Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The_Doctor posted:

Pretentious, overly precious, take your pick.

It looks like this:

You left out the layer of fat on top of the can or as my dad calls it "flavor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frot Lesnar posted:

You left out the layer of fat on top of the can or as my dad calls it "flavor."

That's actually a layer of fat mixed with gelatin, I think.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Timby posted:

I've always been convinced he's insane ever since the very first 10-second promo for the first season of Sweet Genius -- the one that just had him sitting at a table with that smug grin and slowly nodding. Ever since then, I can't help but look at the guy and think, "This dude has murdered people with poisoned confections."

He's getting closer. One episode I caught while flipping through had him introducing the challenge. "And your inspiration is....*jumps on conveyor belt* ME"

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Timby posted:

There was an episode a while back where Santos and Conant hammered on a contestant for tasting something with a spoon, and then using the same spoon to continue working on the dish -- and he did it in all three rounds.

These criticisms made by some chef's on these shows really bugs me. I mean, I agree with the idea of not contaminating food by the cook's spit, blood or fingers. But there is some real inconsistency. The first time I was aware of this was on Top Chef Season One I think. The first guy kicked off the show was bitched at relentlessy by Hubert Keller for sticking his finger into a pot to taste the sauce. Since then, I always watch for things like this on all shows. And I see it constantly by famous TV chefs and contestants and no one says anything about it. I swear someone took a swig of wine on maybe the first epsiode of Chopped Allstars a few weeks ago and not a word was said. I watched some old Marco Pierre White videos on youtube and he constantly sticks his fingers in food and licks them. It makes me wonder if those that complain are just doing it because they are on tv.

Can anyone who works in real kitchens tell me what the general protocol is for tasting?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I saw someone take a swig of coconut rum. Well two people actually.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

It looks like it just got unplugged from The Matrix.

This will not be lost on the previous page.

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012
Hahah, redpill chickens.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

These criticisms made by some chef's on these shows really bugs me. I mean, I agree with the idea of not contaminating food by the cook's spit, blood or fingers. But there is some real inconsistency. The first time I was aware of this was on Top Chef Season One I think. The first guy kicked off the show was bitched at relentlessy by Hubert Keller for sticking his finger into a pot to taste the sauce. Since then, I always watch for things like this on all shows. And I see it constantly by famous TV chefs and contestants and no one says anything about it. I swear someone took a swig of wine on maybe the first epsiode of Chopped Allstars a few weeks ago and not a word was said. I watched some old Marco Pierre White videos on youtube and he constantly sticks his fingers in food and licks them. It makes me wonder if those that complain are just doing it because they are on tv.

Can anyone who works in real kitchens tell me what the general protocol is for tasting?

Maybe they stay on because as a star, the producers/editors work together to get a storyline around them before shooting even begins, and they can't cut them for anything at that point?

I'm pretty sure in kitchens that don't violate codes you have tasting spoons that are used and washed to be separate from the main utensils. You don't use your hand.

For a bit of Cajun and Creole culture, a lot of people here just get a stirring spoon and with it dip a bit of liquid out whatever they're cooking, dump it in the palm of their hand, and taste like that. No waste!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Bourdain started the conversation but Alton Brown is now asking the Travel Channel via Twitter if they would consider rebooting Feasting on Asphalt.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Bonzo posted:

Bourdain started the conversation but Alton Brown is now asking the Travel Channel via Twitter if they would consider rebooting Feasting on Asphalt.

Now that's something I'd like to see. The first two series was fantastic. Didn't like the third though, Feasting on Waves, that just didn't grab me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

You take a spoon, you taste your sauce, you put the spoon aside to be washed. To do otherwise -- or, worse, stick your finger in there -- is basically a mortal sin in terms of health code violations. Cross-contamination should never, ever, ever happen in anything resembling a professional kitchen.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bonzo posted:

I really hope they do, the feasting on series was summarily excellent.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Failboattootoot posted:

I really hope they do, the feasting on series was summarily excellent.

Alton Brown being my mortal enemy aside he still pissed me off by going to a Russian place for lutefisk when he was in Minnesota.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Frot Lesnar posted:

Alton Brown being my mortal enemy aside he still pissed me off by going to a Russian place for lutefisk when he was in Minnesota.
Why is he your mortal enemy? Did his awesome alliteration ability awash you in shame? Did something not turn out golden brown and delicious? Was your patience not rewarded?

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why is he your mortal enemy? Did his awesome alliteration ability awash you in shame? Did something not turn out golden brown and delicious? Was your patience not rewarded?

He doesn't like Thomas Dolby? Multitaskers are too complicated for him? Lesbian chefs? Who knows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I will defend Spam until the end of time dammit. I find that most people who hate it have never really eaten it. Or had it maybe once or something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Stuff
Posing
As
Meat

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Stuff
Posing
As
Meat

You're going to be hurt. We're going to hurt you, and make you say you're sorry for having the wrong opinion.

I'm meh about FOA. I'd be cool with having them bring it back, though, because I don't have a problem with Alton as a TV personality at all. I just like taking potshots.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I called him out on twitter and he sent his thugs after me.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I've only caught a couple episodes of either FoA or the FoW but what I've seen was decent stuff---wish they'd at least go about reruns more intelligently. Shoot, these last 2 randomly aired Food Planet specials are like 10 years old and were new to me.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

They don't show it anymore but my favorite Food Network special challenge thing was the Cowboy Cookoff narrated by Trace Adkins.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Frot Lesnar posted:

I called him out on twitter and he sent his thugs after me.

You weren't the proud owner of the @altonbrownsucks twitter were you?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

You weren't the proud owner of the @altonbrownsucks twitter were you?

I think I said this before but when he was acting smug on Next ICA I pointed out how he couldn't even recognize a daikon radish on the first episode. He RT'd me and his followers attacked me for lack of a better term.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Fried Spam (or Klik, the mysterious Canadian version) and eggs is a delicious campfire breakfast. It also really really really seasons your cast iron.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Frot Lesnar posted:

I think I said this before but when he was acting smug on Next ICA I pointed out how he couldn't even recognize a daikon radish on the first episode. He RT'd me and his followers attacked me for lack of a better term.

You're my hero :allears:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone that watches Food Network Canada seen the commercials with Chef Massimo Capra promoting some line of frozen pizzas?

The commercial is weird for a couple of reasons. First, because Massimo looks like he has dropped over a 100 lbs since I've last saw him on tv, but also because Massimo used to be one of the most anal-retentive chefs when it came to using fresh ingredients. I remember his appearances on Restaurant Makeover where he would just tear into the cooks he was working with whenever they used canned or frozen meats and vegetables and would personally take them to a local farmer's market to get new stuff instead.

It just seems wrong for him to be shilling lovely frozen cardboard pizzas.

I wonder if something happened to him health wise and he needed some quick money.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vakal posted:

Has anyone that watches Food Network Canada seen the commercials with Chef Massimo Capra promoting some line of frozen pizzas?

The commercial is weird for a couple of reasons. First, because Massimo looks like he has dropped over a 100 lbs since I've last saw him on tv, but also because Massimo used to be one of the most anal-retentive chefs when it came to using fresh ingredients. I remember his appearances on Restaurant Makeover where he would just tear into the cooks he was working with whenever they used canned or frozen meats and vegetables and would personally take them to a local farmer's market to get new stuff instead.

It just seems wrong for him to be shilling lovely frozen cardboard pizzas.

I wonder if something happened to him health wise and he needed some quick money.

Yeah I've seen that too and was surprised, however it just seems like another in a long line of FNCanada hosts selling out (like Anna Olsen promoting loving Splenda and David Adjey's creepy commercials promoting something that isn't cocaine, which is the only thing he's qualified to sell).

The restaurant is doing okay AFAIK though - we were there for our anniversary last summer and it was packed, and still Massimo made sure to come to every table to chat with everyone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Shocker, Marcus Samuelson wins his round of Chopped Champions.

So it'll be Symon vs. Samuelson in the final 2 unless they seriously gently caress up. That's as it should be.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I've seen that too and was surprised, however it just seems like another in a long line of FNCanada hosts selling out (like Anna Olsen promoting loving Splenda and David Adjey's creepy commercials promoting something that isn't cocaine, which is the only thing he's qualified to sell).

The restaurant is doing okay AFAIK though - we were there for our anniversary last summer and it was packed, and still Massimo made sure to come to every table to chat with everyone.

Is Adjey the one who told that guy who was goofing around "I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND YOUR BUDDY OR YOUR BITCH"?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Shocker, Marcus Samuelson wins his round of Chopped Champions.

So it'll be Symon vs. Samuelson in the final 2 unless they seriously gently caress up. That's as it should be.

I'm kinda coming around on Alex, but yeah- I expected Marcus to win that one.

I found the fawning at the beginning of that episode to be a little ridiculous. Eh, whatever.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I found the fawning at the beginning of that episode to be a little ridiculous. Eh, whatever.

The judges doing the fawning knew they might end up in the other side of the counter at some point. Marcus absolutely tore up that kitchen, his stuff looked fantastic. Alex had a lot of attitude to back up, and she made a very close second to Marcus. This was easily the best cooking of the all stars episodes so far.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

If Marcus can cook the way he did last night, Michael Symon is gonna have his work cut out for him.

I want to like Alex but... I just can't. Something about her attitude just rubs me the wrong way. She cooks fantastically but I just feel like she's absolutely insufferable to be around.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

She's married to a personal injury lawyer and those people are usually horrible to be around.

It seems like she only has the job because she's been to cooking school and lives in the same city as the Food Network studios. It's cheaper to have her come in since they don't have to pay for travel or lodging.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

So Food Network just doesn't want him to do anything anymore, huh?

I kind of figured that if there wasn't going to be more Feasting on Asphalt, it'd be his decision, not FN deciding they didn't want it. So no more Feasting on Asphalt, no more Good Eats... He's the only person on the network worth a drat and he's being used as the equivalent of a game show host.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

He's the only person on the network worth a drat and he's being used as the equivalent of a game show host.

It's really sad to see the way they'll use people who are actually talented or at least knowledgeable. I'm realizing that the last time I watched Food Network and actually saw a cooking show that wasn't a competition in some way was ages ago- you have to watch in the morning if you want to learn things.

I enjoy the competition stuff, obviously, but it definitely does seem to be a real waste when it comes to people who have something unique to put out there. You'd think that FN would want to be more like Travel Channel in some respects, but nah. Maybe they do well enough as is so they don't need to try much else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

It's really sad to see the way they'll use people who are actually talented or at least knowledgeable. I'm realizing that the last time I watched Food Network and actually saw a cooking show that wasn't a competition in some way was ages ago- you have to watch in the morning if you want to learn things.

Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef is pretty good, and they at least show that in the afternoons.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

The learning part is questionable though. I don't come away with any knowledge or desire to cook when I watch almost any of the cooking shows they have on there. Guy's Big Bite? Aarti Party? Semi-Homemade? 30 Minute Meals? I could keep going, but I just get annoyed by the personalities, and I don't feel like I'm being taught, and the food looks terrible and I have no desire to try making it or to use the ingredients they're using.

Their cooking shows are more like performance pieces where they're just going "LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO!" framed in a story for why they're making that garbage on today's episode ("My gay friends are coming over for a dog fashion show!") and I just. Don't. Care.

Timby posted:

Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef is pretty good, and they at least show that in the afternoons.

It's Anne Burrell, so the idea that it is good is incorrect. I throw up in my mouth every time she refers to herself as a "happy girl." You are not a happy girl, Anne. You are a rotund beastly creature that grates on my every nerve.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 30, 2012

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I guess it depends upon the chef. I'm still an abysmal cook and will remain so, but I at least have an understanding of what's supposed to happen and I'd pick up stuff from watching Emeril or Molto Mario or whatever.

No, I did not learn anything from 30 Min Meals, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It comes down to what your tastes are or what your kitchen looks like, probably. I'd probably eat anything Guy cooked but I'll never cook it because everything he makes involves 100 ingredients thrown together at break neck speed. Even if I could follow it it would cost me a fortune to do. That's the problem with a lot of those shows, they're simply impractical. Unless you have a gourmet kitchen, unlimited resources, and hours to kill you're just watching. Many of those shows are just professionals cooking like professionals.

But I think some of them get more down to earth. The southern black couple and a lot of the younger women (I'm terrible with names and I'm always half watching, sorry) all seem to make things that aren't too complicated or expensive to try. They don't always catch my interest but every once and awhile I'll see something I'll try or adapt to one of my own recipes (for lack of a better word).

A lot of my disconnect with the criticism people lobby at Food Network is probably that I almost always watch it before 1 or 2 PM. Getting ready for work, tooling around, whatever. I never even bother turning it on in the evening because I know all I'll find is cupcake competitions and weird reality shows. But of course, that's the problem.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Oh man, I forgot that part.

I really wonder if the original Iron Chef had that much hand-holding. It really didn't feel like it, but it might have just been better edited (and also didn't have a behind-the-scenes special revealing how everyone was a big pussy). At the very least, the handling and preparation of ingredients was definitely more hardcore.

Sorry to dig this post up from December. In 2000 I was in Tokyo and went to Masahiko Kobe's relatively new restaurant that he opened just after Iron Chef had stopped being made. It was a small place and the food was loving fantastic (some of my friends weren't too happy with some of the exotic ingredients) and Kobe was nice enough to come out and chat with us for a while. I asked a few questions about Iron Chef and yeah he claimed that it was pretty much the hardest thing he's ever done. He did say the 3 possible ingredient thing was true but until it was revealed, none of the chefs knew which one it was going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Was Trisha Yearwood always that fat?

PS: It offends me having to post this in a Food Network thread.

PPS: I realize it's hypocritical that I'm letting this but not the prior Lisa Loeb show bother me. But I have been in love with her since "Stay" debuted.

• Locked thread