Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think my SF-1200 Corsair might be dying. Once a week it won't boot up properly, requires a reboot to get Windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The next generation wasn't objectively bad I don't think compared to comparable sandforce drives but then they pulled that shady business with the 25nm NAND with the Vertex 2

Even before that, the 2nd generation drives had some manufacturing issues that compounded OCZ's apparently poor QC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am the only human with successful OCZ drives apparently. 5 for 5. 2 Vertex 1s, 2 Vertex 2s and 1 Vertex 3. I must be the 1%. :smug:

(I don't know if I'll buy another OCZ drive still)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just got a Samsung 830 128 GB to hold my gamez while my 120 GB G2 X25 holds Windows + programs. CrystalDiskMark says the Samsung is between two and eight times faster than the Intel drive depending on the benchmark. Almost seems excessive, but I'm pretty happy about it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

512GB drives for $300 next summer?

240/256GB drives can be found for $200 now, and 120GB drives were a steal at $200 last year. And 80GB drives were $200 the year before that.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't the SF-1200's have just as many issues as the current drives?
My Vertex 2 lasted almost a year before it started crashing on me. Luckily it still would run long enough to image over to an Intel SSD.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Baby Proof posted:

My Vertex 2 lasted almost a year before it started crashing on me. Luckily it still would run long enough to image over to an Intel SSD.

Yeah I had an Agility 2 that fortunately I had replaced and passed on to someone else crap out after a year. He had unluckily used it to replace HIS failing Agility 1.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I didn't realize there were so many issues with the second gen as well, I thought it was mostly just the same generic sandforce issues that everyone had. In any case I had a pair of 60gb Agility 1s in RAID0 for the better part of 2 years and only replaced them because I needed to free a SATA port. I've never had a hiccup out of either of them; now one is a cache and one is secondary to the 64gb 830 I just put in my laptop.

Now, the circumstances that required me to free a SATA port also required me to buy two replacement 1.5tb hard drives at fuckoff thai flood prices, so I was pretty desperate for a good deal on 120 gigs of SSD to replace the RAID. Against all of the advice, I got a 120 gig Agility 3 when they hit $90 or something on newegg. It's a non-critical machine (gaming/media pc) and I back it up to a mechanical every night, and so far it's been fine but I'm not going to hold my breath indefinitely. Once SSD prices drop a bit more I look forward to replacing it.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
as someone that is about to purchase his very first SSD in the form of a 120gb Intel 330, is there any indication from intel's track record that my drive will go to poo poo like so many of you have experienced?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

negativeneil posted:

as someone that is about to purchase his very first SSD in the form of a 120gb Intel 330, is there any indication from intel's track record that my drive will go to poo poo like so many of you have experienced?
Intel drives have been pretty reliable, overall. This is their first one with this particular SF chip, though, so the jury is still out on it. But chances are a lot better that it'll be a-ok than from any of the other SF vendors, so there's that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My poor iMac only has SATA 2.0 :( Otherwise it looks inline with other numbers for similar drives on un-compressible data

Mushkin Chronos 240GB

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

negativeneil posted:

There's not much track record with Intel + SF other than the 530. In general Intel has been one of the more solid ones though, barring some bugs with early firmware updates for the G1 and G2, and that 8MB bug that still seems to be hitting some people even after the fix...but overall statistically they're still good afaik. Samsung's the only other one with a similar track record I think (other than slower performance with their old drives).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

japtor posted:

There's not much track record with Intel + SF other than the 530. In general Intel has been one of the more solid ones though, barring some bugs with early firmware updates for the G1 and G2, and that 8MB bug that still seems to be hitting some people even after the fix...but overall statistically they're still good afaik. Samsung's the only other one with a similar track record I think (other than slower performance with their old drives).

In terms of reliability, remember that Intel was the first company to offer a 5 year warranty on their SSDs, with their 320s. I don't know for certain, but I don't think any other company has matched that since.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

In terms of reliability, remember that Intel was the first company to offer a 5 year warranty on their SSDs, with their 320s. I don't know for certain, but I don't think any other company has matched that since.
On the other hand the warranty on the 330 is 3 years :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Last night I grabbed the SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD since it's cheap and on the recommended list of the system building thread. This morning I decided to read some of the reviews, and there are people saying it died on them within 3-4 months from being repeatedly put into sleep mode. Is this actually a real thing? I'm putting it in a desktop (which will never sleep/hibernate), but now it is making me wonder if there are any other concerns with this particular product?

e: That might be a firmware issue, which I'll be updating as soon as I get the machine built.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

Last night I grabbed the SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD since it's cheap and on the recommended list of the system building thread. This morning I decided to read some of the reviews, and there are people saying it died on them within 3-4 months from being repeatedly put into sleep mode. Is this actually a real thing? I'm putting it in a desktop (which will never sleep/hibernate), but now it is making me wonder if there are any other concerns with this particular product?

e: That might be a firmware issue, which I'll be updating as soon as I get the machine built.

Every SSD will have a bunch of people out there reporting that it died on them 2 months after they bought it.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

quote:

SSD vendors set to trigger price war to force out smaller peers

Major SSD firms have initiated price reductions to reflect falling prices for NAND flash chips. The move is also aimed at triggering a price war in the market in an attempt to squeeze out smaller peers, according to industry sources in Taiwan.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120425PD202.html

This looks like excellent news for us, if it's credible.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Crossposting from the Windows thread:

I have Windows 7 on one out of three partitions on my main disk. I've bought an SSD and want to move my OS to it. The only guides I've found deal with copying the entire disk to the SSD, and my SSD isn't big enough for that.
I tried using CloneZilla, but it gave me a couple of errors and didn't clone the boot section.

How do I do this the best way?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Boz0r posted:

Crossposting from the Windows thread:

I have Windows 7 on one out of three partitions on my main disk. I've bought an SSD and want to move my OS to it. The only guides I've found deal with copying the entire disk to the SSD, and my SSD isn't big enough for that.
I tried using CloneZilla, but it gave me a couple of errors and didn't clone the boot section.

How do I do this the best way?

Hm I'm not sure about best, but there are a few ways to do it if the disk is MBR and not GPT.
If your W7 boot partition is the first on the disk, and smaller than your SSD, you can always do a straight dd/ddrescue across in some kind of linux boot disk. Afterwards go in with fdisk or whichever and delete the partition table entries for the non-system reserved, non-boot partitions.
Keep in mind that the disk signature may be changed on your newly cloned drive and you may need to make some funky registry edits to fix the system up so that it boots from the correct drive.
One other way is to again go in with linux, dd the MBR (if=/dev/sdX# of=/dev/sdY# bs=448 count=1), then on the ssd create your NTFS partition and either make it the same size as your boot drive, or just fill the disk if it's larger. Then ntfsclone it over, and then ntfsresize it. There's probably Ghost or Acronis ways to do this part, too, but I don't think a partition clone in them will get that boot sector from the start. Again you'll need to keep in mind that blog article.

Probably the easiest way if you need to keep your settings is to just do a Windows Easy Transfer, then do a clean install on the new SSD and transfer your profile back that way. You'll need to reinstall your programs but I doubt you need everything you currently have installed; I never have.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You Am I posted:

I think my SF-1200 Corsair might be dying. Once a week it won't boot up properly, requires a reboot to get Windows

As a follow up to that, it is now doing this each time I boot up my PC. Are there any SSD diagnostic tools out there for me to check the drive (Corsair) or should I not bother and just get a new SSD immediately?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

You Am I posted:

As a follow up to that, it is now doing this each time I boot up my PC. Are there any SSD diagnostic tools out there for me to check the drive (Corsair) or should I not bother and just get a new SSD immediately?
There's not much that a diagnostic tool would tell you, anyhow. It's extremely unlikely that there's a problem with the underlying flash chips, which is what the tool would check. The problems typically come from the firmware bugs and the SF chip freaking out and entering panic states--something diagnostic tools don't really catch.

I would immediately back up all your data. If you can make a drive image, that's probably the best (and easiest, albeit not fastest) option. You can then try secure-erasing the drive and re-imaging/reinstalling and seeing if that fixes anything. If so, great. If not, RMA it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's a blog post from OWC about why you should avoid OCZ drives:

http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd%92s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

quote:

As you can see from the screen shot above, this OCZ SSD ordered Wednesday from a major retailer and received yesterday is still advertised as 120GB, yet is actually a 115GB version.

quote:

When we took the cover off of this third, direct from OCZ SSD, we found a ‘S’ stamped over Micron logo on all the flash devices (see the image to the left). This indicates the device is “off spec” product because it failed some parameter of Micron’s full performance and/or quality specification testing. “Off spec” memory is typically used in low-level applications such as toys, offering considerable cost savings over Tier 1 level to an SSD manufacturer.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
All in favor of the thread title being renamed to "gently caress OCZ" again? Aye.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hahaha, does anyone else remember way back when OCZ's main product was OverClockerZ RAM with useless go-faster heatsinks glued on? The dimms didn't generate enough heat to warrant heatsinks, but it did serve to obscure what sort of sub-par chips they were using.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

All in favor of the thread title being renamed to "gently caress OCZ" again? Aye.
We've certainly had to tell enough people recently. Aye.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I don't think it'll help since it was already bold and at the top of the OP, but there we go.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That reminds me of this from way back: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2899/4

quote:

By writing less to flash SandForce also believes its controllers allow SSD makers to use lower grade flash. Most MLC NAND flash on the market today is built for USB sticks or CF/SD cards. These applications have very minimal write cycle requirements. Toss some of this flash into an SSD and you’ll eventually start losing data.

Intel and other top tier SSD makers tackle this issue by using only the highest grade NAND available on the market. They take it seriously because most users don’t back up and losing your primary drive, especially when it’s supposed to be on more reliable storage, can be catastrophic.

SandForce attempts to internalize the problem in hardware, again driving up the cost/value of its controller. By simply writing less to the flash, a whole new category of cheaper MLC NAND flash can be used. In order to preserve data integrity the controller writes some redundant data to the flash. SandForce calls it similar to RAID-5, although the controller doesn’t generate parity data for every bit written. Instead there’s some element of redundancy, the extent of which SF isn’t interested in delving into at this point. The redundant data is striped across all of the flash in the SSD. SandForce believes it can correct errors at as large as the block level.
OCZ just decided to put SandForce's claims to the test :colbert:

...by shipping to customers instead of testing on their own.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wow.. so what about other manufactures that use sandforce controllers?!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

japtor posted:

The SF220 controllers made RAISE optional so they probably didn't add in the spare chip needed to make it work.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, so, I grabbed the SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II the other night, because Newegg had a special going on where I could pop in a promo code and get it for like $99 as opposed to $129. That was a spur of the moment thing, which, after reading this thread, I'm sorta regretting a little.

My question is simple: Should I stick with this drive, and if so what do I need to know/do to lower the chances of it up and failing on me? I'd be using it in a desktop, which will never go into sleep mode. I COULD potentially get a better drive, I suppose, though I would have to go through the Newegg return thing; which may not allow me to return it for any more than a replacement. Sandisk doesn't appear to offer firmware upgrades, either.

Basically, what should I do and what should I expect?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Here's a blog post from OWC about why you should avoid OCZ drives:

http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd%92s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

This is just so sketchy on the part of OCZ, and what's worse is that you have no idea whether you get first or second grade flash. It's a total coin toss.

Also loling a SpecTek. I didn't know Micron was still running that racket. Just to give frame of reference: SpecTek RAM chips usually end up in $300~$400 budget desktops where the motherboard is some all-in-one piece of poo poo made by ECS.

krooj fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 27, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

Makes enough sense to me, if they're still up to shady tricks.

It is sketchy if they really are using poo poo-tier NAND chips that are intended for cheap USB flash drives and so on.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 27, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be clear, that article is a year old, it was linked to demonstrate why we hate them. Whether they've changed their ways is anyone's guess.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tunga, judging by the legions of people coming out of the woodwork to defend OCZ, I think everybody is erring on the side of caution by calling OCZ "the worst".

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
When I used to have to deal with hardware vendors OCZ was consistently was the worst in terms of RMAs and returns. They had the highest return rate on PSUs, easily two to three times higher than even the no-name Chinese crap we had to sell to turn a profit. I eventually stopped stocking them and one of their regional guys threw a tantrum with my suppliers. They were only just getting into the first gen Sandforce stuff when I sold the business but if its anything like their other product lines then expect the worst.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

japtor posted:

How do we know they didn't test on their own? I mean, I know OCZ is shady as gently caress, but I'm just wondering if I missed something, or if you're just making a joke, or if I didn't miss anything, and you're making assumptions...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok, so, I grabbed the SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II...

My question is simple: Should I stick with this drive

It's not the fastest, but you wouldn't notice the difference with the fastest with desktop use. It's not the most reliable, but it's about up there with Corsair and other good SandForce SSDs. It's no OCZ. It's a fine budget drive.

quote:

what do I need to know/do to lower the chances of it up and failing on me?

There's nothing you can do, and it's almost impossible to predict an SSD failure, unfortunately. If it lasts 6 months, it'll probably last until you feel like replacing it.

quote:

Sandisk doesn't appear to offer firmware upgrades, either.

SanDisk Ultra is based on an older SandForce controller; there's no further development for it, and thus no firmware updating o be had for ANY drive of that era.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Went for a 256 Samsung 830..Doing a new build, hopefully I don't run into any weird problems..

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

zer0spunk posted:

Went for a 256 Samsung 830..Doing a new build, hopefully I don't run into any weird problems..

You should be fine. I was between that and a 520 for my build (ordering once IB comes out). Ended up going intel but the 830 is largely recommended, and fairly fast.

e: my buddy just got a samsung 256 put in his work laptop not too long ago, and loving loves it. Runs circles around his sata2 ssd device at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

How do we know they didn't test on their own? I mean, I know OCZ is shady as gently caress, but I'm just wondering if I missed something, or if you're just making a joke, or if I didn't miss anything, and you're making assumptions...
Yeah it was a joke...but that you couldn't tell whether it was a joke or not says enough about their reputation.

• Locked thread