDT)

quote:

User:Conservative, could you please stop this silly I/we are male/female(s) farce? Reading your comments the only question I have is whether you are twelve years old! AugustO 16:22, 20 April 2012 (EDT)

AugustO, we are not amused by your last post. "Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu Conservative 16:44, 20 April 2012 (EDT)

User:Conservative, congratulations, my fate seems to be in your hand, as your comments aren't sound anymore... AugustO 17:02, 20 April 2012 (EDT)

And of course

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kissekatt posted:

I had nothing better to do, so I decided to check in with Conservapedia again. It turns out that Conservative's latest fad is pretending to be mysterious.

And of course

Conservative won't last long without the ability to tell everyone how manly he is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

He doesn't need to do that, he just needs to call them girly.

fakeedit: also fat.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo, Conservative is literally losing his loving mind. Like, actually descending into psychosis before our very eyes.

Wow, how very "mysterious". A noted middle aged WASP from America that posts on a website run by another middle aged WASP from America that arguably promotes ONLY a middle aged WASP from America view point sure is pulling the wool over my eyes with this "we/she/he/us/I/pronoun" bullshit.

I guess the best I can do is be glad that Conservative's raging mental illness has manifested itself in a way that doesn't involve people getting murdered or something.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 23, 2012

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I like that he's applying Sun Tzu's teachings to his allies. The implication is that he sees the other posters on Conservapedia among the enemies he is fighting against. Because, you know...Conservapedia...a place just lousy with loving liberals getting all up in his loving grill.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So Conservative is either an unmarried 25 to 40 year old white male or a collection of asexual like minded proteins?

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I personally like to think that Conservative now views himself as just that: the very concept of being Conservative. He has spent years raging against every fat atheist there is and making every ad Hilterum argument to be made; heck, as his ShockOfGod persona, he has literally proved (Republican-)Christianity to be objectively true. There was nothing left in this world that he could accomplish without ascending to a higher state of being; his mind having grown beyond the limitations foisted upon him by a physical existence. He is no longer a White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant, he is a Worldwide, All-Seeing Presence. Gender? Age? These are but vestiges of his former shell. In his mind, he has ascended this physical plane and merged with the Minds of Reagan and Friedman to form a sort of Conservative Hive-Mind Triumvirate which will, at long last, wipe all traces of liberalism from planet Earth.

The sad thing is, this is probably closer to the truth than it has any right to be since he is literally mentally loving ill.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

C.C.C.P. posted:

I personally like to think that Conservative now views himself as just that: the very concept of being Conservative. He has spent years raging against every fat atheist there is and making every ad Hilterum argument to be made; heck, as his ShockOfGod persona, he has literally proved (Republican-)Christianity to be objectively true. There was nothing left in this world that he could accomplish without ascending to a higher state of being; his mind having grown beyond the limitations foisted upon him by a physical existence. He is no longer a White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant, he is a Worldwide, All-Seeing Presence. Gender? Age? These are but vestiges of his former shell. In his mind, he has ascended this physical plane and merged with the Minds of Reagan and Friedman to form a sort of Conservative Hive-Mind Triumvirate which will, at long last, wipe all traces of liberalism from planet Earth.

C'Tiv must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its god, C.C.C.P., is the answer to its question, "Is there nothing more"?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

10. Explain why something as complex as human life could happen by chance, but something as simple as a coin must have a creator. (Show your math solution.)

It's hard to see a question like this and not think the whole thing is one massive trolling expedition.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
So, I didn't see this talked about in this thread, but it left me mind boggled. At first I though that it was an April Fool's joke, since it was created on April 1st, but the conversation started before that, so I assume that it wasn't meant to be a joke.

e: A link would be helpful: Link

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love you Young Earth Creationists always compaire something organic with something inorganic.

Of course a pile of junk won't turn itself in a car after a million years because the parts don't interact with each other naturally.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Gross Dude posted:

So, I didn't see this talked about in this thread, but it left me mind boggled. At first I though that it was an April Fool's joke, since it was created on April 1st, but the conversation started before that, so I assume that it wasn't meant to be a joke.

That's isn't just failing at physics, it's falling at math too. It's E=mc^2, not m=Ec^2. Apparently Schafly can't do algebra correctly either.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gross Dude posted:

quote:

Aschlafly, two protons (1.0073amu) and two neutrons (1.0087amu) have a combined mass of 4.0320 amu. An alpha-particle - existing from two protons and two neutrons - has a mass of 4.0015 amu. How do you explain this diminution of mass?
AugustO 13:42, 26 March 2012 (EDT)
What real evidence do you have that these particles even exist? No doubt you've read it in a book or some "qualified person" has said it is true. In reality you accept these things on the word of somebody else - in other words your belief in the existence of these particles is a matter of scientific faith in something which you have no personal knowledge. There is obviously no problem with believing things on faith, but please don't pretend it's "true because science says it's true". Christians get their real truth from a higher authority.--DavidEdwards 18:49, 26 March 2012 (EDT)

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I think he's reasoning along these lines:
Eating food gives you energy. And since this formula says what energy equals, you can figure out how much energy you've eaten by using this formula. When m = 1 lb. of cake, the energy in that cake is 1*c2, hence the comment that eating a pound of cake increases your energy by the speed of light squared.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I don't believe in maths anyway. All the numbers we need are in the Bible and there's no equations in my copy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fried Chicken posted:

:words: about mass-energy equivalence.

If anyone's wondering, it's all in the energy used by the weak nuclear force to bind the nucleons together. :eng101:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I don't believe in maths anyway. All the numbers we need are in the Bible and there's no equations in my copy.

quote:

Biblical Scientific Foreknowledge predicts that a unified theory of all the laws of physics is impossible, because light and matter were created at different times, in different ways, as described in the Book of Genesis.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

If anyone's wondering, it's all in the energy used by the weak nuclear force to bind the nucleons together. :eng101:

And we're supposed to just trust the :airquote: scientists :airquote: that these so-called :airquote: nucleons :airquote: even exist? I have it on higher authority that matter is really made up of fire, wind, earth and water. Do you want me to believe some scientists over Aristotle?

E: oh, and stars are made of Aether. So is the moon.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

colonelslime posted:

And we're supposed to just trust the :airquote: scientists :airquote: that these so-called :airquote: nucleons :airquote: even exist? I have it on higher authority that matter is really made up of fire, wind, earth and water. Do you want me to believe some scientists over Aristotle?

They probably call them nuke-u-lee-ons anyway. Misunderestimating the whole thing...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Ah ha ha ha wait that guy is arguing against the existence of things like alpha particles and Helium? I mean he's definitely arguing that neutrons and protons don't exist because I guess matter is against God but given that he refers to alpha particles and the guy specifically asks how he knows those 'particles' exist I'm kind of thinking he doesn't believe in them too.

My main suggestion in that case is that he goes and finds himself a nice basement with some Radon gas to chill in for a while.

EDIT: Ha ha gold!

http://www.conservapedia.com/Radon

Conservapedia on Radon posted:

The EPA claims that it is a health hazard and causes cancer in people and animals exposed to it, though many conservative commentators and some industrial hygienists[1] state that the dangers are significantly exaggerated.

Their 'industrial hygienist' source is hilarious and while I have no intention of reading through that drivel flip through if you want to see someone claim ionizing radiation is A-OK number one for your health and will prevent lung cancer.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 25, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

E: never mind the awful app is awful.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Gross Dude posted:

These guys are great. They're projecting every insecurity about their own religious views onto the guys trying to defend basic physics.

"Have you ever seen an electron? Ever held it in your hand? Sounds like you're putting blind faith in that physicist's words. :smug:"

"Your scientific arguments are just another form of religion. Feel free to believe that mumbo jumbo, but don't you dare push your views onto me. :smug:"

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

What real evidence do you have that these particles even exist? No doubt you've read it in a book or some "qualified person" has said it is true. In reality you accept these things on the word of somebody else - in other words your belief in the existence of these particles is a matter of scientific faith in something which you have no personal knowledge. There is obviously no problem with believing things on faith, but please don't pretend it's "true because science says it's true". Christians get their real truth from a higher authority.--DavidEdwards 18:49, 26 March 2012 (EDT)

You have to be loving kidding me.

Is that a troll or does this "DavidEdwards" literally believe that as true?

Why is it that religious people constantly ascribe faith to the acceptance of science? Is it just so that they, in their denial and disbelief of science and anything else that doesn't jive with their religious beliefs, don't have to deal with cognitive dissonance or do they seriously not understand how science works?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Bruce Leroy posted:

Why is it that religious people constantly ascribe faith to the acceptance of science? Is it just so that they, in their denial and disbelief of science and anything else that doesn't jive with their religious beliefs, don't have to deal with cognitive dissonance or do they seriously not understand how science works?

I wouldn't paint every religious person with the same brush, but this is how I see it for the target Conservapedia audience: they're convinced they already have The Truth, so the notion of being open to newer, better interpretations of the world rubs them the wrong way. The scientific process operates in a completely different way than they're used to- it's much easier for them to label science as they would any other heretical belief system and dismiss it.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That sound you all just heard was me putting my fist through my monitor over that DavidEdwards quote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bruce Leroy posted:

You have to be loving kidding me.

Is that a troll or does this "DavidEdwards" literally believe that as true?

[/quote]
When the guy didn't respond to that

quote:

I find Mr O's position to be rather odd. He insists that Mr Schlafly - and only Mr Schlafly answers his questions. Yet at the same time Mr O steadfastly ignores comments specifically directed at him.--DavidEdwards 16:11, 28 March 2012 (EDT)

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

The Dark One posted:

I wouldn't paint every religious person with the same brush, but this is how I see it for the target Conservapedia audience: they're convinced they already have The Truth, so the notion of being open to newer, better interpretations of the world rubs them the wrong way. The scientific process operates in a completely different way than they're used to- it's much easier for them to label science as they would any other heretical belief system and dismiss it.

I wasn't really referring to every religious person, as I'm aware that there are plenty of religious scientists who compartmentalize well enough, but these retards at Conservapedia are just insane.

It kind of reminds me of reading PZ Myers' Pharyngula blog. Occasionally, Eric Hovind and his group of religious clods invade the comments section on entries about religion or creationism and it's some pretty amazing idiocy like Conservapedia. They start in with all the presupposition bullshit that reads like Buddhist koans and my eyes roll so far and so quickly that my retinas almost detach.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

All the numbers we need are in the Bible and there's no equations in my copy.

There is one equation that all maths should be based on as it is God's word.

And that is 5 + 2 = 5000

5 units of bread + 2 units of fish = 5000 units of food.

Hence all math that does not conform to this is the the devil.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

I don't mean to :godwin: this but is Conservapedia really trying to distinguish "conservative science" as a thing separate from and better than "mainstream" science, like the Deutsche Physik movement in the 30s?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

There is one equation that all maths should be based on as it is God's word.

And that is 5 + 2 = 5000

5 units of bread + 2 units of fish = 5000 units of food.

Hence all math that does not conform to this is the the devil.

There's a great Patton Oswalt bit about how Jesus' miracle powers seem so weird taken together, especially in context of him being like a comic superhero. Like, healing hands and resurrection are awesome necromancer style powers but this whole fish and bread thing seems kind of like Jesus once had a sidekick with those powers and the comic writers just wrote out the sidekick and gave Jesus those lovely extra powers.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Recall that according to the bible, the value of pi is exactly 3... we don't need none of them satanic, homosexual irrational numbers!

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Reminder that Andy graduated cum laude from Princeton University with a degree in electrical engineering and then went to Harvard and graduated magna cum laude, worked as a device physicist for Intel and as an engineer at the applied physics lab of John Hopkins University and Bell Labs yet is somehow stupid enough to think that something as non-controversial (and relevant to his career as a PERSON WHO WORKED IN loving PHYSICS) as "E=MC2" is fake, liberal bias.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Well guys, I made it. 110 pages. Countless laughs and horrified gasps. To celebrate I made an account a few weeks ago that is doing pretty well, I'm looking forward to writing some stormers like best conservative dance moves and homosexuality and agriculture.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

colonelslime posted:

That's isn't just failing at physics, it's falling at math too. It's E=mc^2, not m=Ec^2. Apparently Schafly can't do algebra correctly either.
I'm probably mistaken on part of this, but I think that's actually the point of it. Nuclear fission and fusion outputs have less mass than the inputs, the energy produced IS the lost mass.

I think that means that he really would be increasing his energy by that much if he ate a pound of cake, but USING that energy would require annihilating it with antimatter or something to get 100% of its energy. Instead, his body would be using chemical energy (the energy stored in the inter-atomic chemical bonds), which is there is MUCH less of.

Oh, derp.
vvvv

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 25, 2012

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm probably mistaken on part of this, but I think that's actually the point of it. Nuclear fission and fusion outputs have less mass than the inputs, the energy produced IS the lost mass.
The point you are missing is that E=mc^2 does not mesh with m=Ec^2, it should be m=E/c^2.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Stoat posted:

Well guys, I made it. 110 pages. Countless laughs and horrified gasps. To celebrate I made an account a few weeks ago that is doing pretty well, I'm looking forward to writing some stormers like best conservative dance moves and homosexuality and agriculture.

Although you'd better not use those specific examples, of course.

Try finding a really obscure liberal author and describing them as conservative (or vice-versa!)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Augster posted:

I don't mean to :godwin: this but is Conservapedia really trying to distinguish "conservative science" as a thing separate from and better than "mainstream" science, like the Deutsche Physik movement in the 30s?

Not overtly, but yes. Anything that doesn't jive with Andy's preconceived notion of objective truth is labeled as heretical "liberal science". See: Global warming, Evolution, Relativity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think a good troll, if you have some microbiology background, would be to argue against the distinction between archaea and bacteria. That would totally jive with their worldview.

• Locked thread