Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

keyframe posted:

I am definitely getting the OM-D but not before they fix the problems with the camera. Apparently it makes a constant loud fan sound when you turn it on. You can hear it clearly in the Steve Huff review. People also say the buttons feel really cheap but I will have to see that for myself.

I've heard (from other reviews) that the sound is only noticeable if the room you're in is completely quiet and you don't hear it when taking video. The sound is caused by the image stabilization. It's not a deal-breaker for me, though it is weird.

A friend has committed to buying my E-P3 but only "when he has money", argh. I want an OM-D E-M5 nooooow. And I'm feeling more comfortable with parting with the 20mm for the 25mm as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
still loving my x100, had it since day of release. the constant firmware updates are really quite good.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah I'm sick of all the shortcomings NEX-5 and I'm making arrangements to buy an x100 within a few days.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I just got to play with a friends x pro 1 and I have nothing good to say. It feels super cheap and plastic unlike how solid x100 feels. Autofocus still hunts like a motherfucker in non perfect lighting conditions, God help you if you are trying to autofocus with the fuji in the dark. The back buttons are a huge improvement over the x100 though and I hope they put those in the next iteration of x100. Overall using it in person cured me from any desire to buy it. It is not worth the price they are asking for it.

--

In other news it is getting REALLY hard to resist buying a drat OM-D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J-wnypCNFhk!

This is why in body IS should be standard on every drat camera :colbert:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think that video speaks more to how well the Olympus autofocuses compared to the Fuji. Seriously, that's impressive stuff.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

In other news it is getting REALLY hard to resist buying a drat OM-D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J-wnypCNFhk!

This is why in body IS should be standard on every drat camera :colbert:

It really does look awesome. I wish the evf was more like the sony nex7 though.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Random Task posted:

No, it's not. The 17 is generally considered to be the single weakest lens offered for the system. Which goes to show two things:
* The Olympus is nice ;)
* The photographer matters more than the tool :)

Honestly I think the 17mm is perfectly fine for what it is. Sure, optically it's inferior to the panasonic 20mm, but for a cheap little snapshot lens it's hard to lose sleep over corner sharpness or a little vignetting.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This thread is now officially a dance party:

http://www.nexproshop.com/

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just got a super cheap brand new C3 from eBay (the one I posted a couple of weeks ago) plus a number of manual focus, non stabilized lenses. What can one say? Wow. This is going to be incredibly fun.

Great picture quality all around and the manual focus is easier than I thought. Seriously, whoever invented the focus peak thing should get a fat pay raise. I'm already faster than my point-and-shoot af, although I did use mf extensively in the 80s-90s.

Happy as a pig in the mud here. ^_^ on to shooting some serious pics today.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Augmented Dickey posted:

Honestly I think the 17mm is perfectly fine for what it is. Sure, optically it's inferior to the panasonic 20mm, but for a cheap little snapshot lens it's hard to lose sleep over corner sharpness or a little vignetting.

Agreed, the 17mm owns. If you say differently you are a big time pixel peeper. It has a bad rep only because the Panasonic 20mm exists, but just cos there's something radder doesn't mean it's not rad. If you have the choice between the two of course you'd choose the 20mm, but the 17mm isn't even close to being a "weak" lens. I used it very happily for 2 years as my main lens on my main camera.

I put together a few vids from the OM-D but haven't uploaded them, not sure I will bother as there are now much better samples out there (some posted just above). There is still definitely some jelly/jitteryness, but you have to push the camera much harder to see it than you do with the Pen series. Most noticable are the leaning verticals in fast pans, but for any slow moving stuff it's pretty insane just how smooth things look thanks to the IBIS.

I played with an X Pro again for the first time since my OM-D arrived... Thing feels more clunky than ever.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On a side note, I lost my mind and canceled the E-M5 order and bought an X100 instead. Realized I have two SLRs and a ton of lenses and was already looking at three expensive primes for the E-M5 when the whole idea was to pick up something smaller and more likely to be with me at all times than my current cameras. A body with 12-50, then a set of primes, and I have what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

I don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the OM-D then get a pancake on it? Then you've got a camera just like the X100 when you leave the other lenses at home, but much more versatile when you have room in your bag for lenses.

It really can't be overstated just how compact the m4/3 system is. I got sick of carrying spare lenses when I was using DSLRs (and I was on the 4/3 system which is smaller than most) so I would typically go out with nothing but a lens on the body, or MAYBE one more in my bag. With m4/3 I usually take 3 other lenses in my bag and it feels about the same size/weight, and one of those is the huge Panasonic 7-14mm.

EDIT: Oh and the OM-D fan noise is a huge non issue. You can only hear it in a silent room or if you put it up to your ear while outside in relative quiet. Disconcerting at first, for sure, as I've never heard a camera do that, but it doesn't affect camera operation in the slightest.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 25, 2012

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

This thread is now officially a dance party:

http://www.nexproshop.com/
Be still my heart!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the OM-D then get a pancake on it? Then you've got a camera just like the X100 when you leave the other lenses at home, but much more versatile when you have room in your bag for lenses.

Sure, but what I shoot "seriously" is mainly wildlife and landscapes with the occasional outing to some motorsports and stuff, and I have a rather complete Canon EF mount setup for that (7D, 500/4L, 1Ds II, Zeiss ZE etc), so wanted something nice and light to be my little buddy when I wasn't carrying gear for a specific purpose. So I really didn't need another system with several lenses (nor do I want to replicate what I already have except in a smaller format), and without several lenses I would end up with all the cons of the 4/3 format and really none of the advantages. I got a bit carried away with the E-M5 since it looks pretty awesome and it wasn't until I started looking a little more closely at what exactly I needed that I started thinking that sexy as it is it may not be the best fit. If I could replace my Canon gear with m4/3 then it would be a different story, but I don't think that is quite doable.

That, and after having shot some with EVF cameras recently I started to feel that it wasn't really what I wanted, even the G3 and NEX ones felt inferior to what I was used to from the SLRs.

Have just done some light testing with the X100 so far but man, once setup the way I wanted it, it was not far removed from shooting with my M3. Turned off everything I didn't want, using the OVF (with DOF line and histogram), no image review, JPEG in Astia mode. ND filter on/off on RAW button, ISO on Fn button. Just shoot through that great finder and see what I end up with when I get home. I like.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 25, 2012

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That, and after having shot some with EVF cameras recently I started to feel that it wasn't really what I wanted, even the G3 and NEX ones felt inferior to what I was used to from the SLRs.

Have just done some light testing with the X100 so far but man, once setup the way I wanted it, it was not far removed from shooting with my M3. Turned off everything I didn't want, using the OVF (with DOF line and histogram), no image review, JPEG in Astia mode. ND filter on/off on RAW button, ISO on Fn button. Just shoot through that great finder and see what I end up with when I get home. I like.

There are a few other things that make the X100 my favorite thing. One is the skin tone, the X100 just gets skin tones and colors (excepting bright reds) "right" for me. The auto white balance is spot on 99% of the time and the exposure compensation dial is amazingly handy (stick a #7 O-ring on it to stiffen it up).

Be sure and turn the corrected AF Frame to on, it isn't by default. I also like the AE/AF Lock Mode in "Switch" mode and the AE/AF-Lock Button set to "Lock", this makes it handy for focus and recomposing.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Sure, but what I shoot "seriously" is mainly wildlife and landscapes with the occasional outing to some motorsports and stuff, and I have a rather complete Canon EF mount setup for that (7D, 500/4L, 1Ds II, Zeiss ZE etc), so wanted something nice and light to be my little buddy when I wasn't carrying gear for a specific purpose. So I really didn't need another system with several lenses (nor do I want to replicate what I already have except in a smaller format), and without several lenses I would end up with all the cons of the 4/3 format and really none of the advantages. I got a bit carried away with the E-M5 since it looks pretty awesome and it wasn't until I started looking a little more closely at what exactly I needed that I started thinking that sexy as it is it may not be the best fit. If I could replace my Canon gear with m4/3 then it would be a different story, but I don't think that is quite doable.

Fair enough.

Enjoy the X100!

The top two features I wish the OM-D had are the NEX's focus peaking and the X100's ND filter.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Can someone with the E-M5 comment on the live bulb mode? Is it as amazing as it sounds? Seems like it would be nearly the best thing ever for night photography.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
I have an E-PM1 on the way. It's my first "serious" camera. I've always wanted to step up from P&S, but didn't want to lug a DSLR, and now m43/mirrorless is becoming a great option. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait.

Mine will come with the 14-42mm kit lens. I would love a pancake too, but can't spend $2-300+ on additional lenses at the moment. I see some people having great success using adapters and old lenses though for like $50. Can someone give (or link to) a quick primer on what to get in that regard? Just a couple cheap options to play around with.

Something simple like "Get an XYZ adaptor, and you can use Manufacturer P-mount lenses. Get a Xmm for indoor/low-light, and a Ymm for landscapes."

I can then search eBay, amazon, etc for some deals. I live in NYC, so I plan to stop by B&H and Adorama at some point too.

Thanks!

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 26, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

SupahCoolX posted:

I have an E-PM1 on the way. It's my first "serious" camera. I've always wanted to step up from P&S, but didn't want to lug a DSLR, and now m43/mirrorless is becoming a great option. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait.

Mine will come with the 14-42mm kit lens. I would love a pancake too, but can't spend $2-300+ on additional lenses at the moment. I see some people having great success using adapters and old lenses though for like $50. Can someone give (or link to) a quick primer on what to get in that regard? Just a couple cheap options to play around with.

Something simple like "Get an XYZ adaptor, and you can use Manufacturer P-mount lenses. Get a Xmm for indoor/low-light, and a Ymm for landscapes."

I can then search eBay, amazon, etc for some deals. I live in NYC, so I plan to stop by B&H and Adorama at some point too.

Thanks!

For low light/portraits, I'd recommend and Olympus OM or Nikon F adapter, plus a corresponding 50mm f/1.8 lens to match it. Shouldn't run you more than $50 total.

Put even more simply, get this plus this and you will be set for inexpensive low light fun.

For landscapes I would just stick with the kit 14-42 lens for now- you aren't going to find any wide angle lenses that will really outperform until you get into the $500+ range.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 26, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

For low light/portraits, I'd recommend and Olympus OM or Nikon F adapter, plus a corresponding 50mm f/1.8 lens to match it. Shouldn't run you more than $50 total.

For landscapes I would just stick with the kit 14-42 lens for now- you aren't going to find any wide angle lenses that will really outperform until you get into the $500+ range.
Awesome, thanks! (Edit: and double thanks for the links you added in!)

I tossed out low light and landscapes as examples. Anything else that might be handy, cool, or not otherwise covered? Macro or zoom (or will the kit be ok)?

Edit: Wow, just found a local deal for an OM/m43 adapter, that same 50mm lens, a 35mm/2.8, a 75-150mm, and an 80-200mm all for $85. Hopefully it comes through! That would give me plenty to play and experiment with, without breaking the bank.

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 26, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

SupahCoolX posted:

Awesome, thanks! (Edit: and double thanks for the links you added in!)

I tossed out low light and landscapes as examples. Anything else that might be handy, cool, or not otherwise covered? Macro or zoom (or will the kit be ok)?

You can though in a cheap extension tube set if you want to experiment with macro inexpensively.

Olympus also makes a relatively cheap macro adapter for their kit lenses. Reviews are scarce but I have a $50 amazon gift card and would love something that would let me shoot insects with my 40-150.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

You can get the 14mm f2.8 on eBay for $200 (I believe it came from a camera+lens bundle though)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ghumbs posted:

Can someone with the E-M5 comment on the live bulb mode? Is it as amazing as it sounds? Seems like it would be nearly the best thing ever for night photography.

What is the live bulb mode and what does it do?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

keyframe posted:

What is the live bulb mode and what does it do?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it allows you to manually take long exposures and monitor it's "progress" using the LCD.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Ghumbs posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it allows you to manually take long exposures and monitor it's "progress" using the LCD.

No that's pretty much exactly what it does. Pretty useful. I wonder if there are any drawbacks to it, like more noise, light leaks or anything else for that matter.

Anyway, here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msNNzPshGlQ

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

No that's pretty much exactly what it does. Pretty useful. I wonder if there are any drawbacks to it, like more noise, light leaks or anything else for that matter.

Anyway, here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msNNzPshGlQ

Thanks for the link. It's every bit as cool as I'd hoped. It's really the only thing about the camera that entices me to upgrade from my GF1. I mean, I love almost everything about the OM-D, but that's the only feature that I feel would make a substantial difference for me.

e: because I like shooting in the dark :ninja:

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 26, 2012

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
The Live Bulb is cool but has some limitations. You have to dig into the menus a bit and set how often you want the "ticks", and it has a chart showing the maximum number of ticks depending on your ISO.

You can have ticks set to 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, 15s, 30s or 60s.

Maximum ticks:

ISO 200 ~ 24 times
ISO 400 ~ 19 times
ISO 800 ~ 14 times
ISO 1600  9 times

It's definitely neat but I have yet to be in a situation where it helped me get a photo I couldn't otherwise. I plan to use it for some urbex where I need to paint a scene in with torchlight, but I haven't had the chance yet.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I played around a bit with the OM-D/EM-5 today. I was kind of disappointed with the feel of it overall. It's really light and cheap feeling compared to my ep-2. I know it is a tougher camera with the weather sealing and all but I guess I was expecting it to be more like my OM-1 and OM-4. It's also much smaller than the real OM cameras. It looks like an EP-3 with a viewfinder stuck on it. I couldn't get a comfortable hold on it. I would definitely have to get the battery grip if I got one. I'm sure I'd overcome the look/feel of it if I had one but my desire for it has been safely quenched for now. My wallet can rest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

VomitOnLino posted:

I wonder if there are any drawbacks to it, like more noise, light leaks or anything else for that matter.

It's not a 5DMK3.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

I couldn't get a comfortable hold on it. I would definitely have to get the battery grip if I got one. I'm sure I'd overcome the look/feel of it if I had one but my desire for it has been safely quenched for now. My wallet can rest.

That's probably the one thing that was giving me pause. The thing seems so crazy thin that it wouldn't be comfortable to hold.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I keep seeing used x100's for sale for $850-ish with a few accessories like a case and extra batteries, sometimes in warranty sometimes out of warranty. I found a legit shop that's clearing out their x100 stock and I got the guy down to $1k out the door for a brand new one.

Is it worth saving a few hundred and getting a used one or with so many quirks like the sticky aperture blades affecting some models would you guys rather spend the extra and get a brand new one so I get the full warranty length?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

I keep seeing used x100's for sale for $850-ish with a few accessories like a case and extra batteries, sometimes in warranty sometimes out of warranty. I found a legit shop that's clearing out their x100 stock and I got the guy down to $1k out the door for a brand new one.

Is it worth saving a few hundred and getting a used one or with so many quirks like the sticky aperture blades affecting some models would you guys rather spend the extra and get a brand new one so I get the full warranty length?

For me it was worth paying full price for a new one with the warranty. My second (out of 3) X100s was an older model, and aside from the increased possibility of the sticky aperture blades it had more mechanical issues (an excessively noisy focusing motor and the exposure dial wasn't as tight as it was on the newer ones I had). I had really, really lovely luck though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

Difficult to say, but doesnt fuji fix the camera for free if it has the sticky blades?

I ended up selling mine for 850ish too, it was in perfect shape and never had any problems.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Fuji is a stickler for the warranty being non-transferable. In some other forums users complained about Fuji not repairing their X100 because they bought it used even though at that time all X100s were less than a year old so they were covered under the warranty.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Fuji has been fixing them for free but I don't know where they stand if you encounter sticky blades out of warranty. I'm out of warranty in ~22 days. Mine is a 12A0-something and the only problem I've encountered is the little screen that slides up in the viewfinder that the EVF gets projected onto got stuck halfway up last Sunday. A good smack on top of the camera fixed it and it hasn't reoccurred since.

I'd buy a new one in-warranty personally. If used, I'd ask to check the serials to see if there are any 11's.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is 42nd St. Photo one of those sketchy shops that cancels your order unless they can upsell you a bunch of other crap when you put in your order?

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-106193-k-fuji_x100_123_megapixel_digital_camera.htm

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is 42nd St. Photo one of those sketchy shops that cancels your order unless they can upsell you a bunch of other crap when you put in your order?

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-106193-k-fuji_x100_123_megapixel_digital_camera.htm

Yep.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Uncle Ivan posted:

Yep.

I figured that. Although it's such a good price, it might be worth it to see what they try and make you buy after. If it's some memory cards, it might be a good deal still.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Stopped at the store on the way home to play with a Sigma 30/2.8 for NEX, was smaller than I expected from comparison shots with the kit zoom and 16mm. AF felt snappier than the zoom, and the focus ring was nice (for focus-by-wire anyway).

I was hoping there would be something significantly wrong with it so I wouldn't want to buy one already :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ok gently caress it. I hope the OM-D will be more available come september because I'm pretty dead set on getting one.

With the 12-50 for starters.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

With the 12-50 for starters.

I've heard the 12-50 is awesome if you want macro (or super solid weather resistance), but if not the other lens choices are probably a better idea.

Depending on how things go this summer, I might get one to play with and compare against my nex5n. I love the 5n, but I think I'd prefer a camera with better pancake choices. It's small enough to carry in my day bag(s) with the Sigma 30, but still bigger than I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmm well it's either the 12-50 or the 14-42.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 26, 2012