Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

ledge posted:

a) It does not sound better than winamp.

b) check the first post for links to the foobar skins section on deviant art if you want a pretty interface there. There are plenty to choose from that work with foobar 1.x

At max volume it's way louder which sounds better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It can sound better than winamp if you're going asio or whatever

Swedish Butt-Whistle
Feb 12, 2004

Mentally Trill

Splinter posted:

I use this skin: http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/HiFoo-v1-7-5-244531383

It's pretty sweet.

Thank you! I believe I just switched to foobar finally.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yea I'm planning on doing that too.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Default columns can be okay if you tailor it to what you want. I often have my player on the right side of my screen so I made it narrow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If foobar asio or kernel streaming sounds better, in a way you can hear blind with normal music, you either have a busted winamp or busted hardware/drivers. You may well have a sound card that does the forced sample conversion in windows mixer (the thing that asio and kstream avoid), but the only time this should be audible is with specific single-tone sounds.

Foobar is our favorite music software with many superior abilities, but "sounds better" is not one of them, as said by it's author. Asio and kernel streaming have their uses (I use kstream myself for fully independent volume), but they don't sound better.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There is literally no reason to use ASIO for a music player unless you have issues with broken sound drivers. ASIO is great for music production where low latency is important, but won't improve audio quality at all.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Oggumogoggum posted:

Default columns can be okay if you tailor it to what you want. I often have my player on the right side of my screen so I made it narrow.

Wouldn't it make sense to toss that year up into the album header? You could use the newly freed up space for playcounts or something else.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

pokecapn posted:

Wouldn't it make sense to toss that year up into the album header? You could use the newly freed up space for playcounts or something else.

Yes, it absolutely would, and I'm not sure why that didn't strike me until you said it.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Is there no way to hide panels with the default UI? Shouldn't you be able to create a container component for the default UI that simply hides whatever is inside of it? Does this really not exist? :(

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

not a dinosaur posted:

Is there no way to hide panels with the default UI? Shouldn't you be able to create a container component for the default UI that simply hides whatever is inside of it? Does this really not exist? :(

Why would this need to exist? Everything can be removed, so why would it need to be present but hidden?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
^ This is correct, but alternatively if you have some weird component that you want to have a panel for, but never see, for some strange reason, you can always create tabs and stick it behind there. Or an empty divider or something.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Is there a way to automatically alphabetize the playlists column in Columns UI?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How do I make foo_playcount statistics show up as columns in a playlist? I'm using Columnsui if it matters. I tried adding %play_count% as a field and nothing ever appears in that column no matter what I do. I know the statistics are being collected because the menu option works.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

How do I make foo_playcount statistics show up as columns in a playlist? I'm using Columnsui if it matters. I tried adding %play_count% as a field and nothing ever appears in that column no matter what I do. I know the statistics are being collected because the menu option works.

%play_count% works for me in sim_playlist in default ui.

Must be something you are doing wrong with how you are defining the column at a guess.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Okay so my foobar is really bad at shuffling. It'll play the same tracks in the same order like twice in a one-hour period. Is there an addon I can get to randomize it better?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

metachronos posted:

Okay so my foobar is really bad at shuffling. It'll play the same tracks in the same order like twice in a one-hour period. Is there an addon I can get to randomize it better?

You do have it set to Shuffle and not Random, right? Also, how big is your playlist? The shuffle feature predicts an entire playlist worth of tracks to play, but will repeat it when it runs out of tracks to play. If you want the core to reset the internal playlist, one option is to click the Random button, or actuate the Random option from the Playback menu.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

metachronos posted:

Make sure you're also viewing your entire music library when you select shuffle or random, otherwise it'll shuffle/randomize an album or artist.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
So mnlt2 is a pretty nice, basic theme for anyone looking for a minimal foobar:

http://fanco86.deviantart.com/art/Mnlt2-183867648

It works great right out of the box with basically zero configuration required. A little bit of work is needed if you want to add extra tabs to the top, but nothing crazy.

There's also a mod of it that has some extra stuff. Both look pretty nice.

I combined pieces from the original and the mod version, ending up with:

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Is there a way to make a "add to favorites playlist" button or keyboard shortcut? I've been looking around and trying to get something to work but the best I come up with is "add to playlist..." and then it asks me to chose what playlist, but that's not quick enough for my tastes.

EDIT: I know making lists is easy and I have tabs for metal/study music/whatever that I've carefully planned but I want a quick, easily-editable favorites playlist for songs I can't stop listening to lately or new songs or whatever.

internet inc fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 1, 2012

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

internet inc posted:

Is there a way to make a "add to favorites playlist" button or keyboard shortcut? I've been looking around and trying to get something to work but the best I come up with is "add to playlist..." and then it asks me to chose what playlist, but that's not quick enough for my tastes.

EDIT: I know making lists is easy and I have tabs for metal/study music/whatever that I've carefully planned but I want a quick, easily-editable favorites playlist for songs I can't stop listening to lately or new songs or whatever.

Do you use ratings currently? If not you could have a shortcut/button to set the rating to 5 or something (which is possible), then create an autoplaylist for songs with a rating of 5.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

internet inc posted:

foo_utils adds Add to (specific) playlist context menu items which can be used in keyboard shortcuts/buttons.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

metachronos posted:

What I do is create a playlist of what I want to shuffle, even if it's my entire library. Then "sort" --> "randomize". It's guaranteed to only play everything once, and if you want, you can tweak the upcoming tracks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've had foobar installed for the better part of a year, and every now then I muck around with it, but I've never been able to get it customized to the point where I'm satisfied enough to use it full-time. A friend and I spent the better part of a Saturday trying to see if we could code it just right but could never get it to work just right.

Basically, what I want more than anything else in the whole wide world is to have something that re-creates the old Winamp Album List. Just a giant list of albums found in directories and sub-directories, in the order they were found. Click on the album, play the album. Every instance I've seen of this sort of thing implemented in foobar seems to pick a number of ways to sort of get close to this sort of thing, but it's never quite right. The default "sort music by the order they are found" options make it an unwieldy enormous list of collapsible/expandable lists, and anything that approaches the interface I'd ideally like sorts them by any method other than directory searching. The closest I was able to get it was a bit of code that searched directories 1 or 2 levels down and alphabetize them, but I have a lot of music organized 3-4 or more folder levels below that.

Are there any builds or code I could try to get it closer?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

TheSkeletonMan posted:

Over the years I've tried just about every music player and I keep coming back to foobar.

I'm currently using a tweaked version of the Mnlt2 skin:

Mnlt2 really is the best. Mine's a little customized, but other than that it's fantastic out of the box, like Dumbledore 64 said.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Guerrand posted:

foo_utils adds Add to (specific) playlist context menu items which can be used in keyboard shortcuts/buttons.

This worked perfectly! Now to make custom icons for these new buttons!

Also, I'm going to start using ratings. Using SimPlaylist I get little squares for the 1-5 ratings, but would like to get stars or something that looks a little better. How?

EDIT: Cancel this. They are now stars, for some reason.

internet inc fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 5, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to set up a dedicated music server that I can just dump all my files onto and have it sit in the corner and serve up tunes all day long. I'm looking for a foobar UI that's similar to Ledge's from the OP (with album art listed beside the tracks in the playlist), but I also want to have all my albums listed over on the left side. If there was a way to add them an album at a time as well as individual tracks that would be cool too. Basically if there was a setup that would just list cover thumbnails + artist/album in a menu on the left that I could either expand to tracks or just dump into the playlist would be ideal for me. Are there any themes or setups that you guys use that do anything similar to this?

And are there any recommendations for how to organize a large music collection to point foobar at? I don't want to just dump everything into a folder with 1000s of artist-album folders laying about. The only thing I can come up with is to make folders for each letter and separate them out like that. Anyone know of a better way, or a way that would play nice with foobar?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm looking to set up a dedicated music server that I can just dump all my files onto and have it sit in the corner and serve up tunes all day long. I'm looking for a foobar UI that's similar to Ledge's from the OP (with album art listed beside the tracks in the playlist), but I also want to have all my albums listed over on the left side. If there was a way to add them an album at a time as well as individual tracks that would be cool too. Basically if there was a setup that would just list cover thumbnails + artist/album in a menu on the left that I could either expand to tracks or just dump into the playlist would be ideal for me. Are there any themes or setups that you guys use that do anything similar to this?

And are there any recommendations for how to organize a large music collection to point foobar at? I don't want to just dump everything into a folder with 1000s of artist-album folders laying about. The only thing I can come up with is to make folders for each letter and separate them out like that. Anyone know of a better way, or a way that would play nice with foobar?

What you're describing for a layout sounds pretty basic and can be set up without any extra components. Foobar has a number of preset layouts that you can choose from and customize to do what you want.

Foobar also doesn't care what your file structure looks like as long as your files are tagged nicely. If you do want a nice folder structure, you can easily tell foobar to organize your files in literally any pattern you can think of. Generally people stick with something like %album artist%\%date% - %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

You can easily make a folder for each letter with something like $left(%album artist%,1)\%album artist%\%date% - %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

Also, foobar doesn't natively act as a server of any kind. There are components for that but I would recommend something like subsonic for that instead.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 5, 2012

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
figured it out

Phonics fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 5, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah some of the default layout options are getting pretty close to what I'm looking for. I didn't notice the View and Filter options at the bottom of the album list at first, that gets me a bit closer to what I'm trying to do. I'm still looking for a way to have the cover art show up in the playlist itself. It sounds like I need to dig a little deeper into the different scripting options to display/organize my Music folder (and go retag a bunch of files :gonk: ).

I tried copy/pating your alphabetic sort suggestion but it's splitting everything out by each track rather than giving me collapsible lists like, A[+], B[+} etc. Assuming you just made that up that's still pretty good, I'm sure if I mess around with it a bit more I'll be able to get it to behave properly, so thanks.

And by server I just meant a headless box that I'll VNC into and run foobar remotely. Not particularly elegant but it should do for the time being.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
How the gently caress are you supposed to edit any of the UI elements. I can't resize them, I can't delete them, I can't do poo poo.

I want to make the boxes on the left smaller and the box on the bottom disappear, and I have absolutely no clue how either of those things are remotely possible. Removing UI elements leaves that stupid loving empty box and nothing is resizable.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to edit any of the UI elements. I can't resize them, I can't delete them, I can't do poo poo.

I want to make the boxes on the left smaller and the box on the bottom disappear, and I have absolutely no clue how either of those things are remotely possible. Removing UI elements leaves that stupid loving empty box and nothing is resizable.

To remove the black bar on the bottom you have to remove the entire right side, right click the playlist and cut it, then right click the divider and paste the playlist into that.

For the unresizable elements, it sounds like the pane height is locked. right click where the divider should be (where the cursor should change to the resizing cursor, this might take a few tries) and see if "Lock Top/Bottom Pane Height" is selected.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Thanks. Getting everything right was still kind of a hassle, but at least I got it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
To anyone using the Mnlt2 skin mod - if it's not too much trouble could you please post the contents of the Album Art Downloader save path box. I tried to change it so that it would automatically update the folder art, but I messed it up and can't find the original settings. Much appreciated.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Dodoman posted:

To anyone using the Mnlt2 skin mod - if it's not too much trouble could you please post the contents of the Album Art Downloader save path box. I tried to change it so that it would automatically update the folder art, but I messed it up and can't find the original settings. Much appreciated.

$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,cover.%%extension%%)

I use cover as the title, so just change that bit to whatever you use. Hopefully this is what you wanted!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, that's perfect. Thanks :buddy:.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I moved from a Monolite 2 to the Musikarte skin and I gotta say, it's pretty kickass. I might have sacrificed neat little tools like the search bar, artist bio and the lyrics readout (which only worked for >30% of my music anyway) but what I got back was a fresh, new, and much better working Last.FM integration and a kickass looking GUI. It was a slight learning curve, but its treated me well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I moved from a Monolite 2 to the Musikarte skin and I gotta say, it's pretty kickass. I might have sacrificed neat little tools like the search bar, artist bio and the lyrics readout (which only worked for >30% of my music anyway) but what I got back was a fresh, new, and much better working Last.FM integration and a kickass looking GUI. It was a slight learning curve, but its treated me well.

I've been using this for a couple months, and quite like it. The only thing I wish it would do is to go back to the mini player where I left it. I leave it in the lower left of my screen, but if I go to the full-sized player and back, it shrinks to the upper-left of the bigger player.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Does anyone know of a 10ft type set up for foobar?

I prefer to bomb out of XBMC and use foobar for music on the TV, but it doesn't look very nice or integrated.

I've got pretty into the normal foobar config in the past, but I have little experience with these sexy 'skinned' versions some of you are sporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just built myself a new machine, lovely new Windows install. I'm determined to finally get to grips with Foobar and make it my sole music playing/organising thing.

No idea why I'm telling you all this to be honest.

• Locked thread