Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudding Tame
Jan 14, 2008
Intel's House of Flying Laptops commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KBppDI9ok

Kind of skirts the line between stereotypes and racism with the last line.

I almost hear the old guy say, "You bring great shame upon this Coffee Hut...Debbie Spend-It-Now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Shit, really? They don't?! :,(

Iron Crowned posted:

She's meant to appeal to that. She's meant to who we want to be, carefree and unburdened by the expectations of society. Someone who can just stay home and order tomato soup because it's raining.

She is incredibly loving annoying and her over the top 'quirky' crap is just annoying. She is not anything I want to be, because I'm not a child. The commercial is really irritating.

But what's worse by far are those Mio furry commercials - especially the one where the lemur says, "dude, you just totally crock-blocked me!" How did this pass? Why is this airing? Who are they trying to appeal to?

I see so many commercials that I hate but two that I do enjoy: the Subway commercial with the happy Italian gondola guy singing about pepperoni, and the Tostitos commercial where the guy drops a big bowl of dip on the counter and shouts, "EVEN THIS BIG OL' DIP?" For some reason they both make me laugh.

I also enjoy any J.G. Wentworth commercial, because the jingle is so catchy, I find myself humming it in the shower. :unsmith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wagonburner posted:

That's pretty bad. Kinda really glad I saw that here 1st instead of being surprised by it on TV.

Lucky you, I've seen it like 5 times already this evening.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Pudding Tame posted:

Intel's House of Flying Laptops commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KBppDI9ok

Kind of skirts the line between stereotypes and racism with the last line.

I almost hear the old guy say, "You bring great shame upon this Coffee Hut...Debbie Spend-It-Now."

Yeah they could have gone without the last line, it was kinda out of place. Other than that I thought it was a pretty effective commercial.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aintain posted:

She is incredibly loving annoying and her over the top 'quirky' crap is just annoying. She is not anything I want to be, because I'm not a child. The commercial is really irritating.

Not everyone is as enlightened as us goons, the majority of people I know outside of work these days aren't as infantile as what's displayed in that commercial, but they're pretty close. People in their 20's these days are pretty childish, at this point I'm honestly surprised that they can fend for themselves.

On the other end of the spectrum, the people I do know at work think that Family Guy is the pinnacle of comedy and one begins saying "beefcake" if South Park gets mentioned. :suicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Not everyone is as enlightened as us goons,

Please tell me this is tongue-in-cheek.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aintain posted:

But what's worse by far are those Mio furry commercials - especially the one where the lemur says, "dude, you just totally crock-blocked me!" How did this pass? Why is this airing? Who are they trying to appeal to?

Yeah, the Mio ads are terrible...though I admit I did find it slightly amusing to see that the crocodile is wearing a Lacoste shirt.

crocodile logo shirt

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of funny since the AT&T/T-Mobile merger got the kibosh put on it they're bringing back the T-Mobile girl. Except now she's all edgy and on a motorcycle.

I will eventually get sick of what is certainly the first in a series of "now I'm a hardcore take-no-prisoners bitch" T-Mobile Girl 2.0 commercials, but for now I'll just appreciate that she's back on my television being mysteriously attractive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Not everyone is as enlightened as us goons, the majority of people I know outside of work these days aren't as infantile as what's displayed in that commercial, but they're pretty close.

Is how people act on their goof-off days now the way to judge their character? I dunno, the anger at the commercial seems way disproportionate to anything she does.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I will eventually get sick of what is certainly the first in a series of "now I'm a hardcore take-no-prisoners bitch" T-Mobile Girl 2.0 commercials, but for now I'll just appreciate that she's back on my television being mysteriously attractive.

For one thing, her legs go allll the way up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

McSpanky posted:

And wearing skin-tight leather/pleather/latex/whatever it is who cares it's hot. :swoon:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The Verizon ad with the mother and daughter trying to speak while crying is beyond awful, but it reminds me of the backwards-talking dwarf from Twin Peaks, so I guess it gets a pass by association.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

The Verizon ad with the mother and daughter trying to speak while crying is beyond awful, but it reminds me of the backwards-talking dwarf from Twin Peaks, so I guess it gets a pass by association.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that probably was cute on paper, but after several viewings, the rage starts to build.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that probably was cute on paper, but after several viewings, the rage starts to build.

That's how I viewed that old, I think AT&T ad, where the mother and daughter were screaming angrily at each other but saying stuff like :argh: "YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD MOTHER AND I APPRECIATE WHAT YOU DO FOR ME!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is how people act on their goof-off days now the way to judge their character? I dunno, the anger at the commercial seems way disproportionate to anything she does.

I guess not, but that doesn't mean it makes for a good or interesting commercial. I don't rage about it like people do here, but I hate it because it's just so dumb. Everything about it seems so forced.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Cell carrier commercials have always been the worst.

Blast from the past yall, en-jay-oh-why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySR3hpieiQc&feature=related

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

As soon as you said that, I knew what commercials you were linking. God, those were horrible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Meepo posted:

As soon as you said that, I knew what commercials you were linking. God, those were horrible.

That's so 29 seconds ago :smug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

McSpanky posted:

I wasn't aware they ever took the T-Mobile girl away, I've seen her in commercials pretty consistently.

I didn't know the merger got killed though, makes me glad because as much as I feel like they rape my wallet, I shopped around to the other major carriers and holy gently caress how do people pay that much for a phone bill.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Parachute posted:

This was on every loving commercial break during the NFL draft. Did they really think the wailing of women would appeal to people watching the NFL draft? I switched from Verizon to Sprint about a month ago and that ad alone confirms to me that I made the correct choice. At least it specifically mentions mother's day so it probably won't be around for that long. Although it'll probably just be re-dubbed or use different subtitles and be around for years.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Parachute posted:

I'm okay with the commercial- despite the overly-annoying mother and daughter- just because of the absolute look of horror on the clerk's face.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This is more of a radio complaint, but gently caress the trend of inanimate objects or meals calling and leaving voicemails in these awful, cloying voices. I actually turned off my radio for the duration of a new T-Mobile one. Christ almighty.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
BEFORE 9 AM

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, the Mio ads are terrible...though I admit I did find it slightly amusing to see that the crocodile is wearing a Lacoste shirt.

crocodile logo shirt

I hadn't noticed that, that is kind of cute. I think the reason they creep me out are the sexual parts (the camel and her big fake 'humps', the 'crock-blocking', etc) If they just made it animals doing human-like things, or making silly animal/human jokes, I would still think they were creepy but not nearly as bad. There is something uncomfortable to me about animal people + sex jokes.

SpacePig posted:

I guess not, but that doesn't mean it makes for a good or interesting commercial. I don't rage about it like people do here, but I hate it because it's just so dumb. Everything about it seems so forced.

Is it "raging" to complain about a lovely commercial in the lovely commercial thread, though?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jimmy Johns

Ok I know I'm way late on this but as a 4 time Jimmy Johns employee (wrap your head around THAT poo poo) I feel I must clear up a few things.

1. Jimmy John's quality is WAY above Subway's. Not even close. They slice their own meat, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc. The fact that it was sliced by a dirty hippie and may be contaminated is beside the point.

2. There are 2 types of stores, franchise and corporate. The ones that plaster everything in JJ's flyers are corporate. The ones that invite you in for an interview, dick you around for a day, then get high and sexually harass their employees while you take the test are franchises. This is a dead-on-balls-accurate way of telling them apart.

3. Jimmy Johns drivers smoke pot. All of them. 90% of all employees I'd say. I wouldn't expect any of them to write Beethoven's 5th, but if you need a sandwich delivered in 5 minutes they can do it.

4. Jimmy is a big fat racist rear end in a top hat, a coke-snorting, sausage-inhaling, beefy sonofawhore. He hates hippies (there's a No Hippies Allowed sign in every store) but makes fucktons of money off them and pays them poo poo. He also has a gaggle of yes-men around him that think every idea he has is gold.

5. I'm sick of their food, but a #12 with bacon is one of the best sandwiches on the planet. Also, try the #8, add bacon (natch), and then crush some Jimmy John's(R) bbq chips and sprinkle them on, AKA the BBQ Bacon Billy Club.

6. The secret ingredient in the tuna is soy sauce.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gonz posted:

SON OF A BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2wtNYkngvA

This made the NFL Draft hell

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Gweenz posted:

3. Jimmy Johns drivers smoke pot. All of them. 90% of all employees I'd say. I wouldn't expect any of them to write Beethoven's 5th, but if you need a sandwich delivered in 5 minutes they can do it.

Is there only one of these stores or :psyduck: I mean how do you know most of them smoke pot? And does pot actually make you drive faster or something? If I ordered food, I would rather get it from a guy who isn't high as hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This made the NFL Draft hell

Precisely. It got to the point where I had to watch the whole thing on mute because they played this goddamn ad 4 times every commercial break.

I've been a Verizon customer for years now, and I appreciate the fact that when I got my iPhone 4, they let me grandfather my contract agreement into it, allowing me to continue to have unlimited data for the same price, despite the fact that new customers have a data cap.

But these ads are really trying my patience with Verizon, so much to the point that i'm considering going over to Sprint when the iPhone 5 comes out this fall. My contract is up in December, anyway.

Get your poo poo together, Verizon. This is like nails on a chalkboard on a daily basis, now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

Precisely. It got to the point where I had to watch the whole thing on mute because they played this goddamn ad 4 times every commercial break.

I refuse to believe this wasn't Verizon trolling hardcore NFL fans. :laugh:

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Aintain posted:

Is there only one of these stores or :psyduck: I mean how do you know most of them smoke pot? And does pot actually make you drive faster or something? If I ordered food, I would rather get it from a guy who isn't high as hell.

Oops! I didn't mean to imply that it made them better drivers. And to be fair, the driver that shows up at your door is not guaranteed to be stoned. His dealer could have run out.

My observations come from working at 3 different stores and having friends at others. JJ's is fairly unique for a service industry job in that the employees are strangely loyal; many have worked there for 5 years or more. It's almost like a small community where everyone knows everything about one another.

Content: These commercials are actually ok but the song is like nails on a chalkboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wayZ9e6sq8

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Wagonburner posted:

Blast from the past yall, en-jay-oh-why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySR3hpieiQc&feature=related

I remember being in school while those were on TV. Girls would never stop imitating it and it drove me crazy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gweenz posted:

Content: These commercials are actually ok but the song is like nails on a chalkboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wayZ9e6sq8

Mother of God, there's a longer version? :suicide:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

(Should I feel bad about posting this?)

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Should I feel bad about posting this?)

No, you shouldn't.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Timby posted:

Mother of God, there's a longer version? :suicide:

Imagine my surprise when I learned it wasn't Macy Gray but an even worse corporate version.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Surprised to see no complaints about the new Svedka ad. Sexy robots bother me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stj4fKMkesU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Tupping Liberty posted:

It's like the robots from All is full of love got drunk which I guess it's what they're going for. For what it's worth it bothers the hell out of me too.

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

This is super creepy. If anyone is aroused by this they have some sort of issue.

I think it was Svedka but I can't remember, but there was a vodka commercial that was really cool; it was some kind of robotic greyhound race with these weird, Lady Gaga-like people controlling them, and they were all different colours. I really like that one.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Tupping Liberty posted:

Oh god I saw that and threw up in my mouth a little. This is proof humanity is not ready for robots to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tardcore posted:

Oh god I saw that and threw up in my mouth a little. This is proof humanity is not ready for robots to exist.

Unless they're animated.