Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

People who don't say Dark Mode is difficult are insane or cheating, I'm just now halfway through the first town and everything kills me in 1 hit everything. Sure you supposedly get super equipment later but this is insanely hard, especially due to "oh some spiders in the forest, I'll wait a full 30 seconds before pulling my sword out while your clicking like mad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

People who don't say Dark Mode is difficult are insane or cheating, I'm just now halfway through the first town and everything kills me in 1 hit everything. Sure you supposedly get super equipment later but this is insanely hard, especially due to "oh some spiders in the forest, I'll wait a full 30 seconds before pulling my sword out while your clicking like mad"

I'm glad to see you say this, only because I had a tough time at the beginning of Chapter 1 as well. It's my second playthrough, but I hadn't really played since right when the 2.0 patch came out, so I had to relearn stuff on the fly, picking up my Dark Mode save just after the prologue (didn't wanna play through that again).

I'm going to echo what I've read here and has really helped me a lot (just started Chapter 2, and a fight I was dreading - Letho - actually was incredibly easy, and that's after I gave up on the dark mode armor set in the first chapter). Use everything you have available to you... Prepare by downing some potions before going out on a quest, craft and use bombs (or traps if that's your thing), dodge like a maniac, don't try to take on a big group of enemies at once - draw them into more isolated positions. Once you have a better feel for the combat, and you get some cool skills, it'll get a little easier. I started to feel that way towards the end of the first chapter, and haven't had any issues in the second yet. There are still some things I'm not really looking forward to coming up, but hope they turn out like the thing I was dreading most in chapter one.

Edit: Oh, and quen isn't as good as it was, but it's still good, and mess around with the other signs and find cool/fun ways to use them.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 27, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Never walk around in the forest without your sword drawn. Never.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Flumpus posted:

Is the oathbreaker's armor set any easier to come by in chapter 2? And is it worth it?

Try to grab a piece of armor from a dead Draugir early on. Otherwise, you will have to wait until pretty late in the chapter to craft it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Try to grab a piece of armor from a dead Draugir early on. Otherwise, you will have to wait until pretty late in the chapter to craft it.

Oh crap, like, how early? Not the VERY beginning before you even get to Vergen, right? I haven't been out of the city yet, just in the mine and doing stuff in Vergen, so not sure if they're out running around for me to kill - I have a sinking feeling they're not :(

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Flumpus posted:

Oh crap, like, how early? Not the VERY beginning before you even get to Vergen, right? I haven't been out of the city yet, just in the mine and doing stuff in Vergen, so not sure if they're out running around for me to kill - I have a sinking feeling they're not :(
They're only in the mist. So you've got 3 chances to grab one. The very beginning, well over halfway when you get sent across the mist to the enemy camp, and at the tail end where you exorcise the curse.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

They're only in the mist. So you've got 3 chances to grab one. The very beginning, well over halfway when you get sent across the mist to the enemy camp, and at the tail end where you exorcise the curse.

Ok, that's what I thought... First time through Iorveth's side of things, so wasn't sure what I'd find, but sounds like I'll have to grab that the second time you mention. Thanks! I haven't even bought the diagrams yet, so the only thing that was on my radar was all the crap I had started putting together in chapter one before giving up and just moving on without it.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Flumpus posted:

Ok, that's what I thought... First time through Iorveth's side of things, so wasn't sure what I'd find, but sounds like I'll have to grab that the second time you mention. Thanks! I haven't even bought the diagrams yet, so the only thing that was on my radar was all the crap I had started putting together in chapter one before giving up and just moving on without it.

You might check the area where you first emerged from the mists into Vergen at night. I've sometimes seen the soldier wraiths emerge from the mist there, but I've yet to see a Draugir come out. I suppose it's possible they could show up there too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dark Mode FAQ/Guide

I've decided to do a little write up on Dark Mode since I haven't seen any posts that are devoted to this particular difficulty (other than a few tips and suggestions here or there). I'll try to touch a few points in terms of what you can expect in difficulty and combat preparations.

A quick word: I would suggest that you at least play Hard mode before jumping into Dark Mode. It will give a sense of how much the damage increases from normal mode and hopefully help you get used to the tactics that I describe below.

So how hard is Dark Mode exactly?

Dark Mode is essentially Insane difficulty but you have the ability to reload save games upon death. You'll probably die in short order on your first trip out into the forest in Act 1, but that's okay! The most common cause of death is getting backstabbed (seriously, a nekker can one shot you with started equipment if you let him get behind you). Not only is damage received super high, but you have a greater incidence of having critical effect inflicted upon Geralt. Nothing sucks more than to take a grazing swipe from an Endrega only to die a few seconds later due to poison.

What about those cool armor sets you get for playing Dark Mode?

There are three new armor sets that you may craft in Dark Mode. One for each act. You'll notice a journal entry which describes a bit of lore behind each set. The diagrams are a steep investment, and the materials are costly, but each set is worth it and really helps out with the difficulty curve.

Act 1 - The Blasphemer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~2000 Orens - Sold by Berthold Candelaria at the dwarven smithy in Flotsam.

Act 2 - The Oathbreaker's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~4000 Orens - Sold by Lasota in the Kaedweni camp or by Mael in the market area in Vergen.

Act 3 - The Kinslayer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~6000 Orens - Sold by Bras of Ban Ard in Loc Muinne.

The material quantities are quite high for each of the sets, however I would strongly suggest that you are able to produce oil, robust cloth, heavy leather and studded leather. There are all base materials that each set uses in good quantity. The rest of the materials may either be scavenged or purchased from vendors.

Holy gently caress, that's a lot of money, so how am I going to fund these armor sets?

Arm wrestling, dice poker and fighting are all "safe" ways to collect funds, albeit painfully slow. Dice poker is potentially the fastest, but it also the riskiest. Arm wrestling and fighting are about equal, but I prefer arm wrestling since I hate QTEs.

Farming Nekker Teeth and Hearts, as well as Harpy Feathers are also pretty decent ways to gain extra money, due to the relative ease of finding and killing these fiends.

How should I approach combat in Dark Mode?

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that every single enemy you face has the potential to kill you very quickly. Even the lowly Nekker can kill you with a few swipes to the back if you are caught out of position. Plan your tactics according to the danger.

The first combat point I'll make is that you need to keep moving at all times during encounters with large groups. You can't afford to get flanked or surrounded due to the danger of a unlucky backstab. I dodge in and around enemy groups to create separation and pick off individual monsters with hit and run tactics. If possible, coat your blade with either Arachnid Oil or Brown Oil depending on enemy succeptibilty. Bleeding or poison damage is essential to hit and run tactics and will really improve your chances.

Another good thing to bear in mind is that you must utilize *all* of your combat skills in order to effectively survive in Dark Mode, no matter your talent specialization. Bombs, daggers and signs need to be mixed in with your regular attacks to create distance and provide crowd control as the situation warrants. Traps can also be a good addition, however I rarely use them personally. They can definitely assist with your battlefield control, so I would experiment and then make a decision.

A few quick tips:
-Aard is great for interrupting incoming attacks and creating openings for Geralt. It also can potentially stun weaker enemies, allowing for a quick finisher.
-Yrden is essential in facing larger enemies that are snarable. You can either get into backstab position to deal major damage, or simply ignore the trapped enemy and focus on other foes.
-Keep a good supply of Grapeshot bombs for large clustered groups of enemies. Samum is also good and provides a chance to stun.
-I prefer dodging attacks over parrying them, since parrying doesn't completely eliminate damage taken. The counter to this is shielded enemies or if you have taken the Riposte talent. Still it's often riskier setting up a riposte than it is just dodging away.
-Watch your back! Always be aware of the enemies around you and prevent them from maneuvering to your backside. The Position talent can help with this.

What kind of potions should I be using?

Since the rate of damage is so high in Dark Mode, there is an argument for using only offensive oriented potions and ignoring vitality regeneration. I'm an advocate of running with Tawny Owl, Rook and Golden Oriole. Since low vigor imparts a fatigue penalty to damage, Tawny Owl helps keep vigor levels up and gives you greater options for sign use. Rook is a flat +10% damage boost that can be subbed for Thunderbold if you are feeling particularly bold (and can handle the -50% to vitality and regen). Golden Oriole is probably the most important as it increases critical effect resistance. Bleeds and poisons are extra deadly in Dark Mode.

What specialization is the best for Dark Mode?

All of the specializations are fine. For my particular playstyle, Magic is potentially the strongest with Alchemy and Sword coming in second and third respectively. I'll list a few key points for each spec below.

Magic:
-Strongest crowd control options.
-Highest potential vigor.
-Strong group damage potential.
-Most ranged focused.
-Heliotrope sign slows down opponents in the field.

Alchemy:
-Strongest bombs and traps of any tree.
-Greatly improves oil and potion duration.
-Enables the consumption of 4 potions.
-High toxicity imparts combat bonuses.
-Increases potion buffs while drastically decreasing potion debuffs.

Sword:
-Greatest damage reduction of any tree.
-Highest potential health increases.
-Buffs to critical effect chance.
-Increases vigor regeneration and reduces parry costs.

If you are unsure on which spec to choose on your initial Dark Mode playthrough, I would suggest taking the Magic tree due to the aforementioned ranged and crowd control improvements. The vigor increases also help immensely.

That's about all I can think of for now. Please let me know if I left out anything important or if anybody else has any helpful tips that I neglected to mention.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It amazes me how much better things are in the EE compared to the original release. Off the top of my head.

1st and 2nd boss spoilersThe Kayran is actually fun to fight now. No more near-one hit kills and rock spam. I was actually able to take a few hits without having to re-load every 2 seconds. Made a world of a difference.

Letho is so much better now it's not even funny. He doesn't spam Aard and bombs anymore and his Quen doesn't last so drat long. He also seems to do a touch less damage which is nice. Overall, I find Quen to be much better now. It feels nicely balanced.

Sadly, a few problems remain. In some scripted fights Geralt starts off with his sword sheathed which means enemies can get a free hit in which is bullshit. Also the camera still freaks out at times and can get you killed. The hit detection is a little off at times but once I got the extended dodge it was no longer an issue.

Lock-on? Still absolute bullshit. I love trying to attack a certain enemy only to have the lock on have me attack someone in the back row and I end up dog piling into the fray and getting killed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Red Mundus posted:

Sadly, a few problems remain. In some scripted fights Geralt starts off with his sword sheathed which means enemies can get a free hit in which is bullshit. Also the camera still freaks out at times and can get you killed. The hit detection is a little off at times but once I got the extended dodge it was no longer an issue.

Lock-on? Still absolute bullshit. I love trying to attack a certain enemy only to have the lock on have me attack someone in the back row and I end up dog piling into the fray and getting killed.

If you're going to get hit, just start the fight by dodging out of the way rather than try to meet them head on. It's saved my rear end a bunch since I hate running around with a sword in my hand. I just see it as yet another realistic element of the game - if you get surprised then you start out at a disadvantage. I've never really used lock-on so I don't know how to help you there. Otherwise, yeah I'm totally digging the changes to EE. It really feels like some solid pothole-filling that really brings up the average feel of the game. In particular I think that their inclusion of some better narrative explanations really improve the overall experience. The first time I started playing I literally thought that I was missing content since things just would never be explained until way later in the story. Now players don't just tune out when characters start talking about Demavend, or wonder what the gently caress is going on when an assassin pops up out of nowhere.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Vargatron posted:

Dark Mode FAQ/Guide

I've decided to do a little write up on Dark Mode since I haven't seen any posts that are devoted to this particular difficulty (other than a few tips and suggestions here or there). I'll try to touch a few points in terms of what you can expect in difficulty and combat preparations.

A quick word: I would suggest that you at least play Hard mode before jumping into Dark Mode. It will give a sense of how much the damage increases from normal mode and hopefully help you get used to the tactics that I describe below.

So how hard is Dark Mode exactly?

Dark Mode is essentially Insane difficulty but you have the ability to reload save games upon death. You'll probably die in short order on your first trip out into the forest in Act 1, but that's okay! The most common cause of death is getting backstabbed (seriously, a nekker can one shot you with started equipment if you let him get behind you). Not only is damage received super high, but you have a greater incidence of having critical effect inflicted upon Geralt. Nothing sucks more than to take a grazing swipe from an Endrega only to die a few seconds later due to poison.

What about those cool armor sets you get for playing Dark Mode?

There are three new armor sets that you may craft in Dark Mode. One for each act. You'll notice a journal entry which describes a bit of lore behind each set. The diagrams are a steep investment, and the materials are costly, but each set is worth it and really helps out with the difficulty curve.

Act 1 - The Blasphemer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~2000 Orens - Sold by Berthold Candelaria at the dwarven smithy in Flotsam.

Act 2 - The Oathbreaker's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~4000 Orens - Sold by Lasota in the Kaedweni camp or by Mael in the market area in Vergen.

Act 3 - The Kinslayer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~6000 Orens - Sold by Bras of Ban Ard in Loc Muinne.

The material quantities are quite high for each of the sets, however I would strongly suggest that you are able to produce oil, robust cloth, heavy leather and studded leather. There are all base materials that each set uses in good quantity. The rest of the materials may either be scavenged or purchased from vendors.

Holy gently caress, that's a lot of money, so how am I going to fund these armor sets?

Arm wrestling, dice poker and fighting are all "safe" ways to collect funds, albeit painfully slow. Dice poker is potentially the fastest, but it also the riskiest. Arm wrestling and fighting are about equal, but I prefer arm wrestling since I hate QTEs.

Farming Nekker Teeth and Hearts, as well as Harpy Feathers are also pretty decent ways to gain extra money, due to the relative ease of finding and killing these fiends.

How should I approach combat in Dark Mode?

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that every single enemy you face has the potential to kill you very quickly. Even the lowly Nekker can kill you with a few swipes to the back if you are caught out of position. Plan your tactics according to the danger.

The first combat point I'll make is that you need to keep moving at all times during encounters with large groups. You can't afford to get flanked or surrounded due to the danger of a unlucky backstab. I dodge in and around enemy groups to create separation and pick off individual monsters with hit and run tactics. If possible, coat your blade with either Arachnid Oil or Brown Oil depending on enemy succeptibilty. Bleeding or poison damage is essential to hit and run tactics and will really improve your chances.

Another good thing to bear in mind is that you must utilize *all* of your combat skills in order to effectively survive in Dark Mode, no matter your talent specialization. Bombs, daggers and signs need to be mixed in with your regular attacks to create distance and provide crowd control as the situation warrants. Traps can also be a good addition, however I rarely use them personally. They can definitely assist with your battlefield control, so I would experiment and then make a decision.

A few quick tips:
-Aard is great for interrupting incoming attacks and creating openings for Geralt. It also can potentially stun weaker enemies, allowing for a quick finisher.
-Yrden is essential in facing larger enemies that are snarable. You can either get into backstab position to deal major damage, or simply ignore the trapped enemy and focus on other foes.
-Keep a good supply of Grapeshot bombs for large clustered groups of enemies. Samum is also good and provides a chance to stun.
-I prefer dodging attacks over parrying them, since parrying doesn't completely eliminate damage taken. The counter to this is shielded enemies or if you have taken the Riposte talent. Still it's often riskier setting up a riposte than it is just dodging away.
-Watch your back! Always be aware of the enemies around you and prevent them from maneuvering to your backside. The Position talent can help with this.

What kind of potions should I be using?

Since the rate of damage is so high in Dark Mode, there is an argument for using only offensive oriented potions and ignoring vitality regeneration. I'm an advocate of running with Tawny Owl, Rook and Golden Oriole. Since low vigor imparts a fatigue penalty to damage, Tawny Owl helps keep vigor levels up and gives you greater options for sign use. Rook is a flat +10% damage boost that can be subbed for Thunderbold if you are feeling particularly bold (and can handle the -50% to vitality and regen). Golden Oriole is probably the most important as it increases critical effect resistance. Bleeds and poisons are extra deadly in Dark Mode.

What specialization is the best for Dark Mode?

All of the specializations are fine. For my particular playstyle, Magic is potentially the strongest with Alchemy and Sword coming in second and third respectively. I'll list a few key points for each spec below.

Magic:
-Strongest crowd control options.
-Highest potential vigor.
-Strong group damage potential.
-Most ranged focused.
-Heliotrope sign slows down opponents in the field.

Alchemy:
-Strongest bombs and traps of any tree.
-Greatly improves oil and potion duration.
-Enables the consumption of 4 potions.
-High toxicity imparts combat bonuses.
-Increases potion buffs while drastically decreasing potion debuffs.

Sword:
-Greatest damage reduction of any tree.
-Highest potential health increases.
-Buffs to critical effect chance.
-Increases vigor regeneration and reduces parry costs.

If you are unsure on which spec to choose on your initial Dark Mode playthrough, I would suggest taking the Magic tree due to the aforementioned ranged and crowd control improvements. The vigor increases also help immensely.

That's about all I can think of for now. Please let me know if I left out anything important or if anybody else has any helpful tips that I neglected to mention.

One thing to add about the special cursed sets. In some fights, one of your weapons may become unequipped for some reason (I had this happen in Act 2 when fighting The Nilfgaardian mage after sneaking into their camp). As a result, remember to note when that happens and put your weapon back on before the curse kills you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Vargatron posted:

Dark Mode FAQ/Guide

This is some way solid information. Mind if I throw this in the OP?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SpaceViking posted:

One thing to add about the special cursed sets. In some fights, one of your weapons may become unequipped for some reason (I had this happen in Act 2 when fighting The Nilfgaardian mage after sneaking into their camp). As a result, remember to note when that happens and put your weapon back on before the curse kills you.
Does this actually happen? I swapped the steel sword out of Blasphemer's the second I reached Vergen because I won a better sword in dice poker from the dwarf that leads you to your room. Still not dead and the set sword is in storage.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is some way solid information. Mind if I throw this in the OP?

Please do!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Shumagorath posted:

Does this actually happen? I swapped the steel sword out of Blasphemer's the second I reached Vergen because I won a better sword in dice poker from the dwarf that leads you to your room. Still not dead and the set sword is in storage.

Yeah, maybe it only happens in combat though. You take rapid health loss until you die when you miss one set piece.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

SpaceViking posted:

Basically, check after every cut scene that the game hasn't swapped your weapons around if you're using the cursed stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, just starting on chapter 1...why does over-exerting her magic make Triss look like she's high rather than exhausted?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

So, just starting on chapter 1...why does over-exerting her magic make Triss look like she's high rather than exhausted?
I think it causes brain damage or something.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

socialsecurity posted:

I think most of the difficulty from this game is eliminated by caution and experience. I'm playing through dark mode right now and finding it much, much easier than my original run on release day. This is because the original run taught me what tactics are effective and what dangers can kill me outright.

With the original run I used my witcher-training to witcher-research the Witcher 2. I bought the book of Witcher 2 knowledge from GOG, read it, and have achieved ability level 3/3 in Witcher 2 monster lore. I've drunk the potion of Witcher 2, and coated my blades in the finest Witcher 2 slaying oils. The Witcher 2 can't sneak up behind me for the backstab, because I know where the Witcher 2 hides in the darkness. My medallion quakes when the Witcher 2 draws near.

That said, I'm dreading the secretOperator under Loc Muinne, with Gargoyle buddies boss. I'll eat my words when I get there.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I just finished my first runthrough of the game and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with every aspect of this game, top to bottom. Most of all this game proved to me that its not impossible to make a game with meaningful player choice and an engaging narrative ( im looking at you Bioware).

I wont spoil anything but the post credits thing makes me want Witcher 3 more than hardcore drugs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Total aside, but all the bitching about Bioware is a little excessive, considering that for Mass Effect they literally had to concoct an entire fleshed out universe instead of just using an existing IP. A universe that was interesting, engaging, and had some depth. That's not that easy to do, yet everyone is all "RAWR BIOWARE SUCKS." Kinda getting old.

That said, Dragon Age was boring and lovely.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Total aside, but all the bitching about Bioware is a little excessive, considering that for Mass Effect they literally had to concoct an entire fleshed out universe instead of just using an existing IP. A universe that was interesting, engaging, and had some depth. That's not that easy to do, yet everyone is all "RAWR BIOWARE SUCKS." Kinda getting old.

That's what happens when you throw away all your good will producing a lovely game, a game with a terrible ending to an entire trilogy and treat your fans like idiots.

Back to the Witcher 2. I got the original when it first came out and loved it. I thought I’d pick up the 360 version this time, to check out the differences and to give more money to CD Project RED. They have done a fantastic job. The graphics, although not as good, are fantastic, each door is now a loading screen, but the load is only a few seconds so it’s not a problem and the controls seems more responsive. Otherwise it’s the same game. I just love this world. Sorry to bash BioWare again but the Witcher universe seems like a more mature version of the Dragon Age universe. The characters are great and everyone has good reasons for acting like they do.

Eagerly awaiting more CD Project RED games.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Since I wanted to wait until I bought a GTX680 to replay Witcher 2 with the EE I went and played the orginal since I never played it. Wow, that was an awesome game. I regret not giving it a chance much earlier. While I still much prefer W2's combat I actually grew to like the combat in W1 once I got used to it. I really loved the story, and man that ending: "That sword is for monsters" indeed. And holy poo poo the Grand Master was Alvin?!. Really looking forward to replaying Witcher 2 now with my imported save and newfound familiarity with the story of the first one. (Too bad GTX680s still aren't in stock anywhere. :argh:)

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I mostly prefer the second game but there are a few things I like better in the first place. Firstly is that Vizima plays a large part of the game and cities always have the most potential for being fun in RPGs. Especially since Vizima is so extremely well done in terms of its atmosphere. I miss that urban aspect in The Witcher 2. Floatsam is just a backwater town (though well done) and Vergen is not too fun if you ask me.

Secondly, there is nothing approaching the complexity of something like the investigation quest in Act 2 of the original game. Even though the actual outcome didn't actually matter that much (if I remember correctly), and it was set up in a bit of a confusing manner at times (the 'accusation' dialogues could be rather awkward), it was a lot of fun to play through that.

Doing the legwork yourself by reading up on monsters and herbs and all that was also quite a lot of fun if you ask me, made books quite important. Wish they had expanded upon that more.

Also, the music in the first game is *so* much better and fitting to the universe generally speaking if you ask me.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In my quest log, why do some quests have a shield behind the green check mark and some don't?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Capsaicin posted:

In my quest log, why do some quests have a shield behind the green check mark and some don't?

The shields represent quests related to the main story.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Siminu posted:

That said, I'm dreading the secretOperator under Loc Muinne, with Gargoyle buddies boss. I'll eat my words when I get there.

I don't think you have to fight him, actually.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fuzz posted:

I think you're missing the point about the Bioware complaints: pretty sure most/all of the complainers would agree the universe and general story are well done and engaging. Where it stumbles or falls is in the game mechanics and ham-handed "choice" options you get....and of course that terrible ending. If their game worlds were flat and uninteresting they'd get wholly dismissed as crap subpar efforts and forgotten.

They also have the most directly comparable series to The Witcher in terms of genre, so using them as the bar/foil is inevitable and should come as no surprise to see it driven into the ground...mostly because the Witcher series compares that much more favorably.

Edit: ^The quest is totally optional, and you don't need to fight him if you do go see him. That said, for the Roche path you DO need to if you want to craft some of the endgame items (especially on Dark).

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No, I mean, I think you can just talk to him instead of fighting him. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong dude.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think Siminu knows that you don't have to fight him. Some people do it because they don't need the re-spec and just want the challenge. You can still can dread it even if it's voluntary.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Speaking of voluntary fights, what's the Letho fight like at the end? I didn't do it in my first playthrough, because I just didn't feel like it was necessary to kill him. I'm still not sure if I want to do it this second time around, but am curious if it's any harder (maybe he's been leveling up this whole time too).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leinadi posted:

I mostly prefer the second game but there are a few things I like better in the first place. Firstly is that Vizima plays a large part of the game and cities always have the most potential for being fun in RPGs. Especially since Vizima is so extremely well done in terms of its atmosphere. I miss that urban aspect in The Witcher 2. Floatsam is just a backwater town (though well done) and Vergen is not too fun if you ask me.

Secondly, there is nothing approaching the complexity of something like the investigation quest in Act 2 of the original game. Even though the actual outcome didn't actually matter that much (if I remember correctly), and it was set up in a bit of a confusing manner at times (the 'accusation' dialogues could be rather awkward), it was a lot of fun to play through that.

Doing the legwork yourself by reading up on monsters and herbs and all that was also quite a lot of fun if you ask me, made books quite important. Wish they had expanded upon that more.

Also, the music in the first game is *so* much better and fitting to the universe generally speaking if you ask me.

At least both games have random acts of violence against old people.

And the first game really had a much nicer, polished soundtrack overall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Flumpus posted:

Speaking of voluntary fights, what's the Letho fight like at the end? I didn't do it in my first playthrough, because I just didn't feel like it was necessary to kill him. I'm still not sure if I want to do it this second time around, but am curious if it's any harder (maybe he's been leveling up this whole time too).
Since you're a lot more spec'd out in your chosen combat style, it's definitely easier than the first fight.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've encountered a bug during the Claws of Madness quest. I can't talk to the guy in the basement after the first time, locking me out of the "deceive" quest branch. Solutions?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Lycus posted:

Since you're a lot more spec'd out in your chosen combat style, it's definitely easier than the first fight.

I always kind of liked it because of that fact, it was like the first time around you were still so rusty from your amnesia that he could kind of kick you around. But by the end you've pretty much remembered all your old skills, and so its not that you've improved but rather that you were the better fighter all along.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fixed the bug with the non interactable ghost, turns out he's just a graphics whore who will not talk to people who don't have ubersampling enabled.

Might be one for the OP.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
Finally finished this for the very first time on Dark Mode. While I made it through with The Oathbreaker-set I really wonder about the "lower price for the diagrams"-mod. I just installed and loaded before the point of no return in the last chapter and the Kinslayer Armor costs double!

Do I have to do a whole new game? (I don't have a problem if it is so)

Also, screw the guy who thought that having conversations just before hard battles was a good idea. At least give me an autosave right before the battle so I don't have to click through conversations every time I die. (Again, Dark Mode...)

Frag Man fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 27, 2012

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, the Little Sisters quest in Chapter 2 - what the gently caress am I supposed to do?

I get to the beach with Mavrick just before midnight (usually around 2300) like the in-game journal and quest handbook say, stand at the freaking marker on the map and... nothing ever happens.

Am I getting there too early? Too late? I'm sick of standing there with Crapper all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

OK, the Little Sisters quest in Chapter 2 - what the gently caress am I supposed to do?

I get to the beach with Mavrick just before midnight (usually around 2300) like the in-game journal and quest handbook say, stand at the freaking marker on the map and... nothing ever happens.

Am I getting there too early? Too late? I'm sick of standing there with Crapper all night.
Try going to the beach at any time and then meditating there until 2300.

• Locked thread