Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

V for Vegans posted:

Why does everyone hate the Bruins? (Or just Boston sports teams in general) I've grown up in a Boston suburb and so I've been a Bruins fan my whole life, but recently people always seem to be like, any team but the Bruins should win the cup, or any team but the Patriots should win the super bowl (people don't have to worry about the sox winning anytime soon so no one complains about them). Is it just because the Bruins were raining champions and they wanted a new winner? Or is it that people hate how people in Massachusetts drive so much that they take it out on sports teams.

The haters gonna hate thing from before, plus this type of thing makes people unhappy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Grittybeard posted:

That, plus this type of thing makes people unhappy:

Yeah, that's mostly it. Boston has (almost) usurped New York as the most hated sports city due to how often their teams have won championships recently.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
it's ESPN and fans that have absolutely nothing to do with Boston clamoring all over themselves to prove how they were there a year ago and only remember that tall guy, Zdano Cherra, who wore goofy suits.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Ok, that makes sense. That is a pretty obnoxious title for an article though, guess it's ESPN playing off the hate. Also, the Patriots aren't actually a Boston team, they play an hour away from the city in Foxborough, but I guess Boston, being within the limits of New England can take that credit. I'm sorry I root for a winning team, but I've rooted for them since before the lockout, when the team would just pass and wait and pass and wait and pass and wait and never take any shots, I swear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

V for Vegans posted:

I'm sorry I root for a winning team, but I've rooted for them since before the lockout, when the team would just pass and wait and pass and wait and pass and wait and never take any shots, I swear.

This is still the case.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

This is still the case.

The Bruins have gotten better about this lately, rushing the net more and getting the dirtier goals instead of passing and waiting for the most pristine opportunity.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

V for Vegans posted:

Ok, that makes sense. That is a pretty obnoxious title for an article though, guess it's ESPN playing off the hate. Also, the Patriots aren't actually a Boston team, they play an hour away from the city in Foxborough, but I guess Boston, being within the limits of New England can take that credit. I'm sorry I root for a winning team, but I've rooted for them since before the lockout, when the team would just pass and wait and pass and wait and pass and wait and never take any shots, I swear.

Like they said, haters gonna hate. People will give you poo poo, but if your a real fan most people will back off or at least respect you a little. But god forbid a hater meets a bandwagoner from Boston.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

Why does everyone hate the Bruins? (Or just Boston sports teams in general) I've grown up in a Boston suburb and so I've been a Bruins fan my whole life, but recently people always seem to be like, any team but the Bruins should win the cup, or any team but the Patriots should win the super bowl (people don't have to worry about the sox winning anytime soon so no one complains about them). Is it just because the Bruins were raining champions and they wanted a new winner? Or is it that people hate how people in Massachusetts drive so much that they take it out on sports teams.

I was born in Montreal. It's genetic.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Boston fans are the worst, that's why. All fans are terrible, but Boston fans sit above the rest, looking down their noses at us. And then calling their buddy a queeah and throwing a beer at him, or something.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

there's like a plethora of ridiculous incidents specifically related to the bruins that would cause fans to hate them, though

like tootoo getting suspended because lucic plowed miller made my eyes roll out of my head and down the block

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the boston (at least hockey) media also has a special 8th circle of hell reserved for their unmitigated poo poo fountains that write "articles" and that can be obnoxious too

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't care about the Bruins at all until they gooned their way to a cup against my precious nuckies last year

...and then Thomas outing himself as a tea partier only added to it.

My city only has NHL/MLS/CFL and I'm sure Bostonians are better drivers than Vancouverites so all that stuff has nothing to do with it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 26, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Also the Bruins have Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley with his jokey, over-the-top Boston accent. (He's the one I'm thinking of, right?)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

New York state law mandates that I hate all Boston sports teams.

and I ain't no lawbreaker. :colbert:

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Verviticus posted:

the boston (at least hockey) media also has a special 8th circle of hell reserved for their unmitigated poo poo fountains that write "articles" and that can be obnoxious too
They are the worst.

myron cope posted:

Also the Bruins have Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley with his jokey, over-the-top Boston accent. (He's the one I'm thinking of, right?)
They are the best :swoon:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, something that occurred to me today. How do the second and third rounds work in the playoffs? Is it up to seven like the first? And the final, is that just the one game or do they play in both teams' places? Wait, that's in the OP now I'm looking, guess they're all done like that. Nice to see, more hockey to watch.

Thought of a question I didn't see answered in the OP though. Which award is generally seen as more desirable, the Stanley Cup or the Presidents Trophy? They both seem like great things to win, but is one considered harder to get than the other?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME
Stanley Cup is what every player is playing for

The Presidents Trophy is nice because it means you did well in the regular season but The Stanley Cup is the culmination of playing 82 regular season games just to make the playoffs, and then playing 3 rounds of best of 7 just to get to the finals in order to play for the Cup.

Easily more important and prestigious than the Presidents Trophy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

I have my own personal reasons for hating the Boston teams that have absolutely nothing to do with sports. Then again I'm also a Habs fan so I'd be lying if that didn't factor into the equation at least a little bit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

V for Vegans posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...fZQjT_blog.html

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I like the Broons. But Boston sports fans are bested only by Philadelphia sports fans in their douchiness.

It is also acceptable to like Flyers players, but you must hate the Flyers. This is the rule.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
i wish the president's trophy meant a bit more in the NHL. yeah, the stanley cup is the holy grail and it's awesome to win it and everything, but there's something to be said for being the best hockey club in the world over 82 games. i think it might actually be harder to win the president's trophy than the cup, seeing as one takes about 50 wins, and the other only 16.

what i'm trying to say is that there's a lot more randomness involved in winning the cup than the president's trophy. sample size and all that

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Lawnie posted:

i wish the president's trophy meant a bit more in the NHL. yeah, the stanley cup is the holy grail and it's awesome to win it and everything, but there's something to be said for being the best hockey club in the world over 82 games. i think it might actually be harder to win the president's trophy than the cup, seeing as one takes about 50 wins, and the other only 16.

what i'm trying to say is that there's a lot more randomness involved in winning the cup than the president's trophy. sample size and all that

Maybe you should look at the SE and NW divisions again

It would pretty much only mean something if everyone played each team the same amount of times.

Winning the cup would still be much harder.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 26, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lawnie posted:

The division system is why the President's Trophy doesn't get as much respect. Vancouver's division sucking is a big part of why they've won it twice (Not as big as the being a good team part, but big) and some teams get to play Toronto 6 times a year.

We have our very own racist Caps fan, does that mean we should all hate them?

(The answer is yes, but not for that reason.)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shyfted One posted:

Maybe you should look at the SE and NW divisions again

It would pretty much only mean something if everyone played each team the same amount of times.

Winning the cup would still be much harder.

I hadn't really thought about the divisional angle. Now if the Blues had won it, would it be more impressive? 4 teams in the central had over 100 points, and the Blues were only 2 points shy of tying Vancouver.

but you're probably right. it is tougher to win 16 games against playoff-quality competition than 50 when you get to play the flames, oilers, and wild 6 times per year.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Stanley Cup is the most prestigious award in sports. It's the hardest to win. You have to win three grueling best-of-seven series just to get the right to play for the Cup. Then you have to win another. This is after playing 82 games in the regular season.

I think the hitting and the shot blocking is what makes it difficult, physically.

The Presidents Trophy is relatively meaningless. You get some cash for it, that's cool. If you make it to the finals you automatically get home ice, so that's something. It's impressive, it looks nice in the record book (I suppose) and you get to hang up a banner, but nobody would rather win it than the Cup. Survey 10,000 players and every single one of them would elect to never win another regular season game if it meant they could win the Cup a few times (if that were, you know, possible)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

McDragon posted:

Thought of a question I didn't see answered in the OP though. Which award is generally seen as more desirable, the Stanley Cup or the Presidents Trophy? They both seem like great things to win, but is one considered harder to get than the other?

The only truly meaningful question is which is more desirable for a player: winning a Stanley Cup or winning an Olympic gold medal. There is some variation there, individual by individual. A majority would still favor the Cup though.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 26, 2012

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Zat posted:

The only truly meaningful question is which is more desirable for a player: winning a Stanley Cup or winning an Olympic gold medal. There is some variation there, individual by individual. A majority would still favor the Cup though.

I would have to go with the Stanley Cup, because the players are with that team for an entire season at least, usually a couple of years with the team, and so you bond more and it becomes more of a common goal and something you look forward to more. A gold medal is just something that you compete for every four years, and you're only with that team for a little over a month.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
For Europeans and especially Russians the choice is not so simple and might actually be a gold medal.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've followed hockey since the late 90s but I still haven't fully understood the rules concerning the blue semi-circles that are in front of the net. Have they removed the rule that you couldn't stand inside them when you scored, because I see people do it all the time nowadays?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Star posted:

I've followed hockey since the late 90s but I still haven't fully understood the rules concerning the blue semi-circles that are in front of the net. Have they removed the rule that you couldn't stand inside them when you scored, because I see people do it all the time nowadays?

Yep.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Star posted:

Yeah. That thing is called the crease and you are allowed to score inside of it now, thanks in no small part to this stanley cup winning goal that made a lot of people very angry and, under the rules at the time, should not have counted.

The function of the crease now is basically "you can't gently caress with a goalie while he's standing in here or trying to get back into here." Or at least it's supposed to be. Goaltenders are generally not considered fair game no matter where they are and people are often penalized for intentional contact with goaltenders no matter where it is made.

e: Even if you're not penalized for it, making contact with another team's goalie intentionally usually means you will get your rear end kicked. People do not take kindly to players on other teams loving with their goalies.

a false fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 30, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

See also: Mike "ZOMG my face! Oh, he's been ejected? I'm all better" Smith. It is widely agreed that if Shaw had not been ejected for this hit, he would likely have been targeted by the other team for the rest of the series.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2012

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks

Dangerllama posted:

See also: Mike "ZOMG my face! Oh, he's been ejected? I'm all better" Smith. It is widely agreed that if Shaw had not been ejected for this hit, he would likely have been targeted by the other team for the rest of the series.
He started to get a little bit of this going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSMxJVqXn4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How does the KHL Entry Draft work?

Apparently they draft North American players, but like there's no chance Huberdeau goes over there except maybe at the end of his career. Do they keep those rights indefinitely or what?

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Dangerllama posted:

Shaw played in game 6 and none of the Coyotes really gave a poo poo.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aphrodite posted:

How does the KHL Entry Draft work?

Apparently they draft North American players, but like there's no chance Huberdeau goes over there except maybe at the end of his career. Do they keep those rights indefinitely or what?

since the KHL has only existed for a few years now and there's never been a situation where that has become relevant, i don't think anyone actually knows. it's probably written up in the KHL rules somewhere but i doubt anyone has read those (this includes the people running the KHL)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So who owns Crosby over there? :q:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I bet they are drafting Russian or European rights to that player. Meaning that if Crosby every decides to gently caress off to Russia (please do this), he'd have to negotiate with whomever "drafted" him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Overwined posted:

I bet they are drafting Russian or European rights to that player. Meaning that if Crosby every decides to gently caress off to Russia (please do this), he'd have to negotiate with whomever "drafted" him.

Come on now, the Pittsburgh doctors can't even treat him properly and you want him to go play on a team with Russian doctors? I know you hate Crosby as a Rangers fan but do you want him to actually die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Pfff, Russia, Crosby's going to go play for the team Jagr owns in the Czech Republic

• Locked thread