Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know you guys are all excited about this but I still remember that around the time the GC Smash brothers came out, everyone wanted to make their own game in that style, and they were mostly awful and immediately forgotten.

Those guys sucked at it though. :colbert: Can't we dare to dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Sony just doesn't have the same roster of characters to make it nearly as appealing. They've got like 8 signature characters at best and very few of them fit together thematically/stylistically. Cramming a bunch of Killzone and Resistance nobodies in there to pad out the roster is just gonna make it more schizophrenic.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OneDeadman posted:

I would pay good money if at the beginning of each battle with a Yakuza character it did the Yakuza battle callout intro.

But that also infers that we're getting Yakuza Characters.
code:
Kiryu Kazuma
VERSUS
Kevin Butler
-1st Chairman of Greatness-

This is the best possible battle. And if Butler wins, I want a cinematic of him kicking Daigo out of the clan office. :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Random Stranger posted:

The idea makes me yawn as well. Setting aside the "Will it be a good game bit" right now the only hook to talk about is which Sony properties would be in a game and it has occurred to me that I don't care about any of them. Even with the games I like I can't work up any interest in if their main character would be placed in a cross over game.
Eh, I don't think it's the characters anyone is getting super excited over, it's more just that brawler-style fighters are rare, and there still hasn't been a single one with solid online play.

That's the only point worth getting excited about - there maybe finally being a online Powerstone-like experience on the PS3.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Sony just doesn't have the same roster of characters to make it nearly as appealing. They've got like 8 signature characters at best and very few of them fit together thematically/stylistically. Cramming a bunch of Killzone and Resistance nobodies in there to pad out the roster is just gonna make it more schizophrenic.

They don't have to fit together thematically or stylistically that's the point.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hell, I'd kill for a brand new Powerstone sequel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of which, what I played of Anarchy Reigns was a gloriously violent clusterfuck, it's a shame no one's going to play it because Sega has yet to tell anyone it exists even though it's made by Platinum, is basically MadWorld 2 (same story, Jack/Baron/Matilda are in it) and if you pre-order you get to play as Bayonetta.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I don't think it will be an issue since Sony has a better roster of known characters to pick and choose from for their game than Nintendo do with the Smash Bros titles. I mean really, look at all the obscure characters Nintendo had to use just to pad out the numbers. Besides, nothing in Smash Bros fits together thematically or stylistically either so why should Sony have to worry about that? The only concern will be whether the gameplay holds up at the end of the day.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I actually like that about Smash Bros, that they dig deep for some very bizarre and obscure characters. It gives the franchise more of a feel that it's like Nintendo characters across their history coming together to fight. Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and (at the time) Pit may not have been hip, popular characters but there was a sense of myth behind it. These strange, forgotten characters standing next to relevant ones like Mario and Donkey Kong.

I'd love to see that sort of thing in Sony Smash but I doubt it'll happen. What would be really interesting is to see a half-and-half of 1st and 3rd party characters across PlayStation's history. The 3rd party is largely responsible for getting the PS1 off the ground to begin with, and it'd be awesome to see first gen Sony characters like Polygon Man and Crash Bandicoot throwing down against Cloud Strife and Kazuya Mishima.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sony has enough human characters that they actually would hold together thematically. Do they ever leverage that in the games themselves? Like do they have skins for Kratos/Nathan Drake/whoever that you can download for Killzone or something? It was amusing that they had Kratos in Modnation Racers as an example.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Sony has enough human characters that they actually would hold together thematically. Do they ever leverage that in the games themselves? Like do they have skins for Kratos/Nathan Drake/whoever that you can download for Killzone or something? It was amusing that they had Kratos in Modnation Racers as an example.

Yeah they do spread their characters around different games. Uncharted had Killzone/Resistance/Infamous characters for example, Kratos was in Mortal Kombat and Modnation Racers, they had a Metal Gear Solid expansion for Little Big Planet, Cole from Infamous in in Street Fighter X Tekken.

Sony has plenty of non-human characters that would hold together thematically too though. I mean look at Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sackboy, Fat Princess etc. They have a gigantic pool that they can pull from.

Policenaut posted:

What would be really interesting is to see a half-and-half of 1st and 3rd party characters across PlayStation's history. The 3rd party is largely responsible for getting the PS1 off the ground to begin with, and it'd be awesome to see first gen Sony characters like Polygon Man and Crash Bandicoot throwing down against Cloud Strife and Kazuya Mishima.

I wouldn't be surprised if they included some third party characters. I mean Solid Snake was in Smash Bros but it was Sony who gave Kojima success with the franchise so I'd imagine we'll see him in the game (although I think Raiden would be cooler, and a nice promotion for MGS Rising).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

I'd love to see that sort of thing in Sony Smash

Can't wait to kick rear end with Rubber Ducky.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think it could work but they would definitely have to come up with some interesting environments.

Killzone, Uncharted, and Resistance all have pretty much war-torn environments of different aesthetics.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Good news!

quote:

Bandai Namco announced its PS Move puzzle game Dancing Eyes has been cancelled, it is a puzzle game in which you move a monkey across the girl's body to strip off her clothing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For the Sony Smash Bros. game, bring back Robbit from Jumping Flash and that loving horrifying robot baby from the early PS3 commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

I would pay good money to be able to beat up that robot baby

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Surlaw posted:

Good news!

Now what will fulfill my Puzzleing Virtual Monkey Stripping needs?

Seriously though, what the gently caress?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

OneDeadman posted:

Now what will fulfill my Puzzleing Virtual Monkey Stripping needs?

Seriously though, what the gently caress?
It was a Qix clone and Qix is always good, but thankfully PS3 owners can just buy Cubixx HD and have a better game with far less sexual abuse!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bandai Namco is on this weird kick where they're remaking any and all of their old 1980s arcade franchises because it's the hip thing to do. Dancing Eyes was one of those old games.

Pablo Gigante posted:

For the Sony Smash Bros. game, bring back Robbit from Jumping Flash and that loving horrifying robot baby from the early PS3 commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

I would pay good money to be able to beat up that robot baby

Hahaha oh wow, there's your Master Hand for Sony Smash

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Hahaha oh wow, there's your Master Hand for Sony Smash

Came here to post this exact thing, also if they include MGS stuff beating up a Metal Gear would be kinda neato

e. Also I'm liking DMC1 more and more. I was having problems with the spider boss of level 3 until I stopped being all sneaky and strategic about it, turned on devil trigger mode and just hacked the poo poo out of his face :black101:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 26, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should go really, really far back in time and put in Jerry Boy from Smart Ball and Shadax from Solstice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
DMChat: Is Phantom the name of that black/purple thing that comes out of the lion statue when you smack it around because jesus I can see why you'd warn me badcrumble. :stare:

I got it, but drat, that was brutal.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

DMChat: Is Phantom the name of that black/purple thing that comes out of the lion statue when you smack it around because jesus I can see why you'd warn me badcrumble. :stare:

I got it, but drat, that was brutal.

Phantom is the spider. I think you are talking about Shadows, which are regular enemies that look like wolves or dogs or something.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

blackguy32 posted:

Phantom is the spider. I think you are talking about Shadows, which are regular enemies that look like wolves or dogs or something.

Those things are regular enemies? :psyduck:

I'm getting wrecked by the one at the start of this mission the one to take the melancholy soul where it belongs after the demon knight guy battle. Its like every time I hit it, it skewers me automatically with those little purple crystals, like I can't avoid that or something [or maybe I just suck I dunno]

Going into devil trigger mode and attacking it exposes that orb thing after a few whacks, but no matter what, no matter how much I hit that, it goes back into dog/wolf form only red, then it does that thing where it eats me and I die. :mad:

Phantom was a pain until I went berserker mode on him though, its true

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

They're fairly rare but yeah. Wait until you fight them a couple at a time.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
First GametrailersTV, now IGN says that they have "a major, unannounced PS3 exclusive" game to reveal at midnight Friday.

It would be nice if IGN showed off a different game than what GTTV is showing, but I'm guessing it's the same game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I'm getting wrecked by the one at the start of this mission the one to take the melancholy soul where it belongs after the demon knight guy battle. Its like every time I hit it, it skewers me automatically with those little purple crystals, like I can't avoid that or something [or maybe I just suck I dunno]

Going into devil trigger mode and attacking it exposes that orb thing after a few whacks, but no matter what, no matter how much I hit that, it goes back into dog/wolf form only red, then it does that thing where it eats me and I die. :mad:

Phantom was a pain until I went berserker mode on him though, its true

Use Ebony and Ivory on the Shadows until it exposes its orb, then whack away with your sword.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

blackguy32 posted:

Use Ebony and Ivory on the Shadows until it exposes its orb, then whack away with your sword.

That makes a lot of sense.

Samurai Sanders posted:

They're fairly rare but yeah. Wait until you fight them a couple at a time.

:ohdear:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So it's starting to look like most of the characters in The Walking Dead are stupid as poo poo. As in, even stupider than most zombie apocalypse survivors. Near the beginning of the game I blew this guy's head off and then when I selected to look at the body, my character timidly says, "Mister, are you OK?" :downs:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

...! posted:

So it's starting to look like most of the characters in The Walking Dead are stupid as poo poo. As in, even stupider than most zombie apocalypse survivors. Near the beginning of the game I blew this guy's head off and then when I selected to look at the body, my character timidly says, "Mister, are you OK?" :downs:

Keep playing. There isn't much more in that vein.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

...! posted:

Finally, a current generation version of this moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hrk7BBwvTQ

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In Super Smash Bros, it's rare for a character to have several costumes that use different polygon models. Only Wario has two distinct outfits.

Sony could use many different models for their characters, such as:

Solid Snake/Old Snake
Raiden/Ninja Raiden
Nathan Drake/Donut Drake
Kratos/Cod of War
Parappa/Lammy

It also lets them use more fighters, as long as they share similar body types to existing ones.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Was kinda thinking this "huge" ps3 announcement on IGN was Monster Hunter PS3. A fighting game seems more "meh" to me.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't think Monster Hunter rates like that.

edit: to be fair I don't think "a casual fighting game featuring all of your favorite Sony mascots!" does either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't think Monster Hunter rates like that.
Not in this part of the world anyway. Also, I'm not sure if a main-line, non-portable MH is even in the cards anymore. I mean, I would love it to be, but Japan clearly has this whole culture built up around going to your friend's place with your PSP for some monster hunting.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Really, Monster Hunter is not that popular. It's also not an exclusive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii, and honestly I don't get it. The game was pretty boring.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii, and honestly I don't get it. The game was pretty boring.

I played it for the PSP, and it seemed like it could have been fun, but I got sick of it because of the horrible control decision to have you move with the analogue sticks but control the camera with the pad. Since it's pretty much impossible to do both at the same time without holding the controller in the most unintuitive and uncomfortable position imaginable, I just gave up on it.

I really don't get why it's so hard for people to design decent control schemes for games, this one could have been found by simply letting someone play the game, and asking "can a normal human being play this game", and when finding out the answer is no, addressing the issue.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

This was my same exact experience on PSP. I tried it after all the hype and just couldn't get into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Like I said I really think it's a social phenomenon in Japan. I think it's a pretty good game but it's a system seller over there because of that whole culture built up around it. I have a friend who used to work for its producer and he said he was not expecting it to become Capcom's #1 franchise.

And yeah, I have no idea how people tolerate playing it without a right stick. I've only ever played the PS3 port so I don't know.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom doesn't want to acknowledge Monster Hunter exists overseas. They've willingly told fans that they "still have Dragon's Dogma" at trade shows. Abandon all hope, ye English speaker who enter here.

• Locked thread