Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The new download interface is in 14 Aurora, but is disabled by default. Go into about:config and change 'browser.download.use.ToolkitUI' to false to enable it.

Incremental Garbage Collector is there as well and can be enabled by setting 'javascript.options.mem.gc_incremental' to true. I would use some caution with it however, as I ran into a couple of posts at various places that stated that it hurt performance, although I haven't noticed a problem. As usual, not my fault if your break something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Ryokurin posted:

The new download interface is in 14 Aurora, but is disabled by default. Go into about :config and change 'browser.download.use.ToolkitUI' to false to enable it.
This is kinda nitpicking, but for anyone else confused it's browser.download.useToolkitUI

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Obviously this isn't scientific at all, but Firefox 14 feels much faster to use, really can notice the improved latency, especially with I/O transactions not blocking things.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

Obviously this isn't scientific at all, but Firefox 14 feels much faster to use, really can notice the improved latency, especially with I/O transactions not blocking things.

Try the Alpha (Nightly 15a1). Much, much quicker again, and breaks surprising little. Weird issues with tab scrolling right now, but only causes some graphical nuisance.

Honestly, I know running the beta is important, but I find the Alpha very usable day to day, with a lot less issues than one might think.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey, got a quick question - if someone has an older (but patched) version of Firefox, will upgrading whack their saved passwords?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Three-Phase posted:

Hey, got a quick question - if someone has an older (but patched) version of Firefox, will upgrading whack their saved passwords?

I upgraded a relative from Firefox 3.0.19 to Firefox 12 just today, and their saved passwords and all worked fine.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Hey. I run a script which needs Firefox to start and load the requested pages no matter what. Sometimes, though, it asks for Add-on updates and such on startup, and then subsequently doesn't load the pages until the user gives input regarding the updates/whatever. How do I turn those messages off so Firefox does nothing but loading the pages?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Alereon posted:

The upside is that this reduces memory leaked during their tests by 80%, the downside is that buggy code that would have previously caused a leak may now throw an exception, which could break some things. They have about 18 weeks until this hits the release channel though (6 each in Nightly, Aurora, Beta), which should be enough time for add-on authors to find and fix breakage.
I think you might be overestimating the abilities of many addon authors.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

back2newbelf posted:

Hey. I run a script which needs Firefox to start and load the requested pages no matter what. Sometimes, though, it asks for Add-on updates and such on startup, and then subsequently doesn't load the pages until the user gives input regarding the updates/whatever. How do I turn those messages off so Firefox does nothing but loading the pages?
I used the Update Notifier extension for the longest time; it allowed for addon updates to be installed silently. Development has stopped however. In the comments this alternative is suggested, but I haven't tried it yet. EDIT Does not actually work for me.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 30, 2012

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just in case someone runs into it, Xmarks is broken in 14, it will keep saying that the bookmark file is corrupted. They don't support anything but the official version but stated that they will have something ready to support 14 properly in a couple of weeks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Install Gentoo posted:

I upgraded a relative from Firefox 3.0.19 to Firefox 12 just today, and their saved passwords and all worked fine.

Geesh, 3.0.19? You might want to backup their passwords etc. to Firefox Sync and make a new profile, just to keep things nice and crisp.

Did your relative notice much speed improvement between Fx 3 and 12?

Alereon posted:

I noticed since either Fx 12 or 13 was in beta, startup performance was much improved. I think one of those was the release they dropped support for Windows 2000 and XP (RTM, SPs 1 & 2).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Geesh, 3.0.19? You might want to backup their passwords etc. to Firefox Sync and make a new profile, just to keep things nice and crisp.

Did your relative notice much speed improvement between Fx 3 and 12?

Well I noticed a speed difference at least. This was cleaning up their old junky laptop from 2009 or so, browsing was much nicer in FF12.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I'm considering switching to another browser because I'm getting sick to death of my favorite extensions shutting down every time firefox updates because of version compatibility claims. If firefox is to be believed Linkification hasn't worked since version 5, and after getting upped to 12, it refuses to work altogether. And now my weather channel extension's shut down too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Everything Firefox 10 and beyond is assumed to be compatible by default, with the following exceptions:

Add-ons marked to work with a Firefox version less than 4.0
Add-ons with binary components
Add-ons explicitly marked by the author as incompatible, i.e. opt-out of Compatible By Default
Add-ons tested and determined to not be compatible with a given version of Firefox, and marked as incompatible by Mozilla
Themes

Linkification hasn't been updated in over a year, so it's possible that it falls in under the first criterion. Fortunately the first review on its addons catalogue page gives instructions for tweaking the installer so that it runs properly.

The same thing's probably happening with your weather addon. Your best bet's to look for an updated version, or go in and perform the same surgery on the xpi package, assuming it isn't hooking into some DLL it comes packaged with.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It may have to do with an upgrade to version 12...

If I visit a radio station website (i.e. 106.7 lite fm's book cafe), 99% of the time it just loads as far as the navigation part and sits there spinning on "Read apis.google.com" in the lower corner.

I've deleted my cooking, cache, even used Bleachbit, but nothing works. It's fine in Chrome and no other user has this sort of problem.

No, I can't use any extension to disable such things since part of my job is coding for such social network functionality.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Bieeardo posted:

Everything Firefox 10 and beyond is assumed to be compatible by default, with the following exceptions:

Add-ons marked to work with a Firefox version less than 4.0
Add-ons with binary components
Add-ons explicitly marked by the author as incompatible, i.e. opt-out of Compatible By Default
Add-ons tested and determined to not be compatible with a given version of Firefox, and marked as incompatible by Mozilla
Themes

Linkification hasn't been updated in over a year, so it's possible that it falls in under the first criterion. Fortunately the first review on its addons catalogue page gives instructions for tweaking the installer so that it runs properly.

The same thing's probably happening with your weather addon. Your best bet's to look for an updated version, or go in and perform the same surgery on the xpi package, assuming it isn't hooking into some DLL it comes packaged with.

Alright, looked into that. Definitely follow the video instructions rather than the listed ones, the video version is much quicker and easier to do than the listed directions.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there a free and foolproof way to sync between FF and an iPhone? I used to use XMarks but it doesn't work anymore, I think since iOS 5. I tried some other $10 solution and it was an unholy mess of configuring sync services and other BS.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Internaut! posted:

Is there a free and foolproof way to sync between FF and an iPhone? I used to use XMarks but it doesn't work anymore, I think since iOS 5. I tried some other $10 solution and it was an unholy mess of configuring sync services and other BS.

I've been perfectly happy with Firefox Home.

todesschaf
Nov 6, 2006
Sheep of Death!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You might want to backup their passwords etc. to Firefox Sync

Please repeat after me: Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service.

Let me say that again. Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service. If you lose the key and don't have another already-connected device around, there is quite literally NO way to recover your data. Again, that is NOT a backup service.

Note, this is likely to change at some point in the future, but I really don't know the timeline on that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

todesschaf posted:

Please repeat after me: Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service.

Let me say that again. Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service. If you lose the key and don't have another already-connected device around, there is quite literally NO way to recover your data. Again, that is NOT a backup service.

Note, this is likely to change at some point in the future, but I really don't know the timeline on that.

Sorry, my bad, I know they said in the bug for Sync that if they called it "Not the Firefox backup service" people would still call it that.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
I have a really odd problem that I'm not entirely sure where to go to for help because of all the specifics behind it. The problem only pertains to Firefox, though, so I'm hoping someone who knows everything about how the browser works might have an answer.

Basically, I'm using an Acer Iconia W500 tablet with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (32-bit) on it and for some reason I can't touch context menus, or the drop down Firefox/bookmark/etc menus. When I touch them, it acts as though I had clicked on whatever's behind it, as if the menu isn't there. And I have no problems with the menus using a mouse, only when using the touch screen.

I had the problem back with the 32-bit Developer Preview as well, BUT everything was fine with the first 64-bit install. I had made the switch because Acer's dumb about drivers and going with 32-bit was the only way to get rotation to work (without having to manually switch Windows to portrait/landscape).

Even weirder, the problem isn't exactly consistent. Every once in a while, I'm able to use the context menus. Though it doesn't last long. And, if it wasn't clear, I only have this problem in Firefox, any other third party application works fine.

I really don't understand what's causing this and it seems to be a very specific problem I'm having since I've searched to see if there's been similar issues with Firefox on a tablet, and came up with nothing.

Edit: I installed Thunderbird to see if it had the same issues and yep, it does. So it seems like the issue may lie with XUL - Mozilla's design language. It's only a guess, but maybe it would help?

McOgre fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 1, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

McOgre posted:

:words:

I don't have a tablet, and I'm not running Windows 8. Just to clarify, FF worked fine under 64-bit Windows 8 but not under 32-bit Windows 8?

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Fangs404 posted:

I don't have a tablet, and I'm not running Windows 8. Just to clarify, FF worked fine under 64-bit Windows 8 but not under 32-bit Windows 8?

Yes.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

McOgre posted:

Yes.

Were you using the same version of FF under both architectures? Could be any number of things - a driver issue, a Windows 8 bug, perhaps a bug that got introduced in a FF update. I think there's a guy here that does FF development, so maybe he has some insights.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Fangs404 posted:

Were you using the same version of FF under both architectures? Could be any number of things - a driver issue, a Windows 8 bug, perhaps a bug that got introduced in a FF update. I think there's a guy here that does FF development, so maybe he has some insights.

Well hmm, back when I originally changed from the 64-bit version of the Developer Preview to the 32-bit version of the Developer Preview, they were the same version, but since then there have been probably 4 to 5 updates, all with the same issue.

And thanks, by the way. I appreciate the help. I've been able to work around it, so it's not a big deal, but I'm still curious of why it's happening and if it could be fixed.

Edit: Still doing some experiments and found that the issue still exists in safe mode.

McOgre fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 2, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but, about two days ago, Gmail turned into some kind of abomination of design. They had been threatening it for a while now, but it had always been optional... until now. Now it's forced and there's no option to change it back and the "themes" available don't make it any better.

Every time I open Gmail it's disheartening. Please, somebody tell me there is a legendary hero somewhere who thought ahead and created some sort of Greasemonkey script or an extension or a stylesheet or sorts that I can load into my Firefox and fix this abomination.
This is from the previous page, but since nobody answered:

Scroll down on this page for a bookmarklet which will restore the old Gmail. And when Google inevitably takes that away, you can use the the Stylish extension technique described on the top part of the page.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Is there any way to get the new Firefox version to stop centering the page on "find on page"/"find as you type" results?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So at some point between Monday and Yesterday, I lost to ability to enlarge embedded thumbnails on SA...I assume FF issued an update that broke whatever was letting it work before?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There was a forums update to fix timg in Chrome (and make embeds work on iPads). It still works for me in Firefox 12.

Jack MacAskill
Feb 21, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

So at some point between Monday and Yesterday, I lost to ability to enlarge embedded thumbnails on SA...I assume FF issued an update that broke whatever was letting it work before?
My resolution pop-up disappeared but I could still click in the general area and it'd work. Next day it came back, but about ten pixels lower. v:v:v

All else fails, Image Zoom is often preferable to switching to the default size (i.e. all fuckclobberin' huge pics). The full image is already loaded, so you're not just blowing up a thumbnail.

Jack MacAskill fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 3, 2012

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Jack MacAskill posted:

My resolution pop-up disappeared but I could still click in the general area and it'd work. Next day it came back, but about ten pixels lower. v:v:v

All else fails, Image Zoom is often preferable to switching to the default size (i.e. all fuckclobberin' huge pics). The full image is already loaded, so you're not just blowing up a thumbnail.

Edit: I'm dumb. Similar issue--thumbnailed/quoted pics on the SA forum no longer open in a new tab via middle-click after switching to Firefox 12. Is there any way around this other than Ctrl-R-click --> View image? (or installing an addon just for one problem on one site?)

Is there maybe something somewhere in options that I'm missing?

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 3, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm as puzzled as you are. If it might help, dragging the thumbpic to the tab bar is quite a bit faster for me than right click -> View image (though I use tree-style tabs so I have a huge space to the left to drag it to).

Also, instead of keeping Ctrl pressed, you can just middle click on View image to open it in a new tab.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

dragging the thumbpic to the tab bar

Cool--hadn't even thought of that. Thanks! That will do the trick for now, but I hope something gets fixed somewhere.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Re: expanding timgs

Install this script.

Mouseover a timg and right-click the resolution indicator to view it with the element inspector. Hide it with Adblock Plus.

Bonus: this seems to play nicer with SALR's auto-resizing of large images as well.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
It seems Firefox isn't playing nice with Youtubes player size anymore. Keeps defaulting me to small player.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Since updating to 12 on both my work and home computers, some websites will automatically jump down a page or 2. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which ones will, though the same ones will every time. Any thoughts?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone else experience a slew of problems with the Gizmodo/Lifehacker/Gawker et al series of blogs?

Initially, I was just getting problems with links sometimes not loading on their pages unless I hit ctrl+F5, or click in the address bar and hit enter. But today, I have even weirder problems. This is what Lifehacker looks like to me right now:

And it never stops trying to load things...the 'loading' circle in the tab keeps on spinning...and it's the same for all the other blogs run by that blog company/software/whatever.

I've turned off NoScript and ADP entirely, still get the same problems.

Edit: I just tried to loaf them in Chrome and nothing came up...blank page, also no script blocking going on...so maybe the sites are having problems?

But the problem with links not loading on those pages is an ongoing thing I've experienced for weeks.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone else experience a slew of problems with the Gizmodo/Lifehacker/Gawker et al series of blogs?
Yes, they're a cancerous shitpile of incompetence and sensationalism occasionally interspersed with outright hypocrisy and dishonesty.

...oh wait, you meant the layout? :v:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
They really strive for the design to match the content. I consider it a feature, ever since they launched that godawful webapp design I haven't even been tempted to go over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are you using some lovely non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security program? If so, uninstall it completely and try again. If not, try updating your network adapter drivers. If you have the same problem on other computers on your network, try updating your router firmware and resetting it to factory defaults.